Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Smythe posted:

also is this for real: there is a bluestacks client for chromeOS but not one for linux. debian nor fedora? am i reading this right?? am i gonna have2 run teh BlueStacks Windows Client in WINE ?????
Wait there's bluestacks for chromeOS? I can't find it in the chromeOS not-appstore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-01/msg00171.html

tldr: emacs wants to pipe gcc IR into emacs do do all the things that libclang does, rms is delusional enough to still believe that people will attach their own proprietary language frontend to gcc's backend instead of just using llvm

lmao

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/181103

somebody put rms out of our misery already thank

god bless

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

ruby idiot railed posted:

lmao

god bless

is it a moderated list? someone just reply "you're a turd, Richard"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2015-January/msg00000.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

delicious

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
today i wanted to print screen something. apparently this does nothing by default, so i had to install some kdegraphics package to use a snapshot app or whatever. later, i tried to open the file explorer (or whatever you want to call it) and surprise, it's been replaced with something called "gwenview". gwenview does not display anything except image files. as a file explorer, this is useless to me.

thats my linux on the desktop story for today

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My steam for linux bug is filling up with people who thought losing the entire contents of your home directory was a regular linux thing, so they didn't report any bugs.

Linux - you can expect to lose all your data

is what I am getting from this.

Lysidas posted:

good thing you have everything saved by a recent btrfs snapshot, right?

It was ntfs so I could actually use it on computers with software that doesn't delete all of your data.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

keyvin posted:

It was ntfs so I could actually use it on computers with software that doesn't delete all of your data.

but Linus says NTFS is poo poo because it's not case sensitive and that's the only right way for filesystems to be, and he knows more about operating systems and filesystems and source control than anyone because he wrote Linux

man I wish Prentice-Hall had made distribution of the MINIX-386 patch set easier back in 1990

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
NTFS stores filenames as UTF-16 though whereas Linux poo poo stores filenames as byte strings that cannot contain ASCII '/' though

that's like literally the one thing that Windows gets right over POSIX.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

keyvin posted:

Lol, quality shell scripting there gabe.

steam.sh : 467
code:
        # Scary!
        rm -rf "$STEAMROOT/"*
I am jack's utter lack of checking that the environment variable is set before running that command.

I got burned by using variables like that in a shell script. They should be like this now: ${STEAMROOT}

Also, Fedora server is absolute trash, just like Fedora desktop.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
this year is not starting out great for Linux on the laptop at least, 3.18 broke my wifi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fedora live cd refuses to boot from usb under kernel missing pretense
i cba, will try to linuxify my table after sleep

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i laughed out loud at the steam problems itt

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

NTFS stores filenames as UTF-16 though whereas Linux poo poo stores filenames as byte strings that cannot contain ASCII '/' though

that's like literally the one thing that Windows gets right over POSIX.

well, except for the fact that Unicode has changed multiple times since NTFS was created

Microsoft embeds the case folding tables in NTFS at filesystem creation time, though, Apple just mangles your filenames randomly depending on OS X version without notice.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Microsoft embeds the case folding tables in NTFS at filesystem creation time, though, Apple just mangles your filenames randomly depending on OS X version without notice.

source?

HFS+ uses a (pre-standardization, because it shipped before the standard) variant of Normalization Form D which, while a pain, is pretty well specified.

part of the point is that I could take a FireWire drive from my Mac Pro and plug it into my G3 running a circa-1998 version of MacOS 8 and still have access to all my files. (at least through an app that uses the HFS+ APIs)

Linus on the other hand evidently thinks users should just expect things to change between minor updates and backwards compatibility to be treated as a pipe dream

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OS X 10.3 switched from Unicode 2.1 decomposition rules to Unicode 3.2 decomposition rules.

This is documented in Apple Technical Note 1150, except Apple pulled that and the archived copies I'm finding are missing all the tables.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

OS X 10.3 switched from Unicode 2.1 decomposition rules to Unicode 3.2 decomposition rules.

This is documented in Apple Technical Note 1150, except Apple pulled that and the archived copies I'm finding are missing all the tables.

thanks

so one time, 5 years after introduction, between OS major versions, and almost a dozen years ago at this point

sounds like mangling file names randomly to me!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

keyvin posted:

Steam for linux just recursively deleted everything owned by my user in the file hierarchy. Including the 3tb drive I use for backups.

lmao Linux is so bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

keyvin posted:

Lol, quality shell scripting there gabe.

steam.sh : 467
code:
        # Scary!
        rm -rf "$STEAMROOT/"*
I am jack's utter lack of checking that the environment variable is set before running that command.

lol posix is poo poo shell scripts are the worst way to do anything

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

lmao Linux is so bad

I'm Myth II

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

trilljester posted:

I got burned by using variables like that in a shell script. They should be like this now: ${STEAMROOT}

that would not have solved the problem

but it is a good practice i guess

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

thanks

so one time, 5 years after introduction, between OS major versions, and almost a dozen years ago at this point

sounds like mangling file names randomly to me!

this means that if you created a list of file names prior to 10.3 and then either upgraded or moved the disk to 10.3, your software stopped working if the normalization rules for your one of your file names changed.

compare with NTFS and exFAT where the case folding table is stored in the filesystem itself at filesystem creation time and if you upgraded the operating system or move the disk to another system, everything keeps working.
(of course if you Zip it up or whatever and move it to upgraded NTFS, everything breaks, because NTFS is terrible. but less terrible than HFS+.)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ruby idiot railed posted:

lmao

god bless

i read all this poo poo and idk lol. hes so pathetic. and its incredibly sad all these dorks are typing novels at him trying to convince him when hes completely insane

quote:

Since LLVM and Clang are not copylefted, they invite nonfree extensions.
They are a gaping hole in the defensive wall around our city.

lol gcc is dead

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

this means that if you created a list of file names prior to 10.3 and then either upgraded or moved the disk to 10.3, your software stopped working if the normalization rules for your one of your file names changed.
i think this is a decent punishment for using osx before 10.3

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

pram posted:

i read all this poo poo and idk lol. hes so pathetic. and its incredibly sad all these dorks are typing novels at him trying to convince him when hes completely insane

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

also:

Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.

im the non-free-of-charge equals denial of freedom

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm the Ekiga softphone, a project that's been dead for over six years.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

du -hast posted:

quote:

no, he actually means it's not copyleft

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ah yes, noted upholder of freedom and privacy, the phone system

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm the Ekiga softphone, a project that's been dead for over six years.

lmao

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
:coal: :coal: :coal:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait there's bluestacks for chromeOS? I can't find it in the chromeOS not-appstore.

oh, i might have been wrong. kinda looked like it here: http://www.bluestacks.com/technology.html
but i guess not. sorry. i thnk it woud be cool if android apps ran natively in chromeos tho. its kind of a clusterfuck tho.

i put android x86 in virtualbox in an effort to make janitoring my works instagram faster and its all hosed up. teh app forces the screen portrait, and if u use another ap to stop it from forcing it, it truncates the screen and theres poo poo u cant click. its all hosed up.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

du -hast posted:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

also:

I'm the guy who's worried about being spied on but prefers ordinary phone calls over encrypted voip

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Just got a "Sorry about all your stuff, let me tell you about bitcoin" email.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
postit

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

quote:

Hi Keyvin,

Apologies for the e-mail out of the blue. I didn't want to spam the GitHub issue with non-constructive information (though I see others are doing that already, which is a shame), so I thought e-mail would be a better medium for this.

I wanted to commend you your calm and collected demeanour with which you wrote your steam-for-linux bug report, and I would like to offer you "a beer" via ChangeTip to show my gratitude: (I'll explain ChangeTip at the end of the e-mail)

I imagine that if if I were in your shoes and Steam nuked my files, I probably would not be so calm, and might find it difficult to write a coherent bug report - if I managed to track the issue down to Steam at all. Your bug report however is very clear, and as a result the first response to the report actually tracked down the issue to a line of code.

I fear you're probably not the first victim to this bug, but you're certainly responsible for alerting Valve to it and getting it fixed (when Valve get around to that). I've no doubt that if left unreported, a lot of people would lose a lot of important data due to this bug (Oh will somebody think of the innocent data!), so I'd like to offer my personal thanks for the bug report (as an [enthusiastic] user of Steam).

Now, about that "beer". The URL above is to a service called ChangeTip, which is a bitcoin tipping service. The whole point of the service is for users to reward other users (and non-users, via social websites or privately - like this e-mail), for whatever reason. I have sent you "a beer" via ChangeTip, which is set to $3.50 worth of bitcoins - currently 16,025.63 μBTC (micro-bitcoins, also referred to as 'bits'). To redeem it you will have to set up a ChangeTip account, which the URL above will walk you through. You can keep the bitcoins in ChangeTip and use them to tip other people in the future, or (this will require reading up and learning about bitcoin) withdraw the bitcoins to your personal wallet to either buy things with bitcoin, or sell the bitcoins for fiat-currency (USD, GBP, EUR, ...) - whatever you use).

I appreciate that you might not be interested in Bitcoins at all, or may not want to sign up for ChangeTip, and that's totally fine. If unclaimed, the tip will be returned to me in a few days (I think the limit is 7-days), but the beer is there if you want it!

Again, thank-you very much for your great bug report!

Kind regards,

Redacted the address. Also, it made it to the front page of hacker news, and is being called the new bumblebee.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 22, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sassafras posted:

Send him a similarly styled reply introducing him to a service called PayPal that lets you send real money to someone else's email address.

My parents taught me it was wrong to play with the intellectually disabled.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol. let me buy you a virtual beer , with open source (free like freedom, not beer, although your virtual beer will be free in the beer sense ;D) cryptocurrency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yay for non-freedom-denying beer