Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for the toon link advice yesterday, I stopped going for the fsmash or back throw so much for kills and worked on doing more aerials and it worked pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Falco prefers the air in this one, moreso than his mammalian friend.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Alright recently I got hacked my email address I use to subscribe to gaming. A Rosalina Fan Support Group hacked me and told me what they wanted from me so they gave back my email. If I don't do what they said they will take back my email. I now have to be a member of the Rosalina Fan Movement and also make a video.

The whole summary of it can be shown in the comments section of this video. However, this doesn't mean you can draw anymore fanart with me or ship me with Rosalina. I am tired of that poo poo and I saw the Pootytanga and Peach poo poo fanart of me and it makes me pissed. I don't want to be any fanart with these loving hentai poo poo.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think it's messed up that mario & luigi aren't the highest jumpers in this game

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I think it's messed up that they don't instantly kill opponents by footstooling them like they did in Brawl Minus. They have thirty years of experience jumping on goombas, you'd think getting stomped on by them would be more devastating than it is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

I think it's messed up that they don't instantly kill opponents by footstooling them like they did in Brawl Minus. They have thirty years of experience jumping on goombas, you'd think getting stomped on by them would be more devastating than it is.

It's hosed up that Shulk's sword doesn't make Kirby's arm unusable after he copies it

E: also something about eating souls, idk

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I still think Wario should be able to eat Luma and Pikmin.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Charizard should resist Mario's fireballs, and Robin's neutral B should heal Pikachu, in my unbiased opinion.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Reiley posted:

Charizard should resist Mario's fireballs, and Robin's neutral B should heal Pikachu, in my unbiased opinion.

But only if you use Pikachu's hidden custom that makes his ability Lightningrod.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's hosed up that Shulk's sword doesn't make Kirby's arm unusable after he copies it

E: also something about eating souls, idk

It's hosed up that the Monado can hurt people in this game. Any attack that involves his sword should straight up not work against Mario, Peach, Captain Falcon, etc. On the flipside it should do double damage to Samus and ROB.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It doesn't hurt them, it displaces them. :v:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

It's hosed up that the Monado can hurt people in this game. Any attack that involves his sword should straight up not work against Mario, Peach, Captain Falcon, etc. On the flipside it should do double damage to Samus and ROB.

iirc the lock on the monado only makes it unable to hurt homs born from the bionis, not humans in general. so really shulk vs shulk should just be nothing but the first two hits of his jab and his pummel

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

for that matter why doesn't marth's sword kill anyone he stabs

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm beginning to think this game doesn't make any sense at all

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Master hand blesses every fighter before they are brought into the world of smash so that their bodies are not actually at any risk of being mortally harmed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

for that matter why doesn't marth's sword kill anyone

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If Kirby swallows you, that's it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Super lethal, low-% stamina matches are actually pretty fun

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Luigi is the most beautiful out of the entire cast. That's as much realism as Smash Bros. needs.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What is the character to pick if you don't have enough time or skill to get good at the game, but want people to think you're cool or at least be amused rather than annoyed at you?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Ganondorf.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
or DK

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maple Leaf posted:

If one of the Bros. stomped on a Smasher the way they used to stomp on goombas they would fire the brains out the bottom of his or her rear end. They know it is just a friendly exhibition match, they're not out for blood.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Smashing Link posted:

What is the character to pick if you don't have enough time or skill to get good at the game, but want people to think you're cool or at least be amused rather than annoyed at you?

Wario.

Bike everywhere. Then eat the bike. Then fart.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

pick your favorite nintendo and don't care what other people think

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash is a game about following your heart and being true to others. If you believe in your chosen Bro, you will inspire them to great deeds.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

pick your favorite nintendo and don't care what other people think

Reiley posted:

Smash is a game about following your heart and being true to others. If you believe in your chosen Bro, you will inspire them to great deeds.

this

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Strong Smash characters. Weak Smash characters. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Smash Bros players should try to win with their favorites.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'm not a selfish monster so i only play what other people want me to play to promote social harmony

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just play as rob because he's the best

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What factors determine if a move will kill? How come sometimes it feels like I can't knock someone off even at 150+ and other times I'll get a kill off a standard move when they're at like 85?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

prom candy posted:

What factors determine if a move will kill? How come sometimes it feels like I can't knock someone off even at 150+ and other times I'll get a kill off a standard move when they're at like 85?

Different moves have different knockback forces, and there's a thing called Stale Move Negation (http://www.ssbwiki.com/Stale-move_negation) that makes moves have less power the more often and the more recently you use them. If it's a horizontal move there's also the matter of where you are on the stage- a fresh forward smash can kill going outward from the edge of the stage, but switch places with the other guy and you're launching across the whole rest of the stage to reach the blast zone, and it isn't likely to reach.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So in the case of something like toon links back throw I shouldn't start using it until I think it could kill so it doesn't get negated?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

prom candy posted:

So in the case of something like toon links back throw I shouldn't start using it until I think it could kill so it doesn't get negated?

That and jab them a bunch before you do - jabbing replaces moves in the queue the game uses to determine whether the move is stale

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

As do pummels. Every pummel counts for one refresh, making them hugely useful even if they don't do much damage.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

prom candy posted:

I think throws are exempt from stale move negation, actually! Some characters have particularly strong throws, like Ness, Villager and Sonic's back throws. I'm not sure about Toon Link's. There are cases where if you're playing on a walkoff stage (one with no side pits, like Flat Zone) it's much easier to backthrow someone into the blast zone than it would be on something like an Omega stage.

e: I might be wrong about throws going stale??? I know the pummels don't stale, or the damage from the throw itself, I don't know about the distance.

Maple Leaf posted:

As do pummels. Every pummel counts for one refresh, making them hugely useful even if they don't do much damage.
Pikachu's forward throw hits all count as individual refreshes, so a grab, two pummels and a forward throw pushes seven attacks out of the stale move queue. It's not as useful a throw as back throw is but it's great for keeping smashes fresh.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 16, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Throws definitely stale

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Reiley posted:

That's good because I main as Wii Fit Trainer.

My NNID is Dinosaurs, can that get added to the OP.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Marth seems waaaay goddamn harder to use in this one. The short hop crap that used to define him seems pretty close to useless now, and he's got no new tools to compensate. I guess you need to play him much more conservatively now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Whatev posted:

Marth seems waaaay goddamn harder to use in this one. The short hop crap that used to define him seems pretty close to useless now, and he's got no new tools to compensate. I guess you need to play him much more conservatively now?

Marth and Lucina are not good

I am sorry

• Locked thread