Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Acute observations by Nonsense.

I'm digging trollbama here. Hoping his plan is just to whip Congress into a frothy mess and let Mr(s) 2016 ride the wave on in.

It was the most highly rated facebook post, so you know it was authentically American :911:

I genuinely hope the sick leave thing can happen for so many especially this flu crazed season.

I wish the federal employee part he did expanded to all Americans :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

420DD Butts posted:

The only worry I have (and this doesn't change the fact that I support the move 100%) is that Republicans will use this as a way to whip non-federal employees into a frenzy over how "easy" they have life. Similar to the kind of arguments used to gut unions that worked to great success for a few decades in a lot of states. I hope this doesn't turn into a talking point for simply stripping these benefits instead of expanding them to all workers, and I hope Democrats come out hard in support of that before Republicans get a chance to control the narrative.

They already think/can be made to think that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ben Carson favors ISIS's political strategy over America's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0AiWdLBUbk

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

computer parts posted:

They already think/can be made to think that.

Perhaps, but it hasn't been something you've really seen out of right-wing spheres for a long time. Really pushing this in the media before Republicans get a chance to do their righteous indignation circuit could do a lot to stymie popular outrage outside of Fox and friends.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

420DD Butts posted:

I hope this doesn't turn into a talking point for simply stripping these benefits instead of expanding them to all workers, and I hope Democrats come out hard in support of that before Republicans get a chance to control the narrative.

I'd love to see Democrats get behind the message of improving our own private sector benefits to match or exceed the standard of federal employees, rather than "gently caress that guy who has it better than me." I know that's what I'll be pushing to people in my life and on social media.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

computer parts posted:

Step 1: Give Federal Employees tons of benefits.

Step 2: Make Everyone a Federal Employee.

:getin:

I'm game.

Alternatively have Obama set the Federal standard as the minimum standard. :getin:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

420DD Butts posted:

Perhaps, but it hasn't been something you've really seen out of right-wing spheres for a long time. Really pushing this in the media before Republicans get a chance to do their righteous indignation circuit could do a lot to stymie popular outrage outside of Fox and friends.

For this specific regulation you also have to consider that it doesn't really effect anyone above the age of 35 or so (at least women). Most of the (elderly) conservative outrage is going to be limited to "back in my day we didn't have this" which is at best a well worn piece of rhetoric.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
That is a good point. I just worry because I know how effective conservatives have been at rallying support to gut the benefits of public employees in some states in the past.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

420DD Butts posted:

The only worry I have (and this doesn't change the fact that I support the move 100%) is that Republicans will use this as a way to whip non-federal employees into a frenzy over how "easy" they have life. Similar to the kind of arguments used to gut unions that worked to great success for a few decades in a lot of states. I hope this doesn't turn into a talking point for simply stripping these benefits instead of expanding them to all workers, and I hope Democrats come out hard in support of that before Republicans get a chance to control the narrative.

Man, as a public school teacher, I have to tell you, this is the only thing that people care about; how easy you have it. They've internalized a weird and terrible pride about how hard they slave, how few benefits they have, and how much they like it. They don't want ANYONE to have anything, unless it goes solely to them and the "right kind of people". This is going all to the "wrong kind of people".

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Ben Carson favors ISIS's political strategy over America's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0AiWdLBUbk

So people in this thread are discussing movement politics in the 60's compared to today and the noticeable lack of modern charismatic civil rights, minority champions and here is a video of a modern minority leader parroting conservative talking points. It's odd to me that a lot of the most visible and vocal African-American heavyweights in politics today are in the conservative camp. What happened? Did capitalism co-opt them? Is it a reaction, over reaction, to seeing what happened to civil right's leaders that rocked the boat; they got shot? I don't expect an MLK to come along every generation but I'd at least like to see a Barbara Jordan.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quidam Viator posted:

Man, as a public school teacher, I have to tell you, this is the only thing that people care about; how easy you have it. They've internalized a weird and terrible pride about how hard they slave, how few benefits they have, and how much they like it. They don't want ANYONE to have anything, unless it goes solely to them and the "right kind of people". This is going all to the "wrong kind of people".

Isn't this one of the hosed-up parts of the American working culture? That you have to be a suffering, miserable wreck for you to have actually done "real" work and therefore 'earned' your way?

Maybe with better benefits (like those comfy public sector types) they could turn that frown upside down.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

radical meme posted:

So people in this thread are discussing movement politics in the 60's compared to today and the noticeable lack of modern charismatic civil rights, minority champions and here is a video of a modern minority leader parroting conservative talking points. It's odd to me that a lot of the most visible and vocal African-American heavyweights in politics today are in the conservative camp. What happened? Did capitalism co-opt them? Is it a reaction, over reaction, to seeing what happened to civil right's leaders that rocked the boat; they got shot? I don't expect an MLK to come along every generation but I'd at least like to see a Barbara Jordan.

Some black folks figured that there's tons of money to be made reaffirming the worldviews of old white Republicans.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
America has a new Chairman of Natural Resources Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee. :toot:

quote:

In this new role as the Natural Resources Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Chairman, I plan to hold this administration's feet to the fire for the good of every household in America. This economy is ready to do amazing things if we loosen the death grip that this administration has had by using over 70,000 pages of new regulations each year. These power-hungry bureaucrats need to return the freedoms they have robbed from Americans, so Americans can make their own choices and save vast amounts of money they are currently spending on energy and taxes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

radical meme posted:

I can think of a pretty prominent liberal black leader now, he lives in a fancy house even.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

How is it that someone can say so much and mean so little?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Some black folks figured that there's tons of money to be made reaffirming the worldviews of old white Republicans.

It is possible that people can believe things that are actually harmful to themselves and people like them. It's the same reason you see working class whites continually vote for people that want nothing but to destroy them for profit.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I really don't want to have to pay for my own fire, police, roadways, schools, clean air, clean water, import inspection, food health inspections, water way maintenance, courts, weather monitoring, border protection... I also don't want to have to spend my entire day researching which exact toys are safe for my kids to play with, which water I should pay for because they have the best safety record, or the environmental impact of the things I buy.

I really want to make sure that we have a centralized location that can help make sure things like the above are taken care of so I can live my life.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

It's odd to me that a lot of the most visible and vocal African-American heavyweights in politics today are in the conservative camp.

So this list of Republican African-American "heavyweights" includes Tim Scott, Mia Love, Ben Carson, and Michael Steele.

And I'm being charitable with Carson and Steele. Do we need to mention Herman Cain here?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

So this list of Republican African-American "heavyweights" includes Tim Scott, Mia Love, Ben Carson, and Michael Steele.

And I'm being charitable with Carson and Steele. Do we need to mention Herman Cain here?

Apparently Black People in politics are only noticeable if they're conservative.

Is Condeleeza Rice still a Republican or did she change like Colin Powell?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

I can think of a pretty prominent liberal black leader now, he lives in a fancy house even.

That's not really the same though. Obama, Holder, Susan Rice, Cory Booker; they're all working within the restraints that come from being part of the two party system. They can't really throw rocks at the system or advocate for radical change like an MLK or Malcolm X. They are constrained by the limits of their office.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Even if he didn’t win, if he had made Benghazi a bigger issue, I think we would have had a better chance." ~ political strategist Rudy Giuliani, on his foolproof plan for Mitt 2016.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

radical meme posted:

That's not really the same though. Obama, Holder, Susan Rice, Cory Booker; they're all working within the restraints that come from being part of the two party system. They can't really throw rocks at the system or advocate for radical change like an MLK or Malcolm X. They are constrained by the limits of their office.

Carson isn't advocating for radical change either, and he's running for president (probably) in 2016.

There aren't really radical black leaders in general under the criteria you give.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts posted:

There aren't really radical black leaders in general under the criteria you give.

What about that New Black Panthers guy who Fox shows opening doors in Philly every four years?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

What about that New Black Panthers guy who Fox shows opening doors in Philly every four years?

Holder's People :argh:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

Is Condeleeza Rice still a Republican or did she change like Colin Powell?

Thinking about it, I can't say for certain I've ever really heard her voice an opinion on domestic issues.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Yes, Cain. Clarence Thomas, Condeleeza Rice, J.C. Watts, Artur Davis and all the others that have in most instances gone after the conservative donor dollars. Where's the counter weights here? Cory Booker is slammed for his Wall Street connections and maybe rightfully so but, who else?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

radical meme posted:

Yes, Cain. Clarence Thomas, Condeleeza Rice, J.C. Watts, Artur Davis and all the others that have in most instances gone after the conservative donor dollars. Where's the counter weights here? Cory Booker is slammed for his Wall Street connections and maybe rightfully so but, who else?

Barack Obama :whatup:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woah, J.C. Watts. That's a good blast from the past. You forgot Alan Keyes, though. Whatever happened to that guy? Didn't he run for Senate?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Even if he didn’t win, if he had made Benghazi a bigger issue, I think we would have had a better chance." ~ political strategist Rudy Giuliani, on his foolproof plan for Mitt 2016.

Benghazi? What's that, some sort of mixed drink?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

Woah, J.C. Watts. That's a good blast from the past. You forgot Alan Keyes, though. Whatever happened to that guy? Didn't he run for Senate?

He introduced the crazification factor, that's gotta count for something. I think other wingnuts have stolen his thunder.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Carson isn't advocating for radical change either, and he's running for president (probably) in 2016.

Joementum posted:

I'm merely lamenting the noticeable absence of modern liberal African-American leaders. I'm sure that someone will rise up in the near future to capture the imagination of young black voters but, I don't see that person presently. I'm not looking for radical as in Black Panther radical but more a leader for the times type of radical. Maybe they're out there now and they don't get any press because the conservative blow hards make for better press.

edit: let me just add that the Democratic party needs to abandon the idea that black people will vote for a black person just because they are black or that Hispanic people will vote for a Mexican-American just because they are Hispanic. These politicians, including the Castro brothers and the Cory Bookers of the party, had better start giving these communities a reason to vote for them other the color of their skin.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 16, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Don't forget Deval Patrick
:patssay:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

radical meme posted:

I'm merely lamenting the noticeable absence of modern liberal African-American leaders. I'm sure that someone will rise up in the near future to capture the imagination of young black voters but, I don't see that person presently. I'm not looking for radical as in Black Panther radical but more a leader for the times type of radical. Maybe they're out there now and they don't get any press because the conservative blow hards make for better press.

Now that I'm back home, there's still John Lewis and James Clyburn, although they're getting on in years.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I think you have a harder time finding younger black leaders now because anyone who's under 40 more or less grew up in Reagan's America, where things like the war on drugs really started hitting minority communities disproportionally and welfare queen became a thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm not going to pretend that my personal story in any way resembles that of a young person of color, so I may be way off base here, but I have a hunch, a guess, that they may find more inspiration from Barack Obama and Eric Holder than crazy Dr. Carson.

I guess we'll find out in twenty years if the Congressional Black Caucus starts speaking out against the rampant political correctness in our society and call for an end to egalitarianism.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

John Lewis probably doesn't have that many years left and that makes me horribly sad.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

joeburz posted:

John Lewis probably doesn't have that many years left and that makes me horribly sad.

He's only 74. In rich person years that's like 60.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

joeburz posted:

:agreed:

With poo poo happening like the Voting Rights Act getting gutted by SCOTUS, we need him more than ever at a time when he's already an old man.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
America continues to be very racist in action if not in voice....drops in black household income, wealth, increased school segregation, etc.

And it gets more dismissed because we have black president and people aren't flat out saying "we don't hire them negroes"

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

420DD Butts posted:

He's not really rich.

edit: VVVV and that. they took some nasty beatings back then, i thought he was TKO'd on one of the freedom rides too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

420DD Butts posted:

Most rich people haven't had their skull beaten in with a nightstick though.

• Locked thread