Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
talk about your wasted youth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MrBims posted:

It has been 1340 days since [S] Flip was posted. Almost Three and a half years. Three and a half years of content that is now up in the air as to its importance going forward, whether it was 'real' or not. Three and a half years of what was supposed to be on the precipice of the final acts.

I don't believe for a single moment that Hussie has had this 'mapped out', even in terms of vague concepts, the way he had with scratching the kids' game or trollpocalypse. I don't believe for a single moment that anything since the start of new content has been truly necessary for getting to the ending. I think Hussie just wanted to see how far he could go with this retcon idea, further expanding the already ghastly absurd scope of details this stupid story demands the reader care about and try to make sense of.

Not all three and a half years of content to be fair. All the stuff with the Alpha's is unaffected and most of the stuff with the beta kids and trolls took place off screen anyway. Only Act 6 Act 6 will have really major ramifications from this. Which is still about a year's worth of content I think?

Also, I still think Vriska is going to die as I fail to see how getting punched in the face would make her not want to fly off and have her dramatic final battle with Jack.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Not all three and a half years of content to be fair. All the stuff with the Alpha's is unaffected and most of the stuff with the beta kids and trolls took place off screen anyway. Only Act 6 Act 6 will have really major ramifications from this. Which is still about a year's worth of content I think?

Also, I still think Vriska is going to die as I fail to see how getting punched in the face would make her not want to fly off and have her dramatic final battle with Jack.

It stalled her long enough for Sollux to get the meteor going ("If you go fight him now you will never catch up with us and you'll be stranded out in the middle of actual nothingness even if you somehow beat him"). It also gave her some time to think over her desire to fight Jack. She's been humbled after being 1 hit KO'd by Egbert. She gets to chat with Terezi about why all that poo poo happened. There are a ton of possible reasons she would choose to stay on the meteor.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

It stalled her long enough for Sollux to get the meteor going ("If you go fight him now you will never catch up with us and you'll be stranded out in the middle of actual nothingness even if you somehow beat him"). It also gave her some time to think over her desire to fight Jack. She's been humbled after being 1 hit KO'd by Egbert. She gets to chat with Terezi about why all that poo poo happened. There are a ton of possible reasons she would choose to stay on the meteor.

Hahahaha. Vriska won't get humbled by a sucker punch. The Terezi chat is a good point but I think you underestimate Vriska's ego, she's put a lot of effort into making this final battle suitably dramatic and like hell she'll throw away a chance in the spotlight because of common sense.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hahahaha. Vriska won't get humbled by a sucker punch. The Terezi chat is a good point but I think you underestimate Vriska's ego, she's put a lot of effort into making this final battle suitably dramatic and like hell she'll throw away a chance in the spotlight because of common sense.

Counterpoint: If all that happens and everything plays out like it did before, what was the point of literally anything that happened in this scene?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did you see the expression on her face in that last update? A guy she just asked out on a date appeared out of nowhere and cranked her in the jaw for, to the best of her knowledge, no reason at all. Her ego is currently being counteracted by the extent to which she does not know what the gently caress.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

paranoid randroid posted:

Did you see the expression on her face in that last update? A guy she just asked out on a date appeared out of nowhere and cranked her in the jaw for, to the best of her knowledge, no reason at all. Her ego is currently being counteracted by the extent to which she does not know what the gently caress.
This. This isn't the Vriska that dated ghost-John for ages and moved on. This is the Vriska that still likes and gives a stuff about John. I think, together with the impossibility of what just happened, this will be enough to stop her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rincewind posted:

Counterpoint: If all that happens and everything plays out like it did before, what was the point of literally anything that happened in this scene?

To give Terezi some kind of pre-emptive closure and prevent some of her bad decisions in the future, to reveal that there is an element of Terezi's plan that has gone wrong simply due to her not having all the information, and to possibly lay the groundwork for some big modifications from the old Alpha.

paranoid randroid posted:

See, I won't mind if the opportunity for her to go after Jack passes simply due to her confusion because seriously, what the gently caress. But I think it'd be a disservice to Vriska's character for her to re-think her decision to murder Jack, just so she can be the protagonist who slays the villain.

Even so i'd still be disappointed if that was justification for her staying around, because retconning logical character development is lame and stupid. And Vriska had that, it made sense, even if she became less entertaining.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Doesn't help Vriska seemed lovestruck last time someone struck her.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
John should honestly go back to Terezi when she's writing the instructions on the scarf and tell her that he doesn't have the wallet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Note Block posted:

John should honestly go back to Terezi when she's writing the instructions on the scarf and tell her that he doesn't have the wallet.

That timeline's already been retconned away. And despite the overpoweredness of zappy powers who knows if he can go back to timelines that no longer exist.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That timeline's already been retconned away. And despite the overpoweredness of zappy powers who knows if he can go back to timelines that no longer exist.

He obviously goes back to the point before he retcons it :colbert:

Also did he take the ring out of the future, does that mean another ring exists now? He brought a ring from a different future into the new continuity.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The point isn't to save Vriska, it's to make sure that Terezi doesn't kill her. How many times have multiple people gone over this in the past few pages? Terezi painted herself into a corner where she only saw the options of killing Vriska or letting her fight Jack, probably lose and get everyone else killed. She mainly wanted to avoid that from happening, and she has.

sirtommygunn posted:

It stalled her long enough for Sollux to get the meteor going ("If you go fight him now you will never catch up with us and you'll be stranded out in the middle of actual nothingness even if you somehow beat him")

And even if she loses, it won't make a difference because the meteor would be moving. But beyond just Sollux, now there's Karkat and Kanaya around as well to tell her what a really, really, ridiculously stupid idea that is; if she wouldn't get whittled down by their talking and still wanted to leave to go fight, the other trolls would likely back Terezi up on "she needs to die or we're all gonna get wasted", so even if the ultimate outcome was the same, Terezi would still feel better about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder if vriska picked up any memories from her uncanoned self somehow

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I kind of want to know people's reactions to the password pages now, if they're just reading through the story for the first time.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Bongo Bill posted:

Hussie scrapped Wizardy Herbert to make Homestuck, so it's not unreasonable to guess that a character rewriting the plot from within was an idea he had planned from the start.

I don't know if I think Hussie has had everything pinned down to the letter, but yeah, as someone who loves Wizardy Herbert to death I can say that a lot of Act 6 and especially Act 6 Act 6 and its subacts seems built around ideas and plot structures he's been sitting on since that book sputtered out. I think the real dissonance comes from the fact that Hussie probably wasn't sure if he wanted to wholesale ransack WH for material before he started Homestuck, so the first half of the story or so doesn't really lay as much groundwork as it could.

To put it another way, WH is an extended riff/parody/deconstruction of Harry Potter. Hussie doubled the workload (and frankly strained reader patience) because he wrote his own Epic Teen Magic Quest, and then made the second half of the story the extended riff/parody/deconstruction of that first half.

Pyroi posted:

I kind of want to know people's reactions to the password pages now, if they're just reading through the story for the first time.

I have a friend who's giving the whole comic a read after, I think, last giving up somewhere in 5.1, and when he hit the password page he was just like "What the hell is this?" Then he decided he'd find out later and kept going. I have no idea what his reaction will be when he hits the payoff.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

frozentreasure posted:

The point isn't to save Vriska, it's to make sure that Terezi doesn't kill her. How many times have multiple people gone over this in the past few pages? Terezi painted herself into a corner where she only saw the options of killing Vriska or letting her fight Jack, probably lose and get everyone else killed. She mainly wanted to avoid that from happening, and she has.

I don't think this is totally right because all her screwing around with her own head didn't prevent her from ultimately believing that she needed to kill Vriska, and the Terezi who wrote the instructions seems to have anticipated that, in as much as she still had to tell John incapacitate Vriska. I mean, that alone is sufficient to prevent Terezi from killing Vriska, but it seems like she'd still painted herself into a corner where she did not see any other options (like, say, incapacitating Vriska).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

John appeared literally inside of Con Air, which is a work of fiction. He manifested inside of Homosuck while it was being drawn. Whether something happened has never had anything to do with his ability to go there - only whether it was depicted in a Homestuck panel.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's easy to forget, but John is not just traveling in time, he is traveling in the narrative, which makes some things easier to do and some things harder.

This is probably why Lord English enters at the end and then travels back in time, instead of just entering at the beginning of things. John cannot affect events that we have not yet seen or are not currently viewing. Lord English will arrive at the end. If he arrives, they lose. He has already arrived in the future and gone to the past, so they have already lost. Or that's how Caliborn seems to think it works, at least. I'm curious how John's ability factors into his defeat. He's the only one who can force a paradox in that situation.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
John in the last update repeated everyone's questions here almost word for word so I think we're going to get a bit more light on how this weird narrative poo poo works soonish.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

John in the last update repeated everyone's questions here almost word for word so I think we're going to get a bit more light on how this weird narrative poo poo works soonish.

Well, John himself is removed from the narrative, and his deal with his denizen makes it seem like he will die at a specific point in time in every iteration of the plot, so he can move unfettered without two Johns loving around (unless I misunderstood Jade's portion of the storybook thing).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pyroi posted:

There are no such people. The only people reading Homestuck are the people that have been trapped from the very beginning. Soon the story will end and we will emerge from our computer rooms with long scraggly hobo beards and squinting with a hand held above our faces as our eyes re-adjust to natural light.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

CJacobs posted:

There are no such people. The only people reading Homestuck are the people that have been trapped from the very beginning. Soon the story will end and we will emerge from our computer rooms with long scraggly hobo beards and squinting with a hand held above our faces as our eyes re-adjust to natural light.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I just started reading this past October. But it DOES feel like I've been putting up with this poo poo for 5 years.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

John appeared literally inside of Con Air, which is a work of fiction. He manifested inside of Homosuck while it was being drawn. Whether something happened has never had anything to do with his ability to go there - only whether it was depicted in a Homestuck panel.

Yeah but both those things exist. The old timeline no longer does so i'm unsure if it's possible for him to return.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah but both those things exist. The old timeline no longer does so i'm unsure if it's possible for him to return.

The panels exist, so John can appear in them. He is not time traveling.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Pyroi posted:

Rune of What The gently caress Is Homestuck hit one and tried finding out the password, but then decided she didn't want to skip 1,000 pages of Homestuck. She also got the password wrong but I'm not going to tell her that because her spoiler policy is insanely limiting.
http://what-the-gently caress-is-homestuck.tumblr.com/tagged/wtfih11/chrono/page/11
About midway down I think.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Prediction: They're gonna beat Lord English by trapping him in the Paradox Space website and he will spend the rest of eternity zapping around there trying to get back to the mspa website but never being able to.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I read the entirety of this comic a couple of years ago and I have no idea what any of you are saying about it now.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Wulfolme posted:

I read the entirety of this comic a couple of years ago and I have no idea what any of you are saying about it now.

I like the idea of there having been a certain page in the long-ago past that was feasible as an end, and a reader who happened to catch up to updates on that page accepts that this was the completion of the story.

I'm going to choose to believe that page was Jane opening the mailbox and it exploding because that would be such an M Night Shyamalan twist ending.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 16, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MrBims posted:

I like the idea of there having been a certain page in the long-ago post that was feasible as an end, and a reader who happened to catch up to updates on that page accepts that this was the completion of the story.

I'm going to choose to believe that page was Jane opening the mailbox and it exploding because that would be such an M Night Shyamalan twist ending.

End of act 1.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The panels exist, so John can appear in them. He is not time traveling.

Good point. Since he is changing the narrative he should be able to appear in them even if that technically no longer happened. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he can't travel back.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MrBims posted:

I like the idea of there having been a certain page in the long-ago past that was feasible as an end, and a reader who happened to catch up to updates on that page accepts that this was the completion of the story.

Honestly the end of Act 5 would have been as good as any. They've been trying to bring about the Scratch for the majority of the story; they finally did it. Hooray. :toot:

...now that I think about it in terms of pacing that sounds like a good ending for Book 1 of a trilogy which is kinda funny

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Good point. Since he is changing the narrative he should be able to appear in them even if that technically no longer happened. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he can't travel back.

Well, the only reason he was able to travel to these moments in Terezi's personal history is because he had specific ideas to lock on to, ones which were supplied to him by the very person who thought them up. Meaning that unless he comes across a sudden increased understanding of his new power, he'll only be able to travel to points in the story inhabited by himself or people who he can speak to. He could also go back to random zapping, but that seems to do more harm than good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ariong posted:

Well, the only reason he was able to travel to these moments in Terezi's personal history is because he had specific ideas to lock on to, ones which were supplied to him by the very person who thought them up. Meaning that unless he comes across a sudden increased understanding of his new power, he'll only be able to travel to points in the story inhabited by himself or people who he can speak to. He could also go back to random zapping, but that seems to do more harm than good.

Luckily, everybody he can speak to is a character who once appeared on an important page.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bongo Bill posted:

Luckily, everybody he can speak to is a character who once appeared on an important page.

Well, that depends on where he's going next.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Well that's a neat trick.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They arrive to find everyone loving dead again.

Goddamnit Terezie!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man that's some anticlimatic posting.

I kind of wish Roxy would put the ring on Rose, since it'd probably bring her back to life even with a Heroic death and she could be unstuck from continuity now too. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Aww how cute :3:

Also dang John