Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

As much as I don't want to I'm probably going to go Jeskai just because All of Temur's better cards this time around are also red or blue, which Jeskai has.

Black and Green seem kind of eh in this sealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Someone help me decide between Jeskai or Temur for the prerelease events. :geno: I like red's removal options but I'm torn between Jeskai's prowess stuff (plus the potential of getting a Monastery Master in the pack) but Sealed relies heavily on quality of creatures and I think Temur has that in spades. I'd consider Abzan but I don't like the quality of black removal in the block so far.

Jeskai has the best promos by far. I think thats the only reason to play it in the pre release. If you want to win, play Abzan.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

As much as I don't want to I'm probably going to go Jeskai just because All of Temur's better cards this time around are also red or blue, which Jeskai has.

Black and Green seem kind of eh in this sealed.

LSV and Marshall kept mentioning that Prowess is something you have to commit/go deep on to make it work. Might be difficult with a sealed pool rather than draft.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I am going Temur, just for the bear-punching fun.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've gone for Mardu for the simple reason I've played Mardu this standard season and it's the one I know most about, probably gonna get smashed but if I can get a couple of California surfin' goblin I'll be happy

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm passing on mardu because I'm pretty sure black and red have more garbage commons than other colors.

I'm thinking Jeskai or Temur, because blue is the best.

I'm really not sure how to evaluate Manifest. It seems to get better if your deck has more undercosted vanilla creatures and worse if your deck has more powerful instants and sorceries. Like if I manifest my one Treasure Cruise or, heaven forbid, Ugin, it will ruin my day. It's probably better in draft where you have more equal card quality and more redundancy.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 15, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Going as Jeskai because always kung fu.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AceClown posted:

I've gone for Mardu for the simple reason I've played Mardu this standard season and it's the one I know most about, probably gonna get smashed but if I can get a couple of California surfin' goblin I'll be happy
I'm doing this as well but only because sultai in sealed seems like a great way to go 0-X.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I'm probably going to do what I did for the Khans pre-release except this time not do Sultai and go Jeskai instead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Mortal Combat was the card that sparked an interest in deck building in me and made me abandon R/G big stuff. I put together a deck chock full of buried alives, innocent bloods, festering goblins, accursed centuar (synergy! :downs:) and implausible win cons. At least the RG pile had flametongue kavus.

So naturally, I'm going Sultai. Opening a Qarsi High Priest would make my day.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Temur if possible. I'm bad at limited and its the "drop big dudes" strategy.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Temur has Ethereal Ambush at common and Temur Sabertooth at uncommon. Jeskai's got some bombs too but I really like the look of Temur for the pre-release.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Equilibrium posted:

Temur has Ethereal Ambush at common and Temur Sabertooth at uncommon. Jeskai's got some bombs too but I really like the look of Temur for the pre-release.

Temur also has Temur Battle Rage which is going to blow so many loving people out. What do you mean your 4/4 is now trampling through my 1/1 chump blocker for 7 damage?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The more I think about it the more I'm torn. Mardu served me so well at the KTK pre release but blue is just evasion out the nose this set.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Gonna be Sultai for sure, same as last time. Sultai best clan

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'm signed up for Mardu at the Midnighter, because HOOOOOOOOOOORDE.

Abzan at 5pm on Sunday, and I;m planning on doing Jeskai at one of the others if I can find the time. I'm not sold on Sultai, and while Temur looks good I did them at the one Khans prerelease I went to. Maybe if I do a fourth.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Going Mardu at my first prerelease. If I do another, I'm probably gonna go Jeskai or Abzan. Haven't done a prerelease since Dark Ascension.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's kind of lovely from a prerelease perspective that the only 2 chase rare's that could be a promo are both in Jeskai...

Alaan
May 24, 2005

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/fate-reforged-update-bulletin-comprehensive-rule-changes-2015-01-15

Small comp rules update for FRF. Nothing too crazy. Though ChewyLSB is outraged by the removal of Anteaters as a creature type. Also an Oracle update linked on the bottom.

Edit: RIP super powered Daru Stinger. once again you are only a soldier.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 15, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Devor posted:

LSV and Marshall kept mentioning that Prowess is something you have to commit/go deep on to make it work. Might be difficult with a sealed pool rather than draft.

Yeah this is my feeling so far, that Prowess is cool but I can't guarantee the right spells. I may still do it because it'll be interesting.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Does the change to 711.2a change the color identity of double-faced cards like Garruk Relentless?

EDIT: Or, more interestingly, Elbrus, the Binding Blade.

vvv EDIT EDIT: I'm betting it's "bolstered".

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 15, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I changed a word in the description of the Archenemy variant. You might be amused at which one I changed and why. I won't spoil it.

...I want to know...

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The comp rules on their page haven't actually updated it yet. So if you really care, DL that now and check later when the rules doc is updated.

LordSaturn posted:

Does the change to 711.2a change the color identity of double-faced cards like Garruk Relentless?

EDIT: Or, more interestingly, Elbrus, the Binding Blade.

vvv EDIT EDIT: I'm betting it's "bolstered".

I'm thinking that is for something like Wishes. So if you had a Glittering Wish you couldn't find Garruk Relentless because he's green when outside the game. His color identity would be the same as at present though.

Edit: or for your example Living Wish couldn't find Elbrus because it's an Artifact - Equipment outside the game, not a creature.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 15, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Wouldn't that also change the EDH deckbuilding rules? Like, I would love to be able to throw Elbrus into my Jor Kadeen deck.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd be shocked if it changed identity. It's just clarifying how they are treated when a spell or effect looks outside the game. I'm quite sure the wording will basically be identical to how we treat a DFC in the graveyard.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Alaan posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/fate-reforged-update-bulletin-comprehensive-rule-changes-2015-01-15

Small comp rules update for FRF. Nothing too crazy. Though ChewyLSB is outraged by the removal of Anteaters as a creature type. Also an Oracle update linked on the bottom.

At least there was a good explination about it.

quote:

Prowling Pangolin was printed as a Beast. But a pangolin is an actual animal, and actual animals get corresponding creature types. Beast is sort of code for "we don't know what the heck this is" or "we made something up." A pangolin is (perhaps) a kind of anteater. Or maybe it's related to an anteater. Or maybe it had lunch once with an anteater. No one really knows. I tried watching Nat Geo to figure it out, but that went nowhere. I did go to the San Diego Zoo a few months ago and saw a pangolin. She was sleeping. So adorable. Where was I?

Oh, right. So we created a creature type for this card: Anteater. But there are no other Anteaters in Magic. To my knowledge, none are on the way. (Although they're fairly slow, so who knows?) This creature type really has little business existing, so we're getting rid of it. Prowling Pangolin will stand as a Beast for now. I'm lobbying Rosewater for a race of sentient pangolin-folk in an upcoming world. Stay tuned.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That doesn't explain why there are four different mustelid creature types still active and yet all Dinosaurs are Lizards

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Alaan posted:

Haha this back and forth switching is so silly.

Now how about some respect for scornful egoist's identity choices, Tabak? :colbert:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'd prefer if creatures whose type lines referenced existing creature types just had their typeline as their creature type even if it doesn't fit some paradigm of typing. easier to remember that floral spuzzem isn't a spuzzem because there's no spuzzems than remember what actual types all the spellshapers are or whatever

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd prefer if at all possible they reprint such cards to show an updated version.

Waterfront Bouncer, for example, STILL confuses people in my cube.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bouncer definitely does not look like a merfolk. And two blocks before the first legged merfolk I think.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd prefer if at all possible they reprint such cards to show an updated version.

Waterfront Bouncer, for example, STILL confuses people in my cube.

Get a paper printout of the Vintage Masters version of Bouncer and stick it in the sleeve over the actual card. It has the proper type line.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

I changed a word in the description of the Archenemy variant. You might be amused at which one I changed and why. I won't spoil it.

...I want to know...

I have an old version of the rules saved. Do you have a link for the latest version?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alaan posted:

Bouncer definitely does not look like a merfolk. And two blocks before the first legged merfolk I think.

False.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I won the KTK prerelease at my LGS using Abzan. I then put Sidisi whip together for the standard season.

I really think I may go Abzan again since outlast/bolster is going to be huge. Although I really want to do Jeskai since it's just so drat good in FRF.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I won the KTK prerelease at my LGS using Abzan. I then put Sidisi whip together for the standard season.

I really think I may go Abzan again since outlast/bolster is going to be huge. Although I really want to do Jeskai since it's just so drat good in FRF.
I'm going Mardu since most of the good bolster stuff is in white anyways and I really like the amount of red removal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I have an old version of the rules saved. Do you have a link for the latest version?

I don't but looking at the MTG site the rule says something about the archenemy being bolstered by his schemes so I imagine that was the joke.

I am not amused.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Alaan posted:

Saprazzan merfolk can switch between legs and feet. I will admit that even I didn't realize the Bouncer was a merfolk until Lorwyn, though. It's just a big blue muscle dude.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Chorocojo posted:

Saprazzan merfolk can switch between legs and feet. I will admit that even I didn't realize the Bouncer was a merfolk until Lorwyn, though. It's just a big blue muscle dude.

Until I I was scrounging through merfolk on magiccards.info I don't think I had never seen the Saprazzan Bailiff and I definitely didn't read any Masques books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AlternateNu posted:

Wouldn't that also change the EDH deckbuilding rules? Like, I would love to be able to throw Elbrus into my Jor Kadeen deck.

The rule hasn't changed. It's just being explicitly called out as being an exception in the rules now.

• Locked thread