Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Doesn't NAS Pensacola still have their hobby shop open? That's why they won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

Doesn't NAS Pensacola still have their hobby shop open? That's why they won.

Uhhh no I'm pretty sure that poo poo's been gone for years.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

It's on Corry

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Laranzu posted:

It's on Corry

See, and that's why they won.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Dropping a conversion packet for CTN this week because arabic and I haven't gotten along three DLPTs in a row

"hurr durrr but they dont want e5s we want e4s good luck getting approval"

gently caress you all i'll just go con. also I got stranded on Ft Meade because of the icerain-pocalypse monday morning and had to sit in the drat NIOC lounge for three hours. how many people do you guys put on watch at once god drat

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

It's on Corry

Wait were is it? Going to explore the rec center after stuffing my face.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

Dropping a conversion packet for CTN this week because arabic and I haven't gotten along three DLPTs in a row

gently caress you all i'll just go con. also I got stranded on Ft Meade because of the icerain-pocalypse monday morning and had to sit in the drat NIOC lounge for three hours. how many people do you guys put on watch at once god drat

Ha! Duty sections are done! Now all the suckers in N5 holding man the watch and there are like 200 of them. There should be an OOD a JOOD and a day day driver on the quarterdeck. During fpcon bravo I think they add another JOOD just to gently caress with people. Anyways, yes, come join us. The grass is greener I promise!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Go to the bowling alley and take a picture of the deck out back. I was on the working party that built it and I want to see if our monstrosity managed to hold up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MancXVI posted:

Go to the bowling alley and take a picture of the deck out back. I was on the working party that built it and I want to see if our monstrosity managed to hold up.

I'll do it but if this is a trap and you just sent me to the gay hook up spot and I get raped by a marine I'll kinda mad.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll do it but if this is a trap and you just sent me to the gay hook up spot and I get raped by a marine I'll kinda mad.

its not rape it's morale building

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Up front by the weird marine mcmap ball pit and the restricted barracks. Facing the main gate look left. enjoy cheap car work.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Analogical posted:

E5s get in all the time. poo poo we have navy Chiefs and army warrants going to school here.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
V-22 Osprey picked to be the next COD

Interesting news. For years now it's basically been a question of whether they would make a new C-2B, or go with Ospreys, so it's nice that they've finally made a decision. They've got fairly similar capabilities, with the Osprey's lesser range probably being the biggest difference. And at least they're going with an existing airframe rather than the C-3 Frankenviking proposal.

It should be interesting to see how they integrate it; right now Greyhounds and Hawkeyes all share a type wing and training pipeline, and there's a lot of parts/maintenance commonality. That means that an air wing's Hawkeye squadron can help support Greyhounds on the carrier, though Greyhounds do embark a small maintenance det as well, and spare parts are a lot easier to get. With a V-22, they'll be on their own. The big question in the VRC/VAW community now is whether they'll roll V-22's in with us, or set up a separate COD wing and eventually revert the Hawkeye/Greyound wing back to Hawkeye only.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
rip everyones bodybuilding.com packages

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
I can't believe there isn't a F-35 COD version.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Need an AC-22 version.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

justice4trayvawn posted:

rip everyones bodybuilding.com packages

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
tl;dr: Paging dustynuts

I can never remember this poo poo when I'm PCSing so a few questions, sorry for actual Navy talk:

1) When PCSing, what percentage of advance DLA, per diem, and mileage do you receive?

2) My orders have me going to my next command for a week then to a school for 15 days and then final stop at my gaining command. Will admin at my next command arrange travel for me or do I need to do it myself (yes, I've asked them and I'm waiting for an answer but I want to know the right answer. I've been hosed on this one before)?

I'm going through dig in the JTR but that is painful to put it mildly.

e: If you take less than the authorized time to complete your travel do you still get reimbursed for the entire authorized time?

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 14, 2015

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

vulturesrow posted:

e: If you take less than the authorized time to complete your travel do you still get reimbursed for the entire authorized time?

Don't check in until you're *supposed* to arrive is what I've always done.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

tl;dr: Paging dustynuts

I can never remember this poo poo when I'm PCSing so a few questions, sorry for actual Navy talk:

1) When PCSing, what percentage of advance DLA, per diem, and mileage do you receive?

2) My orders have me going to my next command for a week then to a school for 15 days and then final stop at my gaining command. Will admin at my next command arrange travel for me or do I need to do it myself (yes, I've asked them and I'm waiting for an answer but I want to know the right answer. I've been hosed on this one before)?

I'm going through dig in the JTR but that is painful to put it mildly.

Short answer regarding your last questionr: no. If you're alloted X days of travel/proceed between two duty stations, you get reimbursed from check-out day X to check-in day Y regardless of what the max authorized time is.

I can't answer the first question, though, I've never been advanced per diem/DLA before I've always just gotten it in one hit on the back-end.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

Short answer regarding your last questionr: no. If you're alloted X days of travel/proceed between two duty stations, you get reimbursed from check-out day X to check-in day Y regardless of what the max authorized time is.

I can't answer the first question, though, I've never been advanced per diem/DLA before I've always just gotten it in one hit on the back-end.

Yeah I dug through the JTR and you are right. Also according to the JTR all PCS related advances are paid 100% off the estimate.

#2 is the one I'm really hoping Dusty knows the answer to.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 15, 2015

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I dug through the JTR and you are right. Also according to the JTR all PCS related advances are paid 100% off the estimate.

#2 is the one I'm really hoping Dusty knows the answer to.

Yea. The JFTR is no bullshit. Both volumes together are like 2,000+ pages or some poo poo, it sucks trying to get a straight answer out of it too because there are so many one-off scenarios and exceptions.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Welp another chief exam down, let's hope I make board so they don't talk to me.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Looking in from the outside I love poo poo like this: Every 2 weeks on Wednesday and Thursday the Navy kids here will all return from lunch in PT gear and after class go right to weigh in one day, and mock PRT the next. I imagine this is some kind of overreaction to people failing the PRT at their gaining commands but it seems hilariously excessive. Implement a solid group and individual PT plan? Nah let's just do endless mock tests and punish people when they fail.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Heyo. It should be 80% of the total advanced to you. Your previous PSD/Admin can arrange travel for you (and should have before you left...), someone needs to submit a PRR to NAVPTO on your behalf. Yes, your next Admin office could do this, but time may be tight. You'll need to get up in that rear end to make sure it gets sent up through TOPS, once it does you can hound NAVPTO then SATO for your tickets.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DustyNuts posted:

Heyo. It should be 80% of the total advanced to you. Your previous PSD/Admin can arrange travel for you (and should have before you left...), someone needs to submit a PRR to NAVPTO on your behalf. Yes, your next Admin office could do this, but time may be tight. You'll need to get up in that rear end to make sure it gets sent up through TOPS, once it does you can hound NAVPTO then SATO for your tickets.

Thanks. Something I read in the JTR yesterday led me to believe that any PCS related funds (so not the TDY piece) would be advanced 100%. That's not the important piece though; I was more concerned about the intermediate TDY.
I haven't PCSed yet so I'll see what I can push to get done here. Just so I'm clear, my travel office here can (and should) arrange my intermediate TDY travel even though my first stop is at my gaining command?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

They have all of the dates necessary to complete and submit a PRR. No reason why they can't do it for you. They may have SOP that dictates otherwise, but I'd push it anyway, since you're only at your new command for a week before you have to leave.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
What's this I hear about the LCS being rebranded as a frigate?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

CMD598 posted:

What's this I hear about the LCS being rebranded as a frigate?

Source?

Are you taking about the "Future Combatant" concept which they said is going to based on some LCS design?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
"It will still be the same ship, the same program of record, just with an appropriate and traditional name."

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/naval/ships/2015/01/15/lcs-navy-frigate/21801559/

Seqenenra fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 15, 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Seqenenra posted:

"It will still be the same ship, the same program of record, just with an appropriate and traditional name."

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/naval/ships/2015/01/15/lcs-navy-frigate/21801559/

Ah, cool. I actually agree with it. Even when I was in the LCS program I thought it was stupid they weren't called frigates or corvettes.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Ah, cool. I actually agree with it. Even when I was in the LCS program I thought it was stupid they weren't called frigates or corvettes.

And hey, they're just as useless as FFGs to boot....Might as well call it what it is [a missile sponge].

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

And hey, they're just as useless as FFGs to boot....Might as well call it what it is [a missile sponge].

Saying they're useless is a bit of stretch.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Saying they're useless is a bit of stretch.

FFGs or the LCS?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

FFGs or the LCS?

Both?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

orange juche posted:

Yeah the wood Hobby shop is closed down, my Dad a retired HTCS ran it with another guy. It was a good shop and helped a lot of dudes build their shadow boxes. Out of all the Navy towns I've lived in, Pensacola isn't that bad, just stay way from the west side.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

LCS is certainly useless. I guess FFGs could do SQR-19 operations with their legacy green screens. Never mind, both.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Seqenenra posted:

LCS is certainly useless. I guess FFGs could do SQR-19 operations with their legacy green screens. Never mind, both.

The Aussies bought our OHPs and added SM-2 and ESSM capability with VLS systems making them capable and reliable FFGs for a lot less than our LCS crapheaps.

Oh, and the Navy is replacing C-2s with Ospreys.

This loving Pentagon...

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Aussies bought our OHPs and added SM-2 and ESSM capability with VLS systems making them capable and reliable FFGs for a lot less than our LCS crapheaps.

Oh, and the Navy is replacing C-2s with Ospreys.

This loving Pentagon...

The Aussies totally did it right and we could have done it too. We could have done this LCS/FF/whatever thing better. How can you build a ship that big and it can't do anything? One of the other guys in the office said they should just put the carrier's TACAN on it and have it run around to distract the Chinese, I didn't want to point out that it can only run around for a couple of days before it's out of gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TooLShack posted:

Yeah the wood Hobby shop is closed down, my Dad a retired HTCS ran it with another guy. It was a good shop and helped a lot of dudes build their shadow boxes. Out of all the Navy towns I've lived in, Pensacola isn't that bad, just stay way from the west side.

Auto hobby shop is what they were talking about. I wish the wood hobby shops were still around.

• Locked thread