Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Drad_Bert posted:

Not to be disruptive but the pigs in GIP hate this thread and probably conspired to take its last iteration down (as if this isn't common knowledge)

In other words, keep up the good work!

This isn't helpful rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SinistralRifleman posted:

If you wonder why police respond to situations the way they do:

“[Dinkheller] was polite and gave the [Brannan] every possible chance to comply, and for his troubles he was shot nine times in the chest, abdomen, arms and legs. Then he had the killer stand over him and say “die fucker!” and was executed by a shot to the right eye. That video was then played to every new cop in the country. Every cop can find a bit of himself in Deputy Dinkheller.

“If there was ever a moment when a young cop said “Oh poo poo…this is for real, this isn’t just a way to get out of speeding tickets and retire at 55″ it’s from watching that video for the first time” said Officer Valentine.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/01/the-man-responsible-for-the-dashcam-video-that-changed-everything-has-been-executed/

And then just from a few weeks ago:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/27842220/2015/01/13/police-camera-shows-final-moments-before-man-killed-flagstaff-officer

Polite and reasonable just like you all want the police to be, and he's killed in an instant.

The repeated citation of Dinkheller points to the rarity of the event. Police are not the only ones who face death in an instant, the only difference is they can behave with militarized impunity. 3-gun competitions encourage this mindset, as fun as they are.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

“[Dinkheller] was polite and gave the [Brannan] every possible chance to comply, and for his troubles he was shot nine times in the chest, abdomen, arms and legs. Then he had the killer stand over him and say “die fucker!” and was executed by a shot to the right eye. That video was then played to every new cop in the country. Every cop can find a bit of himself in Deputy Dinkheller.

“If there was ever a moment when a young cop said “Oh poo poo…this is for real, this isn’t just a way to get out of speeding tickets and retire at 55″ it’s from watching that video for the first time” said Officer Valentine.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/01/the-man-responsible-for-the-dashcam-video-that-changed-everything-has-been-executed/

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/27842220/2015/01/13/police-camera-shows-final-moments-before-man-killed-flagstaff-officer

Polite and reasonable just like you all want the police to be, and he's killed in an instant.

It's pretty clear that is more evidence that police rile themselves up with statistically insignificant horror stories that foster an "us versus them" mentality and the result is a lot of dead people that didn't have to be killed rather than a sensible reason for police maleficence.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Should I swear at everyone that comes near me when I leave my mom's basement because one time a person was murdered? I live "in" Chicago the chances are probably pretty high! A guy got stabbed to death behind my apartment once! Get the gently caress away from me I'm gonna loving swear at you!

anonumos posted:

"Bad apple."

hahahaha

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 15, 2015

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

"Bad apple."

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

The repeated citation of Dinkheller points to the rarity of the event. Police are not the only ones who face death in an instant, the only difference is they can behave with militarized impunity.

For a forum that concerns itself with being culturally aware, you show little regard for being aware of the reasons behind why police are responding the way they are today. No doubt that video of the Flagstaff officer will be shown to another generation of police officers as a training tool (I notice you chose not to address that one).

Dinkheller is cited because it's one of the few fully documented on video. Police deaths at the hands of criminals used to be more common. Now traffic accidents are the most common cause of death, followed by responding to domestic violence situations,. Society has to decide what it actually wants from the police. If you expect them to be proactive and deal with criminals, it is unlikely they will actually do that job or be able to without certain immunities. If you want them to be held accountable the same as average citizens, they they have to be given the option to opt out and say "this isn't worth the risk". I don't think the public would like that in the end unless they were also empowered to defend themselves more across the country: but the people here are largely against that as well.

quote:

3-gun competitions encourage this mindset, as fun as they are.

Neither article referenced 3 gun competition so I assume you're referencing it because I shoot 3 gun myself. Not sure where or if you shoot 3 gun, but most aren't scenario based and are simply solving technical shooting problems under stress. If I had a choice between the NYPD that shoots and hits multiple innocent bystanders because of lack of training and practice and police that consistently hit what they're aiming at, I'll pick the latter.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Should I swear at everyone that comes near me when I leave my mom's basement because one time a person was murdered? I live "in" Chicago the chances are probably pretty high! A guy got stabbed to death behind my apartment once! Get the gently caress away from me I'm gonna loving swear at you!

You could structure the way you live to avoid confrontations or minimize them (same as police using defensive tactics)
Or you could move to a safer area (same as just telling the police to quit if they feel unsafe) but that may not be economically viable for you (or for individual officers)

SinistralRifleman fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 15, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you want them to be held accountable the same as average citizens, they they have to be given the option to opt out and say "this isn't worth the risk".

They already have this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

It's pretty clear that is more evidence that police rile themselves up with statistically insignificant horror stories that foster an "us versus them" mentality and the result is a lot of dead people that didn't have to be killed rather than a sensible reason for police maleficence.

The question to ask is why are they statistically insignificant, is it because of the tactics and procedures police generally use or is it because they're simply insignificant?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The question to ask is why are they statistically insignificant, is it because of the tactics and procedures police generally use or is it because they're simply insignificant?

I guess the next question is exactly how many lives are a cop's worth?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dinkheller is cited because it's one of the few fully documented on video. Police deaths at the hands of criminals used to be more common. Now traffic accidents are the most common cause of death, followed by responding to domestic violence situations,. Society has to decide what it actually wants from the police. If you expect them to be proactive and deal with criminals, it is unlikely they will actually do that job or be able to without certain immunities. If you want them to be held accountable the same as average citizens, they they have to be given the option to opt out and say "this isn't worth the risk". I don't think the public would like that in the end unless they were also empowered to defend themselves more across the country: but the people here are largely against that as well.

Uh I'm pretty sure nobody here expects police officers to operate under the same laws as ordinary citizens, people expect them to do their job in an ethical way. Which, again, works fairly well in other countries.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Police deaths at the hands of criminals used to be more common.

When, please, was there a high period of police officer death at the hand of criminals? Prohibition?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

If you expect them to be proactive and deal with criminals

This is not in any way, shape or form the role of police in the liberal republic, this is a nonsensical fantasy peddled by comics. All that proactive police evokes to me is Javert.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 15, 2015

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

You could structure the way you live to avoid confrontations or minimize them (same as police using defensive tactics)
Or you could move to a safer area (same as just telling the police to quit if they feel unsafe) but that may not be economically viable for you (or for individual officers)

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were responding to people saying that the police should be more respectful when talking to people, not swearing at them and all.

I get that they are in more dangerous situations than most people. Even if the chance is slight they're constantly worried about it. But I was saying a couple pages ago that when they are in those situations, they shouldn't run in by themselves and put everyone at risk. We're talking about change in policing so I think more money needs to be spent on it so that officers feel comfortable in these situations with better training (if it exists, I don't know?) and more than one guy responding to calls. I also think we should take all the money from the drug war and spend it on rehab, education, and job training in low income areas but that's never going to happen.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Police deaths at the hands of criminals used to be more common.

When and where are you pulling that? Places that I've lived or applied to PDs more cops were killed in auto or motorcycle accidents than were killed by criminals.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Gravel Gravy posted:

When and where are you pulling that? Places that I've lived or applied to PDs more cops were killed in auto or motorcycle accidents than were killed by criminals.

spoiler alert: his butthole

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Very few firefighters die every year, this doesn't mean fire isn't dangerous or that all the precautions and equipment they use unnecessary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jarmak posted:

Very few firefighters die every year, this doesn't mean fire isn't dangerous or that all the precautions and equipment they use unnecessary.

This analogy isn't applicable unless firefighters are throwing people into the fire to make sure it isn't hot enough to kill them.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jarmak posted:

So to prevent fires, firefighters should perform controlled demolitions of buildings they don't like so that they never have the chance to catch on fire.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Radish posted:

This analogy isn't applicable unless firefighters are throwing people into the fire to make sure it isn't hot enough to kill them.

That doesn't change the analogy at all

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

So to prevent fires, firefighters should perform controlled demolitions of buildings they don't like so that they never have the chance to catch on fire.

You realize they do this right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jarmak posted:

That doesn't change the analogy at all

Your analogy is still bad. Just because firefighters take precautions which result in their safety, it doesn't have anything to do with if over aggressive police actions actually make their jobs safer.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Radish posted:

Your analogy is still bad. Just because firefighters take precautions which result in their safety, it doesn't have anything to do with if over aggressive police actions actually make their jobs safer.

Of course not. At the same time, you have what evidence they don't?

Being paranoid as hell most likely does make them safer - the real question (to borrow Jarmak's analogy) is whether they're doing controlled demolitions only of buildings that pose a real danger to occupants and surroundings, or whether they're demolishing all the black buildings because they're scared of the paint jobs even though they actually aren't a danger. And what the appropriate level of investigation of the buildings structural stability is prior to demolition.

It's actually a really depressing analogy!

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Maybe. But they at least make sure they target the right building and don't demolish 7 or 12 year old buildings because they consider them more dangerous if are painted in dark color.

That also face real punishment if they did. So your comparison is still off by a wide margin & is stupid.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jarmak posted:

Analogies are always bad but this one is especially horrible. That's like saying very few people die of exposure in the US every year and yet houses remain necessary.

The technologies and precautions and equipment firefighters employ are employed against an environmental hazard, whereas for police they're employed against fellow citizens. Firefighters can't, except in tenuous circumstances if you want to be tendentious, cause the deaths of other people in protecting themselves. Police can. So the debate, no matter what side you're on, isn't helped by this analogy.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jarmak posted:

Firefighters also break out car windows when it isn't necessary as a form of vigilante justice.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Gravel Gravy posted:

There is data laying around at places like this: NLEO which some might accuse of a bias. A cursory look at BLS data indicates the if any favorable slants have been taken, it isn't much.

Even though being a cop isn't statistically more dangerous than other professions, homicide is such a personal thing and it seems preventable, so it causes outrage.

Also, older data shows taxi drivers have it the worst.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jarmak posted:

Firefighters demolish buildings because the owner looks at them the wrong way, they missed the fire extinguisher recharge dates, or it doesn't fit the village's rustic aesthetic? Maybe we should have a thread on corrupt firefighters!

Unless you mean planned demolitions of condemned or unsafe structures, in which case, yeah?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gravel Gravy posted:

Firefighters demolish buildings because the owner looks at them the wrong way, they missed the fire extinguisher recharge dates, or it doesn't fit the village's rustic aesthetic? Maybe we should have a thread on corrupt firefighters!

Unless you mean planned demolitions of condemned or unsafe structures, in which case, yeah?

They'll let your home burn if you don't pay your $75 fee.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Pope Guilty posted:

This isn't helpful rhetoric.

But did you die?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

#trailerhomesmatter

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

they were right to do so, gently caress free riders

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Hello, State Farm? Yeah, I'd like to purchase fire insurance" *looks out at pile of burning posessions in yard*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

quote:

Bell and her boyfriend said they were aware of the policy, but thought a fire would never happen to them.

How much you want to bet that if a levy came up on the ballot to fund firefighting services for the entire county, they would have voted against it?

I don't have any sympathy for them. They weren't maimed or killed, they just lost their bet that they wouldn't have a fire. It sucks that there is such a deeply dysfunctional rural community that simply refuses to pay for the most basic services. Maybe Tennessee's legislature should pass a state constitutional amendment requiring all counties to collect taxes for the provision of firefighting services (whether provided directly by the county government, or contracted to city governments), but until then I don't see why the citizens of a city should be asked to provide for a bunch of deadbeats.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I should start a bluegrass Belle & Sebastian cover band called Bell and her Boyfriend.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cop stuff:

Here's a rising star cop in Baltimore that reported police brutality and was run off the force for it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ex-baltimore-labeled-rat-police-brutality-claim-article-1.2077632

Here's cool, fun footage of the police rolling up to a crowd of celebrating college kids who are in the street and indiscriminately dousing them with pepper-spray and tear-gassing them (in full camo military gear) to get them to leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDHuQ8pylmA

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Analogies are always bad but this one is especially horrible. That's like saying very few people die of exposure in the US every year and yet houses remain necessary.

This is exactly what I'm saying, because people are using that statistic about cop deaths to say exactly the opposite.

Pointing out cases where police use this danger as cover to do bad things does not mean the danger does not exist. Nor does it hold any relevance to the analogy or point I was making.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

He was killed while investigating a domestic violence incident.
The guy who shot the two cops in NY had also just shot a woman before the police. Does anyone have any know of any studies into how often that is the case?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jarmak posted:

This is exactly what I'm saying, because people are using that statistic about cop deaths to say exactly the opposite.

Pointing out cases where police use this danger as cover to do bad things does not mean the danger does not exist. Nor does it hold any relevance to the analogy or point I was making.

Sorry, you purposefully used a bad analogy because... you lost me.

I was not saying the 'people die of exposure' thing was a good analogy, either. None of them are good analogies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cop stuff:

Here's a rising star cop in Baltimore that reported police brutality and was run off the force for it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ex-baltimore-labeled-rat-police-brutality-claim-article-1.2077632

Here's cool, fun footage of the police rolling up to a crowd of celebrating college kids who are in the street and indiscriminately dousing them with pepper-spray and tear-gassing them (in full camo military gear) to get them to leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDHuQ8pylmA

JFC cops are literally the worst people. There's no bad apples on police forces, only a few good apples that get turned or run of the job.

• Locked thread