Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Kibner posted:

e: I think you are supposed to use a circular motion while sanding, right? Go clockwise for a bit and then reverse direction so that it is smooth from all angles.

Not when sanding miniature plastic robots, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Circular sanding is best for rounded surfaces. On flat edges, you'll just be sanding a larger general area instead of focus firing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Haha, glad I said something, then!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Speaking of GBF, in episode 7 of the original series, the one with the land sharks, Mao has a little leather case with spots for all his tools. Do they make anything like that?

Not that I've seen, though Tamiya sells a toolset on Amazon that comes in a little plastic case.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

Circular sanding is best for rounded surfaces. On flat edges, you'll just be sanding a larger general area instead of focus firing.

On a flat large area, sanding in one direction you can induce a slope if you are too rough though. How do you stop that?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Tenzarin posted:

On a flat large area, sanding in one direction you can induce a slope if you are too rough though. How do you stop that?

That's where hard sanding sticks like this come in handy - you can buy them premade or make your own by supergluing sandpaper to thick sheet plastic. Beyond that, you have to eyeball the surface as you sand to make sure you're keeping it level and just be generally careful. It's a lot harder than it sounds and is very much a learned skill.

(softer sanding sticks will generally round off sharp edges and flat planes in very little time and I've found less and less use for them on mecha kits as the years roll on…. sandpaper alone is good for rounded surfaces and very little else)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I figured the soft sticks would of just bend to not go over edges like that. I would think hard sticks would just act like a file would and instead of rounding, just destroy.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
My hard sticks start at 800 grit so they're not nearly as destructive as files but you have to take particular care not to deform surfaces when using any abrasive tool IMO.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My local hobby store had some coupons, so I picked up the HGUC Full Armor Unicorn today. 15 runners. :circlefap:

I really should finish the G-Self first.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The Squadron sticks have just enough soft to them to take out most nubs, after the right Xacto shaving.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Tenzarin posted:

You can either criss-cross in both directions, opposites. Or, you could try 3Ms sanding sponges. Although they are expensive and made specially for sanding curved surfaces.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Guess who's king idiot of moron mountain

<---- this guy

I ordered red/blue/yellow

http://www.thewarstore.com/vallejogamecolorinks.html

I meant to order red/blue/yellow

http://www.thewarstore.com/VallejoGameColorsPageI.html

Just noticed the bottle now as i was unsuccessfully trying to use yellow/blue and even unthinned it was watery as hell.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ka0 posted:

You can either criss-cross in both directions, opposites. Or, you could try 3Ms sanding sponges. Although they are expensive and made specially for sanding curved surfaces.

I have tried those, they are way to huge.

Also first attempt at panel washing, quick question. I take it to clean up, i don't start pouring lighter fluid on stuff to clean it up?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hey, Gunpla Goons. I was just putting together my Gafran--an AGE kit, yes, I'm a monster (I like robots and dragons and robot dragons, ok?! Sheesh). I'm painting it dragon-y colors, reds and oranges mostly, and I noticed something while I was doing it. Something that kinda creeped me out the moment I realized what I was actually doing.

The Gafran, that fat chunky nerd of a mobile suit with a helmet that looks like Emily the Strange's hair and a big poofy dress?

Is secretly an EVA!

(seriously, the lower jaw thing even 'opens' a bit wider to show more teeth)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

I have tried those, they are way to huge.

Also first attempt at panel washing, quick question. I take it to clean up, i don't start pouring lighter fluid on stuff to clean it up?

Are you washing with enamels? Do not pour goddamn lighter fluid on your model, instead dampen a rag with a little bit, or better, dip a cotton swab on it, then gently rub it perpendicular to the line. If it leaves a huge smear, you need to thin your paint a bit more.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I was talking more about afterward with the dish thing for the paint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey, Gunpla Goons. I was just putting together my Gafran--an AGE kit, yes, I'm a monster (I like robots and dragons and robot dragons, ok?! Sheesh). I'm painting it dragon-y colors, reds and oranges mostly, and I noticed something while I was doing it. Something that kinda creeped me out the moment I realized what I was actually doing.

AGE kits are generally considered to be good. Now if you said you liked the show Gundam AGE, we'd have to smash your kneecaps with a Neo Zeong.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I have a handful of Gundam AGE kits and will probably get more as time goes on....particularly for kitbashes

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The one saving grace of AGE was the suit designs were actually pretty cool. The grunt suits in particular.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

A buddy in Japan picked up the PG Unicorn for me and plans on getting me the LED and weapon kits.

Do I need to hold off on constructing the Unicorn until I get the LED kit or will it be a painless conversion?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azubah posted:

A buddy in Japan picked up the PG Unicorn for me and plans on getting me the LED and weapon kits.

Do I need to hold off on constructing the Unicorn until I get the LED kit or will it be a painless conversion?

You're probably better off waiting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Azubah posted:

You put the LEDs in as you build, and it's very much an intricate process. Wait.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Azubah posted:

HLJ did a PG Unicorn build on their youtube channel, and they went back and put the LEDs in after the kit was finished. Definitely not the recommended route--you'll have to disassemble large parts of the kit to install them. You'll have much less of a headache if you wait.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Anyone know where to order tamiya panel line accent? I found one place in Hong kong but they use pay pal.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm considering the Dragon Momoko MG 1/100 Launcher Strike, are they usually particularly sticker heavy or are they pretty nice like that?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Amazing Red Warrior is a solidly designed kit, the only flaw of which being that it isn't Red Warrior verKa

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So who wants to chip in towards your very own Kuratas? It's only $1.2 Million, I'm sure we can get that if we pool our money together.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Gafran WIP update:

Yup. That's still an Eva.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That looks really cool, honestly. I've never seen AGE or anything but I think I'll put that on my build list.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Apart from a few really goofy designs, the Vagan suits are pretty great (they're space dragons! Space dragons!), and the kits are pretty fun to build too. I haven't gotten any kits of the good guy suits yet, but aside from the design of the most of the actual Gundams themselves (with the exception of the AGE-2 and Dark Hound) I like how most of them look. The show was hot garbage but I'd enjoy having a few more kits of some of the grunt suits to play around with.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

I'm considering the Dragon Momoko MG 1/100 Launcher Strike, are they usually particularly sticker heavy or are they pretty nice like that?

If you're worried about DM using stickers in place of colored plastic, don't be.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

If you're worried about DM using stickers in place of colored plastic, don't be.

Badass, just preordered. I really adore the Launcher Strike like nothing else, so I'm looking forward to this build.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

AGE's saving grace was both sides having great suit designs. I mean, the plot is incomprehensible, and a solid 30% of the action scenes are reused at some point, but the suits look cool, and they make great gunpla.

My HG Crossbone X1 arrived today. This thing NEEDS an action base. That backpack plus the larger weapons mean it's INCREDIBLY difficult to get it to stand up right and hold a pose.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

AGE's saving grace was both sides having great suit designs. I mean, the plot is incomprehensible, and a solid 30% of the action scenes are reused at some point, but the suits look cool, and they make great gunpla.

Don't make me do this meng, Don't do it! I will :words: about AGE if you don't stop.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically every suit Woolf flies looks great, if we're talking AGE designs.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Gafran, that fat chunky nerd of a mobile suit with a helmet that looks like Emily the Strange's hair and a big poofy dress?

?

I tried coaxing my Turn A's hand to hold the little pop-out handle on the extended beam rifle and his hand exploded, sending fingers flying off into a black hole. :smith:

Edit: Two of these fingers are definitely gone for good. I know you can order generic hands for EF and Zeon, but the Turn-A has different, tiny hands. Is there a way to order the right type that doesn't involve getting a MG Turn A sprue shipped from Japan? What a bummer. I guess if it comes down to it I'll just put giant emotion manipulators on it and consider it an upgrade, or use the static posed hand.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 18, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For the airbrush setup it turns out I need a 1/8 male to 1/4 male bsp adaptor. I figure I can check lowis/home depot in the morning but am I looking for something like this adaptor?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

For the airbrush setup it turns out I need a 1/8 male to 1/4 male bsp adaptor. I figure I can check lowis/home depot in the morning but am I looking for something like this adaptor?
yes like that. Make sure you use teflon tape on the threads to get an airtight seal
a lot of moisture traps come with the adaptor built in. Do you have one yet?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The regulator just has a 1/8 bsp connector. This hose I got, has a 1/8 connect for the regulator but the other end is 1/4 to connect to the airbrush. I'm prob getting this numbers reversed. But one end can connect to the regulator and when the regulator is off, the other end can connect to the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cant catch you if you are on fire.