Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I want to think the sherpas cull the herd as they see fit.

Canada girl was fine going up and coming down. She just got stuck in the snow. Oops. Don't let you die? Shhhhh, hush now. It'll be warm soon. *clips carabener to line*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Strumpie posted:

He was in the SAS (Reserves) with Bear Grylls who he absolutely hates for being a total showboating twat.

Here's his cool website.

I really, really, really agree with this man. :D

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Nain Singh deserves a lot more attention. A little backstory about how awesome he is and how crazy what he accomplished was. There's a good little blurb about him and the actual process of mapping in his days, in the book Maphead by Ken Jennings.

Ken Jennings in Maphead posted:

...they were writing the first records of every single thing they saw. Their horizon was only three miles away, and they had no way to transcend the limits of their own viewpoint. Consider the laborious process of making the first survey of a region using eighteenth- or nineteenth-century technology. First you need to establish a baseline—a precisely known distance between two points. Today you’d do that with a laser; measure the time it takes light to reflect off a prism, and within seconds you’d have the distance. But back then it meant inching across the countryside with a sixty-six-foot chain, moving the chain like a football referee every time it got fully extended and always taking great care to keep it straight and at a constant elevation (on wooden trestles, if necessary). Marking off a single seven-mile baseline could take weeks.

And then the fun would really start. From both ends of your baseline, you use a bulky instrument called a theodolite to measure the angle to a single landmark—a hilltop, maybe, or a distant church steeple. With a little tenth-grade trigonometry, you use the baseline length and the two angles to compute the distances from each endpoint to the third landmark. Well done! You have just surveyed a single triangle! Now take one of your endpoints and the new landmark, and make that distance the baseline of a second triangle, and one of that triangle’s sides the baseline of a third triangle, and so on. Now please try to resist blowing your brains out when I tell you that the Great Trigonometrical Survey that mapped British India two centuries ago required more than forty thousand triangles to complete and stretched from a five-year project into an eighty-year one.

It was a Herculean task, the Indian survey. This kind of triangulation is difficult enough if you’re mapping, say, Devonshire. It’s almost inconceivable on a subcontinent of dense jungles and the world’s highest mountains,* where torrential rains might halt mapping for months at a time and you have to constantly replace the surveyors killed by malaria. Where there were no easily visible landmarks to sight to or from, rickety bamboo scaffolds would be built, and many of the flagmen stationed atop them fell to their deaths.

...Even more remarkable is the story of Nain Singh, the Bhotian schoolteacher who spent the better part of ten years exploring the Himalayan “roof of the world” for the British. Tibet was closed to Westerners under penalty of death, but Singh was able to smuggle himself across the border and complete the five-hundred-mile trek to Lhasa, where he met the Dalai Lama himself. Singh’s Buddhist prayer wheel concealed a hidden compartment for notes and a compass; his rosary had been doctored so he could use the beads to count his paces. At every place he stopped, he would secretly use his sextant to determine latitude and boil a pot of water to measure altitude. Though he received only twenty rupees a month for his pains, his measurements formed the basis for the only maps of Tibet available for the next fifty years. In 1877, the Royal Geographical Society awarded him its prestigious Victoria Medal “for having added a greater amount to our positive knowledge of the map of Asia than any individual of our time.” †

Bolded part is some awesome secret agent mapping poo poo. Early mappers/cartographers were pretty bad rear end, just in a different way from mountaineers

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 16, 2015

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Singh, Nain Singh.

Seriously that guy was awesome.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

Nain Singh deserves a lot more attention. A little backstory about how awesome he is and how crazy what he accomplished was. There's a good little blurb about him and the actual process of mapping in his days, in the book Maphead by Ken Jennings.

Bolded part is some awesome secret agent mapping poo poo. Early mappers/cartographers were pretty bad rear end, just in a different way from mountaineers

Woah! That's the thing I love about this thread, just when you think there was nothing new to find out about the subject, someone comes along and drops an awesome knowledge bomb like this!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wasnt there some reality show that basically has "contestants" who would bring poo poo like cappucino machines

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Mountains, caves, skiing... ah gently caress it, let's combine all three.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Damo posted:

owns

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Everyone knows that sherpas and people of the Himalayas region are genetically superior for climbing and surviving at high altitudes and we know that Hillary and Norgay were the first known climbers to summit Everest, but how likely is it that people of the region in the past nonchalantly climbed Everest frequently?

I mean, you still have locals calling these people in Everest expeditions crazy and I don't see what the point of climbing a mountain like that would have been to them except for religious reasons. Didn't the locals respect the mountains and chose not to tread on them? Just curious about the likelihood of a high number of summits to everest and neighboring peaks before recorded summits of Everest.

Also happy to see my photo from an earlier thread. The guy in the bottom left of the photo was our guide and was a super cool dude.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Alan Smithee posted:

Wasnt there some reality show that basically has "contestants" who would bring poo poo like cappucino machines

I think you are thinking of Sandy Hill (formerly Sandy Hill Pittman), the rich New Yorker from the 1996 Everest Disaster. She brought some crazy luxury poo poo those poor sherpas had to haul up. To her credit she had a deal with NBC to do a video diary and other broadcasts from her climb with the Mountain Madness expedition, so she likely was required to bring some unconventional gear with her. However, yeah I believe she did bring a coffee machine or something like that, among other luxury items to Everest in 1996.

She also was a pretty decently accomplished climber prior to her Everest attempt, summitting Aconcagua, Mount McKinley, Vinson Massif, Mount Elbrus, Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Kosciuszko, and Puncak Jaya (according to Wikipedia at least) before she attempted Everest. She wasn't a pro 8000er by any means, but she was certainly light years ahead of a certain unfortunate Canadian woman this thread loves to poke fun at when it came to basic mountaineering. Someone more knowledgeable on the subject can likely give more detail on the stuff she brought with her on Everest, it's been a while since I read the various books on the 96 disaster.

Damo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 16, 2015

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Minrad posted:

awgh. naw!

i love it when i go skiing and see people up in the rocky cliff areas at the peaks. there's always a couple of them, and usually one of them standing there looking confused between two giant rock faces, wondering where to go and deeply regretting their hubris.

then you see the guy that's just like "lmao" who zooms down the peak with no shits given whatsoever

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Damo posted:

Edward Wheeler, one of the two surveyors on the 1921 Everest Expedition spent nearly three months with just his porters at over 6500m mapping the Rongbuk Glacier and surrounding peaks. He also discovered the route to the North Col and was with Mallory and Bullock when they gave up their attempt to climb the mountain

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Minrad posted:

That's pretty drat rad. Until someone smashes his/her face on a rock that is.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Damo posted:

I think you are thinking of Sandy Hill (formerly Sandy Hill Pittman), the rich New Yorker from the 1996 Everest Disaster. She brought some crazy luxury poo poo those poor sherpas had to haul up. To her credit she had a deal with NBC to do a video diary and other broadcasts from her climb with the Mountain Madness expedition, so she likely was required to bring some unconventional gear with her. However, yeah I believe she did bring a coffee machine or something like that, among other luxury items to Everest in 1996.

She also was a pretty decently accomplished climber prior to her Everest attempt, summitting Aconcagua, Mount McKinley, Vinson Massif, Mount Elbrus, Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Kosciuszko, and Puncak Jaya (according to Wikipedia at least) before she attempted Everest. She wasn't a pro 8000er by any means, but she was certainly light years ahead of a certain unfortunate Canadian woman this thread loves to poke fun at when it came to basic mountaineering. Someone more knowledgeable on the subject can likely give more detail on the stuff she brought with her on Everest, it's been a while since I read the various books on the 96 disaster.

The single item that she gets the most crap about is some sort of espresso maker but IIRC it turns out it was more like a Bialetti-type thing and not the gigantic contraption normally envisioned. She had a bunch of other poo poo too in order to do her broadcasts and most of that was left at base camp or one camp up.

Discovery Channel did a reality show of sorts on Everest for 3 seasons, and their amount of stuff wasn't unreasonable but people give them poo poo about the David Sharp thing.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

hailthefish posted:

The single item that she gets the most crap about is some sort of espresso maker but IIRC it turns out it was more like a Bialetti-type thing and not the gigantic contraption normally envisioned.

I have something like this - it's small, and you stick it on top of a heat source. I used to use it to make espresso on the barbecue.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Stainless-Mini-Expresso/dp/B0002YRKZW/

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Can you make decent coffee at that altitude?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Wait, how do you even boil water at that altitude? I mean, you can boil it, yeah, but how hot can it possibly be?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Wait, how do you even boil water at that altitude? I mean, you can boil it, yeah, but how hot can it possibly be?

I don't know but they all drink a shitload of tea so I'm sure it works somehow. Looks like water boils at ~166F at that altitude?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Teas don't require as high a temperature as coffee. If you're brewing coffee at 180 F you'll get coffee but it won't be much better than instant.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Portable pressure cooker!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Damo posted:

So she was doing the last of the 7 Summits? That doesn't sound unreasonable, and it's probably the only way I would do Everest: have someone else pay for it.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 16, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You're also four miles in the air and you could probably throw five coffee beans in lukewarm water and get an insane caffeine buzz.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Lincoln posted:

One of the many documentaries I watched mentions that it takes around 3 hours to boil water. Plus you gotta melt it from snow which is obv. not as dense as water so you have to melt poo poo-loads.

As for Sandy, a quick Google search brings this up-

quote:

Here's a link to an interview with Sandy Pittman from 2006, ten years after the Everest Disaster. She's talking with a reporter to discuss a few things from up on the mountain.

She starts off by mentioning that she doesn't talk about Everest much, as it was "Terrible. At the time, I was in mourning for the loss of our expedition leader, Scott Fischer, I was stunned by my own near-death experience, and my husband had filed for divorce a few months before I went to Everest. It was pretty much the worst year of my life." It's easy to distinguish that she'd been having a hard time with her husband on top of other things, which wasn't evident at all in Into Thin Air. Next, she talks about how much she liked the way Anatoli Boukreev portrayed the climb in his book, and how she wished she'd been able to see Everest how she did years after the experience. She says, "I wish I could've seen Everest then as I do today. I was privileged to have been on Everest three times, and in '96 with such a wonderful team."
Later on in the interview, the subject turns to a very awkward piece of equipment that she'd allegedly brought up the mountain:
A cappuccino maker.

In her defense, she describes the coffeemaker she brought up the mountain as such: "But my coffeepot is a single stovetop aluminum percolator thing that weighs less than two pounds. Once you have the coffee made, you put a little hot water and a spoonful of powdered milk into a lidded mug and shake it really hard to make it foamy. Then you pour coffee into the mug, and it's like a fake cappuccino. I thought it was clever. The men do it and people say, "The dude really loves his java." I do it and they say, "She's so spoiled."" This gives no support that the coffeemaker was an actual cappuccino machine. Sandy was known for bringing luxury items on the trip, but you have to give her some credit for putting up with a fake cappuccino every day. This says a lot for her, because she acted like she couldn't survive without her laptop, cell phone, fax machine, etc. in the novel.
She rounds off the interview with a statement. "I haven't climbed since '96... I wasn't really in a position to keep climbing. I still think climbing any mountain is a great and worthy goal, and no person should be so... judgmental of other people to dismiss Everest... just because it's already been climbed. I assume that everybody... has his own reasons for being there, and I'm not in a position to judge who's got adequate or inadequate experience. We're all adults and capable of making our own decisions."
link- http://takemeupmteverest-rnsmith.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/call-mountain-police-sandy-hill-returns.html which is in an utterly horrible font.

She makes a good point about the different reception a man taking that up would have got. One of the other threads went into the extremely sexist and 'boy's club' vibe that goes on at camps. A bit like Mark Inglis in 2006, I think she was unfortunate enough to be the point of anger for something that was just an utter clusterfuck of poor choices, bad luck, and nature being a total bastard.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I've been tearing through Into Thin Air and I have Dark Summit on my list next--can anyone recommend quality books about K2? I'm looking at Buried in the Sky right now but any recommendations would be welcome.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

atomicgeek posted:

I've been tearing through Into Thin Air and I have Dark Summit on my list next--can anyone recommend quality books about K2? I'm looking at Buried in the Sky right now but any recommendations would be welcome.

I thought the story in K2: Life and Death... by Ed Viesturs was fascinating, but the writing was not great.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Rondette posted:

One of the many documentaries I watched mentions that it takes around 3 hours to boil water. Plus you gotta melt it from snow which is obv. not as dense as water so you have to melt poo poo-loads.

As for Sandy, a quick Google search brings this up-

link- http://takemeupmteverest-rnsmith.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/call-mountain-police-sandy-hill-returns.html which is in an utterly horrible font.

She makes a good point about the different reception a man taking that up would have got. One of the other threads went into the extremely sexist and 'boy's club' vibe that goes on at camps. A bit like Mark Inglis in 2006, I think she was unfortunate enough to be the point of anger for something that was just an utter clusterfuck of poor choices, bad luck, and nature being a total bastard.

She was accused of getting pulled up the mountain by a Sherpa during '96. Her point that there was a lot of sexist nonsense is fair though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Damo posted:

I could have sworn there was a reality show that had some inexperienced people vying for the chance to climb or I dont know

maybe I just want Mt Everest to be treated with all the seriousness of Mortal Kombat and call it Mt. Death

Lucania
May 1, 2009

atomicgeek posted:

I really liked Buried in the Sky since it focused on the sherpas.

Savage Summit is about women who have climbed K2. The author gets into the climbs, the lives (and deaths) of the women, and women in mountaineering in general.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I vaguely recall a woman climber having sex with a dude in her tent and the sherpas got mad because sex displeases the mountain

#climbergate

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grisly Grotto posted:

pff, a little slack isn't a big deal

her footwork though, woefully bad

That's enough slack that a fall would have her drop down and smash her face into the wall. Which would be 100% avoidable with a tighter belay.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I vaguely recall a woman climber having sex with a dude in her tent and the sherpas got mad because sex displeases the mountain

#climbergate

That was Chantal Mauduit. The dude was Viesturs, I think.

The other climbers had other reasons for being pissed off at her. She didn't like climbing with a lot of stuff so she would end up using their resources. She wouldn't help with fixing the ropes or stocking the camps, but she would avail herself to them. Viesturs mentioned a couple of times that she really didn't seem that grateful when she had to be rescued (which happened multiple times).

She seems like she was a very talented climber but I could see why she annoyed so many other climbers.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I've decided to start a kickstarter to be the first one to fully explore the deepest and largest unmapped diving cave. I've never used scuba gear before but I think I can borrow some and I have a friend that has as swimming pool that I can train in. I'm thinking that I should maybe attempt it without the use of supplemental oxygen because that will attract more crowdfunding backers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chocobo posted:

I've decided to start a kickstarter to be the first one to fully explore the deepest and largest unmapped diving cave. I've never used scuba gear before but I think I can borrow some and I have a friend that has as swimming pool that I can train in. I'm thinking that I should maybe attempt it without the use of supplemental oxygen because that will attract more crowdfunding backers.

take a gopro in underwater housing so we can watch the most boring snuff film ever

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
These are some of my favorite books on the subject in addition to the ones mentioned.

Annapurna by Maurice Herzog.
http://www.amazon.com/Annapurna-Maurice-Herzog/dp/1558215492
Herzog and Louis Lachenal became the first climbers in modern History to climb a peak over 8000m when they summited the Himalayan mountain Annapurna I, the 10th-highest mountain in the world. The ascent was all the more remarkable because the peak was explored, reconnoitred and climbed all within one season; and was climbed without the use of supplemental oxygen. It is also the only 8000 meter summit that was reached at the first attempt.

Minus 148 Degrees by Art Davidson
http://www.amazon.com/Minus-148-Degrees-Winter-McKinley/dp/0898866871
The first winter ascent of McKinley, very intense and well written.

Buried in the Sky: The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day by Peter Zuckerman
http://www.amazon.com/Buried-Sky-Extraordinary-Climbers-Deadliest/dp/0393345416
Focused on this incident, but also sherpas and their experiences in general.

Also K2 by Ed Viesturs but I feel like that was already mentioned.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
No way down is also a pretty good book about the 2008 k2 stuff. I liked buried in the sky a bit more but they were both excellent.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.

Chocobo posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scuba-diving-for-the-disabled

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know I'm late but drat that documentary about the Canadian lady. I thought goons photoshopped that picture she brought up there and had outside the tent on display. Surprised she made it as far as she did honestly.

Also lol yeah her Facebook. She did some fundraiser dinner donating 5% to sick children and the rest to fund her expedition or??

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

has anyone died yet

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Chard posted:

has anyone died yet

No climbing until... march? april? I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Do you guys think global warming might play a role in the safety of crossing the icefall and stuff like that as time goes on?

• Locked thread