Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Telus will Install FTTH and then lower data caps even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Just go this e-mail from TekSavvy

quote:

Hello [Redacted],

We are writing to inform you about changes to your Internet access service. Starting with your first billing cycle following February 15, 2015, your current package for [Redacted] of 20/10Mbps with 300 GB of usage at $47.95 will become 20/10Mbps with 400 GB of usage at $54.95.

We would like to tell you why.

As you know, TekSavvy delivers the local portion of your Internet access over a third-party incumbent’s platform. The wholesale price we pay for that local access is regulated at rates set by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commissions (CRTC). The rates reflect two parts: access line charges, and aggregate bandwidth charges.

The aggregate bandwidth charges are known as “Capacity Based Billing” or CBB. Put simply, CBB rates are too high. They were too high when they were set years ago. And while bandwidth usage has skyrocketed, there have been no substantial changes to those regulated rates. As a result, what we pay for the use of the local part of the network has increased drastically.

We continue to fight to bring down those costs so that we can minimize their impact on consumers. But at this point, there have not been any significant changes to those CBB prices, and so TekSavvy must adjust its rates and Internet packages. This way we can ensure that we can maintain the level of service you have come to expect from us, and to continue to be competitive in the marketplace.

No action is required on your part. TekSavvy will automatically make the updates to your account.
Our prepaid service does not lock you into a contract, so you can always visit http://myaccount.teksavvy.com to make changes to your services or call us to cancel. Formally, this means that you can refuse this rate increase without cost, penalty, or cancellation indemnity, by calling in to that effect no later than 30 days from this notice, which has informed you that: the change is in force; and that the resulting rate changes will affect billing cycles starting from February 15, 2015.

If you are considering changes, please see our list of packages at http://www.teksavvy.com.

If you have any questions about these changes or the options that you have, please feel free to give us a call at 1.877.779.1575 or visit http://myaccount.teksavvy.com so we can discuss them with you.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

TekSavvy Solutions Inc
800 Richmond Street
Chatham, ON N7M 5J5
Frequently Asked Questions

Why is TekSavvy increasing its rates?
We have noted a significant increase in usage (capacity used) since the beginning of last year. This means that generally, as we use the Internet more frequently for things like streaming, gaming and downloading, the price we all pay for Internet is going up.

What services are affected?
The majority of our services are affected by this change. Not everyone will receive the same change to their Internet package; some will receive a speed change to bring us in line with incumbent tariffs, some will receive a usage change, and some will receive a price change.

When will my price change?
Your price change will happen on your February invoice, 30 days after you receive our notice. There is no need to call in as the change will happen automatically. If you would like to make changes to your account please give us a call.

How can I change my package?
Please login to http://myaccount.teksavvy.com to make changes to your package.

Where can I find more information about the rates that 3rd Party ISPs pay to incumbents?
You can visit the CRTC website to see all proceedings that are related to our business.

Why is my speed changing?
Your speed is changing to keep us in line with incumbent tariffs. Incumbents regularly change the line speeds that we can offer our customers. If you are receiving a speed change, it reflects newly-tariffed speeds.

Why is my usage cap changing?
In most cases, your bandwidth cap will increase with this change.
On the lower bandwidth tier of 75 GB, the cap has increased to 150 GB (“Lite”); and
On the 300 GB tier we are increasing the cap to 400 GB (“Pro”).
We’ve changed these caps to remain competitive in the marketplace and to provide our customers added value with their service. Our “Unlimited” bandwidth packages will not receive a change in bandwidth cap.

Will I require a new modem?
In most cases, you will not need a new modem. In the case that you opt to increase your speed or change connection type, you may need to use a new a modem. Please give us a call if you are interested in making a change.

Some downright bs but nothing they can do really

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Changing packages doesn't require a technician to come by or anything, right? Assuming my current modem is sufficient and everything.

I got that email too, going from 28/1 300GB at $49 to 28/1 400GB at $53, but I just looked at the packages they offer in my area and at some point they added 30/5 400GB for $55, so I might as well just switch to that.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

As long as the speed stays the same, it's just an accounting/record change on their side, no tech needed anywhere.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Armor-Piercing posted:

Changing packages doesn't require a technician to come by or anything, right? Assuming my current modem is sufficient and everything.

I got that email too, going from 28/1 300GB at $49 to 28/1 400GB at $53, but I just looked at the packages they offer in my area and at some point they added 30/5 400GB for $55, so I might as well just switch to that.

It depends. Rogers no longer accepts service changes for certain older models of modem, and if you have one of those, you are stuck with your current service until you purchase a new modem.

This is a change Rogers imposed on all their TPIA customers, it's not just Teksavvy.

If you are in this boat (check the teksavvy website for a list) I'd recommend waiting. Rogers is in the process of changing the modem requirements again, and a good bunch of the currently approved modems will drop of the list. They've been stalling on approving the new modems however, because they can use this to cut off TPIA access to higher tiers. New modems should finally get approved in a month or two, though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://ubn.ca/

Anyone have any anecdotal experience with these guys? In Victoria particularly? I am tempted to make fibre a living requirement for my next residence.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone offering fibre to your house can't really be bad

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

quote:

We are writing to inform you about changes to your Internet access service. Starting with your first billing cycle following February 15, 2015, your current package for ID of 60/10Mbps with 300 GB of usage at $69.95 will become 60/10Mbps with 400 GB of usage at $69.95.

Okay then, thanks for more free bandwidth

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

ArcaneMan fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 15, 2017

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm still hanging on to my grandfathered 45/4 & 350gb cap plan from start.ca. This is because everyone decided 300gb was enough and the huge gap between 30 mbit and 60 mbit. May have to consider switching now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just settled into my new condo with Bell Fibe 25 and spent like half an hour looking up how to connect PPPoE through FTTH with my own router and then also splicing CAT5 in the cabinet so all the pre-wired sockets are actually connected to the router. Sheesh, they don't try to be helpful at all. "We have to charge you more to wire any more than two sockets."

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eej posted:

Just settled into my new condo with Bell Fibe 25 and spent like half an hour looking up how to connect PPPoE through FTTH with my own router and then also splicing CAT5 in the cabinet so all the pre-wired sockets are actually connected to the router. Sheesh, they don't try to be helpful at all. "We have to charge you more to wire any more than two sockets."

Splice CAT5??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mewse posted:

Splice CAT5??

Terminate

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It was the only thing I had I thought this was a network cabling safe space.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, The Interview is already on Netflix :stare:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

slidebite posted:

Not like it was a theater blockbuster.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Not worth my precious bandwidth :colbert:

Gotta only watch the good poo poo before I hit the cap :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

wargames posted:

Not like it was a theater blockbuster.
Well yeah, but it was less than a month ago with the whole NK thing. I guess Sony isn't even going to bother with a main stream release at this point but I had no idea they were kicking out like this.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

Actually, it might. I asked Teksavvy about upgrading my package, and because of the particular package I had chosen (and also because of the existing dry loop set up) they advised me that a tech would have to come by and do a few things. It's best to talk to Teksavvy Sales and clarify this before you decide on a new package. I was surprised that this was the case, but there you go.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

melon cat posted:

Actually, it might. I asked Teksavvy about upgrading my package, and because of the particular package I had chosen (and also because of the existing dry loop set up) they advised me that a tech would have to come by and do a few things. It's best to talk to Teksavvy Sales and clarify this before you decide on a new package. I was surprised that this was the case, but there you go.

For DSL, If you're going from ADSL (6Mbps to 15/1Mbps) to VDSL (25/10 or 50/10), and or moving the service to a dry loop, you will need someone at your house yes. Within the same technology it's just a profile change (depending on your area, MAYBE roll a truck to jam you in to a new port, but nothing at your house).

For Cable, if your modem is still certified for the plan you want to go to, it is a profile change.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 26, 2015

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Migishu posted:

Just go this e-mail from TekSavvy

Some downright bs but nothing they can do really
I apparently missed this email the first time so I searched my inbox and

quote:

We are writing to inform you about changes to your Internet access service. Starting with your first billing cycle following February 15, 2015, your current package for OID###### of 30/2Mbps with 300 GB of usage at $72.95 will become 30/10Mbps with 400 GB of usage at $57.95.
uh I ain't complaining.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Work covers my internet bill anyway but it's still major bs that they're being screwed like that. Grats on getting a free upgrade though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Wish I got a service upgrade. All I got was more cap, which is worthless.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I got a $1.50/mo increase on phone service, no change to internet (25/10 VDSL).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh my god this Rogers PSA, where they list off everything they've ~done for Canada~ and then end it with "At times, we've make mistakes. But that only makes us work harder to be better tomorrow." *mosaic of happy white people comes together to make the Rogers logo.*

edit: found it. http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7EbN/rogers-the-best-is-yet-to-come

edit 2: Ted Rogers has been dead for 5 years when they use his signature in "the best is yet to come."

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 30, 2015

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
We're only getting started with our deployments, but if you live or know of anyone who lives in Windsor:

http://www.fibre.mnsi.net/plans

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
How is FTTP viable at $60 a month? Your ROI must be ridiculous.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Nitr0 posted:

How is FTTP viable at $60 a month? Your ROI must be ridiculous.

I think most of our customers so far have gone with packages in the $85-$125 range. All the residential stuff we do is GPON, so the ROI is not too bad (from what I understand). We also do some dedicated circuits and LAN extensions so we make up for it there.

Before we got into the fibre game we did (and still do) Bell AGAS and UNE DSL loops with our own DSLAM shelves.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Heh, Windsor.
The new mayor of Kitchener had as a campaign promise fibre in Kitchener (google or city owned). We all know what happens with campaign promises, though he still has time if he really wants to :)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Volguus posted:

Heh, Windsor.
The new mayor of Kitchener had as a campaign promise fibre in Kitchener (google or city owned). We all know what happens with campaign promises, though he still has time if he really wants to :)

If the mayor of a city wants to do it. Its quite easy to setup a municipal fiber company and do it within a term.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Volguus posted:

Heh, Windsor.

The Google Fibre team is actually located in Kitchener and they've talked with the city before about it. The biggest obstacle is the CRTC from what they've told me (at open session on Google Fibre).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

The Google Fibre team is actually located in Kitchener and they've talked with the city before about it. The biggest obstacle is the CRTC from what they've told me (at open session on Google Fibre).

That google team has been in Kitchener for quite a while (few years at least). I would be curious to hear what would CRTC have to say against it though. Aren't there any other city-owned fibre in Canada?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Volguus posted:

That google team has been in Kitchener for quite a while (few years at least). I would be curious to hear what would CRTC have to say against it though. Aren't there any other city-owned fibre in Canada?

The only one I know of is in Olds, AB. It was community funded by the Olds Institute and then a separate for profit company was founded to sell services.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Volguus posted:

Yes there are a few like Port Coquitlam.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
That's owned by Telus, not Poco. Poco basically begged telus to come in and do fiber. It has no ownership with the town at all.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Volguus posted:

Yes, and the CRTC wasn't even remotely an obstacle to them. At worst they had to file some minor paperwork. The remanining foreign ownership restrictions in the Telecom Act might block a Google-owned deployment though (unless it stayed under 10% market share but I doubt Google wants to bother dancing around that, which might be what their engineer was referring to).

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Well I'm finally going to switch from the garbage Shaw network over to the Telus FTTN network. Tired of not being able to stream in HD at peak hours.

I made a nice spreadsheet, and assuming I use the service for 2 years, the monthly cost including install fees, modem purchases, 6 month discounts, etc is:
Telus 50/10/400 - 74
Start 50/10/300 - 67
Teksavvy 25/5/300 - 66
Telus - 25/5/250 - 60
Start - 25/5/300 - 57

Anyone know anything about Start in Vancouver? Strathcona in particular? Should I pay the extra few dollars to just go with Telus to eliminate the middle man and possibly have faster resolution to any technical issues? I just want to not have to think about my internet any more.

edit: I mean I know Start has a good reputation nationwide, but some times I read things like "Because P installed X in Y location, Z doesn't require them to do W, so getting service from U isn't a good idea unless you're in V"

Kreez fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 1, 2015

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Kreez posted:

Well I'm finally going to switch from the garbage Shaw network over to the Telus FTTN network. Tired of not being able to stream in HD at peak hours.

I made a nice spreadsheet, and assuming I use the service for 2 years, the monthly cost including install fees, modem purchases, 6 month discounts, etc is:
Telus 50/10/400 - 74
Start 50/10/300 - 67
Teksavvy 25/5/300 - 66
Telus - 25/5/250 - 60
Start - 25/5/300 - 57

Anyone know anything about Start in Vancouver? Strathcona in particular? Should I pay the extra few dollars to just go with Telus to eliminate the middle man and possibly have faster resolution to any technical issues? I just want to not have to think about my internet any more.

edit: I mean I know Start has a good reputation nationwide, but some times I read things like "Because P installed X in Y location, Z doesn't require them to do W, so getting service from U isn't a good idea unless you're in V"

How you could be having problems with the shaw network? its the most reliable/fastest home network in the lower mainland.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but my speeds for down to 6-8Mbit/s from 4pm onwards, and this seems to be accepted as a normal part of dealing with Shaw in older neighbourhoods.

I also have this dumb intermittent issue involving 2 minute windows of 99% packet loss a couple times a day. I read a forum thread where someone elsewhere in the city had the same problem and it never got solved. The guy was installing custom diagnostics programs on his computer, shoving multimeters in the box in his back yard, and in the end he just gave up, nobody could figure out what was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Kreez posted:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but my speeds for down to 6-8Mbit/s from 4pm onwards, and this seems to be accepted as a normal part of dealing with Shaw in older neighbourhoods.

I also have this dumb intermittent issue involving 2 minute windows of 99% packet loss a couple times a day. I read a forum thread where someone elsewhere in the city had the same problem and it never got solved. The guy was installing custom diagnostics programs on his computer, shoving multimeters in the box in his back yard, and in the end he just gave up, nobody could figure out what was happening.

Sounds like bad wiring from either inside your house or to the road junction box. Or the circuit is so overloaded that there just isnt enough spare bandwidth but that is not the normal experience for shaw across most of the lower mainland from the 5 or 6 locations i've had it installed and used it.