Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
One of the most reliable markets is HQ 1-49 crafting and gathering gear, right? People trying to follow leve-grinding guides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I wonder if SpaceDrake would blow a blood vessel if I sent him that quote/post.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
I am highly considering resubbing to FFXIV but with this annoying lack of time the joys of work have left me with im wondering if ill get anything resembling satisfaction from the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

pksage posted:

One of the most reliable markets is HQ 1-49 crafting and gathering gear, right? People trying to follow leve-grinding guides?

It's a reliable enough market that I've seen people selling entire package sets of leve turn-in items and starter level 50 crafting gear.

But yes, there's a big market for starry-eyed wannabe crafters. Even if you're a starry-eyed wannabe crafter yourself, you can still make money by selling to the guys coming up behind you.

Personally I much prefer being starry-eyed and wannabe (with limits) in my own crafting. I don't have the energy to put into being a proper tryhard.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

So do you just wear a lot of high level gear and go to Urths Fount or whatever its called?

What I do is I make a set i70 healing gear, meld one cheap materia to each piece, and run Halatali HM 3 times. That's enough to fully bond the set, and each piece has a really good chance of converting to grade 4 materia. It only takes one Crit4 or Det4 for me to break even on the production cost, and I usually get at least two. The other materia will sell decently as well.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

DerVerrater posted:

I am highly considering resubbing to FFXIV but with this annoying lack of time the joys of work have left me with im wondering if ill get anything resembling satisfaction from the game.

I play for maybe an hour every other day during the work week, and then three or four over the weekend. I've been really enjoying it even with smallish chunks of play, and you get exp bonuses for leaving your character in towns as a kind of reward for logging off.

I'd say that the only occasion where lack of large amounts of free time is going to bite you is if you get to end game raiding and want to join a static group. Other than that, this is a pretty good game to just pick up and play whenever.

Edit: I should clarify that the exp bonus is in the form of a multiplier. You don't just get exp for sitting in towns.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Give me all of your other profitable market niches. I'm on Adamantoise, so I can't crash your Excalibur prices! :eng101:

Are any of the intermediate crafted items (lumber, ingots, etc.) ever worth just buying out a bunch of logs/ore and going nuts?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pksage posted:

Are any of the intermediate crafted items (lumber, ingots, etc.) ever worth just buying out a bunch of logs/ore and going nuts?
That seems like something that should be really easy to determine just by looking at the market board, and a low risk opportunity if it turns out you read the market wrong. Commodities are always a good option to scrape up cash since even when you get screwed over you're rarely trapped. It definitely sounds like where I would start looking.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I feel like I have a good basis to jump into that stuff when I get around to it. Also I found out about the Grand Company experience booster consumables for Land/Hand while I was poking around, so I'm glad I waited until I had access to those before doing much.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

pksage posted:

Give me all of your other profitable market niches. I'm on Adamantoise, so I can't crash your Excalibur prices! :eng101:

On Excalibur, when shard costs are added into the equation, it's actually cheaper to buy lumber than logs. Ingots sell for a little more.

On the note of Excalibur markets, someone screwed up the Savage Aim II market last weekend and they're now at 40-50k per. It's kinda annoying.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Samba De Amigo posted:

"i just know some words, from watching anime :)"

That was all I needed to close the thread.

I am sitting here crying tears of blood fwiw

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SpaceDrake posted:

I am sitting here crying tears of blood fwiw

Called it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

On Excalibur, when shard costs are added into the equation, it's actually cheaper to buy lumber than logs. Ingots sell for a little more.
Quite a lot of lumber/ingots are available from vendors anyways for less.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

What I do is I make a set i70 healing gear, meld one cheap materia to each piece, and run Halatali HM 3 times. That's enough to fully bond the set, and each piece has a really good chance of converting to grade 4 materia. It only takes one Crit4 or Det4 for me to break even on the production cost, and I usually get at least two. The other materia will sell decently as well.

I'd consider doing this but then I'd have to put in additional time building the gigantic piles of potash or coke or whatever I'd need to churn out suits of i70 gear. Then again the payout would probably be more consistent than dumping all my seals into venture coins.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I'd consider doing this but then I'd have to put in additional time building the gigantic piles of potash or coke or whatever I'd need to churn out suits of i70 gear. Then again the payout would probably be more consistent than dumping all my seals into venture coins.

It's cheaper to buy NQ 2* crafting mats than it is to make them. (This is of course assuming you can HQ 2* stuff with a couple of NQ mats in the first place. HQ 2* mats are obviously ludicrously expensive (Hard Hippogryph Leather excepted, for some reason), but you don't really need them unless you're right on the borderline.)

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 15, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Algid posted:

Quite a lot of lumber/ingots are available from vendors anyways for less.

Yes, always check xivdb.com to see if there's a vendor source for your sub-50 crafting ingredients, and how much that vendor source charges, and compare it to the market boards. Valuable places to look:

- The eight guild vendors
- The general trade material vendors in each city's market area (pretty sure these each have the same stuff as each other)
- The material vendor that you can/should stick in an FC or personal house (must be a member of that FC, or the house owner, to use this one though)
- The material vendor in the central shopping area of the housing wards (aka the person you buy krakka root seeds from)
- The five beast tribe vendors, with the obvious secondary note that their wares expand as you rank up with them

Note, however, that if someone wants to do a synth using, say, 1 or 2 items and doesn't want a massive quantity, they'll be willing to pay a minor markup to buy 1 or 2 on the boards instead of the gil and time it costs to march out to one or another beast tribe and buy it from them.

Also in general, it's a good idea to sell things in sensible quantities. Market history tends to provide a better indicator of how many of a given item people typically buy at a time. (Not to mention what it actually sells for. The stuff up for sale at any given time might just be the hideously overpriced stuff that nobody actually buys - it pays to double-check.) Plan your per-item pricing around things that are selling or have sold in comparable quantities. If it's something that people will often want just one or two of, you'll be able to charge a little more per item by selling in 1s and 2s rather than selling it 40 at a time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Doublestep posted:

Impurities had to be removed from the gold ore of Gumdrop before it could be made an ingot

Necroquoting to say there'd be no ingot if you removed all the impurities doublestep

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It's cheaper to buy NQ 2* crafting mats than it is to make them. (This is of course assuming you can HQ 2* stuff with a couple of NQ mats in the first place. HQ 2* mats are obviously ludicrously expensive (Hard Hippogryph Leather excepted, for some reason), but you don't really need them unless you're right on the borderline.)
They're products of blowing up a lot of shoes for FC IIIs.

I don't know much about SBing, but I would think it would be cheaper to craft up a set of i90 rather than a set of i70. Adjust dungeons appropriately and it should bind just as fast.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

HQ 2* mats are obviously ludicrously expensive (Hard Hippogryph Leather excepted, for some reason), but you don't really need them unless you're right on the borderline.)

The reason for Hard Hippogryph Leather's relative cheapness is that far and away the primary source of Fieldcraft 3 demimateria, is desynthing the NPC-buyable (for 6k, I think) best man/bridesmaid feet. And given the large market for FC3s, lots and lots and lots of those feet are desynthed on a regular basis.

When these don't turn into FC3s, one of the things they can turn into, is Hard Hippogryph Leather. Hence the price tag.

Some enterprising soul could possibly do the math out and see if it's worth doing the 12k desynth of the legs, given prices of FC3s as well as the (much more expensive than Hard Hippogryph Leather) Vanya Silk that you could get from those instead.

e:f;b

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Same thing happens with Rose Gold Ingots, since everyone desynths glasses as well.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Are the ilvl 70 items the best items to spirit bond. I see people saying to meld a materia into them first, whats the benefit of that?

I also see people in insanely good gear greeding crappier items, like Hoplite and that tier sets. Is there a reason? Generally I figure people grab them for alts, but if someones in full final coil gear they must have better alternatives.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's seals and/or desynth, either of which is money. You can even vendor it if you want.

Why wouldn't you roll on that stuff?

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q
Materia has an innate +spiritbond rate stat. People grab greens for seals.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Are the ilvl 70 items the best items to spirit bond. I see people saying to meld a materia into them first, whats the benefit of that?

I also see people in insanely good gear greeding crappier items, like Hoplite and that tier sets. Is there a reason? Generally I figure people grab them for alts, but if someones in full final coil gear they must have better alternatives.

SB rate is increased by gear being melded, and by it being HQ.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Seals and Desynth.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Usually those people are doing it for seals, desynth, or selling. Though, at least in my case, I'll pass for people who look like they actually need the gear, if they ask for it.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.

e:
realistic depiction of what happens every time you pet a lalafell in the top right corner
don't tell anyone tho

big sperma shot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 16, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mostly seals is my guess, although especially in the case of accessories desynth is also a thing.

Seals turn into ventures, philosophy and mythology mats, bombard cores for people working on zodiac upgrade, and a few less commonly desirable things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Exponential Decay posted:

Materia has an innate +spiritbond rate stat. People grab greens for seals.

It's about a 20% increased rate per materia melded, completely regardless of the grade and type of materia, so that's pretty significant. The item being HQ is another 20%. And on that note, if you're spiritbonding for cash, DO NOT USE SPIRITBONDING POTIONS, AETHERYTE RINGS, OR METEOR SURVIVOR RINGS. Anything that says "+X Spiritbond Rate" only increases the rate by X%, so an aetheryte ring only speeds up the process by 1%! That is absolutely not worth the ring slot. You could make the argument for spiritbonding potions, but there's a million better things to spend your GC seals on.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
PBC currently has no room for new people, since there's nobody who qualifies to be kicked out for inactivity at this time.

However, in preparation for 2.5, I'm going to kick out everybody who's been inactive for more than 30 days as of Sunday night. If you're currently in PBC, have been inactive for over a month but are planning to come back for 2.5, you have until Sunday afternoon to log in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vil posted:

and starter level 50 crafting gear.

Just a heads up, other people think this too. A week or so ago I was browsing what crafter AF market was dead to use up my non HQ twinthread and saw that the carpenter's shirt was pretty dead. There was only 1 HQ shirt listed at 60k, I saw in the history people were buying them at 40k. So I made an HQ one and listed it for 40k at the end of Sunday night. Like 2 days later loving 10 other people make HQ carpenter's shirts and crash the price to around 20k. I decided gently caress that and gently caress them, and listed it to the price of the highest NQ guy at 18k... just for that fucker to lower HIS price.

So I undercut his undercut by 5k and got my drat gil, gently caress the market death to capitalism.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The Chairman posted:

PBC currently has no room for new people, since there's nobody who qualifies to be kicked out for inactivity at this time.

However, in preparation for 2.5, I'm going to kick out everybody who's been inactive for more than 30 days as of Sunday night. If you're currently in PBC, have been inactive for over a month but are planning to come back for 2.5, you have until Sunday afternoon to log in.

We are legitimately going to need a third FC at this rate because a little part of me suspects there won't be many kicks in this round. Absolute madness.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

According to the dev tracker, you can now buy crysta (pay for sub/buy extra items and services) with paypal. Go hog wild!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
about time

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I'll be applying for PBC when Excalibur is actually open (and there is room for new people). Is there any chance of it opening tonight, or would I have better luck in the wee hours of the morning?

Edit: Thanks for the responses, figured as much.

Dradien fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tonight as in prime time hours? Very unrealistic.

Basically think of when people are least likely to be playing, and try then. Server open/close is based on however many people happen to be logged on at that moment.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
can you dual wield weapons as a rogue from level 1?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dradien posted:

I'll be applying for PBC when Excalibur is actually open (and there is room for new people). Is there any chance of it opening tonight, or would I have better luck in the wee hours of the morning?

I created my new character on Excalibur this morning at 5:30 AM EST. Just as an example.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

tvayisnihyaami posted:

No, dude. You have to throw stones for, like, two hours until you build up the JP to unlock dual wield. Ninjas do become a much better tank after you've put in that time investment though.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

tvayisnihyaami posted:

It's purely cosmetic. Just like pug/mnk fist weapons come in a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Don't respond to tvayisnihyaami and definitely don't serious post respond to him.

• Locked thread