Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Surprise! (not really)

Here's the adventure mode map:

...and here's an 8-bit fairy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Sooner or later they'll have a DLC pack that basically just makes this game 3D Dot World Warriors

...I won't mind

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the adventure mode map:

Oh uhhh... H-hey there, moon. How's it hanging?

And I'm going to hope for my sanity that S ranks in Japan are A ranks here, or else oh god. I wonder what the map gimmick is going to be.

And given that Impa has on the mask of truth in that last screenshot, I'm guessing that's what the new costumes will be instead of new recolors, which is a bit disappointing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Surprise! (not really)

This is like the worst way they could of implemented Skull Kid.

chumbler posted:

And I'm going to hope for my sanity that S ranks in Japan are A ranks here, or else oh god. I wonder what the map gimmick is going to be.

Everytime you don't get an A rank the moon gets closer :unsmigghh:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

And given that Impa has on the mask of truth in that last screenshot, I'm guessing that's what the new costumes will be instead of new recolors, which is a bit disappointing.

Yeah, the Japanese version goes B -> A -> S for Bronze, Silver, and Gold respectively, though I had a little heart attack when I saw that.

Really curious as to what the gimmick is going to be on the Majora's Mask map.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alacron posted:

Yeah, the Japanese version goes B -> A -> S for Bronze, Silver, and Gold respectively, though I had a little heart attack when I saw that.

Really curious as to what the gimmick is going to be on the Majora's Mask map.

I see the moon hovering over the map, and the game's clock is there at the bottom... if I had to take a rough guess, each play (whether already beaten or not) advances the clock by some amount. There's probably a new Ocarina of Time item that lets you play Song of Time on select blocks only to reset the clock. If you run out of time, the moon crashes and resets the entire map.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That sounds super terrible so I hope you're wrong.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

I see the moon hovering over the map, and the game's clock is there at the bottom... if I had to take a rough guess, each play (whether already beaten or not) advances the clock by some amount. There's probably a new Ocarina of Time item that lets you play Song of Time on select blocks only to reset the clock. If you run out of time, the moon crashes and resets the entire map.

Resetting the map would be a goddamn nightmare and I can't imagine that they'd actually do that. Maybe taking away all of your bombs, compasses, hookshots etc.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thinking on it you know who would of been a cool character for the MM Pack?

The deku princess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Basically anyone other than Young Link would of been interesting. I'd take the Postman over him.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alacron posted:

Resetting the map would be a goddamn nightmare and I can't imagine that they'd actually do that. Maybe taking away all of your bombs, compasses, hookshots etc.

Haha yeah, I just threw that last part in there for added effect... but who knows!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

There is a free patch coming with the MM update. I don't read Japanese, but according to someone on reddit these are the updates:
* Level cap increased
* More potions
* More medals
* A New weapon skill
* Smithy lets you delete skills, sell weapons directly and "Verify skills" (I don't know what this, and the guy doesn't either)
* On the pause menu you can see how much damage you've taken - way better for A ranking stuff
* Also can just restart on the pause menu instead of backing out

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fritzler posted:

* Level cap increased

That's a bad sign.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Look closely at that pic with the 8-bit fairy...is that Impa wearing a Mask of Truth?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Those 3 costumes look pretty drat lazy. I don't know how they managed to make the last character pack look like the one with the least effort put into it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am very glad they fixed OoT Impa's absurd mouth. Nothing can fix those bicycle shorts though. :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fritzler posted:

* On the pause menu you can see how much damage you've taken - way better for A ranking stuff

Thank you based God.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Level cap increased is bad news (as is more badges, I can't get the ones that already exist for most of the characters!), but being able to see how much damage you've taken and a restart is an absolute godsend.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Surprise! (not really)

gently caress

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Kaubocks posted:

gently caress

You know who has a similar skin tone to Skull Kid, knows how to wear a mask properly and doesn't have blue hair that stands out in a bad way?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Never knew Skull kid was actually a babe

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know Peter Pan is usually played by a woman for obvious reasons, but they're stretching it a little bit this time!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think Lana looks cool and cute in that Skull Kid outfit actually.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's her best one yet and I will be using it for her.

edit: if I can ever earn it, which is questionable if they're raising the level cap.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Look closely at that pic with the 8-bit fairy...is that Impa wearing a Mask of Truth?

It is. Good catch you guys.

Earlier it showed Young Link with the Keaton's Mask. Impa has the Mask of Truth.

So, extra "costumes" you can earn from the Majora's Mask DLC will probably be masks. This makes since as Majora's Mask had a large mask theme about it.

Also, for those afraid of the moon falling in "3" days and ending the map, you'll probably earn "ocarinas" that you can play the song of time and reset the counter to 3.

Yeah, I saw where another goon said that too. Great minds think alike?

I should be a game designer person; hire me Nintendo!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Were I designing a Majora's Mask esque system for this game, I'd make it so when the moon crashes, you lose access to your revealed parts of the map. The A-ranks and unlocks and everything stay, but you have to battle your way back through the maps to progress further. The map looks like it's set up like Termina, a central area with missions spread in 4 cardinal directions, so this sounds plausible.

Also, for those worries about unlocking costumes, I'm willing to bet that the OoT Sheik/Zelda and the Skull Kid Lana are going to be freebies on download, like Postman and whatever Zelda got last time around. It'll be the masks that are gated in the adventure map.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fritzler posted:

There is a free patch coming with the MM update. I don't read Japanese, but according to someone on reddit these are the updates:
* Level cap increased
* More potions
* More medals
* A New weapon skill
* Smithy lets you delete skills, sell weapons directly and "Verify skills" (I don't know what this, and the guy doesn't either)

Awesome, this reminds me of the first Mario Kart 8 patch. Good to see they're obviously listening to fan feedback.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

enojy posted:

Awesome, this reminds me of the first Mario Kart 8 patch. Good to see they're obviously listening to fan feedback.

Yeah, I'm very happy for the ability to see the damage I've taken and the ability to restart a mission within a mission. Excellent changes!

Also, remember that song file that got discovered earlier? Here's hoping that as the day counter changes we get a different 8-bit song of the current Clock Town theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNS-mVUFJyw

I really hope we can get the one that plays mere minutes before the moon falls! That music makes you feel the pressure. And crap now I really want to go play Majora's Mask! Nintendo, what are you doing to me!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope the 3 day countdown merely changes some gameplay aspects within the square that you are playing at the time and does nothing in terms of erasing anything on the map, and I think I will be correct.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Quick restart is a godsend. Buying weapons is cool, too, I guess. I'm assuming the Verify thing that the person didn't know about will be something like paying a certain number of rupees to find out which skill a locked skill on a weapon is, just so you can avoid unlocking Sturdy Feet on a fifth loving Cia Scepter I mean come the gently caress on give me No Healing already.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Regy Rusty posted:

That's a bad sign.

All attacks on you only are devastating, mission cleared in more than two minutes = C rank, no items, no combos, level one weapons only: Every MM adventure map level.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Level cap increase is fine, isn't the point of the subsequent adventure mode maps to provide additional challenge after you've overleveled the previous ones?

And drat the MM characters/costumes were what I was most looking forward to and they're the most disappointing. Sheik and Impa aren't even in MM! And their base Hyrule Warriors designs are the best either character has ever had anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Level cap increase is fine, isn't the point of the subsequent adventure mode maps to provide additional challenge after you've overleveled the previous ones?

I would hope for more varied gameplay. The game is challenging enough and the TP map sounds like it requires grinding beyond basic play already.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Making maps that can only be done once you've exceeded the previous level caps isn't good design when leveling is as grind intensive as this game. I only reached the 60s-80s after Master Quest and TP was too hard to be fun.

Not to mention that the biggest problem with the TP map was how much damage you take and leveling up does nothing to alleviate that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fair enough. I should add that I haven't even gotten too far into the first map so I stand corrected.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I would hope for more varied gameplay. The game is challenging enough and the TP map sounds like it requires grinding beyond basic play already.

The TP map has a lot of flaws that are more on implementation than a problem with the fundamental idea. They added a few new regular map gimmicks like the hidden minimap that I think work well, and I don't hate the idea of the balanced attack maps despite my earlier whine. I even like that things actually deal damage in twilight map. The problem is just that it has loads of A rank gating but kept the damage requirement, and since everything is high level its a slog to kill PCs or captains, especially if they can heal each other like in the balanced attack maps. If they just fixed those two main issues the twilight map would be great.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

chumbler posted:

The TP map has a lot of flaws that are more on implementation than a problem with the fundamental idea. They added a few new regular map gimmicks like the hidden minimap that I think work well, and I don't hate the idea of the balanced attack maps despite my earlier whine. I even like that things actually deal damage in twilight map. The problem is just that it has loads of A rank gating but kept the damage requirement, and since everything is high level its a slog to kill PCs or captains, especially if they can heal each other like in the balanced attack maps. If they just fixed those two main issues the twilight map would be great.

That makes sense. I haven't gotten anywhere close to being able to tackle it yet, so I suppose I'll find out if I can ever get that far!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've said it before, but on the TP map, use Oocoo. Requirements for unlocking a square change depending on which direction you're approaching it from.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bicyclops posted:

I'm actually not feeling this at all. The game has become way too easy for me. A ranking missions while playing alone isn't hard unless I'm forced to use a character I hate. Even meeting the 4 heart damage requirement for skulltulas isn't hard now. The only thing I have difficulty with are maps on hero mode, as there the enemies actually deal a nontrivial amount of damage. However they also have a mountain of health so each mission takes like 20-30 minutes and there's no real reward for doing it other than personal satisfaction.

I haven't done the TP map yet though, will probably try it this weekend. I hope its a lot harder than what I've been playing so far.

EDIT: More varied gameplay would be great though. Some new enemies would be nice if only because it would mean the Imprisoned has less chances to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm actually not feeling this at all. The game has become way too easy for me. A ranking missions while playing alone isn't hard unless I'm forced to use a character I hate. Even meeting the 4 heart damage requirement for skulltulas isn't hard now. The only thing I have difficulty with are maps on hero mode, as there the enemies actually deal a nontrivial amount of damage. However they also have a mountain of health so each mission takes like 20-30 minutes and there's no real reward for doing it other than personal satisfaction.

I haven't done the TP map yet though, will probably try it this weekend. I hope its a lot harder than what I've been playing so far.

EDIT: More varied gameplay would be great though. Some new enemies would be nice if only because it would mean the Imprisoned has less chances to show up.

TP's map is so difficult most people stop playing it and just call it junk so uh, yeah it's a lot harder.

• Locked thread