Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Also as a sidenote, if this half off price point continues for all wii downloadable titles, that'll probably mean that at some point down the line, you may be able to download Xenoblade for :10bux:

I would like a wii game that's actually playable on the gamepad yes.

I want to play SMG1+2 again but I don't want to hook up the little IR thing and get out the wiimote+nunchucks out and all that.

You can actually emulate them and remove the wiimote controls too. You can map them to a right analog stick or something. You can even remap the waggle to a button which is great because you waggle a LOT in Galaxy.

By the end of the Wii lifespan I really hated using the wiimote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

mancalamania posted:

Lots of unfair hatred towards the best game of the trilogy, 2, in this thread.

-This song is secretly a Super Metroid song and is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGuWDQBXrU
Even just this little bit right here turned Echoes into one of my favorite games ever when I got to that section of Torvus Bog.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MaxDuo posted:

What dumb waggle poo poo are you talking about? I've not played the game since it came out but I can't recall anything other than aiming with the wii remote and the occasional door you had to open by turning the wii remote. Did you have to shake the nunchuk for bombs or something? I don't recall playing the game and being super upset by motion controls, so I can't tell if this is just a complaint about simply having to use the wii remote and calling it waggle poo poo, or if I've just forgot something entirely from the game. My only memory about controls in the game is basically "holy poo poo I love aiming like this," since I still hate dual analog shooting.

The Grapple Lasso. It actually isn't that big of a deal but I just really didn't care for the Wiimote that much because Nintendo was so hell-bent on having motion controls when just hitting a button would suffice.

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005

Von Linus posted:

I bought Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and I'm a bit curious about the controllers. Is it wiimote and nunchuk? How does that work? Like the gamepad will be fine, I'm a bit worried about P2,3 and 4.

There is no Wiimote + Nunchuck control scheme that I could find. We always end up using Classic Controllers and sideways wiimotes for the other players. It's very hard to play with a wiimote though.

MightyShadow fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Echoes is a solid game and I think alot of the negative reaction to it was due to the darkness mechanic, which wasn't actually that bad but people loving hate having a constant pressure on them in games (see how many people can't get into Majora's Mask). "The darkness was so annoying!" was like the number one thing people said about that game when it came out and it's really only a threat in a few areas before you nearly completely negate it with the dark suit.

The world design is cool, the first two areas especially have a real gross organic vibe that feels more Super Metroid than anything in the other Primes. I will say aesthetically the dark world wears out its welcome though.

Prime 3 is a pretty solid game, the worst parts of it are where it gets too plot heavy and where long stretches of the Pirate planet become a Halo-lite.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I always thought the general consensus was that Prime 3 was horrible all around.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

I always thought the general consensus was that Prime 3 was horrible all around.

Doesn't seem like it actually is though. :shrug:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Are there any streaming video apps besides Netflix and Amazon?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BigRed0427 posted:

How is Galaxy 2? Is it the kind of Mario game where you gotta dig for hidden stuff or more like 3D World? (Just get from pint A to B)

Also, I know I asked this before but, I wanna try some of the GBA VC Castlevania games. Which ones are good?

Your second question got buried in Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime talk, but the answer is all three of them are good. I would say Aria of Sorrow is the "best" one, and it has a DS sequel- Dawn of Sorrow, which is also excellent and my favorite Castlevania. You really can't go wrong with any of them, though. Or get all three!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Its average critic review score, out of 62 reviews, is a 90%.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Every Prime game is super loving good, ya goofs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

noirstronaut posted:

It's nowhere near horrible; in a vacuum I'd say it was a drat fine game. There's nothing really wrong with it.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Including Hunters and Prime Pinball???

Prime Pinball was pretty fun actually.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

always be closing posted:

Are there any streaming video apps besides Netflix and Amazon?

Crunchyroll is just out if you like that sort of thing. And Youtube.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hulu plus too. I think there's even a free two weeks of Hulu plus promotion Nintendo tweeted a few weeks ago.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

noirstronaut posted:

No? Even the "I hate all new things instinctively" sentiment that surrounds pretty much every last game died out when Other M was released.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mycot posted:

No? Even the "I hate all new things instinctively" sentiment that surrounds pretty much every last game died out when Other M was released.

Other M is definitely the game I was thinking about.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SeANMcBAY posted:

They sell it with Wii Fit U in a bundle. You can also easily find a cheap one that was used once on CL.

Good. It's also like $60 for the bundle on Amazon. I could use it because over the winter I've been shoveling poo poo in my mouth and not getting lots of physical activity and I'm starting to get fat again.

Spectacle Rock posted:

I'm in the same boat, I have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 on disc and I can play them anytime I want, but it is SO hard to pass up $10 for such a great game that would just be on my system anytime I wanted it.

Let's see, how many copies of Super Mario Bros and The Lost Levels do I have...

Super Mario Bros:
*Original NES Cartridge (NES)
*Super Mario All Stars (SNES)
*Animal Crossing (Gamecube)
*Super Mario Bros (3DS)
*Mario 25th Anniversary Disc (Wii)
*Super Mario Bros (Wii U)

Lost Levels
*Super Mario All Stars (SNES)
*Mario II JPN: The Lost Levels (Wii)
*Mario 25th Anniversary Disc (Wii)

So I have 6 playable copies of "Super Mario Bros" and 3 playable copies of "The Lost Levels."

Wow...

I have:

Super Mario Bros:
*NES
*Mario All Stars SNES
*Super Mario Deluxe GBC
*Wii
*Wii U
*3DS

Lost Levels:
*Mario All Stars SNES
*Super Mario Deluxe GBC
*3DS

Jeez I'm a sap for overpriced VC poo poo I guess

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Other M is definitely the game I was thinking about.

How dare you confuse any game with Other M.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bladeworksmaster posted:

This is the only correct post in this thread

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Prime 3 felt more linear which was disappointing to me but I wouldn't call it a bad game or tell you not to play it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I don't know what metroid prime is. :ssh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Metroid primes are freakin great. The first one is the best the other two are not as good but only slightly!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Is there a specific external hard drive someone can recommend? I feel like every one I've looked at has a mention that it's slower or not as great for whatever reason.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Nolgthorn posted:

I don't know what metroid prime is. :ssh:

Then you're in luck! Pick up the Prime Trilogy today! on the 29th!

I was on the fence about buying the trilogy because I already own all three games, but then someone went and posted music from it. Ugh, I can't resist. Not now. Please give me more Metroid the way it was supposed to be, Nintendo. I will give Samus all my space bux.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Personally I don't care if Metroid is linear or not. I'm doing things in the same order anyway, I kind of like what I'm supposed to do next to be clear.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
It's possible Nintendo realised a hell of a lot of people have Wii's so they've starting on this whole "cheap Wii games on Wii U" angle to try to encourage the upgrade.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I don't know about that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm going to be playing the Primes for the first time and I know very little about any of them. Should be fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wish I could play Metroid Prime for the first time again.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok, so I'm gonna go preorder a monster hunter 4 new 3ds. Is there really zero chance for the smaller face plate exchangable new 3ds models being available in the us?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nolgthorn posted:

It's possible Nintendo realised a hell of a lot of people have Wii's so they've starting on this whole "cheap Wii games on Wii U" angle to try to encourage the upgrade.

I'm guessing it's the "hey we want to make some money and this may help that" angle.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Ok, so I'm gonna go preorder a monster hunter 4 new 3ds. Is there really zero chance for the smaller face plate exchangable new 3ds models being available in the us?

They've only announced the XLs being released here, so as of now there's zero chance. I don't really understand why they chose to only have faceplates for normal sized News, but whatever.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mr E posted:

They've only announced the XLs being released here, so as of now, there's zero chance.

They also released a statement today that they "have no announcements at this time" when asked about the smaller n3DS.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Are you going to be able to play Metroid Prime using the Wii U pad or do you have to use a wiimote

What I wouldn't give to play Super Mario Galaxy without a Wiimote

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RyokoTK posted:

Including Hunters and Prime Pinball???

Prime Pinball was pretty fun actually.
Pinball was legit good, Hunters was bad though.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I got this console for Christmas and it's pretty rad and I'm sorry I made mean jokes about it once.

Bought a Wiimote for the upcoming rereleases and now I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about the Big Ben Dual Charger? It's got two rechargable Wiimote batteries and a charge station for both the Wiimotes and the Wii U Gamepad. I mean it looks alright but with Nintendo I'm always suspicious of third-party accessories for some reason.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I've got it and it works well enough, though it can be a bit awkward since you really do need the wiimote to be sitting in it, compared to say, an Xbox battery stand where you can have the battery recharge on its own (talking 360's, not One's). Otherwise the battery'll just pop out. Also I'm not convinced they retain charge as well as they should when not in use, but you can just leave them recharging between sessions I guess.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

There are a couple of traps it's easy to fall into in Metroid Prime 2, which will make it really tedious.

One is thinking that you need to conserve your ammo for the light and dark beams. Shooting any destructible object (crates, plants etc) with one will make it drop at least 5 ammo for the other, often more, so don't worry about running out, go nuts. This is important because some enemies take ages to kill with the power beam but are weak to one of the others. If you've ever complained about those things in Torvus Bog that can only be damaged from behind then this is why, they go down to a single charged shot from the dark beam.

The other is worrying too much about the toxic air in the dark world. Whatever you do, don't hang around in light bubbles waiting for your health to slowly refill, you'll end up bored out of your mind. That's what made me stop playing the first time. Crates drop bigger health items the lower your health is, so just stop worrying and run for it, you'll be fine.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I hope this leads to them eventually releasing like the entire first-party Wii back catalog as digital downloads- there were a few things last-gen I missed that are still mysteriously highly-priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

matrix ripoff posted:

Are you going to be able to play Metroid Prime using the Wii U pad or do you have to use a wiimote

What I wouldn't give to play Super Mario Galaxy without a Wiimote

The Wii release for the trilogy was remote+nun-chuck only, so I'm going to guess no on playable with the game pad.

• Locked thread