Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ainsley McTree posted:

I guess my question would be more about the simplicity of the playstyle rather than the classes' potential effectiveness. Like, what's the marksman sniper equivalent of a tank versus the marauder equivalent? The dulfy guide for jugg tanks makes it look pretty heavy on cooldown and buff management, which isn't necessarily a turn on for me.

More likely than not I'm going to abandon this ambition and go back to DPSing anyway but I figure it's good to know.

All of the tanks require a bit more work than a marksman sniper. PT is probably the most mindless, but I also happen to think it's the most boring.

Anybody see how much the new hypercrates are on the GTN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Packs aren't on the GTN yet, I don't think. They were released yesterday and are bound for 36 hours.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

Packs aren't on the GTN yet, I don't think. They were released yesterday and are bound for 36 hours.

They were released Tuesday with a 48 hour bind, so they will start showing up today

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can't do math and also thought today was Wednesday

oh gently caress i have class today

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Anybody see how much the new hypercrates are on the GTN?

As of 2 mins ago there are no packs on the GTN for the latest one. Individual items all seem OK priced. Lots of undercutting going on. The Naga Sadow statue - which takes a centerpiece - ranges from 5 mil to 90k across only 1 1/2 page.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

As of 2 mins ago there are no packs on the GTN for the latest one. Individual items all seem OK priced. Lots of undercutting going on. The Naga Sadow statue - which takes a centerpiece - ranges from 5 mil to 90k across only 1 1/2 page.

I don't think the statue is that rare. Storril and I both bought a couple packs last night and both got one

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
When I checked earlier today the Contraband Slot Machine was going for around 4.5 million.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is it a known bug that legacy storage doesn't show the green/blue/purple outlines on items? Took me forever to realize what was funky about my storage.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yes it is. On the "to do list" according to BW board reps.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Is it a known bug that legacy storage doesn't show the green/blue/purple outlines on items? Took me forever to realize what was funky about my storage.

so in thousands how much have you put into this game

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

so in thousands how much have you put into this game

Real money? I've bought cartel coins twice. Once to transfer my toons ($40) and once ($20) to get a few extra credits to buy a hypercrate before I started buying them with credits.

I felt dirty doing even that.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No, no, how many thousands of hours?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

No, no, how many thousands of hours?

That is a number I don't ever want to calculate. When I was pondering cancelling my sub I debated going through and adding up the /played but realized I'd probably just end up killing myself.

Plus, y'know, it wouldn't be TOTALLY accurate what with all the macroing and afk crafting I did...

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'll probably be down to raid something tonight but I'm making tacos so I might have to take frequent breaks to expel my colon

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Alright fellas, I'm looking to get back into this and I am trying to decide whether to play an Imperial Agent or Bounty Hunter. I've poked around and read that Operative, Mercenary, and Adv. Prot. Powertech are all pretty good specs for lazy questing, but I also haven't played since way before 3.0 so I have no clue how things have developed.

I know that Imperial Agent has the best story with the most varied endings, but how is the bounty hunter story? Is it worth a playthrough? I tried leveling an Agent when the game first game out and just hated the cover system.

Also, are there any big changes in 3.0 I should know about? Disciplines are just like the three WoW specs per Advanced Class, right?

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 16, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I know that Imperial Agent has the best story with the most varied endings, but how is the bounty hunter story? Is it worth a playthrough? I tried leveling an Agent when the game first game out and just hated the cover system.

The highest opinions of the Bounty Hunter story are generally "it was ok", and the lowest are "completely dumb/boring, worst in the game". The Agent is hands down the better story in every way. Also only Sniper agents really give a poo poo about cover, Operatives have basically no use for it and it can be completely ignored.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Alright fellas, I'm looking to get back into this and I am trying to decide whether to play an Imperial Agent or Bounty Hunter. I've poked around and read that Operative, Mercenary, and Adv. Prot. Powertech are all pretty good specs for lazy questing, but I also haven't played since way before 3.0 so I have no clue how things have developed.

Also, are there any big changes since 3.0 I should know about? Disciplines are just like the three WoW specs per Advanced Class, right?

If a good story is important to you, agent wins hands down. Agent story is widely considered to be the best (and I agree) and Bounty Hunter is widely considered to be pretty lackluster. It sort of jumps around too much between acts and doesn't really have a cogent arc to it. Honestly apart from Act 1 and the very end of Act 3 I sort of don't remember what happens in the BH story, and it was the last one that I completed. The character itself is fun to play, because you can be a complete jerkoff to every sith you meet and there's nothing they can do about it because you aren't part of the empire, but the story itself is really unremarkable.

I dunno if I'd agree that operative is good for lazy questing exactly; the ability to stealth is obviously very nice because you can just zip by all the trash (and as an operative, you can pretty much 100% ignore the cover system), but the playstyle, to me anyway, requires you to be on top of your poo poo a little more than most classes. Whereas mercenary has a pretty braindead easy rotation that's hard to screw up unless you're purposely trying to.

Disciplines is comparable to WoW, yeah. Hybrids are out; once you pick a discipline, you automatically progress along it, unlocking skills and poo poo as you go automatically (skill trees are out too). Instead of talents and glyphs, there's a "utility" system where occasionally on level up, you choose from a number of utilities (a max of 7 by the end, I think?) that give you bonuses to your character. It's hard to explain quickly in words that make it sound simple, but it's actually really simple.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Storywise? Agent beats Bounty Hunter.

Gameplay wise? I enjoy playing the bounty hunter Mercenary over an operative. Bounty Hunter you are just blasting everything apart, and your first companion is a healer. I absolutely love playing as a bounty hunter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Apparently the Rishi idols are tradeable so if anyone didn't get 10 and wants one let me know.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If you're coming back use my referral code!

https://swtor.com/r/d9rknB

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 16, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I made an asstank. If you guys are still playing the game 6 months from now I'll be ready to single-handedly wipe some raids with you

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

If you're coming back use my referral code!

https://swtor.com/r/d9rknB

Unfortunately that link just took me back to the SWTOR homepage, sorry!

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fargin Icehole posted:

Gameplay wise? I enjoy playing the bounty hunter Mercenary over an operative. Bounty Hunter you are just blasting everything apart, and your first companion is a healer. I absolutely love playing as a bounty hunter.

I got a sniper to 20 and hated it. Always felt 'stuck' in once place.

Has anyone leveled both a tank guardian and assassin? I love my guardian, but really want to try an assassin. Just don't think I have the skillz.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Disciplines is comparable to WoW, yeah. Hybrids are out; once you pick a discipline, you automatically progress along it, unlocking skills and poo poo as you go automatically (skill trees are out too). Instead of talents and glyphs, there's a "utility" system where occasionally on level up, you choose from a number of utilities (a max of 7 by the end, I think?) that give you bonuses to your character. It's hard to explain quickly in words that make it sound simple, but it's actually really simple.

If you are a subscriber, drop the 300 whatever cartel coins on field respec. I do it so I can heal heroic 4s and do FP without fear. Its great. I can swap on the fly and have my bars set up so all I have to do is a minor amount of tinkering to be optimal.

I want to join the goon guild, but Im playing with my brother, is there any way he can join even though he is not a good?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is he at least a goon

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

is he at least a goon

Well I mean Im terrible and a goon, hes just bad.

No, he is not a goon.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Secret Spoon posted:

Well I mean Im terrible and a goon, hes just bad.

No, he is not a goon.

i mean i assume it's fine, it presumably works like most of the SA sponsor rules, if he's a complete idiot you're responsible for him

then again it should be said that i have absolutely no say in anything and generally don't know what i'm talking about

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
As someone who's an officer for some reason, I say sure whatever idc. I think there were a couple people in guild already with guild notes that amounted to "Friend of (goon I forget the name of)"

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Second Sun posted:

I got a sniper to 20 and hated it. Always felt 'stuck' in once place.

Has anyone leveled both a tank guardian and assassin? I love my guardian, but really want to try an assassin. Just don't think I have the skillz.

Having a jugger and shadow, they are both pretty easy to tank with. Jugger/guardian have more defensive cooldowns to play around with, which I feel make them more survivable, but that might just be something I'm imagining. Both are viable for all content.

The main skill required for tanking is situational awareness. You need to know which enemy in a group to engage in other to hit everyone with a AOE, you need to be aware of who the enemies are targeting, be ready to peel enemies off your healers or dps (dps can deal with a single mob for some time). You are also expected to know boss tactics, but since tanks are rare enough, just tell them you don't know and need it explained. Most people are grateful just to have a tank, even more if it's someone willing to learn before the wipes start.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

okay guys, so a few pages aago I posted that I couldn't login, that the game got stuck in the pre-character selection screen. So, this time, after reinstalling it, I decided to wait it out, see if naything happened. And after about 20 minutes, I was taken to the server selection screen, with a message saying "Server list couldn't be reached", and every server on the list having a count of -1 character on them.

Could anyone help a fellow out?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Siegkrow posted:

okay guys, so a few pages aago I posted that I couldn't login, that the game got stuck in the pre-character selection screen. So, this time, after reinstalling it, I decided to wait it out, see if naything happened. And after about 20 minutes, I was taken to the server selection screen, with a message saying "Server list couldn't be reached", and every server on the list having a count of -1 character on them.

Could anyone help a fellow out?

I normally only see this if the servers are down. I know that's not helping but it really looks like you aren't connecting.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yeah, I gathered that much. Thing is, this desn't happen only on one connection, I've tried 3 different networks and it sucks at all 3. My home's, my grandma's and my work's. I disabled the firewall, the anti-virus, flushed the dns, everything to do with a connection, I dunno what the issue is.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hey I want Karagga's hat on my merc. Can I do KP without being 50? I assume not.

and if not then once i hit 50 i will schedule a drunk run because those are the best kinds

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

This hasn't really been touched on yet, but the cover system isn't really relevant (anymore, anyway; I forget how it was at launch). As said earlier, cover doesn't really matter to begin with unless you're a sniper, and as a sniper you'll be able to take cover in place anywhere (your sniper will crouch in place behind a little energy shield). You'll still have to get to the advanced class - so at least level 10 - to gain that ability, but these days that only takes a few hours at most.

Also, having completed the BH story only days ago, I must say I agree with the sentiments expressed above this post. The character itself is fun to play (both in terms of gameplay and dialogue), and I did quite like first chapter, but after that the plot loses focus and a real sense of progression. It picks up a little again near the very end, but overall the second and third chapters just aren't very inspired or memorable.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Siegkrow posted:

Yeah, I gathered that much. Thing is, this desn't happen only on one connection, I've tried 3 different networks and it sucks at all 3. My home's, my grandma's and my work's. I disabled the firewall, the anti-virus, flushed the dns, everything to do with a connection, I dunno what the issue is.

Same computer?

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm only in the 20s, so take with a grain of salt, but operative is fun as hell for questing. You stab and slice folks to death and literally giggle (female) or laugh (male) as you do it. Lots of CC options, too. A++++

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

Same computer?

aye, same notebook.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Siegkrow posted:

aye, same notebook.

Is it connectibg to the net at all? My old HP laptop keeps randomly disabling my wifi...

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

BH story is really mediocre overall, but has some very high heights (Mostly Alderaan for me). Act 1 is pretty good overall, but it really falls off afterwards, but you can basically just play Act 1 and call it quits afterwards.

But really, if you want a good story and haven't played IA yet, there are no alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well I bought a slot machine with the intention of donating it to the guild buttttttttt instinctively clicked it when I got it hahaha.

That thing really is a license to print money. 99 coins and I got a poo poo ton of rep items, which I can now start selling to vendors because I got to legend, I got 11 purple jawa junk along with a bunch of greens and blues.

If Hypercrates drop below 5 I'll buy one and see if I can get another. :)

• Locked thread