Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress those cheat mods or typing in codes. Here is what I use as I like making cities rather then dealing with money any more. Bored with budget management.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/343-super-cash-park/

It's listed in the park menu and the picture there is what it looks like in game. Obviously, don't use it as decoration as it crashes after awhile. It also doesn't say cash park in game so make a note of the picture in the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Tai posted:

gently caress those cheat mods or typing in codes. Here is what I use as I like making cities rather then dealing with money any more. Bored with budget management.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/343-super-cash-park/

It's listed in the park menu and the picture there is what it looks like in game. Obviously, don't use it as decoration as it crashes after awhile. It also doesn't say cash park in game so make a note of the picture in the link.

Better solution: add the extra cheats.dll file to your plugins folder (it won't work in a subfolder, so put it right in "Documents\Simcity 4\Plugins"). Hit ctl-X, type "Moolah " followed by literally any number less than a trillion. BOOM, you now have that much money.

Much easier that using weaknesspays over and over again, and doesn't require babysitting an in-game money factory.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hey dispo, any luck with those mod packs?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Tusen Takk posted:

Jesus loving christ, the whole dependancy thing wouldn't be too bad if not for the ridiculous amount of .exe's instead of just uploading a .zip of the .dats or whatever the gently caress type of file dependancies are.

This is the absolute worst thing. Over Christmas I started playing again for a bit after about 4 years away. I had deleted all my plugins so had to start afresh and having to install hundreds of plugins really is unbearable. Most of the installers open readmes as well. Luckily I found the gigapack of dependencies I uploaded for a previous version of this thread, it was the most complete collection available AFAIK for 2011. I may upload to Megaupload if anyone is interested, it's about 2gb in size.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Came here to post this :downs:

So uh, what are superior mac users supposed to do here? :v:

Download WinOnX from the mac app store.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I too just discovered the download all dependences button :magical:

Edit: jesus loving christ what have you goons gotten me into

Where are you seeing a download all button? Fairly decent dependency list there.

Metrication posted:

This is the absolute worst thing. Over Christmas I started playing again for a bit after about 4 years away. I had deleted all my plugins so had to start afresh and having to install hundreds of plugins really is unbearable. Most of the installers open readmes as well. Luckily I found the gigapack of dependencies I uploaded for a previous version of this thread, it was the most complete collection available AFAIK for 2011. I may upload to Megaupload if anyone is interested, it's about 2gb in size.

2GB of dependencies? Jesus..

Probably could do with a goon mega pack of just dependency files for people to start their own mod packs if they'd rather tinker with all of that.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Tai posted:

Where are you seeing a download all button? Fairly decent dependency list there.

2GB of dependencies? Jesus..

Probably could do with a goon mega pack of just dependency files for people to start their own mod packs if they'd rather tinker with all of that.

I made a mistake, it's actually 3.24gb...

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
The worst dependencies are the ones that get in your loving way after you've installed them.

A semi-complete list of the garbage cluttering up my menus that I can't remove due to them being dependencies of some lot or other:
  • Nine puzzle pieces to make the "rural rail station" of my dreams.
  • Six different canal puzzle piece sets.
  • Four crappy powerplants
  • Three lovely water towers
  • A full set of "forest trail" puzzle pieces.
  • My landmark menu is a monstrous torrent of crap oh please god help me.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yeah, a lot of dependency files add buildings into menus you weren't interested in. Its loving annoying. The mega packs do reduce it compared to what it used to be but some authors are poo poo.

The puzzle pieces are fine aslong as its packed into one menu icon and you use home/tab to switch around. I delete the ones where its a seperate menu icon for each loving piece unless it's really cool looking like some of the park pieces in the BSC lots.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I just want airport and seaport decorative ploppables that don't require a gig of lovely dependencies each. That and nuclear power complexes

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
RMIP for airports is about your best bet for realistically sized, good looking small and large airports. The dependencies really aren't too bad for that one

As for modular/decorative seaports, PEG is my go to modder.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
The unbearable menu clutter when you want to use more than a few mods is one reason my recent fling with SC4 didn't last too long. That and some of the technical gubbins.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I put some more work into my region. I think it's basically done at this point as adding in anything else would really start taking away from the "realism." Though I may try tidying up a few areas. Particularly the Rye area as I tried to build more farms there, but was up against the farm cap, and now it's a bunch of road spaghetti with nothing growing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hey so good news! Tai's pack work on Mac, kinda. So this means that you should be able to pick and choose which .dats you want and toss them in, but me and I SMOKE WEE are working on a MacPack that is small and robust since our superior operating system gets lazy developers to port PC poo poo over.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I hate all the extra menu clutter enough that I even uncheck about half the stuff in the NAM. I don't need third-level road overpasses.

Also, I was just reading some old posts in this thread and someone lamented that they'd been playing SimCity 4 for a decade and just wished they could turn off those annoying adviser popups. For anyone else that's sick of them and hasn't found it: In the play options there's an Urgent Advice Dialogs checkbox.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Tusen Takk posted:

Hey dispo, any luck with those mod packs?

Nope! I'm going to give it another whack today. :downs:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Is there any good wiki/tutorial sites for SC4? Reading through devotion and simtropolis has more high end tutorials, but I'm just looking for basic stuff like how many squares a zone has to be to get certain densities ect. Also does it matter if the game makes a bunch of thin 3x1 zones as opposed to a single 3x3 zone when I drag out a new area?

I'm bad at video games :smith:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Nah, those are really good questions.

Re zone sizes: From my experience it seems like if you have e.g. two 2x1 lots next to each other, the game can build either two 2x1 lots or one 2x2 lot on it, whereas if you have one 2x2 lot it will only build a 2x2 lot (if it can - sometimes it means the lot doesn't get filled right away). But someone else should confirm whether that's actually correct. You can hold various combinations of Ctrl, Alt and Shift to get all sorts of different angles and configurations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Check this out: https://m.facebook.com/notes/simcity-4/simcity-4-tips-and-tricks-development/265917665813

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Nition posted:

Nah, those are really good questions.

Re zone sizes: From my experience it seems like if you have e.g. two 2x1 lots next to each other, the game can build either two 2x1 lots or one 2x2 lot on it, whereas if you have one 2x2 lot it will only build a 2x2 lot (if it can - sometimes it means the lot doesn't get filled right away). But someone else should confirm whether that's actually correct. You can hold various combinations of Ctrl, Alt and Shift to get all sorts of different angles and configurations.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works. The game won't chunk out big residential and commercial zones to put in smaller buildings, so if you only want to develop those huge 6x6 hi-rises you can make a single 6x6 zone and nothing else will go there, for better or for worse.

Industrial zones work completely differently and spread out from an initial building touching a road. If you make it so that only one building in the zone is next to a road you can control what kind of development will go in and make exclusive hi-tech industrial parks and similar.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So to get past stage 8 you need parks right? For commercial do the only parks that count are plazas?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For commercial, transit links to other communities (including rail, air, and sea) and total regional population matter most. And level 8 is the cap without CAM I believe.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks, this was really helpful right off the bat.

So my next question stems from this link. It seems to imply that there are population limiters that prevent zones from becoming more dense? The problem I'm having on my first small town is that my residential demand is very high but even changing my zones to medium density is not allowing anyone else to move in. Do I need to bulldoze some farms to make more low density res to get my pop to a certain level that unlocks medium res zones? also is there like a list of this or other requirements for getting zones to upgrade ie parks/water ect?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Glorgnole posted:

I'm pretty sure this is how it works. The game won't chunk out big residential and commercial zones to put in smaller buildings, so if you only want to develop those huge 6x6 hi-rises you can make a single 6x6 zone and nothing else will go there, for better or for worse.

Industrial zones work completely differently and spread out from an initial building touching a road. If you make it so that only one building in the zone is next to a road you can control what kind of development will go in and make exclusive hi-tech industrial parks and similar.

Cool. Although the tallest buildings are actually 4x4.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Thanks, this was really helpful right off the bat.

So my next question stems from this link. It seems to imply that there are population limiters that prevent zones from becoming more dense? The problem I'm having on my first small town is that my residential demand is very high but even changing my zones to medium density is not allowing anyone else to move in. Do I need to bulldoze some farms to make more low density res to get my pop to a certain level that unlocks medium res zones? also is there like a list of this or other requirements for getting zones to upgrade ie parks/water ect?

For medium density, they need water. Do the test yourself connect some pipes, and watch the buildings grow.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Nition posted:

Cool. Although the tallest buildings are actually 4x4.

Whoops! There must have been a few bigger ones in one of the modpacks then, because I got huge buildings with 20k people each in my hyperdense dystopian hellscape experiment city.

Pro tip: you can cram even more people into your city by growing a bunch of dense R$$ and R$$$ and intentionally distressing them by taking away all the services!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

So to get past stage 8 you need parks right? For commercial do the only parks that count are plazas?

And XX amount of residents. Certain RCI buildings will not build until you hit X amount of that population.

Then there's also X amount of IQ to get R$$$ etc and then X amount of R$$$ to get I-HT then X amount of I-HT to get the cool looking big lots of 10x10 nvidia growable buildings etc (mods/CAM).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tusen Takk posted:

Hey so good news! Tai's pack work on Mac, kinda. So this means that you should be able to pick and choose which .dats you want and toss them in, but me and I SMOKE WEE are working on a MacPack that is small and robust since our superior operating system gets lazy developers to port PC poo poo over.

God bless you noble heroes. SimCity 4 is the only PC game in my experience that runs better on OSX vs Windows, as far as my MacBook is concerned.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Tai posted:

And XX amount of residents. Certain RCI buildings will not build until you hit X amount of that population.

Then there's also X amount of IQ to get R$$$ etc and then X amount of R$$$ to get I-HT then X amount of I-HT to get the cool looking big lots of 10x10 nvidia growable buildings etc (mods/CAM).

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Is there any concise list of all those x values?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Census repository and Camelot Counter will help if you're using mods- mousing over the different values will review additional detail about minimum requirements for population and whatnot.

Here are the numbers for the unmodded game.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hell yeah, I got a functional MacPack going. Upload coming soon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Actually, I lied. I'm getting some brown boxes. I had a feeling that I missed a few dependancies. I'll track them down in the morning then upload a solid starter MacPack.

Does anyone know if Google Drive is good enough to host this stuff on?

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Okay, so CAM says that if you use the Crime Doesn't Pay Mod have it load after CAM... can I add x__ before CDP so it does or will that gently caress everything

That should be fine.

Tai posted:

I made something like that a while ago with the most common dependencies all in one download; it's linked in the OP but I'll link it here again: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n66339svskduc6k

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Actually, I lied. I'm getting some brown boxes. I had a feeling that I missed a few dependancies. I'll track them down in the morning then upload a solid starter MacPack.

Does anyone know if Google Drive is good enough to host this stuff on?

Few people had problems with my initial pack downloading off google drive so I put it on mega.nz and no ones mentioned any problems since.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I haven't played SC4 in a while. Is there a mod that requires parking for cars? Or is that beyond what SC4 can really do?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Iunnrais posted:

I haven't played SC4 in a while. Is there a mod that requires parking for cars? Or is that beyond what SC4 can really do?

I don't get what you mean by a mod requiring parking. Do you mean are there mods that do parking?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Iunnrais posted:

If it were possible to make all commercial and industrial buildings only accessible by pedestrians it could be done, I think, but you would probably need to do it individually for all buildings which is impossible to coordinate if you use mods.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay guys, here it is: MacPack v1.0

This is the essential stuff that will make the game better but not beachball upon loading and other fun and exciting stuff. I tested this across three different cities and fixed the brown boxes that I got, but I haven't managed to get any stage 15 buildings to grow, so if one of you cool kids manage to do that and suddenly see brown boxes everywhere, please let me know so I can update the pack (as well as my stuff :3:). It's only a 1.2GB folder, and I tried to organise it. Included in this pack are:
  • NAM
  • CAM
  • SPAM
  • IH census fix
  • Operahouse fix
  • Crime Doesn't Pay (this makes police stations actually do something to mega lots such as universities and airports)
  • Functional Landmarks (this makes your big beautiful landmarks that you place actually do something instead of stoically sit in your city)
  • an underground parking garage based 211 W Fort St here in beautiful Detroit
  • extremely high-capacity hospital (St Anne's) and K-12 school (Japanese Urban School)
  • an Air Purification Plant (this is a park that looks neat and also cleans the air, obviously)
  • Radius doubler mod
  • a garbage dump that puts all trash into the earth's molten core
  • a park that will generate $4billion dollars once plopped (I really only recommend using it for a month then knocking it down so you don't crash your game)
  • Since we are all MacBook Bros, it was necessary to add the Flagship 5th Ave Apple Store to this pack. It can be found under Landmarks.
  • CAMeLOT Counter and Census Repository and Vault
  • finally, a bunch of CAMeLOTs that will grow.
I don't remember if I downloaded any farming CAMeLOTs, but honestly I'm not super into building little farming communities so if there's some demand for it I'll add them in the next version. To install this on the Aspyr App Store version, simply paste it into Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ [username] ▸ Library ▸ Containers ▸ com.aspyr.simcity4.appstore ▸ Data ▸ Documents ▸ SimCity 4 ▸ Plugins

Here are some pictures:

This is what I've done with it so far:

This pack *MAY* also work on PC's, and since it is small and doesn't have any terrain mods, it's great for people who have been getting upset with the amount of CTD's they've been getting. I'm still testing it to make sure, so for now, PC users be warned. I hope everyone enjoys it, and if *PUNCH* could add this to the OP that would be dope as h*ck

EDIT: *PUNCH* If you could link to this post so I can post minor updates as we find brown boxes that would be pretty cool

Brown Boxes and their fixes:
If you want to be organised, you can do this
  • On Mac, make a folder under Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Containers > com.aspyr.simcity4.appstore > Data > Documents > SimCity 4 > Plugins >; CAMeLOTs > Dependancies and call it BrownBox Fixes
  • On Windows, do the same thing except under your My Documents or Programme Files (x86), whichever you prefer
otherwise, just unzip it and paste them into the CAMeLOT folder under plugins

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 2, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Man, that sounds like pretty much exactly what I want in terms of mods as well. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nition posted:

Man, that sounds like pretty much exactly what I want in terms of mods as well. Thanks!

No problem! I just found four more brown boxes, so in the post there's a link to the fixes and where to put them

• Locked thread