Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Suzaku posted:

This is why you should flood your display case with plavsky particles.
Make sure you keep the damage level set to C, otherwise... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Make sure you keep the damage level set to C, otherwise... :negative:

Too bad RG Zeta is locked to damage level A :argh:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suzaku posted:

Too bad RG Zeta is locked to damage level A :argh:

it arrives on the battlefield in a fixed pose with no option to transform.

Only the Meijin can transform mid battle

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Suzaku posted:

Too bad RG is locked to damage level A :argh:

Fixed that for you.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Seriously, the only bad RGs are the RX-78, Zaku 2, and Zeta. Why the bitching about the line?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Loose posted:

Seriously, the only bad RGs are the RX-78, Zaku 2, and Zeta. Why the bitching about the line?

my huge american hands cant handle the delicate craftsmanship, im angry.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Broken Loose posted:

Are they really that bad? I have all of those sitting in my nightmare backlog and was really looking forward to them as my definitive versions of those suits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Broken Loose posted:

Even if the other ones aren't as hilariously fragile, they're still really tiny joints. It is very easy to snap them, and repair work is much more difficult because of how intricate they are. And since most people live outside of Japan, getting replacement parts is nigh-impossible (and it's hard even in Japan since you can't order single pieces of the frame runners). It's something you should honestly expect from the concept, but knowing that doesn't make it any frustrating.

Aside from that, the usual caveat for RGs is that they can't stand on their own, and that is actually true for the SEED RGs. v:shobon:v

Honest Ray posted:

Are they really that bad? I have all of those sitting in my nightmare backlog and was really looking forward to them as my definitive versions of those suits.

They're not bad per se, they're just fragile. You'll have to glue a lot of stuff on the RG Gundam/Zaku II on, and you should pick a mode you want the Zeta to be in and stick with it. Also don't stress the arms.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, you guys were completely right about the MG Turn-A. What an astounding kit, it's just a joy to pose. Doesn't hurt that its design is one of the best in all of Gundam, for sure. The gimmicks are great too, even if one of my chest-missile hinges is broken.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The new try fighters showed so many amazing things they are gonna release! So excited!

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Literally the only problem I had with the RG Zaku II is that the skirt armor likes to pop off, but it's such a ridiculously easy fix I don't even really worry about it. It's a really solid kit all things considered. But, man. that Mk. II? That Mk. II is an impressive piece of engineering. You do have to cut out your own pipes and wires, though, but that was pretty easy all things considered.

Also, the only two RG's I own have no problem standing on their own. In fact, they can hold pretty decent poses. And the armor plates that slide past each other when you move the joints are so cool.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The only problem with the RG mkII is that the frame got recycled for the GP-01, which kind of hosed up the proportions.

On the other hand you'd have to be ridiculously anal to even notice, or just be like me and have a friend who's ridiculously anal bitch about it to you and then you can never unsee it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
RG look like sweet dreams. but it seems like the devil is in the details and they are nightmares.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Finished the kit! Now I just need to go back and re-do the paint job, especially the mangled job I did on the reds. Then it's weathering and decals, the real reason I got it. :)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I really liked building my RG Strike and it stands up just fine without the backpack. My only complaint would be that the v fin pops off at the slightest touch, but I should probably just glue that on.

Oh and the s seam in the knee pads. That was weird.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

it stands up just fine without the backpack.

That's kind of missing the point! All of the SEED RGs can stand just fine without their backpacks.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I was honestly just making a joke about RGs being more display pieces than pick up, play with, and pose all you want pieces.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

I was honestly just making a joke about RGs being more display pieces than pick up, play with, and pose all you want pieces.

The fancy sliding-plate leg gimmicks say otherwise :colbert:.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The fancy sliding-plate leg gimmicks say otherwise :colbert:.

True enough, I guess at some undisclosed time in the future, Bandai figured out how to make them the ultimate fighters.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
New kits are:
Shia's unit, Gundam Portent

Portriat Flier

SxDxG Gundam

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008
The Portent looks like it might be a heavily customized ELS 00 Quan-T, I kinda dig it, except for the silly backpack, the other one is just a SD Gundam so who cares.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Can we officially say we have enough 00/Exia-inspired designs now.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Can we officially say we have enough 00/Exia-inspired designs now.

No. There are never enough Exias.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just want one Seravee/Virtue-inspired design :sigh:.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

This suit is gonna be a whole lot bigger than I expected.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Portent looks like it's based on the noncombat mobile suits from the end of Trailblazer too.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I just bought a 3-pack of cheapo acrylic risers on Amazon to testbed how much I can cram into one Detolf shelf.

So much for my physical space limiting what I can build.

The Portent had my hopes up for a second - its heels are the same as the Qubeley Papillon's. But then I saw BF Try episode 14 and it looks like Shia isn't the timeskipped daughter of Reiji and Aila, so there goes that hope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MJP posted:

I just bought a 3-pack of cheapo acrylic risers on Amazon to testbed how much I can cram into one Detolf shelf.

So much for my physical space limiting what I can build.

The Portent had my hopes up for a second - its heels are the same as the Qubeley Papillon's. But then I saw BF Try episode 14 and it looks like Shia isn't the timeskipped daughter of Reiji and Aila, so there goes that hope.

The Portent's Booster is a weird thing. It doesn't really seem to do anything on the Portent, and on its own it doesn't really look like something useable on another kit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Polikarpov posted:

are you italian by any chance

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Polikarpov posted:

The Byarlant! I love that kit.

The plan is to buy 500 toolkits and parachute them from a plane into random schoolyards.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ka0 posted:

The Byarlant! I love that kit.

The plan is to buy 500 toolkits and parachute them from a plane into random schoolyards.

I see Zeta Gundam and Acguy.

HGBF ZETA AND ACGUY CONFIRMED

(I'd actually love a HGBF Zeta, because oh my god HGUC Zeta is terrible.)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I see Zeta Gundam and Acguy.

HGBF ZETA AND ACGUY CONFIRMED

(I'd actually love a HGBF Zeta, because oh my god HGUC Zeta is terrible.)

I'm holding out for a Rick Acguy :colbert:

There's a file in that kit. I've got files but I never use 'em unless I've got to really shave away a nub too thick to Xacto. Are Japanese files that superior or am I just using the wrong one?

Then again with the Godhands, I don't anticipate doing that much sanding anymore anyway :smug:

I think I could probably get away with 1000 grit alone

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Speaking of GBF, in episode 7 of the original series, the one with the land sharks, Mao has a little leather case with spots for all his tools. Do they make anything like that?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What grit sandpapers to people normally use to rubdown and then polish away their nubs? I found these three packs on Amazon but not sure which one to pick up (or should it be all three?):

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I use, squadron tools sanding sticks. You can buy the grades(coarse, medium, fine, super fine) separately or in a bundle. Coarse is like 400ish grit and I think they go up in 200 grits for a stick. and Coarse is good in saving your medium and fine sticks, but you gotta be careful now to round/un-round pieces. Using just medium for this also works if you don't have to sand alot away because you can wear the grits down. I tend to only sand up to fine because I don't want to rotate 4 sticks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'd say the first set has the most appropriate grit for gunpla. 400 will take off the actual nub, 1000 to make sure all of it is gone, then 1500 to polish it back up.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The real trick is to wet sand. That's done nothing but great things for me - minimizes dust, keeps the sandpaper moving properly, easy progression without too much collateral damage.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Anything above 400 grit will just gently caress nubs and possibly, ruin the plastic surrounding them. I remove them with pliers, file, then nail file #4 or #7. Abrassive grit paper removes stuff, 320, 360, 380. 500 grit to 800 is just preparation for priming or painting; 1000 and 1200 are for buffing compounds.

Don't scrub your files, just put flatly over the plastic, then move it along it's lenght, as much as needed. Check, repeat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I've been changing my direction while I sand since I noticed if I stay one direction, I usually drift and rounds out pieces going that way. And when I switch the sanding direction it evens out more in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the advice guys. I plan on sanding after I cut trim the nubs with my nippers. I'm basically trying to avoid the accidental scarring and gouging that sometimes happens when trying to shave with an exacto knife.

e: I think you are supposed to use a circular motion while sanding, right? Go clockwise for a bit and then reverse direction so that it is smooth from all angles.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 15, 2015