Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay, so, I'mma bring it over to that guy a couple of blocks away that probably should've figured out what the issue was in the first place today.

Issue is that the battery is dead, so I'm using a heavy-duty car battery charger that my workplace has and charging it up inside for the moment in the garage.

Once it's to 12.6-8 volts, plan is to pop it back in, and drive it carefully to the repair place, since it's not at all far away and my car won't overheat in that short of a time in this weather.

Something is vaguely worrying me, though. If the car is running and the alternator is working as it should/is strong enough to power the battery, then the battery shouldn't be at 10v after some charging. So to be honest, I might need to diagnose both the belts flying off AND the alternator possibly not giving enough amperage to charge the battery and keep it from draining with all the extra "goodies" (electrical fan system, aftermarket car stereo, light-up gauges, etc) that are on my car.

Unless I'm completely and utterly wrong about car electrical systems, which is a very very real possibility, to be honest. Worst case scenario, I can disconnect the car stereo completely when the alternator belt issue is resolved and see if that adjusts my charging capabilities at all.

fishception fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Well the alternator is driven by one of the belts so it isn't generating poo poo while the belts keep flying off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it not bringing on a warning light on the dash for the charging/voltage? Or did these originally have a gauge, which some helpful PO has removed?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Well the alternator is driven by one of the belts so it isn't generating poo poo while the belts keep flying off.

The moment the belt flew off, I pretty much pulled over, stopped the car, and got it towed. It should've kept SOME charge from that, shouldn't it've?

Unless I'm completely wrong. Which, again, is a very real possibility.

InitialDave posted:

Is it not bringing on a warning light on the dash for the charging/voltage? Or did these originally have a gauge, which some helpful PO has removed?

At this moment in time, when I put the key to run, I'm not even getting a flicker of acknowledgement that the car in fact has any power. So, I'm going to make drat sure that battery is well and charged, and then I'm gonna plop it back in, and see what happens when I hook everything back up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How long ago was that? Batteries won't hold a charge forever, especially in the cold.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Wait I can't remember if you ever fixed those jacked up battery cables in the car. That would definitely cause some intermittent power weirding.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

lollin' at (still) seriouspostin itt

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

West SAAB Story posted:

I don't get it, why are you laughing at seriousposting? I'm trying to get my stuff working. I'm just not very good at it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

Why are we here if not to help - We were all car-dumb* when we started, at least he's making forward strides at this point :shobon:

* I still am.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

No, not you. :rolleyes:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Wasn't that battery brand new in mid-December? And did you ever actually replace those hosed battery cables? Even a low battery should do something when you turn the key unless it's completely and utterly stone dead like the alternator wasn't charging it even when the belt was connected.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

jammyozzy posted:

Wasn't that battery brand new in mid-December? And did you ever actually replace those hosed battery cables? Even a low battery should do something when you turn the key unless it's completely and utterly stone dead like the alternator wasn't charging it even when the belt was connected.

Yeeeeep, was brand new in mid-December. The battery cables are, again, one of the things that I eventually have to replace, but at the moment, getting the car actually running is a bit higher up on the list than battery cables. I'm leaning more towards the alternator being shot. Maybe I can pick up a Nissan Titan 150-Amp Alternator, swap it in like the link a few pages back, and have more amperage than I could ever need charging my battery.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yeeeeep, was brand new in mid-December. The battery cables are, again, one of the things that I eventually have to replace, but at the moment, getting the car actually running is a bit higher up on the list than battery cables. I'm leaning more towards the alternator being shot. Maybe I can pick up a Nissan Titan 150-Amp Alternator, swap it in like the link a few pages back, and have more amperage than I could ever need charging my battery.

Figure out the belt first, then the battery cables and while you're in there dicking around pull the alternator and get it tested.

http://www.autozone.com/inourstores/services.jsp

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The cables are part of getting it running. Alternators don't use magnets and need an initial voltage input or they can't make any power even while spinning. Upgrading your alternator won't do anything if it doesn't have a reliable battery connection.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Wait are we still at the "replace the battery cables" stage in this thread? Really?

really?!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

West SAAB Story posted:

Again.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Terrible Robot posted:

Wait are we still at the "replace the battery cables" stage in this thread? Really?

really?!

Alright, lemme make this perfectly clear: I have no clue what I'm doing. The issue with the cables are not at the forefront of my mind, because I don't really know what I'm doing in that respect. It's something that I will need to fix eventually, but as long as it's a kinda frayed negative terminal grounding cable, I'm not super worried about it. The positive battery cable is in pretty good shape.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't think you understand, that is quite capable of being the root cause of every electrical issue you have had or will have with the car, and is amongst the easiest car repair jobs going. You really should do it.

I really don't want to be one of the people bagging on you for stuff, but God drat.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

West SAAB Story posted:

Emptyquotin' myself.

"Oh, the negative is kind of ugly but the positive looks fine (visually)."

This. Is. Too. AwesomeGood.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you don't understand it, then loving LISTEN to people telling you what you should probably replace. Or learn why they're telling you this.

You're doing neither and it's lazy and annoying.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

InitialDave posted:

I don't think you understand, that is quite capable of being the root cause of every electrical issue you have had or will have with the car, and is amongst the easiest car repair jobs going. You really should do it.

I really don't want to be one of the people bagging on you for stuff, but God drat.

Okay, so once I get the new belt on, new plan.

Get paid on Friday (because I am literally broke, no joke), get crimper set, get the wire that I need to fix the negative terminal, then get it fixed since the weather this weekend is looking pretty good. Hence why I'm doing stuff today involving getting it to the guy that originally slapped a new belt on it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I already told you that with about 99.9% of vehicles in the last 30 years that you can simulate a good negative by snapping a jump start on the negative pole and the other side on any larger exposed metal part of the engine. What was missed? We're talking about 15 seconds of work here. The battery is the leaky square thing with rock candy (but tastes bad) on top.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Buy the terminals that look like this:

and the cables that look like this:

Take the hosed cable off of your car, making sure you'll remember how it was routed and to where. Take pictures beforehand of the whole route and each connection. Buy however many cables of whichever lengths you'll need to duplicate all of the connections that are there. Clean the posts on the battery while you're at it, you can just use a tooth brush or something. It's pretty simple once you realize that all you're doing is recreating the original from store bought parts. Clean every connection that you interact with. The battery terminals attach to the posts on the battery, and the cable ends slip onto the post of the terminal. The wingnut keeps it all snug.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 15, 2015

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Okay, so once I get the new belt on, new plan.

Get paid on Friday (because I am literally broke, no joke), get crimper set, get the wire that I need to fix the negative terminal, then get it fixed since the weather this weekend is looking pretty good. Hence why I'm doing stuff today involving getting it to the guy that originally slapped a new belt on it.

Yes, this is a better plan, do this.

It's all well and good having a brand new battery and the world's beefiest alternator, but if all your electricity is escaping through some poo poo-tastic cable touching the chassis somewhere it's gonna do you dick all good and cost you another battery.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Someone really oughta kick your rear end. How the gently caress are you this bad at following instructions?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know but I suspect it has something to do with why he's not in the navy anymore.

Also: why am I still subscribed to this useless loving piece of poo poo thread started by someone who couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel? gently caress. Solved that problem, at least.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

I don't know but I suspect it has something to do with why he's not in the navy anymore.

Also: why am I still subscribed to this useless loving piece of poo poo thread started by someone who couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel? gently caress. Solved that problem, at least.

Ask Motronic. He gets subscribed to the SAAB thread every time I send him a link. Every. loving. Time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sell the car as is, because at this point it will never run properly again. In addition, I had always suspected it of being a non-factory Turbo car, but wouldn't the Manual Climate Controls and Analog Dash give that away immediately? Aside from the Shiro editions I thought all Z31 Turbos came that way...

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 15, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Human Grand Prix posted:

Sell the car as is, because at this point it will never run properly again. In addition, I had always suspected it of being a non-factory Turbo car, but wouldn't the Manual Climate Controls and Analog Dash give that away immediately? Aside from the Shiro editions I thought all Z31 Turbos came that way...

Agreed. Infact stay away from doing any work to any vehicle. Maybe start off with a lawn mower.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Terrible Robot posted:

really?!

:stonk: I too thought this had already happend.... do this now please

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just close this thread it's worthless.

Then have somebody else get the car running and just sell it.

Then don't ever post another thread in AI again.

Thank you.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

I am literally broke, no joke
But hows that 3k gaming rig running for ya?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
No, keep the thread open, it's useful for reminding myself that no matter how much I loathe myself at least I'm not as loving stupid and wrongheaded as the OP is

Protip OP: If you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, you probably shouldn't completely disregard the advice of people who do know what the gently caress they are doing in favor of your harebrained plans

How the gently caress are you 26 years old and been through the military and not had this habit of thinking you're smarter than everyone else and you can do it your own way (which is totally what you are doing even if you won't admit it) broken yet? You aren't going to learn a god drat thing if you won't actually listen to anyone.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Wally Joyner posted:

:drat: :iceburn:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Goons told me to do things and I did them and am very happy with my vehicle as a result A+++. Why do you not do the things Goons told you to do OP?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wally Joyner posted:

He needed it to run Mechanic Simulator. Now he just needs to wait for the 300zx DLC.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This thread is 22 goddamn pages long and the OP hasn't even done the first task set to him. Other posters here have threads that aren't even half that length yet have managed to accomplish 100x more on their vehicles.

Do you like getting pissed on, dude? We all had to start somewhere, but that's the key: we loving started. I still have a nice scar on one of my knuckles from my first day of car ownership, because the wrench slipped while I was replacing the...*gasp*...battery cables! I know it's cold or whatever, but last winter I replaced the entire engine in a car, in a lean-to with a dirt floor and no walls, with a basic set of hand tools and a lot of anger.

You need to get angry; at us for giving you endless poo poo (and, let's be honest, endless patience as well), at the car, at yourself for getting into this situation in the first place. Use that anger to keep you warm while you stumble through your first auto repair. You'll feel great about yourself afterwards, and you might even be able to actually enjoy your awesome 80s car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm gonna be the sole dissenting voice here. Yes, the Z is a calamity wrapped around a catastrophe wrapped around a toasted clutch, but I think Sperge has finally started to grasp the enormity of the hole he's found himself in.

One step at a time, Firecock. One step at a time.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
My, that ''Goon on a well'' metaphore sure is funny after the 22nd page..

• Locked thread