Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I've got a friend from Arizona visiting me in Minnesota this weekend. I think we did this wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Winter is when Arizona is at its best.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Winter is when Minnesota is at its worst.

We definitely did this wrong.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

who bought the av

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fall/winter/spring is incredible in FL, and the summers really aren't that bad on the coast.

I made a mistake buying a scooter because now I want a Supermoto even worse now, the weather has been perfect for riding :smith:

Still have a Miata for that too though :unsmith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

who bought the av

I have no way to know for sure but I'm pretty sure I don't need three guesses.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But you're a mod, can't you find out for sure?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

rscott posted:

What? Yes you can. It takes far less labor hours to fix poo poo like that because of useful time saving devices and technological advancement that makes replacing water mains and grading roads and other things way way easier. Like seriously, the entire history of technological advancement thus far has been to do poo poo with less labor time, which either means that the same number of people do the same amount of work in less hours, or less people do the same amount of work with the same amount of hours.

I still disagree. You still need people to go in and hand dig a line out after the labor saving device has excavated the pipe. You can grade a road with one person with a road grader (but road grading was done by a team of horses and 2 people) but I think your views are skilled. Robots can only do so much until human skills take over.

Perfect example is on the railroad. We use remote control locomotives to switch cars with 2 people (2 switchman) on one end of the yard and the other end uses a 3 man crew (1 engineer 2 switchmen), and they consistently out switch the remote control units on a daily basis. So much in fact that right we are so backed up on cars they run both ends of the yard with 3 man crews. But the company keeps throwing money at a failed technology because they are going to make it look good on paper.

Technology is only as good as the person programing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah, the purchasing system has next to fuckall to do with the forums, and mods have no access to it. It would basically take Lowtax sifting through purchase histories to try and figure out who.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But you don't have to pay to change it do you?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

What the ever living gently caress did you do to get that??

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I still disagree. You still need people to go in and hand dig a line out after the labor saving device has excavated the pipe. You can grade a road with one person with a road grader (but road grading was done by a team of horses and 2 people) but I think your views are skilled. Robots can only do so much until human skills take over.

Perfect example is on the railroad. We use remote control locomotives to switch cars with 2 people (2 switchman) on one end of the yard and the other end uses a 3 man crew (1 engineer 2 switchmen), and they consistently out switch the remote control units on a daily basis. So much in fact that right we are so backed up on cars they run both ends of the yard with 3 man crews. But the company keeps throwing money at a failed technology because they are going to make it look good on paper.

Technology is only as good as the person programing it.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. Eliminating human labor entirely is not going to happen until the singularity or w/e but so far in human history technology mainly exists and is developed so that one person can do the work of many others. That is fine when economies are rapidly expanding as during industrialization, but when an economy reaches the point where most people have enough material things to live comfortably and population growth slows down, the increased productivity that technological progress brings simply does not result in as many new jobs being created as ones that are eliminated through increases in efficiency. Ask some greybeard at your work how many people it took to move the same amount of tonnage through the yard 30 or 40 years ago, or how many engineers it took to run a train. Or to run a freight ship, or an airplane, or a ton of other traditionally blue collar jobs. The average American worker is over twice as productive as they were in 1970 but there isn't twice as much poo poo in America as there was 20 years ago.

This isn't inherently a bad thing except when you combine it with the weird flavor of protestant work ethic and fygm mentality that makes up American Exceptionalism. That leads to the imho perverse situation where you have some people working 3 jobs to put food on the table while someone else can't find work at all when there is more than enough work and wealth to go around that most everyone can work a reasonable amount of hours for a comfortable lifestyle which makes everyone happier and better off in the end.

Now cue all the traditional liberal responses about personal responsibility and individualism and the freedom to starve and all that other poo poo :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

Fall/winter/spring is incredible in FL,

Best 4 weeks of the year.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

rscott posted:

I've got a stylesheet that makes everything look like it did before they changed the poo poo last year because I hate change in all forms

It's pretty great: http://the-magi.us/sa.html

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Not with you on the IPA however, that poo poo is horrible.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/05/hoppy_beer_is_awful_or_at_least_its_bitterness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

Cat Terrist posted:

What the ever living gently caress did you do to get that??

Probated Viggen yet again, would be my guess. Seems he's off his meds again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have no way to know for sure but I'm pretty sure I don't need three guesses.

hahahaha. Thats a terrible loving av.

I bet I don't need three guesses either

E:

HotCanadianChick posted:

Bingo.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 16, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rscott posted:

Now cue all the traditional liberal responses about personal responsibility and individualism and the freedom to starve and all that other poo poo :v:

The real issue here is that our economy, our population, hell, our EVERYTHING is predicated on maintaining exponential growth. Which is a no-win game.

Until the last few centuries, that was just how you kept humanity alive. Now? It will be our downfall, if we don't do something about it rather quickly. Note: there is no acceptable, good "something" to do. Eugenics is incredibly morally repulsive, you can see exactly how well "one child" worked out in China, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I honestly had no idea you could buy mods an AV. Suddenly BSS is going to be way more tolerable.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Unfortunately he didn't probate him for near long enough. 50+ posts in 4 hours, none of them with any value. :frogout:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Looks like he gets a little longer than a few hours in kittyjail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah, the purchasing system has next to fuckall to do with the forums, and mods have no access to it. It would basically take Lowtax sifting through purchase histories to try and figure out who.

Is this fact widely known?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

leica posted:

I made a mistake buying a scooter because now I want a Supermoto even worse now, the weather has been perfect for riding :smith:

I miss my Suzuki DRZ-400SM the most, by-far, out of anything I've owned so far, car or otherwise. Eventually I'm going to try my damnedest to find a way to get my '94 Honda CR-250 street legal and/or "street legal" and throw some supermoto wheels and tires on it. That thing would be downright scary on the street. Also, you can get into trouble with a scooter if you try hard enough!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

kastein posted:

The real issue here is that our economy, our population, hell, our EVERYTHING is predicated on maintaining exponential growth. Which is a no-win game.

Until the last few centuries, that was just how you kept humanity alive. Now? It will be our downfall, if we don't do something about it rather quickly. Note: there is no acceptable, good "something" to do. Eugenics is incredibly morally repulsive, you can see exactly how well "one child" worked out in China, etc.

:agreed: but it's like betrand russel said, 'if man were truly rational creatures motivated by self interest, we would all cooperate' but we aren't so we don't

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

I miss my Suzuki DRZ-400SM the most, by-far, out of anything I've owned so far, car or otherwise. Eventually I'm going to try my damnedest to find a way to get my '94 Honda CR-250 street legal and/or "street legal" and throw some supermoto wheels and tires on it. That thing would be downright scary on the street. Also, you can get into trouble with a scooter if you try hard enough!

My dream bike right now is the Yamaha WR250X, I'll have one eventually but they are so rare I'll probably have to go out of state to get one :(

[e] Also yeah, already getting into trouble on the scoot :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
drat it Audi 90, quit tempting me to put the 3Bs turbo on you. I like you stock...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I started playing SimCity4 again but I've been using CATIA so much at work lately that I keep trying to pan and zoom around the map with middle clicks and middle+right clicks and it's not working :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ooooooh, right. That would be counted as mod sass too?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

I honestly had no idea you could buy mods an AV. Suddenly BSS is going to be way more tolerable.

You can buy anyone an av, mod or admin. Whether they hold onto it or not is another question

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

You can buy anyone an av, mod or admin. Whether they hold onto it or not is another question

I have plenty of time and money to waste on this.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I'm making Holdbrooks watch Mean Girls with me. :colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

goatse guy posted:

I'm making Holdbrooks watch Mean Girls with me. :colbert:

You've seen the size of his shoes, right

:quagmire:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What the gently caress is all this?
I don't even know which sub forum I am in any more.

In other news, ran out of fuel, had a long walk to fill up a jerry can. Now the ute has no power, cuts out under load, probably fuel pump dying.
I'll try the main filter first, but the pump has a fine strainer that may be blocked anyway, even if the pump isn't dying.

Procedure to get to fuel pump/strainer in a falcon ute:
Option 1. Put ute on hoist, disconnect prop shaft, handbrake, brakes etc and move rear axle back, remove fuel tank...

Option 2 remove tray liner, remove whole complete tray bed (in my case means canopy too)

Probably going for option 2 I guess as working under a car with no decent driveway is impossible.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 16, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

leica posted:

What up shorts buddy :hfive:

Not with you on the IPA however, that poo poo is horrible.

Well I like ipa, but will admit a lot of them are not that great. Stone however knows what they are doing and this limited edition one is good poo poo. I'm out of it already and have switched to buffalo trace.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fo3 posted:

What the gently caress is all this?
I don't even know which sub forum I am in any more.

The title of the forum contains "insanity", I really don't know why you're surprised that the chat thread is the literal definition of such.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jamal posted:

Well I like ipa, but will admit a lot of them are not that great. Stone however knows what they are doing and this limited edition one is good poo poo. I'm out of it already and have switched to buffalo trace.

Welp you just reminded me I need to stop by the brewery tomorrow and get my growlers filled.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Beach Bum posted:

The title of the forum contains "insanity", I really don't know why you're surprised that the chat thread is the literal definition of such.

I am insane, just not creepy or a sperg (I think?).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, Black Mirror is bleak as gently caress. I sure am looking forward to tomorrow now.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I liked Black Mirror a lot, powered through them pretty quick. I hope they do more.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Jamal, how long are you in town for?
I'm going to be in the Phoenix area tomorrow night getting food and drinks with some car guys if you want to hang out.
This is open to any of you Phoenix area guys as well. Just send me an email at my username at gmail.

rscott posted:

we have a bunch of mazak 5 axis and they are pretty nice, but I don't think the proprietary poo poo is that hard to learn
We won't be able to learn it since we're going to be using the EAI mode since all the programming is done by the "engineers", which sucks.

I might be making some fixtures on it so it'd be nice to know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's amusing that SA is partially funded by anger and hatred.

• Locked thread