Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
June's "dumb" opinions are varied and sincere, and Jason making a joke about jerking off is one very minor part of his take on a given movie. I like both the Flophouse and WHM, but from what I've heard of the former Elliot barely cares about the movie and is just looking for his next opening for a bit, while Stuart and Dan never really say much period, while in the case of the latter everyone's angry about the movie and is going to complain that something a character does isn't what they'd do in that situation, even if it's a crazy sci-fi or fantasy movie. I'm not saying HDTGM is objectively better, but I do think their take on the movie isn't always "THIS MOVIE SUCKS AND IS STUPID" the way it is for so many internet bad movie reviewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I tried to get into Flophouse but the few episodes I listened to it felt like the movie was almost like an inconvenience to the show they were trying to do and they rushed through it and finished talking about it by the half way mark.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 14, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

June's "dumb" opinions are varied and sincere, and Jason making a joke about jerking off is one very minor part of his take on a given movie. I like both the Flophouse and WHM, but from what I've heard of the former Elliot barely cares about the movie and is just looking for his next opening for a bit, while Stuart and Dan never really say much period, while in the case of the latter everyone's angry about the movie and is going to complain that something a character does isn't what they'd do in that situation, even if it's a crazy sci-fi or fantasy movie. I'm not saying HDTGM is objectively better, but I do think their take on the movie isn't always "THIS MOVIE SUCKS AND IS STUPID" the way it is for so many internet bad movie reviewers.

IDK where you're getting that from WHM. They actually recommend movies fairly often, and most of the time they're laughing about ridiculousness rather than getting really pissed. Obviously there are exceptions, but as a general rule.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

IDK where you're getting that from WHM. They actually recommend movies fairly often, and most of the time they're laughing about ridiculousness rather than getting really pissed. Obviously there are exceptions, but as a general rule.

Mostly the situation is when they would kill themselves like in Blame it to Rio.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Beeez posted:

June's "dumb" opinions are varied and sincere

Yes, and it's what occasionally makes episodes magical (Monkey Shines dear lord). But HDTGM is starting to slip into predictability and I wonder how much of that is the stars having less time to devote to it. It's why I tend to enjoy the live episodes more.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I dunno man, I've listened to quite a bit of their output and usually, even if they recommend the movie by the end, they do seem to approach it in a more vitriolic, "internet critic" way most of the time.

bobkatt013 posted:

Mostly the situation is when they would kill themselves like in Blame it to Rio.

Not just that, almost every episode they have a few instances where they either say "You would never do this in X situation!" or "If it's me, I'm doing X". That's more what I was thinking of in my other post.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
To be fair though, usually when they say "If it's me I'm doing x" then it's usually leading to a joke. But they have sincerely recommended a bunch of movies. Hard Target, Hider in the House, I think Buried Alive as well. I'm sure there's a lot more. I think that Hider in the House was quite endearing because they came around to it by the end and legitimately just enjoyed it.

Same with Gymkata, which is a great episode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Which movie was it where they realized toward the end that it was a secret Batman movie?

WHM actually rarely hates a amovie, usually they just point out the silliness and do impressions ranging from bad to magical.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Gyges posted:

Which movie was it where they realized toward the end that it was a secret Batman movie?

Pray for Death. It was magical hearing them slowly realize it was the secret Batman movie they've always wanted :allears:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gyges posted:

Pray for Death, which is great due to the rapidly escalating Ninja meter.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
What about the movie that had a black guy in chains as a running gag? Like Blame it on Rio, I believe it was also classified as "comedy"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

davidHalestorm posted:

What about the movie that had a black guy in chains as a running gag? Like Blame it on Rio, I believe it was also classified as "comedy"

I am pretty sure it was Hamburger: The Motion Picture

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure it was Hamburger: The Motion Picture

It is. He's basically kidnapped and kept as a slave for the whole thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

To be fair though, usually when they say "If it's me I'm doing x" then it's usually leading to a joke. But they have sincerely recommended a bunch of movies. Hard Target, Hider in the House, I think Buried Alive as well. I'm sure there's a lot more. I think that Hider in the House was quite endearing because they came around to it by the end and legitimately just enjoyed it.

Same with Gymkata, which is a great episode.

Also Canvas (really any Busey flick), Invisible Child and a bunch of other "see to believe" recommends. Like, sure they get mad about stuff in the movies, and there are certain episodes where they're like gently caress THIS MOVIE I HATE THIS GODDAMN MOVIE but I'd definitely say they lean more even keeled than your average internet critic.

Admittedly I don't listen to HDTGM because I have an irrational hatred of Paul Scheer so I have no idea how they compare at all. Also bear in mind I've listened to literally every WHM ep so I may have seen more of a gamut than a casual listener.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

weekly font posted:

It's why I tend to enjoy the live episodes more.

Live episodes of HDTGM beat all.

Then it's a toss-up between HDTGM studio episodes and WHM for me. I could never get into Flophouse.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

weekly font posted:

The reason episodes with Steve are better than episodes without Steve is because of Steve, not the presence of Chris. It's a slower paced show without him but it still hits most of the marks.

Yeah, agreed 100%. Andrew and Steve feel like real a comedy team (and the WHM dudes most skilled at improv/impressions) and play off of each other incredibly well. I think Chris only gets poo poo because it's really hard to replicate that kind of chemistry.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I mainly don't like his breathless nerd rage also he's the worst at bad impressions

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

Actually, Andrew/Steve/Chris is the best combo. But I've never been able to make it through a single episode of the Flophouse, so what do I know.

Does anyone listen to Proudly Resents? That show gets some good guests, but the host is so low-key and droning it sounds like he's about to fall asleep.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BulletRiddled posted:

Actually, Andrew/Steve/Chris is the best combo. But I've never been able to make it through a single episode of the Flophouse, so what do I know.

That's the team on The Butterfly Effect episode iirc. That episode is top tier.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

So, I've been trying to get into some of these podcasts, and neither the Flop House nor We Hate Movies have a working RSS feed that goes back to the beginning. Pretty annoying for shows that have more than 100 episodes, but not out of the question for me to work around anyway. Then I find that half the links to early WHM episodes don't even work, and Flophouse's podcasts are in some format called m4a that doesn't seem to actually run on my iPod. These shows are making it a bit tough to enjoy them before I even get to listen.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

bobservo posted:

Yeah, agreed 100%. Andrew and Steve feel like real a comedy team (and the WHM dudes most skilled at improv/impressions) and play off of each other incredibly well. I think Chris only gets poo poo because it's really hard to replicate that kind of chemistry.

Yeah, I know around here Eric is mainly the one singled out, but I actually think Steve is the funniest guy on that show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Midnight Raider posted:

So, I've been trying to get into some of these podcasts, and neither the Flop House nor We Hate Movies have a working RSS feed that goes back to the beginning. Pretty annoying for shows that have more than 100 episodes, but not out of the question for me to work around anyway. Then I find that half the links to early WHM episodes don't even work
did you try to work around this by, say, going to their website yet

http://www.whmpodcast.com/p/episodes.html

also pretty sure the m4a thing is only an issue with older ipods (mine's 5th gen and it plays m4a files fine). if you can't get it to work it's easy to convert them to mp3 with itunes or one of the hundreds of dumb transcoding programs that are out there.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

BulletRiddled posted:

Does anyone listen to Proudly Resents? That show gets some good guests, but the host is so low-key and droning it sounds like he's about to fall asleep.

It's a real shame when the content of the podcast would be really interesting, but the host's delivery is just unlistenable. Not a bad movie podcast, but I listened to one episode of Investigating Film Noir, and while the content was great, the delivery was undynamic, flat and unengaging.

and yeah, don't really like how little of the Flophouse is actually about the movie. I did try with The Flophouse, and I think some of their episodes were very entertaining (oogieloves!) but, again, usually I can think of someone else who did a great review of that film too (alcohollywood did Oogieloves and it was magnificent) - so..it's just not worth it for me.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

did you try to work around this by, say, going to their website yet

Yes, hence why I said the lack of feed was an issue I could get around. The problem was episodes 2, 3, and 7 are broken links, and that never seems to bode well for a show when I like to dig through archives.

And yes, it's an older iPod, and it's fine enough to batch convert with Audacity, but jumping through hoops is just slightly annoying, is all.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've tried listening to the Filmsack podcast a few times and while the hosts seem knowledgeable and engaging, their constant pointing out of "tropes" in the movies they watch followed by a loving siren sound effect each time they do it is just maddening.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Midnight Raider posted:

The problem was episodes 2, 3, and 7 are broken links, and that never seems to bode well for a show when I like to dig through archives.
lol i just checked with downthemall and there's one other broken link but i'm not gonna tell you which one

Also ep 7 works fine.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I just re-listened to the Prey for Death episode of WHM. I like they state almost right at the start that they love that movie. It's straight up 'This movie is awesome'. Also, I wish they would actually drop samples into the episodes again. Sometimes they'll talk about a funny line delivery or something and not drop it in.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Really digging this Demon Month. Dracula's Origin Movie just sounds baffling on every possible level.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ugh, I know I'm probably like WHM's only Romanian background listener or whatever but hearing them compare Vlad to loving Pol Pot and poo poo was legitimately anger causing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Ugh, I know I'm probably like WHM's only Romanian background listener or whatever but hearing them compare Vlad to loving Pol Pot and poo poo was legitimately anger causing.

Yeah, they definitely didn't know the history.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, they definitely didn't know the history.

I also don't know the history. Care to explain?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thrawn527 posted:

I also don't know the history. Care to explain?

Vlad Tepes is a hero of Romania who defended them against slavers and poo poo, and in return because Romania is a scary brownish place he got called a baby eating blood bathing mass murderer. They didn't just make up the innocent Turks wanting to invade or whatever, they constantly were trying to destroy Romania. The main sources for his evil cruel acts has been loving German poo poo that was designed to show how filthy and savage he and by extension his people were. He wasn't a nice guy, but comparing him to Pol Pot and Hitler is downright offensive. It's like being mad Selma doesn't have the second act of him getting drunk and loving whores while beating his wife.

edit: Also that 'child slave army' poo poo from the beginning was a legitimate part of Tepes' childhood among other cruelties by the Turks. Like, the Ottomans were straight up savage to Romania and making it just oh so racist and gross that he doesn't much like Turks in the movie is crazy. He and his brother were both basically political hostages who were trained in warfare and Islam and such, and it's a legitimate actual historic tragedy that he and his brother had such a huge divide because of it. The things they were calling ridiculous are actual recorded history.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 20, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think in America people mainly just think of him as a monstrous historical figure because of the fact that he impaled his enemies and because he was the basis for the vampire. A lot of people don't know about German pamphlets from the 15th and 16th centuries.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Vlad Tepes is a hero of Romania who defended them against slavers and poo poo, and in return because Romania is a scary brownish place he got called a baby eating blood bathing mass murderer. They didn't just make up the innocent Turks wanting to invade or whatever, they constantly were trying to destroy Romania. The main sources for his evil cruel acts has been loving German poo poo that was designed to show how filthy and savage he and by extension his people were. He wasn't a nice guy, but comparing him to Pol Pot and Hitler is downright offensive. It's like being mad Selma doesn't have the second act of him getting drunk and loving whores while beating his wife.

edit: Also that 'child slave army' poo poo from the beginning was a legitimate part of Tepes' childhood among other cruelties by the Turks. Like, the Ottomans were straight up savage to Romania and making it just oh so racist and gross that he doesn't much like Turks in the movie is crazy. He and his brother were both basically political hostages who were trained in warfare and Islam and such, and it's a legitimate actual historic tragedy that he and his brother had such a huge divide because of it. The things they were calling ridiculous are actual recorded history.

I knew none of this and am now glad I do. Thank you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't get mad at the general 'vlad the impaler' mythos things, I get it's a big cultural gap at this point and usually it's pretty clearly meant to be 'no, ok, it's DRACULA not Vlad, see?' so there's a degree of distance despite the roots. Comparing him to Hitler and poo poo was a legit new thing that caught me off guard.

Still despite my bitching, it was a funny episode, just that first little chunk got me all huffy.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I can't believe the makers of Dracula Untold didn't spring for the rights to the Ottoman Empire's name. :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Got tickets to see them in Cambridge. The only downside? I should watch Green Lantern before I go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I knew none of this and am now glad I do. Thank you.

Tepes is a fascinating historical figure and a genuine biopic could be fantastic. If you're interested (and you should be), the Caustic Soda podcast did an episode on him where they went in expecting to detail his evil deeds and walked away with a "he was a pretty cool dude" opinion. (Edit: I just relistened to the episode, and I misremembered it. But it's still worth listening to for the context.)

bobkatt013 posted:

Got tickets to see them in Cambridge. The only downside? I should watch Green Lantern before I go.

Just look at the production design and think about how interesting the mixture of 50's scifi aesthetic with more organic forms is.

On the positive side, you'll be one of the few people who can actually hear that episode. :v:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 20, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They can spring for a lovely handheld voice recorder from radioshack and it would sound better than their regular live episodes recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Next week has to be Transcendence, right? Hint was vague as hell and it's the only thing I can see fitting.