Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I think the reason Twinking was so fun was because it turned the game from a boring grindy MMO into a puzzle game where you set your own goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

killstealing posted:

I honestly couldn't stand the grind so I never went above 150, just twinked. Relaxing, really.

The grind was mindless, but with a good group not too bad. I cant imagine doing it solo, but some did.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

CrushedWill posted:

The grind was mindless, but with a good group not too bad. I cant imagine doing it solo, but some did.

Yea I think that's what I did differently. My buds twinked, and so I rolled into that community as well. Whole different game. Leveled one crat up but it wasn't the same... Turned them into another s10 guy :geno:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

killstealing posted:

I honestly couldn't stand the grind so I never went above 150, just twinked. Relaxing, really.

Big up the "capped at 150" crew. Just couldn't stand another 70 levels of hecks

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

I just remembered one of the main reasons I left AO. In the last expansion I saw (Legacy of Xan?) there was an instance to gain an endgame symbiant that involved a group having to press buttons in a certain order based on what color was flashing. Failure to do so properly resulted in an instawipe of the group.

That was a real problem for me as I am blue/green colorblind due to medical eye treatments. After the 2nd wipe of my groupmates due to my not picking the right color, I left the game almost immediately.

Oh the memories :)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

CrushedWill posted:

(hey I hear the engine is in beta!)

lol

CrushedWill posted:

I had a 217/30 soldier and had the hookups, so I had the beast gun. Pretty sweet. Never made 220 because I couldnt find enough omni's to finish my inf missions.

The inferno 190+ grind has been pretty horrible for years now just because of that. It's basically all about whether or not you have a 220 buddy to play them with you or if you have a 220 you can dual log to pull missions and kill everything while your scrub is on /follow. If it's no to either then you're hosed.

I think some time ago they added some kind of new inferno missions, no idea what that's about tho.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

killstealing posted:

165-190 was a real slog since you couldn't place any IP for those levels, but after 190 so much content, gear and character power opened up. Also leveling 200-220 didn't take that much more time, + each level counted as 5 levels (lvl 220 is "really level 300") which made the grind seem less bad.

mfcrocker posted:

Big up the "capped at 150" crew. Just couldn't stand another 70 levels of hecks

Also, why did you guys cap at 150? That meant you could be attacked by level 220s. Lock your level to 149 and twink the character, and you will be a pvp demigod. (i think 187 was the highest that could attack 149)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ineptitude posted:

Also, why did you guys cap at 150? That meant you could be attacked by level 220s. Lock your level to 149 and twink the character, and you will be a pvp demigod. (i think 187 was the highest that could attack 149)

Sector 10 heh.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Most commonly it was to farm sector 10, which is capped at 150. That area single handedly shat a crazy amount of credits into AO economy due to all the farming. It was nerfed some years back though.

e: :mad:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
gently caress credits, I sat on a 2b nest egg because I trolled some guy out of the game and he gave me two iGoCs, s10 was just hella fun.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why do I want to download this game again...

I remember downloading it years ago and rolled a MA. Totally forgot everything about that game but a bunch of guys I had no idea who they were, twinked me to poo poo and taught me the game again (which I've forgotten).

I wonder if that bot or what it was called is still active.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Every time I see this on the first page with a bunch of new replies I hope it is because of an emulated server.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MrBims posted:

Every time I see this on the first page with a bunch of new replies I hope it is because of an emulated server.

holy poo poo it's mrbims, how are you dude

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

By the way I'd just like to take a moment to say "gently caress you" to everyone who raised this thread from the dead. Now I wanna sub a month because I'm bored. You are not a very good support group for recovering AOists. Year and a half clean and it's nearly down the shitter because of you. :ughh:

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
The community is in rough shape right now, and a good number of us are just hanging around waiting for the engine upgrade. I spend a little time everyday listening to Gridstream, running missions, and just chatting with people. I think a good number of players went off to other games including The Secret World. I logged in over there last night to attend a Gridstream event, and it was fairly busy. The Secret World reminds me of The Matrix Online with Funcom touches in the artwork.

I haven't seen another member of my org in a week, and its become quite depressing...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So you actually play? Is the game viable for a froob? Think I have a 100 ish MA with crap gear I might fire up if there are friendly people who run group missions. I can't even remember if an MA can solo missions let alone what abilities I have...

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Fewd posted:

By the way I'd just like to take a moment to say "gently caress you" to everyone who raised this thread from the dead. Now I wanna sub a month because I'm bored. You are not a very good support group for recovering AOists. Year and a half clean and it's nearly down the shitter because of you. :ughh:

t:mad:t this thread, too.

I just don't have the time to get back into AO, but I'm tempted to relapse now and again.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MrBims posted:

poo poo, I'd play an emulated server if they changed it so the XP curve isn't such a buttfuck after ~50.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't think I ever made it past lvl 50 as the grind was way to awful.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
The space between TOTW and getting a heck team was awful.

poo poo I just want to go back to 8x8.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Every now and again, I think about going back, but then I remember the desolation of Bor, having a GA4 fixer for S10 with no bounties to harvest, two characters at 205+ with zero prospects of getting inf mish to level, and all the research levels left to go.

Lack of players is a rough obstacle to overcome.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So who has cracked and downloaded it again..

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I didn't! I'm alright again :shobon:

Friend called me a stupid oval office and then shittalked AO until I didn't want to play it any more. True friends that go all the way like that are rare. Also I took a quick look at AO sub prices and it's 18.5€ a month :lol:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Are froobs even allowed still? I just might crack and redownload but I can't find out for sure from google.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fewd posted:

I didn't! I'm alright again :shobon:

Friend called me a stupid oval office and then shittalked AO until I didn't want to play it any more. True friends that go all the way like that are rare. Also I took a quick look at AO sub prices and it's 18.5€ a month :lol:

They never dropped the price, a month costs the same now as it did 10 years ago. Biggest impediment to playing IMO.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Tai posted:

So who has cracked and downloaded it again..

I still have it on my computer from last time. I figure I'm either going to eventually crack and rejoin AO or EVE, it's just a matter of whether I want my balls crushed or my soul extracted.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Conskill posted:

I still have it on my computer from last time. I figure I'm either going to eventually crack and rejoin AO or EVE, it's just a matter of whether I want my balls crushed or my soul extracted.

I play EVE too :(

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ahh gently caress it, going to download it....

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Tai posted:

I play EVE too :(

Me too (not currently), also have played STO (not currently) and SWTOR (not currently). Clear pattern there :(

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
O god, all expansions and a month of game time for 15 BUX. gently caress..

And I forgot the game size is 1 GB. Ahh sheet

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Always sad to see a person spiral into despair and depression.

Don't do it man. Resist. You can do so much more with your life.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Here I'll help:

This game has a ridiculous sub fee AND a cash shop with an item that directly gives you XP when consumed.

It's poo poo, don't play it.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Here I'll help:

This game has a ridiculous sub fee AND a cash shop with an item that directly gives you XP when consumed.

It's poo poo, don't play it.

Heresy!

FFS the graphics engine is *almost* done! Have you seen the new heads, grass, and models? It's gonna be sweet. And I hear that they will combining the RK and SL zones for increased player density and use the STO enemy system so everybody can team together!

Ridiculous? I bet at least one of those ideas were considered by FC at one point.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I wish it was easier to level just by doing random poo poo on Rubi-Ka. There's got to be a ton of places I've not been just because I was either doing hecks or clicksaving for missions in Rome.

E: May be why the Engineer pistol questline is my favourite :3:

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 16, 2015

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

mfcrocker posted:

I wish it was easier to level just by doing random poo poo on Rubi-Ka. There's got to be a ton of places I've not been just because I was either doing hecks or clicksaving for missions in Rome.

E: May be why the Engineer pistol questline is my favourite :3:

I don't tend to be an aggressive leveler, so my play style is sort of "enjoy the game and level as it comes"... I can tell you that I am level 184 right now and I get a level every 2-3 days by just doing the daily mission. There is a mission shop in Old Athens and there must be an OT one on the other side. When I was lower in level the daily gave me a full level and it takes maybe 20 minutes.

I might be an anomaly here but I enjoy the world of Rubi-Ka for its artwork and story, and I like to socialize with other players and get wrapped up in the story with a little roleplay. The socializing is crap now because all of the good orgs have dissolved, and been replaced by froob orgs and people that don't even read the backstory.

Also, the pistol quest is pretty great! I remember when it wasn't available, and when they had to make a way for you to rebuilt your solar pistol that was thrown out long ago :)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

The engineer pistol quest was pretty loving awesome. Reminds me of the old epic quests in the early years of Everquest 1. The pistol quest did have some really aggressively unfun and horrible parts though, like those misty-filled jars or whatever they were called.

I imagine the medusa hippocampus is a pretty good cockblock too these days since it can't be easy to get a group for HI.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Tai posted:

O god, all expansions and a month of game time for 15 BUX. gently caress..

Where are you seeing this offer?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Also, the backyard beats the poo poo outta newb island

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

mfcrocker posted:

Also, the backyard beats the poo poo outta newb island

The Omni backyard was awesome. You start with Holodeck Shenanigans and then quickly transition to a highrise housing area where you can grab your apartment -- at the time AO released, this emphasized two of AO's unique and strong points.

Then newbie island happened and God only knows what they were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Conskill posted:

The Omni backyard was awesome. You start with Holodeck Shenanigans and then quickly transition to a highrise housing area where you can grab your apartment -- at the time AO released, this emphasized two of AO's unique and strong points.

It was superb. I actually really liked the Netural backyard.

Also, gently caress everyone trying to not resubscribe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjurbQnc6A

• Locked thread