Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

butt dickus posted:

Important features to me include prompt updates and not looking like garbage, neither of which are included on Samsung devices.

Sure is a good thing one Android's selling points isn't making it look like whatever the gently caress you want to or else your argument would just be stupid! Do you even Android? Christ.
Besides, that's very much a matter of opinion, I actually way prefer Touchwiz's settings menu. How often do you go into your phone settings that it's such a big deal, anyway? The dialer, SMS, camera, whatever, all the rest is stuff that you can change.

Also, "Nexus phones get updates first" kind of fell off a cliff once the Motorola phones started getting Lollipop before them, so that's kind of an invalid thing to say too. It's probably smarter that the other manufacturers seem to be waiting for 5.0.2 before updating, because when my Nexus 5 got Lollipop, like, everything loving broke. I couldn't even make calls until 5.0.1 hit! So Nexus phones break faster? Cool feature.

butt dickus posted:

I also like a more compact device, which SD cards and removable batteries actively work against.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_4-6434.php posted:

Dimensions 153.5 x 78.6 x 8.5 mm (6.04 x 3.09 x 0.33 in)

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_nexus_6-6604.php posted:

Dimensions 159.3 x 83 x 10.1 mm (6.27 x 3.27 x 0.40 in)
You almost had a point! You were so close.

BoyBlunder posted:

Are you a grandpa? That would explain the Luddite-ism and love of Touchwiz.

Just where the gently caress did I say I 'loved' Touchwiz? I said that it wasn't that bad. Like the guy above me said, it's actually pretty okay on the Note 4. I used a Galaxy S5 for a week and thought Touchwiz was loving awful enough to eat the $50 restocking fee to return it. A lot's been changed and improved in just one phone, and once you put Nova or Apex over the top of it you'd never even notice, while getting to enjoy the S-Pen and multi-window on literally the only phone on the market that makes actual use of the phablet screen size.

This thread is literally full of the people that phone manufacturers are marketing to these days, but I guess I'm a Luddite because I value my phone doing more things instead of doing less things! But hey, enjoy your super-innovative super-immersive *CURVED SCREENS* and deep-throating Google some more. I'm sure they value your business!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Note 4's Touchwiz'd settings panes are actually 'better' in one way from stock Kit Kat's: You can make a list of settings you regularly use, then never look at the rest of it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Straker posted:

Have you never said the word "cheese"? People use it because it forces you to smile even as you're saying it... not that it will look good if you don't catch on and make it more natural, but you know, it's actually a really good word.
This is only true if you're the only one in the picture. Otherwise saying "cheese" or "smile" is a cue for the other people in the frame to get ready. It's almost like I'm talking to people without friends or fami... ooohhhh.

Desk Lamp posted:

It works just the way you'd expect it to, it just doesn't fit his narrative. This is the same poster who "proved" Samsung's customer satisfaction was poo poo by linking a study that said it was second only to Apple's, that should tell you all you need to know.
It does, it tells me that confirmation bias is a thing that definitely exists.
I'll be honest, it's incredibly difficult to take any of this seriously. Maybe you've got a point and maybe you don't but I just can't get past fearing the cloud and my brain just tunes it out like I would someone talking about FEMA death camps.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 15, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

I'll be honest, it's incredibly difficult to take any of this seriously. Maybe you've got a point and maybe you don't but I just can't get past fearing the cloud and my brain just tunes it out like I would someone talking about FEMA death camps.

What I really meant is that relying on the cloud, like Google pretty clearly wants you to, what with not including a basic loving feature like expandable storage, was stupid, not so much the cloud itself. I highly value my contacts instantly swapping onto any phone I sign into my Google account on, but that's a far cry from trusting Google with literally all of your information.

What would you say if Microsoft released a new version of Windows that wouldn't allow you to install any hard drives of your own in your PC, but that's okay because you can just use their *cloud servers* to store all of your information? Is that the future? gently caress that.

vv Christ, way to miss the point. I'm done.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 15, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You do have expandable storage. It expanded into the cloud. It's 2015.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

What I really meant is that relying on the cloud, like Google pretty clearly wants you to, what with not including a basic loving feature like expandable storage, was stupid, not so much the cloud itself. I highly value my contacts instantly swapping onto any phone I sign into my Google account on, but that's a far cry from trusting Google with literally all of your information.

What would you say if Microsoft released a new version of Windows that wouldn't allow you to install any hard drives of your own in your PC, but that's okay because you can just use their *cloud servers* to store all of your information? Is that the future? gently caress that.

Show us on the cloud where the cloud touched you.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Daily Forecast posted:

You mean like Google does with their Chromebook line and Microsoft already does with their W8 Chromebook clones?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Daily Forecast posted:

Why don't you pick up an external hard drive? They makes ones with wifi.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Can you actually change the dialer on the Note 4? I don't care about settings menu aesthetics but not being able to really change the lovely dialer bugged me. You could download an app but as soon as you made a call it would go back to Touchwiz.

The jankiness of lock screen replacements wasn't great either. Though Lollipop looks like it will fix my main problem there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

When I need a fresh install of OS X, it's literally downloaded from the cloud by the computer with all updates installed prior to first boot.

I also have a Chromebook (because the alternative was a Windows laptop, lol) and that OS is completely in the cloud.

Can you imagine using an operating system in 2015 that comes on physical media? :lol: Edit: I don't even have a computer capable of reading optical media.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 15, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Personally I wish I could toggle the removable battery-powered SD card slot on/off with a capacitive button below my physical keyboard.

Edit: And the headphone port would be on the side.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Personally I wish I could toggle the removable battery-powered SD card slot on/off with a capacitive button below my physical keyboard.

Edit: And the headphone port would be on the side.
I was laughing along with you until the edit, you... you MONSTER!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Dark One posted:

Is the Moto G physically incapable of supporting three-button headphone remotes?

Was this a three-button-remote headphone that was explicitly said that it worked with Android? Most three-button headphone remotes I've seen have been set up to work with only Apple's proprietary three-button protocol, resulting on only the center button working when hooked up to an Android phone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone at my work has a weird issue where occasionally his Galaxy S4 shows a translucent yellow box on the bottom half of the screen. Roughly the size a multi-view app would be, but he has that disabled. It doesn't block touching the screen or anything though, you can press through it. It goes away if he adjusts the brightness or turns off the screen momentarily. Anyone ever see anything like this?

I've tried Googling it for him but the words S4, yellow and screen just get you a ton of pages about screen tint.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

Might be a Moto thing in general. I just got a the button remote headset for my Moto X and so far my research is that the remote will not work. Single button headsets work fine.

Moto themselves sell a one button headset:

http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-headphones-speakers/Motorola-Earbuds/earbuds-pdp.html#story-sound-lumineers

So maybe that is the case.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, "Nexus phones get updates first" kind of fell off a cliff once the Motorola phones started getting Lollipop before them, so that's kind of an invalid thing to say too. It's probably smarter that the other manufacturers seem to be waiting for 5.0.2 before updating, because when my Nexus 5 got Lollipop, like, everything loving broke. I couldn't even make calls until 5.0.1 hit! So Nexus phones break faster? Cool feature.
They didn't fall off a cliff. How many phones released in 2012 and 2013 have 5.0? The previous-generation Moto X still doesn't have it. My Nexus 5 worked perfectly fine on 5.0.0 and still does on 5.0.1.

Daily Forecast posted:

You almost had a point! You were so close.
The point is SD cards and removable batteries add more volume, not that it's possible to make something smaller than a Nexus.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Anyone have suggestions for a decent Nexus 6 case and/or screen protector? I don't want to butter finger my fancy new smartphone into an expensive paperweight.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I

Reverse Centaur posted:

Can you actually change the dialer on the Note 4? I don't care about settings menu aesthetics but not being able to really change the lovely dialer bugged me. You could download an app but as soon as you made a call it would go back to Touchwiz.

The jankiness of lock screen replacements wasn't great either. Though Lollipop looks like it will fix my main problem there.

I use ex-dailer, but its not seamless. The one cool thing is when a phone call comes in it doesn't block your entire screen. It's in this movable-hover window. Very convenient.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Boogle posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a decent Nexus 6 case and/or screen protector? I don't want to butter finger my fancy new smartphone into an expensive paperweight.

I have this case which I'm pretty happy with. But I also have this case which you can have for like $5 plus shipping if you'd like, I got it refunded because it took over a month to get to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Boogle posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Flexible-Motorola-Nexus/dp/B00PYKPX8U

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Android Thread - Get the Diztronic case already!

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been thinking about rooting my LG G3 for Xposed for a while now. My only concern is what would happen with OTA updates: would I gently caress up my phone by upgrading to lollipop from a rooted lg g3 with an xposed install? I guess I could always do a factory reset, go back to a fresh, non-xposed lg g3 install and do an OTA for lollipop that way?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Radio Talmudist posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been thinking about rooting my LG G3 for Xposed for a while now. My only concern is what would happen with OTA updates: would I gently caress up my phone by upgrading to lollipop from a rooted lg g3 with an xposed install? I guess I could always do a factory reset, go back to a fresh, non-xposed lg g3 install and do an OTA for lollipop that way?

As things stand right now, there is no Xposed support for Lollipop. This may change in the future, but keep this in mind when you root your phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Radio Talmudist posted:

Here's the thread you're looking for.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
5.0.2 finally posted for the 2013 N7. Maybe I can actually use it for video again.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

edit: nexus 10 as well

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Didn't 5.0.1 fix the video thing anyway?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

dissss posted:

Didn't 5.0.1 fix the video thing anyway?

Not even a little.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Radio Talmudist posted:

The Rooted thread is better at this, but based on the Android 5 security model (which assumes partitions other than /data are perfect unchanging monoliths) the update would simply fail before doing anything.

And Xposed on ART is not something you should expect anytime soon. Or maybe ever.

And OTAs are pretty easy to do from a freshly factory-imaged device environment (unless you have a phone without public distribution of factory images).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

the nicker posted:

Not even a little.

Works absolutely fine for me.

Then again I only ever ran into the original issue on 5.0 once

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

dissss posted:

Works absolutely fine for me.

Then again I only ever ran into the original issue on 5.0 once

Yeah.. i never even ran 5.0, did a clean flash straight to 5.0.1 and playing video in any app kills my tablet 95% of the time. It's basically a brick at this point, considering that's the primary thing I use(d) it for. Flashing 0.2 now.. fingers crossed.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

the nicker posted:

Yeah.. i never even ran 5.0, did a clean flash straight to 5.0.1 and playing video in any app kills my tablet 95% of the time. It's basically a brick at this point, considering that's the primary thing I use(d) it for. Flashing 0.2 now.. fingers crossed.

Thats odd. I had the issue with 5.0 where video would not play back, but 5.0.1 fixed all that. I've been pretty happy with 5.0.1 (low bar from 5.0s memory leak as well). I'm abuot to flash 5.0.2..

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've had almost no issues with 5.0.1 on my '13 N7, except for last night when the video bug appeared again. Restart fixed it. Only time it happened since I flashed 5.0.1 whenever it was available on the Factory Images page.

The N5 on the other hand can't get a solid update soon enough.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I've had almost no issues with 5.0.1 on my '13 N7, except for last night when the video bug appeared again. Restart fixed it. Only time it happened since I flashed 5.0.1 whenever it was available on the Factory Images page.

I just saw my first post-5.0.1 launcher redraw at 534 hours up.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's a hot potato all right

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's a bit late to ask as I have had my Nexus 5 for almost a year now, but I might as well try. Is there any way to fix the awful camera that this phone seems to have?

Every second time I got to film a video the auto focus shits itself and everything goes fuzzy. I have to close and open the app twice and then the video finally film nice and crisp.

Don't get me started on room that isn't lit with blazing sunlight. It's even worse then.

Is this a hardware thing with the phone, a hardware thing with camera or software/camera app issue?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 16, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

maltesh posted:

Was this a three-button-remote headphone that was explicitly said that it worked with Android? Most three-button headphone remotes I've seen have been set up to work with only Apple's proprietary three-button protocol, resulting on only the center button working when hooked up to an Android phone.

Yeah, they're made by Xiaomi.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

5436 posted:

I

I use ex-dailer, but its not seamless. The one cool thing is when a phone call comes in it doesn't block your entire screen. It's in this movable-hover window. Very convenient.

Hate to break it to you, but the Note 4's stock dialer does this.

I just got a Note 4 and deliberately decided not to root and do custom stuff after the nightmare that was keeping my S3 going. The way everyone here talks, I was bracing myself to cope with a horrendous experience.

Instead, my only gripe has been that I can't block ads and there's a weird bug where it won't remember my works wifi certificates. There's some janky colors here and there, I guess, if you care about that kind of thing, but everything works so well that I don't really get the hate anymore.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just got a Note 4 and deliberately decided not to root and do custom stuff after the nightmare that was keeping my S3 going. The way everyone here talks, I was bracing myself to cope with a horrendous experience.

Instead, my only gripe has been that I can't block ads and there's a weird bug where it won't remember my works wifi certificates. There's some janky colors here and there, I guess, if you care about that kind of thing, but everything works so well that I don't really get the hate anymore.

The Note 4 is the first phone since the Galaxy S2 with acceptable touchwiz, in my opinion.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Compared with my wife's S5 on the same "version" of android, it is much better. I noticed that it actually has started to consolidate many of the lollipop-like variations in the OS like in the app-switcher and also in the notification shade. I wonder how much cosmetically will change with the new update (whenever it comes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Just got my new G2. At the setup i've selected to use my Google account and transfer over data, but none of my apps are coming across? I can download them all manually but i'm just wondering why this isn't working? It'd be handy for the future if i have to factory reset etc.

I have backups set to ON on my old Nexus 4