Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I am not sure if I am being delusional but I finally used the programmable schedule on my precision to do the MC et al 4h@45C "pre bath" for tenderizing and then 6h@55C on a chuck roast gave me absolutely amazing tender results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have never heard of this business. Does it work on steaks too?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any reason not to jump on this for SV uses?

http://slickdeals.net/f/7587110-foodsaver-v2244-vacuum-sealer-59-99-free-shipping?v=1

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I have never heard of this business. Does it work on steaks too?

I still don't 100% understand the sorcery, but here's NM explaining it: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144300-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-2011/?p=1778020

So... maybe? For mine I did do boiling water for 5 seconds because you hold it in the danger zone for pretty much as long as it's safe. I've read that some people complain about an off-taste at 45 and that 40 might be better. But I didn't have the issue.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
104°F-113°F? Boy that's playing with fire.

I guess I'm gonna have to try it!

edit: well, come to think of it, that's what the reverse sear method kind of does, I recall some sources talking about enzyme action below 120°F (maybe it was Alton Brown?) except that it does it over 20-25 minutes

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 10, 2015

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The main concern I'd have with that one is that there's no moist/dry setting or low-speed vacuum (as far as I can see), which sounds like it may be a problem with certain recipes. Plus there's no roll storage, which could be a turn-off if you like to minimize clutter in your kitchen.

Other than that, it looks like a solid choice for a basic vacuum sealer.

Has anyone had any experience with VacMaster? I'm trying to choose between the VacMaster PRO260 and one of the better FoodSavers (something like the 3825).

Would there be anything particularly unwise with finding a good deal on a used Foodsaver on eBay?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cockmaster posted:

The main concern I'd have with that one is that there's no moist/dry setting or low-speed vacuum (as far as I can see), which sounds like it may be a problem with certain recipes. Plus there's no roll storage, which could be a turn-off if you like to minimize clutter in your kitchen.
Is internal storage really a thing? My dinky little Rival sealer is smaller than one 50' roll, much less the one I'm using and the spare I always have on hand because gently caress getting half way through bagging a bunch of poo poo to discover you've just run out.

Cockmaster posted:

Would there be anything particularly unwise with finding a good deal on a used Foodsaver on eBay?
The thing that's going to break on a vac sealer is the pump (well, and maybe the gaskets, but that poo poo's easy to fix) and it's going to break eventually. I wouldn't roll the dice on a used one because I don't think the price could be low enough to justify the unknown but unavoidably decreased service life.

But that's just me. I also can't really see the argument for anything but the cheapest `it works' vac sealer until you start talking about chamber vacs. At least not if you're buying one just to use with a puddle machine.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Not having this setting is a bitch, otherwise you have to make your marinade, then freeze it in a thin sheet that you can slide in before bagging it so you can get a good seal/vacuum/no air space.
If not and you're using a "wet" ingredient (marinade or custards and so on), you just have to settle with either A) a non full vacuum/manual seal or B)If its REALLY wet, the dunk and seal ziplock method.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I have about 2kg of pork currently bathing at 70C in a gently caress ton of spice rub and it looks ridiculous and I can't wait to eat it tomorrow. 36hr SV then 4 hr in my crock pot with bbq sauce, caramelised onion and garlic, and beef stock to finish it. I can't wait

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

McSpergin posted:

I have about 2kg of pork currently bathing at 70C in a gently caress ton of spice rub and it looks ridiculous and I can't wait to eat it tomorrow. 36hr SV then 4 hr in my crock pot with bbq sauce, caramelised onion and garlic, and beef stock to finish it. I can't wait

Why not just do it 40h on the crock pot?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SubG posted:

Is internal storage really a thing? My dinky little Rival sealer is smaller than one 50' roll, much less the one I'm using and the spare I always have on hand because gently caress getting half way through bagging a bunch of poo poo to discover you've just run out.

The thing that's going to break on a vac sealer is the pump (well, and maybe the gaskets, but that poo poo's easy to fix) and it's going to break eventually. I wouldn't roll the dice on a used one because I don't think the price could be low enough to justify the unknown but unavoidably decreased service life.

But that's just me. I also can't really see the argument for anything but the cheapest `it works' vac sealer until you start talking about chamber vacs. At least not if you're buying one just to use with a puddle machine.

i'd still recommend checking craigslist for cheap, used vac sealers (i realize this was a response to an australian). There's a ton available every time i've looked and you could buy 3 or 4 used ones for the price of one new one. i think its pretty common for people buy them and never use them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Buy a sealer at costco and return it if it breaks three years later.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

Buy a sealer at costco and return it if it breaks three years later.

Is that for real

I'd try it out myself but I'm concerned I might experience this thing called "shame"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
No that's just normal for Costco. I had a monitor that the backlight went out on 4 years later and they happily took it back and gave me a $200 credit to buy a new monitor. Upgraded from a crap 20" monitor to a nice 24" monitor.

The shameful stuff is buying a TV for the superbowl and then returning it one week later.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Finally got a searzall and am looking to try it out on something. Are there any types of meat / other food this thing is really good for? Based on my reading of this thread and other sites it appears that the searzall is kind of a wash for searing steaks when compared to using a skillet but seems great for irregular cuts or rounder shapes like chicken breasts. Any other recommendations from the crowd?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got some ny strips. Best way to go?

I was considering salting them tonight to make tomorrow. Good idea or no?

Time and temp?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I have an hour and half left of my large pork chop at 140F (3.5hr total). GF won't be home for 2hrs. This is my first time using my Anova or making sous vide in general.

I'm thinking I'll drop to 132 for the last 30 min of cooking and let roll for another 30min till she arrives based on limited understanding of how this works.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Time and temp?

I do ny strips at 52C for an hour or so.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

deimos posted:

Why not just do it 40h on the crock pot?

My crock pot slow cooks at 110C and I want 70c for gelatinisation and breakdown of fat, also it's only able to run for 9.5 hours at a time

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Whoever it was that recommended chicken breasts with enchilada sauce for ~1.5 hours at 140, thank you. That poo poo was amazing and made the best pollo guisado tacos ever.

Wow thank you, I am humbled by your post.

I need to test my Anova precision cooker but am traveling for the next month.

Real Killer
Aug 22, 2004

I picked up a Sansaire this week so if anyone wants my old Sous Vide Magic set up its yours if you pay the shipping. The plug tries to melt itself every now and then but i soldered on a new one and have some spares also. Everything below could be yours.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
In about 6 hours I'll be eating my first attempt at short ribs.In researching, I was surprised at the vastly different cooking times/temps you can find online. I assumed there would be huge variances on time to account for differences in texture, but why is there such a variance in temperatures (once you get to the long cook times of short ribs, I would think the higher temps would produce thoroughly well-done meat)? I ended up picking somewhere in middle of what I found (48h at 140). Early this morning, though, I woke up to the low-water alarm on my Anova. When I got to it, the temperature had dropped to 118. Am I gonna die when I eat this? I have no idea how quickly water will lose heat, but I would estimate the pot had about 4 gallons of water in it and it dropped 22 degrees. Is this long enough for anything bad to happen? I'm still probably going to eat them anyway, I just want to know if I should sleep with a bucket next to the bed.

Also, is there a trick to not breaking eggs? I've cooked 6-10 eggs three times. One time everything went fine. The other 2 times I had one or two eggs crack/chip and the white whisped out. It didn't really affect anything (hopefully this little bit of loose white doesn't gum up the circulator/etc.. but I'm wondering if this is a general issue with sous vide eggs. Should I be restraining them somehow so they aren't being kicked around in turbulent water?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sometimes they already have a hairline crack in them that you won't notice when you drop them in. Use a large spoon to put them in/out of the water, or put them in a ziploc bag full of water to contain them in case of leak.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mr Executive posted:

Also, is there a trick to not breaking eggs? I've cooked 6-10 eggs three times. One time everything went fine. The other 2 times I had one or two eggs crack/chip and the white whisped out. It didn't really affect anything (hopefully this little bit of loose white doesn't gum up the circulator/etc.. but I'm wondering if this is a general issue with sous vide eggs. Should I be restraining them somehow so they aren't being kicked around in turbulent water?

What I ended up doing was throwing a bundle of them into some cheesecloth, and attaching it to the side of the container with a clip. Still keeps them exposed to the water, and they basically don't move around at all. Works perfectly.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Sometimes they already have a hairline crack in them that you won't notice when you drop them in. Use a large spoon to put them in/out of the water, or put them in a ziploc bag full of water to contain them in case of leak.

G-Prime posted:

What I ended up doing was throwing a bundle of them into some cheesecloth, and attaching it to the side of the container with a clip. Still keeps them exposed to the water, and they basically don't move around at all. Works perfectly.

Good ideas. I was planning on doing something like this next time.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Mr Executive posted:

In about 6 hours I'll be eating my first attempt at short ribs.In researching, I was surprised at the vastly different cooking times/temps you can find online. I assumed there would be huge variances on time to account for differences in texture, but why is there such a variance in temperatures (once you get to the long cook times of short ribs, I would think the higher temps would produce thoroughly well-done meat)? I ended up picking somewhere in middle of what I found (48h at 140). Early this morning, though, I woke up to the low-water alarm on my Anova. When I got to it, the temperature had dropped to 118. Am I gonna die when I eat this? I have no idea how quickly water will lose heat, but I would estimate the pot had about 4 gallons of water in it and it dropped 22 degrees. Is this long enough for anything bad to happen? I'm still probably going to eat them anyway, I just want to know if I should sleep with a bucket next to the bed.

I think a lot of the discrepancies have to do with sous vide being a relatively new cooking method in the realm of the amateur chef. You see a lot of people experimenting and while there are definitely some leaders in the field (Doug Baldwin, Nathan Myrvold, Kenji Alt-Lopez), there's also a lot of static of different people of wildly varying expertise either knowingly or unknowingly trying new things. I tend to stick with Modernist Cuisine's recommendations, and I fill in the gaps with Baldwin while keeping in mind that his times and temps tend to be a little bit more conservative and skewed towards guaranteeing food safety. Kenji is great for complete recipes and ideas. Anyway, Chefsteps just recently made this "map" for sous vide times and temps, which makes for a pretty neat way to visualize the general temperature and time ranges that you should consider for a given protein or vegetable: http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-map-of-sous-vide-cooking

I had the exact same issue with eggs last night. I have some wire baskets like this that I usually use upside-down to keep stuff from floating too much during long cooks. Rightside-up, they'd probably be perfect to keep eggs in a more confined space so that they don't knock around too much. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats the best way to get colour on chicken breast without it sticking to the pan? Other than use a non-stick but I think that would lead to overcooking and defeating the point. I used high heat + oil but by the time I wanted to turn them over they stuck a bit. Not the end of the world but annoying

Its my first time using my anova and its to add to salad for lunch at work

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm curious, why would nonstick cause overcooking?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was more worried about the high temperatures damaging the non-stick coating and lower temperature seems like it would overcook the inside more

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mod sassinator posted:

I'm curious, why would nonstick cause overcooking?

Nonstick doesn't brown as well, so you need to let the food cook longer for a similar amount of browning. Also, you don't want to get nonstick pans as hot as you can a regular pan, so you wind up having to brown at a lower temperature.

So the bottom line is that you're leaving the food in there for a longer period of time.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Jose posted:

Whats the best way to get colour on chicken breast without it sticking to the pan? Other than use a non-stick but I think that would lead to overcooking and defeating the point. I used high heat + oil but by the time I wanted to turn them over they stuck a bit. Not the end of the world but annoying

Its my first time using my anova and its to add to salad for lunch at work

Use a cast iron pan. Put more oil in than you think you need.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

i just pulled some 48@145 pork ribs out of the bath. Due to changed plans i wont be serving them 'til Saturday.

Should i just bath them for another 24 and fridge for 48, or will 72 in the fridge be ok?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

toplitzin posted:

i just pulled some 48@145 pork ribs out of the bath. Due to changed plans i wont be serving them 'til Saturday.

Should i just bath them for another 24 and fridge for 48, or will 72 in the fridge be ok?

Those babies are pasteurized. You can pull them, throw them in an ice bath until cool, and then store them in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mikey Purp posted:

I think a lot of the discrepancies have to do with sous vide being a relatively new cooking method in the realm of the amateur chef. You see a lot of people experimenting and while there are definitely some leaders in the field (Doug Baldwin, Nathan Myrvold, Kenji Alt-Lopez), there's also a lot of static of different people of wildly varying expertise either knowingly or unknowingly trying new things.
Naaaaah. I mean there's some of this, sure. But despite what anyone might have told you, even when you're cooking in a puddle machine you're still just cooking and when you're cooking you're dealing with personal preferences and individual variations in ingredients more than you're solving an equation or doing a controlled experiment. Follow a recipe to the letter and you're loving up, because the recipe can't tell you about the poo poo that's sitting on your cutting board versus every other portion of what is nominally the same poo poo, and it can't tell you how you're feeling about it right then. This is even true about poo poo like battery farmed eggs, which are about as close to an analytically solved problem in sous vide cooking, where you're still just using a rule of thumb for what is inherently a stochastic process involving a shitload of different proteins that individually behave with perfect predictability but which in an actual egg are something you can at best just statistically model.

This kind of poo poo has always been true and it's something everyone's more or less aware of, but with more modernist or molecularist or whatever the gently caress poo poo getting into the mainstream there's this tendency to believe cooking has suddenly become all lol science all caps exclamation point. And that kinda leads to this expectation that every dish can be reduced to a beep boop formula that always produces beep boop identical results. But that's never going to be true until you have identical cooks, identical ingredients, and ideal spherical people eating. And gently caress that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Those babies are pasteurized. You can pull them, throw them in an ice bath until cool, and then store them in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.

Sweet!

Bit of a cross post from the quick question thread. The weather should be warm enough to smoke these babies on Saturday, but I'm at a bit of a loss as far as what i should use as a "BBQ Sauce" with the spice profile of the rub.

• 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ground allspice
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground Ginger

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Time and temp?

This might be too late, but I have only had bad experiences with salting more than a couple hours before cooking. The meat gets a slightly dry and chalky feel, even when you only cook at low temps

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't bother salting then ahead of time. Although I should have done something because they were definitely under seasoned. I think I need to season them again before searing next time. I did them at 130 but next time I think I'll go 128 or 129.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Mikey Purp posted:

I think a lot of the discrepancies have to do with sous vide being a relatively new cooking method in the realm of the amateur chef.

That may be true to some degree, but it's also a result of preference. The different time/temp combinations giving you different results; what one person likes, others may not, so you may have to try a few different methods to find the one that works for you.

For example, sous vide allows you to cook a tender brisket to a perfect medium-rare, which may be great for some people - but I tried it, and it was basically indistinguishable from prime rib. That's not to say it was bad, it just wasn't what we were looking for in a brisket. I cook my briskets at 167 now.

Mikey Purp posted:

I know I repeat myself a lot on this thread but do keep in mind that sous vide does not kill botulism spores, and the vacuum bag is a perfect environment for anaerobic bacteria.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
FWIW, I just tried short ribs. According to the waiter at Ma Peche, where I've had the best ones I've ever tasted, they do them there at 143F for 36 hours.

He's a liar. Either they did them at a higher temp or for a longer cook because these came out like steak. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was hoping to get to the fork-tender succulence of the ones as the restaurant.

So not as successful an outcome as I wanted, but they were still damned good with a port-wine reduction and pan-roasted rosemary/garlic taters.

What I'm thinking is that further experimentation is definitely called for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I didn't bother salting then ahead of time. Although I should have done something because they were definitely under seasoned. I think I need to season them again before searing next time. I did them at 130 but next time I think I'll go 128 or 129.

I'm still working this out, but I'm thinking now that for a long cook, maybe you might want to open up the bags a couple hours before serving, season them, and then put them back in the sous vide a couple hours until dinner time.