Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

I project Apple is gonna sell a ton of screen replacements this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILltB8bHxeE
I was hoping that'd be a commercialized version of this guy's thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

xzzy posted:

I project Apple is gonna sell a ton of screen replacements this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILltB8bHxeE

Please tell me the whipped air sounds were added after the video was recorded... :wtc:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

I was hoping that'd be a commercialized version of this guy's thing.

I have an irrational love for both of these videos.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
I'm about to upgrade from my iPhone 5 to a iPhone 6. Since my Verizon contract ran out, I switched to prepaid and saved some money over the holidays. What's the best deal for a 5->6 upgrade? Best Buy has a $150 credit trade in for any carrier, and I'm looking at jumping to Sprint's unlimited plan. Is there any better deals?

I'm going to try the local Sprint reseller first to see if they can do anything better.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm headed to Thailand in March and want to bring my sister's old iPhone with me and purchase a local data plan.

With which iPhone model did Verizon start shipping with a Sim Card slot that was unlocked for international use?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dexter6 posted:

I'm headed to Thailand in March and want to bring my sister's old iPhone with me and purchase a local data plan.

With which iPhone model did Verizon start shipping with a Sim Card slot that was unlocked for international use?

The 5 and newer are fully unlocked out of the box. Although with a 4S you can call Verizon and have it unlocked for international use.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Please tell me the whipped air sounds were added after the video was recorded... :wtc:

This is just absurd enough to be something I want.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

My PC's hard drive failed right after my husband spent a few hours modifying the music files in his music folder. I hadn't got a chance to back up his folder on an external drive, so the changes only exist on his iPhone at the moment. We bought a new mac mini and I wanted to know if there was a program I could use to transfer the music on his phone to the mac.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm having trouble with my iPhone 5S. I got my screen replaced and since that time, periodically, it's had times when it will be backlit but none of the services are functional. Like, the light comes on, but there's no picture on my screen and it doesn't respond to touch commands. It does lock, turn vibrate on and initialize Siri, though. Is there anyway to fix my phone?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If it started after you had the screen replaced, it's definitely not a hardware problem and you definitely shouldn't take it back and tell them about it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm having trouble with my iPhone 5S. I got my screen replaced and since that time, periodically, it's had times when it will be backlit but none of the services are functional. Like, the light comes on, but there's no picture on my screen and it doesn't respond to touch commands. It does lock, turn vibrate on and initialize Siri, though. Is there anyway to fix my phone?

The screen was replaced by a third party, right?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

tuyop posted:

The screen was replaced by a third party, right?

Yes

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Now my phone just won't turn on. Should I just take it into the Apple Store?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Smoking Crow posted:

Now my phone just won't turn on. Should I just take it into the Apple Store?

Your warranty isn't valid anymore since the screen was replaced by a third party. You'd have more luck going to the third party.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

noirstronaut posted:

Your warranty isn't valid anymore since the screen was replaced by a third party. You'd have more luck going to the third party.

Trick question, my warranty expired 6 months ago

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Even if it's out of warranty, they can do repairs for a fee. No idea if they'll touch your phone at all now because of the third-party work done to it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Apple won't work on the phone at all if a third party part has been installed, warranty or not.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
New iPhone user (6), never jailbroken it. What should I know before jailbreaking?

A couple pages back it said you can re-enable all the stuff you disable to jailbreak, but what about updating apps and stuff? What happens if an OTA update comes? Just a brief "do this don't do this" thing.

How do you un-jailbreak it if a significant update comes out?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Not an Anthem posted:

New iPhone user (6), never jailbroken it. What should I know before jailbreaking?

A couple pages back it said you can re-enable all the stuff you disable to jailbreak, but what about updating apps and stuff? What happens if an OTA update comes? Just a brief "do this don't do this" thing.

If an OTA iOS update comes out, it more than likely will ruin your jailbreak. I don't think the apps you disable to do the jailbreak will affect anything, since once the phone has been jailbroken, it stays that way, unless it's one of those awful tethered jailbreaks.

If you need to un-jailbreak, do a backup via iTunes (or iCloud) and then just do a regular update and restore the backup. Your phone will no longer be jailbroken.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can't OTA update from a jailbroken device, it'll error out every time.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

I think some of the posts above may be a bit unclear.

- Disable OTA updates completely, and never install one. It's much easier to just never deal with that avenue for updates.
- A jailbroken phone behaves pretty much identically to a normal phone. The only real difference is the Cydia appstore which allows you to install jailbreak apps. Until you start installing tweaks, a cursory look at the phone won't show any differences. The normal app store functions exactly the same (unless you install a jb tweak which modifies its behavior of course).
- Un-jailbreaking is as simple as clicking the Restore iPhone button in iTunes (NOTE: This is NOT the same as Restore Backup). Backing up and restoring your backup won't affect your jailbreak, but this is only if your current iOS version is the most current one already. If that's the case, iTunes won't try to update your iOS and therefore force a Restore iPhone.

Jailbreaking is rather simple and straightforward. Just make sure that before any jailbreak, or any iOS update, that you backup your iphone through iTunes. Once you have a normal phone that's backed up and already has all your contacts and everything in it, you should jailbreak. Once the jailbreak is done, the only difference you'll notice is the Cydia app. If you need to revert it back for any reason, just make a backup and then Restore iPhone through iTunes and you'll have your phone again with the stock iOS. You can do a Restore iPhone anytime anything fucks up with the software, whether your phone is jailbroken or not, the end result is always the same.

flongofthenight
Aug 2, 2003

sup?

Smoking Crow posted:

Trick question, my warranty expired 6 months ago

I don't know if it helps, but I had a similar situation last year after getting the screen replaced on a 4 in Borneo. When I got back to the UK I did the "pay £120 and replace for a new phone" thing. I accidentally mentioned that it was a 3rd party repair (not knowing that was a bad thing) and the apple store guy told me to not mention that again (or I can't do the swap). Otherwise it was pretty much no questions, just pay and get the phone.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flongofthenight posted:

I don't know if it helps, but I had a similar situation last year after getting the screen replaced on a 4 in Borneo. When I got back to the UK I did the "pay £120 and replace for a new phone" thing. I accidentally mentioned that it was a 3rd party repair (not knowing that was a bad thing) and the apple store guy told me to not mention that again (or I can't do the swap). Otherwise it was pretty much no questions, just pay and get the phone.

This may have worked on a 4, but now Apple is going so far as to do component serial number checks, so even if the screen wasn't an obvious 3rd party part, if the serial number of the screen doesn't match up with the device, you will be denied service.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Bouchacha posted:

I think some of the posts above may be a bit unclear.

- Disable OTA updates completely, and never install one. It's much easier to just never deal with that avenue for updates.
- A jailbroken phone behaves pretty much identically to a normal phone. The only real difference is the Cydia appstore which allows you to install jailbreak apps. Until you start installing tweaks, a cursory look at the phone won't show any differences. The normal app store functions exactly the same (unless you install a jb tweak which modifies its behavior of course).
- Un-jailbreaking is as simple as clicking the Restore iPhone button in iTunes (NOTE: This is NOT the same as Restore Backup). Backing up and restoring your backup won't affect your jailbreak, but this is only if your current iOS version is the most current one already. If that's the case, iTunes won't try to update your iOS and therefore force a Restore iPhone.

Jailbreaking is rather simple and straightforward. Just make sure that before any jailbreak, or any iOS update, that you backup your iphone through iTunes. Once you have a normal phone that's backed up and already has all your contacts and everything in it, you should jailbreak. Once the jailbreak is done, the only difference you'll notice is the Cydia app. If you need to revert it back for any reason, just make a backup and then Restore iPhone through iTunes and you'll have your phone again with the stock iOS. You can do a Restore iPhone anytime anything fucks up with the software, whether your phone is jailbroken or not, the end result is always the same.

Thanks this is clear

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Not an Anthem posted:

Thanks this is clear

Do:
Backup with iTunes
Read the jailbreaking thread

Don't:
Pirate apps, Cydia or App Store.
Worry that you will brick your phone. This is almost impossible.
Install themes, that poo poo is gross.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

tuyop posted:

Do:
Read the jailbreaking thread
I wouldn't recommend this, the OP is hopelessly outdated. Reddit is a much better source for jailbreaking. iDownloadBlog is also excellent.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

I wouldn't recommend this, the OP is hopelessly outdated. Reddit is a much better source for jailbreaking. iDownloadBlog is also excellent.
So post a new one.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

tuyop posted:

Don't:
Pirate apps, Cydia or App Store.

Does this mean sideloading? How do you pirate cydia or the app store? I don't get this line. I understand "do not pirate"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Not an Anthem posted:

Does this mean sideloading? How do you pirate cydia or the app store? I don't get this line. I understand "do not pirate"

He means don't pirate apps you can get from the app store or from cydia legitimately.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Not an Anthem posted:

There are apparently repositories where you can download non-free Cydia and App Store stuff for free. Don't use those.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I learned that it fixes itself if you tap the lock button three times and then hold it. iPhones are weird

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

I learned that it fixes itself if you tap the lock button three times and then hold it. iPhones are weird
No your phone is just broken.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
r/jailbreak has the Escape Plan for jailbreaking, it is very useful. That subreddit itself is good, a lot of devs post there.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

withak posted:

There are apparently repositories where you can download non-free Cydia and App Store stuff for free. Don't use those.

I wasn't planning on pirating but is this due to likelihood of malware etc?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No really, go talk about jailbreaking in the jailbreak thread.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No your phone is just broken.

If it works, it works, parrot man

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

tuyop posted:

Don't:
Install themes, that poo poo is gross.

Look how wrong you are!

You're spot on with everything else though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Not an Anthem posted:

I wasn't planning on pirating but is this due to likelihood of malware etc?

There is a malware risk. Mostly though it's that a buck or two given to a dev is a nice thing to do.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
:siren: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396 :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just for the sake of information, jailbreaking doesn't really need a guide. Just google "jailbreak [firmware you're on]" and download the app in the first link, follow its instructions, done.