Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Testekill posted:

Man, DBM is really pushing Bojack hard. He's gonna have at least three specials and he had the first dramatic moment in the series when he kills Pan. But it's seriously not working and I don't know why they're so dedicated to making him a big deal.

Yeah it's really weird. Having him kill Pan wasn't a bad sequence since it raised the stakes of the tournament a little bit and added some drama, and as hilariously awful as the first special's art was, it was really only fair since all the other universes were getting origin-story specials. But we just got a second special in which nothing happened and now we're hearing about a third in which some characters nobody's ever met before probably try to kill Bojack for some currently non-specific grievance. It's really bizzare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bojack is probably just the writer's favorite. I know if I was writing this, Android 13 would be getting three specials.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Bojack is probably just the writer's favorite. I know if I was writing this, Android 13 would be getting three specials.

So many enemies, so many $30 haircuts to insult.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I just wish there was a universe in DBM where Pilaf and friends somehow won, that would have been hilarious.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just wish the Team Four Star universe was there..

Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I just wish the Team Four Star universe was there..

Universe 82, the one with the universal slow gas leak.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Caros posted:

Universe 82, the one with the universal slow gas leak.

What does that make the WeeklyTubeShow universe then?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'd take a month of them showing universes that they passed up. If the primitive saiyan universe was worth bringing opponents from despite their incredible weakness compared to everyone else, there has to be one of a buffet featuring all the DBZ food puns on the menu.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

RZApublican posted:

He didn't get over.

Which gave birth to the minor meme 'Rebboj is...'

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I don't think the author really has any particular fondness for Bojack, but he needs filler and the dumbasses willing to draw filler for this webseries have somehow coincidentally chosen Bojack.

That, or we're sort of getting ready to say goodbye to Bojack and just getting the backstory out of the world.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've never seen the Bojack movie, but what I've gleaned from other sources is he doesn't really have much of a back story, he's just there. Maybe the DBM authors are seizing that opportunity to make a poo poo ton of filler by giving this dumb character more back story.

I guess I can't complain too much since I enjoyed the Gast special and it largely amounts to the same thing. But Gast was fighting characters we know as opposed to some made up original characters

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

I've never seen the Bojack movie, but what I've gleaned from other sources is he doesn't really have much of a back story, he's just there. Maybe the DBM authors are seizing that opportunity to make a poo poo ton of filler by giving this dumb character more back story.

I guess I can't complain too much since I enjoyed the Gast special and it largely amounts to the same thing. But Gast was fighting characters we know as opposed to some made up original characters

Also, Gast's specials were better drawn and not hideously dull.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

facebook jihad posted:

Yeah, you just know he's a space pirate rear end in a top hat and he was imprisoned inside King Kai's planet and released when Cell caught a nasty case of explosion. I actually liked quite a bit of the fighting in that movie, namely Tien and Trunks showing off for the crowd, and the non-Bojack villains had a neat shtick with their energy web thing, but it was about as generic as a DBZ movie can be- "Hey, Krillin is bad at things (despite being one of the strongest beings on the planet)/ Gohan's in trouble, here comes Piccolo to save him!.. and then promptly gets the poo poo kicked out of him/ Vegeta and Trunks are cool but not as cool as Goku and Gohan", etc.

Edit: Also, the scene with Vegeta throwing Trunks his sword was awesome.. despite the fact that Trunks never uses it in combat afterwards and they both get their poo poo wrecked soon after.

It's always been funny to me that Vegeta talks so much poo poo about people being weaklings then gets demolished in literally every fight he's been involved with other than Android 19. Also, when he's talking poo poo about Piccolo and Krillin being the weaklings when Dabura turned them into stone, he's forgetting the fact that at their current strength they could have beaten him into a fine red mist when he first showed up on Earth.

Honestly, with the Saiyan "get stronger after getting beat up" mechanic, you'd think the Vegeta/Goku/Nappa/Raditz crew in DBM would do nothing but beat each other half to death every day and get into one of Frieza's "feel better" machines.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Honestly, with the Saiyan "get stronger after getting beat up" mechanic, you'd think the Vegeta/Goku/Nappa/Raditz crew in DBM would do nothing but beat each other half to death every day and get into one of Frieza's "feel better" machines.

The zenkai was brought in Frieza saga and promptly used and abused to justify fast power growths and then it was forgotten after it. I believe toriyama figured out that it was a game breaker.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't Cell get a zenkai a couple of times due to his Saiyan cells?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Towa can make your allies go evil because gently caress you

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

That's loving awesome, I was hoping there was more to it than the wiki suggested with just a few villains getting a boost.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

New Leaf posted:

That's loving awesome, I was hoping there was more to it than the wiki suggested with just a few villains getting a boost.

The trailer for the game shows the portion where Mr. Satan gets possessed and some character reactions.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

The trailer for the game shows the portion where Mr. Satan gets possessed and some character reactions.

Yeah, but I didn't realize it was going to be Vegeta, Gohan, etc.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Vegeta? Why, I never!

Endorph posted:

He got a boost after surviving his suicide-bombing, which let him be even more powerful than his final form even without #18.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I am shocked, shocked that Vegeta gets controlled and turns evil. Shocked.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Everyone is Lobo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

furiouskoala posted:

Everyone is Lobo.

Oh gently caress you, now I can't unsee it. At least Mr. Satan kinda sounds like the Main Man.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

New Leaf posted:

Oh gently caress you, now I can't unsee it. At least Mr. Satan kinda sounds like the Main Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TbwG3V2CP0

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

New Leaf posted:

It's always been funny to me that Vegeta talks so much poo poo about people being weaklings then gets demolished in literally every fight he's been involved with other than Android 19.

Cui, Dodoria, Jeice, Ginyu, and Pui Pui.

Endorph posted:

Only when he blew himself up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Those weren't fights, they were charity.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He also one-shots Guldo. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, for some reason I remembered Cell mentioning getting a zenkai after Tien blew him up seventy times. But I guess he technically won that fight once Tien passed out. :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The Champion of Earth, corrupted? Truly this is the world's darkest hour if even Hercule isn't immune to such villainous tricks!

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Endorph posted:

Oh, for some reason I remembered Cell mentioning getting a zenkai after Tien blew him up seventy times. But I guess he technically won that fight once Tien passed out. :v:
I mean he might have who knows, but unless I'm remembering wrong, does it matter at all how strong 2nd form Cell was? Before that transformation he was already strong enough to overcome 17 so he was already stronger than anyone not in a different time-space, and by the time he fights someone stronger he's already Perfect.

Basically, it's kind of the third form of Freeza problem (although I guess that one explicitly outclassed Piccolo) where the powers of both Imperfect Cell and 2nd form Cell falls somewhere between 17 and post training Vegeta.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I don't recall that, and it wouldn't really make that much sense. Zenkai, as silly a concept as it is, is only ever described as something that follows a near-death experience. Cell doesn't respond to Tien's attacks like they're even seriously hurting him, they're just holding him down while 18 and 16 get the gently caress out.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Twiddy posted:

I mean he might have who knows, but unless I'm remembering wrong, does it matter at all how strong 2nd form Cell was? Before that transformation he was already strong enough to overcome 17 so he was already stronger than anyone not in a different time-space, and by the time he fights someone stronger he's already Perfect.

Basically, it's kind of the third form of Freeza problem (although I guess that one explicitly outclassed Piccolo) where the powers of both Imperfect Cell and 2nd form Cell falls somewhere between 17 and post training Vegeta.

I guess 2nd form Cell was also stronger than 16, rather than roughly equal.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

mmkay posted:

I guess 2nd form Cell was also stronger than 16, rather than roughly equal.
Oh yeah I kind of forgot 16 ranks higher than 17 and 18 because he never fights. That actually gives it narrative relevance. About the same as Freeza 3rd form.

EDIT: Also turns out I completely forgot that Cell and 16 fought. Well now I'm gonna be a bit less surprised at the next episode of DBZA!

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 15, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Tien was hurting Cell enough to make him angry but not much else. It was a pretty good moment in the series.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Vegeta could have beaten Frieza third form after he zenakai'd he was just too slow to get it done

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

bowmore posted:

Vegeta could have beaten Frieza third form after he zenakai'd he was just too slow to get it done
Yeah he could have, same as Vegeta being able to beat Cell 2nd form. I'm just looking at what conflicts actually happen with a strong focus on timing. I believe it does a good job of explaining why Freeza 3rd form and Cell 2nd form aren't seen as that significant in the narrative (or more specifically, they're very obviously transition phases). They don't change the immediate power dynamics significantly and by the time they would, the villain's already transformed again.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Didn't Goku get a power-up back in Dragonball after one of the Piccolos beat him up and he recovered via senzu?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twiddy posted:

Oh yeah I kind of forgot 16 ranks higher than 17 and 18 because he never fights. That actually gives it narrative relevance. About the same as Freeza 3rd form.

EDIT: Also turns out I completely forgot that Cell and 16 fought. Well now I'm gonna be a bit less surprised at the next episode of DBZA!

That scene was awesome when I was little. 16 does basically nothing until Cell, who's been flitting about menacingly in the background up to this point, shows up out of the blue and then he steps forward and says, "If my calculations are correct, I should be just as strong as Cell."

Then he fights him and rips his tail off. True, he grew it back straight away, but it was still a pretty cool fight.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shyrka posted:

Didn't Goku get a power-up back in Dragonball after one of the Piccolos beat him up and he recovered via senzu?

Going off the top of my head...no? He gets beaten by Tambourine and then beats him, but it's blamed on the fact that Goku was weak from the tournament. If you want to blame that on zenkai, then go ahead, but that's just fan speculation. Goku then gets beat by Piccolo, where he gets the senzu afterwards, but he also gets the super holy water that serves as the power up for the Piccolo fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I bet the only reason 16 fights Cell in DBZA will be because he's part Goku.

• Locked thread