Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just loving lol if you dont get an ettus research box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
utwente is a one-off custom fab and there is no other radio like that on the planet. their ADC is burly as gently caress

I don't even know what to recommend because to me it's either RTL-SDR pocket change goofery, a flexradio (which is a transciever and has lots of extra poo poo for that) or something like a hackRF which is what you're looking for bandwidth-wise, buuuuut they generally don't cover HF like utwente

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.ettus.com/product/details/X310-KIT here u go, dc to 6 GHz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Just put the BMW on Craigslist

jesus

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

note: last i checked, sdr# does not support ettus research boxes

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

utwente is a one-off custom fab and there is no other radio like that on the planet. their ADC is burly as gently caress

I don't even know what to recommend because to me it's either RTL-SDR pocket change goofery, a flexradio (which is a transciever and has lots of extra poo poo for that) or something like a hackRF which is what you're looking for bandwidth-wise, buuuuut they generally don't cover HF like utwente

yeah RTL-SDR is a nice price but doesn't go below 25 MHz which kind of sucks. seems like maybe buying the softrock rx ensemble ii and an rtl-sdr should get you pretty much every drat thing though, for about $100?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
people make upconverters for RTL's, that's not a big problem. They're just poo poo ADCs with low bits and are the equivalent of a $10 tape deck to that Ettus' audiophile setup.

That being said, not many of us have the setup to even start to worry about the bottom half of the dynamic range spectrum. Atmo and citynoise will be >>>> any really faint poo poo for 90% of us

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
listening to some dudes stuck in traffic

they don't like cubans or motorcyclists

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

the way they soldered that bga in version 1 of the hardware is ghetto as gently caress

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wasn't a bga but close enouigh

The current version is much better ofc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

wasn't a bga but close enouigh

The current version is much better ofc

:captainpop:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Doesn't the AFEDRI sdr do a very similar thing to the utwente sdr

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

yeah RTL-SDR is a nice price but doesn't go below 25 MHz which kind of sucks. seems like maybe buying the softrock rx ensemble ii and an rtl-sdr should get you pretty much every drat thing though, for about $100?

the softrock is a nice kit but its receive width is limited because it uses your soundcard as an ADC which means you're limited to 96khz viewable at once at the best case (because lol, 192khz inputs still have rolloff filters). also if you get an rxtx (sup buddy) you'll need another input of some kind to actually use a microphone

one good thing about neil young's audiophile windmill-tilting is that it might encourage people to make more goddamn 192khz audio codecs so you could build something to fill in the middle ground between lovely soundcard sdr and $Texas dedicated quality ADC/DACs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
meh ive always seen the sound card thing as a little hacky give me a real adc imho, its ok i'll pay for it

especially once you get past like the $59 kit tier it just seems kind of bleh

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

meh ive always seen the sound card thing as a little hacky give me a real adc imho, its ok i'll pay for it

yeah, but look at the huge amount of people who got into sdr because you could do interesting things with the rtl-sdr for less than $20

i'm just saying, a way to keep the hobby alive for us young folks is to make ham sdr (both rx and tx) more accessible and cheap

also to somehow integrate hello.jpg into the pcb layout

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
had some real good luck today, our main office was throwing out 80s HP equipment like crazy and I just happened to be there for a meeting/free lunch

scored a broken 32V/11A linear power supply, a HP 5335A univeral counter with two inputs but doesn't look like it has the high frequency prescaler (Also i blew the fuse immediately so i think it's set to 115V AC, gonna have to look in to that)

also three working HP 3456A digital multimeters! full RPN style maths supported, 4-wire resistance, RTD conversion, ratio measurements etc.

two are 60 hz models so i'll have to find the switch to set the power line integration to 1/50 hz, since otherwise they work fine on 230V

in the 6+1/2 digit mode one of them reports my 5V reference as 4.999'85V, and they seem to agree fairly well on this

fake e: already found out how to adjust the line voltage on the counter so just have to find a new fuse and i'm in business!

here's some pictures already:

they had a ton of old rear end flukes with nixie tube displays but no takers, too risky imo

e2: changed the line voltage on the counter and borrowed a fuse from one of the multimeters but still blew instantly, gonna have to pull some covers off tomorrow, and buy some more 6x32mm fuses

e3: hot drat, it's got the OCXO option!

longview fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 15, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ordering cuntloads of parts today. come on shenzhen

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of transistor models or anything so I'm just getting a few here and there to back up 200 3904/3906 pairs, and 30 2n2222a/2907a pairs (the best transistors)

lmao @ diode pricing. 1 for 29 cents, 3 for 79, 20 for 99 and 100 for $1.79

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao @ diode pricing. 1 for 29 cents, 3 for 79, 20 for 99 and 100 for $1.79

presumably 1 is so expensive because some dork in shenzhen has to take a roll of diodes, separate one and bag it, whiel for 100 they just toss the whole roll into the box and call it a day

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

got drat this has *great* resolution compared to my old Leader

not so sure it has the OCXO anymore, the option sticker suggested it did but i can't see it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep.

gonna hit up nightfire kits for a SMT transistor/opamp design kit, I wanna get my surface mount chops up. i will build the tiniest little amplifiers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do you guys see *any* reason to buy lower volt 1n54xx rectfier diodes? i mean 5406's or whatever are like 600v and same exact price as the lower voltage ones

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

longview posted:

had some real good luck today, our main office was throwing out 80s HP equipment like crazy and I just happened to be there for a meeting/free lunch

scored a broken 32V/11A linear power supply, a HP 5335A univeral counter with two inputs but doesn't look like it has the high frequency prescaler (Also i blew the fuse immediately so i think it's set to 115V AC, gonna have to look in to that)

also three working HP 3456A digital multimeters! full RPN style maths supported, 4-wire resistance, RTD conversion, ratio measurements etc.

two are 60 hz models so i'll have to find the switch to set the power line integration to 1/50 hz, since otherwise they work fine on 230V

in the 6+1/2 digit mode one of them reports my 5V reference as 4.999'85V, and they seem to agree fairly well on this

fake e: already found out how to adjust the line voltage on the counter so just have to find a new fuse and i'm in business!

here's some pictures already:

they had a ton of old rear end flukes with nixie tube displays but no takers, too risky imo

e2: changed the line voltage on the counter and borrowed a fuse from one of the multimeters but still blew instantly, gonna have to pull some covers off tomorrow, and buy some more 6x32mm fuses

e3: hot drat, it's got the OCXO option!

even w/ your explanations I still barely know what i'm looking at but stacks of rackmount equipment gets me hard anyway soooooooooooo

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

do you guys see *any* reason to buy lower volt 1n54xx rectfier diodes? i mean 5406's or whatever are like 600v and same exact price as the lower voltage ones

maybe see if they have different capacitance or reverse recovery times? i only have 1000V diodes from that series

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah theyre all identical in all those regards. only PIV is different

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

especially once you get past like the $59 kit tier it just seems kind of bleh

i smell a kickstarter opportunity

unironically

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Bloody posted:

i smell a kickstarter opportunity

unironically

you'd have to hit a really sweet spot in performance/price to get enough customers, though
you'd probably need a multiband multi-watt PA for a TX mode, for instance, if you want to grab hams, and if you just want to rx, there are very few use cases where you'd make something the rtlsdr wasn't "good enough" for that wasn't something a person was being paid to do to the point they could afford a HackRF or BladeRF or USRP or Flex or or or or or

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep there's no market there. That mythical $199 low powered transceiver is meant to chew up kickstarters and poo poo them out. There's not enough profit to make it worth the time, and the price point is too high to revolutionize things. RTLSDR pulled in almost every penny-pincher out there.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
maybe china will eventually make a hf uv-5r. but there won't be nearly the market. supposedly lots of construction/fishermen types use the uv-5r and they dont rly have a use for hf stuff

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
omg my callsign showed up online today

and my name is spelled wrong

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

omg my callsign showed up online today

and my name is spelled wrong

Probably for the better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

maybe china will eventually make a hf uv-5r. but there won't be nearly the market. supposedly lots of construction/fishermen types use the uv-5r and they dont rly have a use for hf stuff

It's coming

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-6-Band-3-15W-HF-TRANSCEIVER-QRP-SSB-CW-Dual-mode-/121514100347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4ace067b

from what i've heard they don't want to spend money on output filtering of their weird SDRs though so theyre having a bitch of a time getting any sort of type acceptance

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

It's coming

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-6-Band-3-15W-HF-TRANSCEIVER-QRP-SSB-CW-Dual-mode-/121514100347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4ace067b

from what i've heard they don't want to spend money on output filtering of their weird SDRs though so theyre having a bitch of a time getting any sort of type acceptance

the chinese love serif typefaces on their labels and it's kind of endearing

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

It's coming

this is cool. Also that qrp kit you posted a page or two ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I92bmGQaPpg

$7.59

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah there used to be a PSK31 transceiver kit on the market like those, they dont make it any more sadly and i wish they did

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so that kit is set up to tx on an extra only freq. in the video he says theres another version that has a diff crystal for that's open to techs. i cant seem to find it tho. i should really get that and learn cw

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQj74Y2H8xQ

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

supposedly lots of construction/fishermen types use the uv-5r

in the us? i didn't think the 5r was type-accepted for that, which is why it's amateur-only

Jonny 290 posted:

It's coming

im the different knob label order from one picture to the next

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Storysmith posted:

in the us? i didn't think the 5r was type-accepted for that, which is why it's amateur-only

im the different knob label order from one picture to the next

no, I meant in Asia where nobody cares about silly things like that.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
is this the way to go re: learning cw?

http://www.g4fon.net/CW%20Trainer.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I wail on http://lcwo.net/ when I get the bug

• Locked thread