Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Triple-Kan posted:

Try working there.

I have several times :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I live in Louisville, KY and it sort of amazes me how many gaming/comic shops there are around here. Off the top of my head I can name 5 gaming shops nearby (and one of them is CardHaus's store front, Empire Comics). There are also two pretty good sizes game meetup groups, although one of them is a bit....the worst part of nerd stereotypes. I'm not naming the group. The last meetup a couple weeks ago was pretty drat big, with around 50 people present at any given time, and it went from 10 am to 11 pm, and there's another like it planned in a couple of weeks. Louisville doesn't even feel that big to me anymore, so it's great to have such an active gaming community.

Now if people would actually play X-Wing around here, i'd be set.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Arnm616 posted:

I am also in the Triangle, what shops host good game nights? Most of the stores I have found (Game Theory, Event Horizon) seem to mostly do M:tG or Warhammer but not much board gaming.

sonatinas posted:

Game Theory has adult board game night on Tuesday. Atomic Empire has theirs on Monday. Gamer's Armory i think is on Wednesday.

In general , just don't go on Friday nights because that's where the stores make their magic money. If you're into RPGs and stuff they all also have specific nights for those.

To expand, from what I remember Gamer's Armory has a small base of board gamers that also meet there on off days, usually Thursdays and Sundays, but not on a regular basis. I used to go there often but the commute has become too much for me (I live in North Durham, getting there in the evening usually means braving I-40 at rush, and gently caress that). So I've been trying hit Atomic on Mondays more often, since it's only 15 minutes away.

Any chance of a Triangle Goon boardgaming meetup? :dance:

enigmahfc posted:

I live in Louisville, KY and it sort of amazes me how many gaming/comic shops there are around here. Off the top of my head I can name 5 gaming shops nearby (and one of them is CardHaus's store front, Empire Comics). There are also two pretty good sizes game meetup groups, although one of them is a bit....the worst part of nerd stereotypes. I'm not naming the group. The last meetup a couple weeks ago was pretty drat big, with around 50 people present at any given time, and it went from 10 am to 11 pm, and there's another like it planned in a couple of weeks. Louisville doesn't even feel that big to me anymore, so it's great to have such an active gaming community.

I have a lot of family in Louisville, so it's nice to know that, if I ever end up back there, I won't be starved for gaming options.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The problem I have with the gaming stores I've been to in the Bay Area (and south bay) is that I usually like to play with my wife or less ~CORE~ friends and I can no longer tolerate the proto-goon types that just won't bug off. When I was into Magic and Warhams back in the day, I could tolerate the smelly guy that insisted on telling people who weren't listening about some game or something, even if it annoyed me. But now it's super uncomfortable. Even in the stores I've been to that seem to have a focus on board games, there's just always some mega-goons haunting the store and loitering around being anti-social.

I'm curious if the board gaming caffes avoid the magic hobo-types by having some sort of requirement to buy food in order to loiter around?

edit: I guess I'm also more sensitive to fact that the magic and warhams don't want us around, judging by the gamergate poo poo I've read all over the internet, too

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 15, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
It really boils down to the management of the store. I've been to some stores that really suppress that poo poo and some that let it go hogwild and it's usually because the managers are either a part of the problem or they want to create an environment for everyone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The problem I have with the gaming stores I've been to in the Bay Area (and south bay) is that I usually like to play with my wife or less ~CORE~ friends and I can no longer tolerate the proto-goon types that just won't bug off. When I was into Magic and Warhams back in the day, I could tolerate the smelly guy that insisted on telling people who weren't listening about some game or something, even if it annoyed me. But now it's super uncomfortable. Even in the stores I've been to that seem to have a focus on board games, there's just always some mega-goons haunting the store and loitering around being anti-social.

I'm curious if the board gaming caffes avoid the magic hobo-types by having some sort of requirement to buy food in order to loiter around?

edit: I guess I'm also more sensitive to fact that the magic and warhams don't want us around, judging by the gamergate poo poo I've read all over the internet, too

I'm in the Bay Area and while I don't attend any FLGS events, I do attend a weekly meetup, which is (mostly) populated by normal dudes. I suspect that there's about 10-20 people on average that come out every week. There are a few people who really, REALLY love to share their (obviously terrible) politics, but I don't play with them and try not to make eye contact with them in general. But for the ~25% chaff there, the other 75% are pretty cool. For some reason, some people don't like us Netrunner types (all like 4-5 of us) very much, though. If you're interested, send me a PM or something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess Vlaada helped playtest Robinson Crusoe. And apparently he consulted on Nations development. I'm pretty interested in that one, it kind of sounds like it does to Through the Ages what Eclipse does to Twilight Imperium?

Didn't obviously spot an answer to this, so...

Nations is a shorter, less directly aggressive version of TTA. It plays up to 5, which is nice, and thematically feels very similar, but plays in 1/2 to 2/3 the time, making it viable for my group to play in an evening (just). It's also a lot less fiddly, generally, so it's better as a tabletop game whereas it's hard as hell to play TtA now that I've spent so long playing it online. Its not without its flaws though; it's a lot less finely balanced, primarily. Because there are so many cards and you don't necessarily see all of them, it's a lot easier to get irretrievably hosed over by the lack of a particular sort of production building early on, and find yourself in a position you can't get back from well before the game is over, which is demoralising.

But it's a quicker play and less prone to lots of downtime, so overall I'd recommend it.

And yeah, Vlaada helped with Crusoe. IIRC there was a great post from him basically explaining that wounds reducing your actions is dumb and death spirally, and you're designing a boardgame first and a storytelling engine second, you fuckwit, so put fluff after mechanics not before. Fortunately, they listened.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I like meetups much more than game stores for that very reason. Not many people are going to let smelly anti-social types into their meetup because those people run off everyone else. Whereas it seems like to game stores that a warm body is better than no body at all even if it does smell and make everyone uncomfortable.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lorini posted:

I like meetups much more than game stores for that very reason. Not many people are going to let smelly anti-social types into their meetup because those people run off everyone else. Whereas it seems like to game stores that a warm body is better than no body at all even if it does smell and make everyone uncomfortable.

My FLGS solved that by breaking up into relatively rigid cliques :science:

Don't want to play board games with the guy who needs to buy a belt? Good, because you won't be! Mind you, I can see how this wouldn't work in an area with lower nerd density.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Lorini posted:

My social gaming (outside of going to people's houses, or them coming to mine) is almost exclusively through Meetup. Everyone is pretty chill in the one I go to and there is always a variety of stuff being played. There really aren't any of the typical, weird, or inappropriate acting gamers. The organizers are good about letting people know they need to act like normal loving humans and poo poo.

Last year, there was a small group of about 4 guys who came to one of the all day meetups, and throughout the day were pretty much the most inappropriate people ever (Yelling out Memes, cussing at the top of the lungs, being condescending, being misogynistic pricks). It was the last one that got them kicked out. One of them was an complete rear end to my wife when she wasn't even playing the same game as them. He came over just to be a prick to the FEMALE. I told him to get the gently caress out of our faces and go back to playing Firefly (god I hate that game). Shortly after that, the organizers took them to the side, quietly informed them they were getting complaints, and to knock that poo poo off. They left shortly after that and have not been seen since.

That is why I love my local Meetup.

Paper Kaiju posted:

I have a lot of family in Louisville, so it's nice to know that, if I ever end up back there, I won't be starved for gaming options.

If you come into town, check these guys out, their good people.
http://www.meetup.com/boardgames-14/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I should try one of these "meetups" sometime; I saw one at the grocery store cafe and they definitely looked more social than the usual GameNite crew.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I know in my area I'm constantly getting meetup requests for a variety of gaming groups. There are definitely no shortage of them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PerniciousKnid posted:

I should try one of these "meetups" sometime; I saw one at the grocery store cafe and they definitely looked more social than the usual GameNite crew.

I had a friend who used to go to a meetup on Tuesday nights at some diner. They'd get a cheap dinner and then head back to the host's place for board games. It sounds like an okay time, especially if you don't have anything else happening.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just so people know, the organizer pays a fee to meetup.com to organize the meetup, so they tend to be more social in order to make it worthwhile. There's no point in paying a bunch of money to hang out with yourself :).

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Okay so I've got a question. You can count my wife and I as one of the people who got into board games by the show Table Top. And yeah, we own most of what was shown on the show. We also have Twilight Struggle and the huge dominion set. I just finished catching up in the thread and there seemed to be some hate because he doesn't show real games. I guess my question is, what are some of the deeper games that we can get into?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'd say check the stuff in the OP. I can't really get a bead on what you would like based on your post.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think it's necessarily that he doesn't show real games, it's just that his show is just generally for starting people on the hobby so when people think his show is supposed the show the extent of gaming then it can irritation. Probably a lot of it is projecting what Wil's motivations are although him getting the rules wrong doesn't help.

ALSO:

Despite what some people might tell you, there's no wrong way to play or enjoy board games. People can get a little heated when talking about what they think is good or bad design and how that relates to the people who make and recommend games but it isn't about people enjoying the wrong games.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 15, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bruiser posted:

Okay so I've got a question. You can count my wife and I as one of the people who got into board games by the show Table Top. And yeah, we own most of what was shown on the show. We also have Twilight Struggle and the huge dominion set. I just finished catching up in the thread and there seemed to be some hate because he doesn't show real games. I guess my question is, what are some of the deeper games that we can get into?

Twilight Struggle seems like a huge step up from the type of games that Tabletop shows, but I think solid and popular light-medium weight games would be 7 Wonders, Castles of Burgundy, Kemet, Agricola/Caylus, Coup, The Resistance. It's super hard to recommend something without knowing what types of game you either like or are interested in. I'd say to put that disclaimer when asking for recommendations in the OP, but nobody ever reads the OP, so...

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I've got a guy who will sit there with his 3DS and play Smash Bros or whatever between his turns. It is marvelously infuriating.

Our board game group between turns: two people playing Smash Bros versus, one person playing Clash of Clans, one to two people texting/facebooking, and one nerd reading something awful dot com :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's no such as a 'real game' or not. Everything they play is a game and they have played some pretty good ones in the past. They have to play stuff that you can explain in a 10 minute introduction, is fast to play and has social aspects, which tends to skew towards some of the stuff which isn't as well designed as it could be. I mean, imagine them trying to play Dungeon Lords: they would spend most of the episode just explaining mechanisms, because as interactive as the game is, the interesting scenarios within the game require extensive knowledge of the rules in order to understand what is going on.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey guys, for a 10 player game of Resistance, which roles should we avoid/not use because they aren't fun?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tekopo posted:

There's no such as a 'real game' or not. Everything they play is a game and they have played some pretty good ones in the past. They have to play stuff that you can explain in a 10 minute introduction, is fast to play and has social aspects, which tends to skew towards some of the stuff which isn't as well designed as it could be. I mean, imagine them trying to play Dungeon Lords: they would spend most of the episode just explaining mechanisms, because as interactive as the game is, the interesting scenarios within the game require extensive knowledge of the rules in order to understand what is going on.

A lot of Dungeon Lords seems to actually boil down to keeping up with your neighbors. You don't want to be the most aggressive player unless you're prepared to fight the Paladin, but you don't want to be under-prepared for the regular heroes, either.

I've found that my best games of Dungeon Lords have just been me actively avoiding getting wizards in my party.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

deadly_pudding posted:

A lot of Dungeon Lords seems to actually boil down to keeping up with your neighbors. You don't want to be the most aggressive player unless you're prepared to fight the Paladin, but you don't want to be under-prepared for the regular heroes, either.

I've found that my best games of Dungeon Lords have just been me actively avoiding getting wizards in my party.

I'd have to agree, for the most part; I can make it in year 2 if I have a great anti-magic room setup and some slimes, but for the most part, wizards are the worst. Anti magic dart can help too.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Azran posted:

Hey guys, for a 10 player game of Resistance, which roles should we avoid/not use because they aren't fun?

In my experience, 10 player Resistance is not great. There's too many people, and it's either a very easy puzzle or an incomprehensible mess of shouting. I'd recommend two five player games instead, if you can.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

My group staunchly refuses to divide into different groups, it's all or nothing for them. (One of the reasons I just decided not to get Dominion in the end). I kind of want everyone to have a role, since the first time we played we used the standard Avalon ones (Merlin, Morgana, Mordred, Percival, Oberon) and they had a great time. The Hunter and Trapper modules seem interesting, but the whole Chief mechanic will be weird if there's already a Merlin.

I take it if I include these roles I shouldn't include Plot Cards?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Azran posted:

Percival and Morgana (or whatever the Resistance equivalents are) are undoubtedly great at that number, as well as Mordred- Lady of the Lake is basically required if you're playing above 8. I probably wouldn't use any of the other ones at that number, maybe Oberon if you guys feel like making the game ridiculous.

Can't speak of the new modules, unfortunately.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Azran posted:

My group staunchly refuses to divide into different groups, it's all or nothing for them. (One of the reasons I just decided not to get Dominion in the end). I kind of want everyone to have a role, since the first time we played we used the standard Avalon ones (Merlin, Morgana, Mordred, Percival, Oberon) and they had a great time. The Hunter and Trapper modules seem interesting, but the whole Chief mechanic will be weird if there's already a Merlin.

I take it if I include these roles I shouldn't include Plot Cards?

If you haven't heard of it, you should look into Two Rooms and a Boom. It can go from 5-30~ people, and plays better with more. Everyone can have their own role. There's a print and play available here - http://tuesdayknightgames.com/tworoomsandaboom/.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Prairie Bus posted:

If you haven't heard of it, you should look into Two Rooms and a Boom. It can go from 5-30~ people, and plays better with more. Everyone can have their own role. There's a print and play available here - http://tuesdayknightgames.com/tworoomsandaboom/.

Thanks, gonna check it out. :)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bruiser posted:

Sorry, I ranted a little bit earlier based on an outdated impression that the show was focusing on Munchkin and Fluxx and the like in the first season. The second season and the proposed schedule for the third season seem to have diversified a bit and have added some more middle weight games, I think. They play some fun games :)

And I agree on the stuff grandpapants mentioned, 7 Wonders, Lords of Waterdeep if you don't have that yet, Castles of Burgundy, maybe Suburbia, Coup. I just got Castles of Burgundy and Suburbia and have only played them once so far but they seem like they would be a nice next step up from the show, especially if you play 2 player often. I just got Quantum and have only read the rules, but it seems like a good candidate, too. Race for the Galaxy is cheap if you want to see if you're into that game, I love it.

Check out Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker if you haven't yet. You can try the latter on the app. When I was first getting into games, these were mind-blowing! I wish they would play these on the show -- more than other games, these are actually fun to watch.

Some might disagree but I wouldn't start with Agricola. I'd check it out later or with the iOS app. Anecdotally, I've had to rehab a couple people who went straight from Catan -> Agricola and assumed all of my games are like "that loving farm game" :shobon:

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm in the Bay Area and while I don't attend any FLGS events, I do attend a weekly meetup, which is (mostly) populated by normal dudes. I suspect that there's about 10-20 people on average that come out every week. There are a few people who really, REALLY love to share their (obviously terrible) politics, but I don't play with them and try not to make eye contact with them in general. But for the ~25% chaff there, the other 75% are pretty cool. For some reason, some people don't like us Netrunner types (all like 4-5 of us) very much, though. If you're interested, send me a PM or something.

I'm gonna travel a bit but I'll probably holler at you down the road!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Played several games of Temporum now. A bunch of 3-player and a couple 5-player. I enjoyed all the games, but for some reason it seemed more interesting with 5. Maybe because there are more people to change timelines, or because you can share Ruling a zone. Or maybe we just had more interesting setups. Also, Tulip stocks really seems to gently caress with people's carefully laid plans, 9 gold and everyone loses 5? Huge.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've always liked board games, but I've never played anything other than mainstream Parker Bros. stuff. After watching way too many TableTop episodes, I think I want to start with Lords of Waterdeep. I love strategy games and I feel it's cool and flavorful enough to get my girlfriend interested in it.

Should I start with LoW or is there a must have game I should get instead? I have limited funds so I would probably only buy one game and have it for a long time. As a historian, I love the idea of Twilight Struggle and Through the Ages, but LoW seems very appealing to me for some reason.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

Denver area has a couple nice game stores that I visit when I get to town. Good coffee and a wide variety of games at not terrible prices.

Which stores are these? I haven't looked super hard, but the couple I've stuck my head into so far had the sweaty mildewed dungeon aesthetic going, staffed by live incarnations of the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Frijolero posted:

So I've always liked board games, but I've never played anything other than mainstream Parker Bros. stuff. After watching way too many TableTop episodes, I think I want to start with Lords of Waterdeep. I love strategy games and I feel it's cool and flavorful enough to get my girlfriend interested in it.

Should I start with LoW or is there a must have game I should get instead? I have limited funds so I would probably only buy one game and have it for a long time. As a historian, I love the idea of Twilight Struggle and Through the Ages, but LoW seems very appealing to me for some reason.

Lords of Waterdeep is a pretty great "starter" board game. I've introduced a fair number of non-board gaming people to it and gotten pretty good reactions.

If you have an iphone/iPad, you can grab the app for five or six bucks and try it out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think Dominion has a lot more replayability than LoW (in addition to being one of the best board games ever made imho), and it sounds like that's a big deal for you. It's definitely less flavorful though so that might make it a harder sell.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A wsj link some might enjoy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-packers-of-catan-green-bays-board-game-obsession-1421346102

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I agree with your gut reaction here, Lords of Waterdeep might be the right thing for you here. Its super pretty, and its not there worst game ever made and is functional. Be aware that it has its has flaws as well. Come back to the thread with what parts you did or didn't like, and you can get even better recommendations.

I always pitch coop games to new gamers because they work best when learned as a group, and its a super novel concept to most people, so you kinda hook em. Forbidden Desert is $20 well spent, and it looks gorgeous and plays quickly. Again, be aware that this game also has flaws, but I feel like those two are decent places to start.

E: this is also true

Countblanc posted:

I think Dominion has a lot more replayability than LoW (in addition to being one of the board games ever made imho), and it sounds like that's a big deal for you. It's definitely less flavorful though so that might make it a harder sell.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 15, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

quote:

Backup quarterback Matt Flynn said he was interested in the game because it was “a nonviolent version of Risk,” referring to Parker Brothers’ notoriously complex game of world domination.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Countblanc posted:

I think Dominion has a lot more replayability than LoW (in addition to being one of the best board games ever made imho), and it sounds like that's a big deal for you. It's definitely less flavorful though so that might make it a harder sell.

I agree, but Lords of Waterdeep is a fine enough game. I also didn't know it had an app which I now might buy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Notoriously complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mindbendingly, notoriously complex.