Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

This is the mistake that Gore made and it probably cost him the election. I can't see Hillary making the same stupid mistake.

You sound like a DLC staffer. What you need to understand is, this is Bill's decision, final call.

Now, how do you think Bill will call it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

You sound like a DLC staffer. What you need to understand is, this is Bill's decision, final call.

Now, how do you think Bill will call it?

Yes, the Clintons are definitely the prototypical man calls the shots couple. Hillary will just timidly demure to whatever Bill thinks is best, lest she hurt her pretty little head with man thoughts.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Yes, the Clintons are definitely the prototypical man calls the shots couple. Hillary will just timidly demure to whatever Bill thinks is best, lest she hurt her pretty little head with man thoughts.

Bill Clinton: A man to be trusted not to stick his nose where it don't belong.

If you think Bill is easily sidelined on campaign issues, you've learned nothing from '08.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you think Bill is easily sidelined on campaign issues, you've learned nothing from '08.

Bill Clinton is going to be Bill Clinton, but Hillary is going to be making final calls and decisions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
How will we ever deal with a comical politician with no actual power, but influence with the President?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm nat as politically astute as some in this thread but, I don't see why Bill would object to Obama's help. Is there some animosity there that isn't public knowledge?

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

radical meme posted:

I'm nat as politically astute as some in this thread but, I don't see why Bill would object to Obama's help. Is there some animosity there that isn't public knowledge?

Clinton and Obama were on pretty bad terms during 2008, but I'm 100% certain bill would be for whatever he perceives will help Hillary win. He's a pragmatic guy when it comes down to it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

"He's luckier than a dog with two dicks" is such an endearing phrase. One could say that there's even a 'Blood Fued' between the two.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

"He's luckier than a dog with two dicks" is such an endearing phrase. One could say that there's even a 'Blood Fued' between the two.

That probably really is a compliment in Arkansas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm pretty sure that Obama and Bill would french kiss each other on stage at the national convention if they thought it would help the next nominee's election chances.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

radical meme posted:

That probably really is a compliment in Arkansas.

Yeah, that's just a regular Good Ole Boy saying, not a stealth putdown. When a Southerner wants to insult someone to their face, they get way more passive aggressive than that.

Bill could certainly gently caress up a Hillary nomination, but he's got access to way more creative ways than that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eternalname posted:

Clinton and Obama were on pretty bad terms during 2008, but I'm 100% certain bill would be for whatever he perceives will help Hillary win. He's a pragmatic guy when it comes down to it.

There's also talk that Bill being so active during 2012 was so Obama would do the same in 2016.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

I should hope you get a little pissy at the dude destroying your wife's coronation march to the White House. If there remains some Blood Feud between them, they certainly keep it under wraps well enough that it sure as poo poo isn't going to affect the 2016 election.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, just wait until all these potential Hillary voters hear about this "Bill" guy she's married to.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Yeah, just wait until all these potential Hillary voters hear about this "Bill" guy she's married to.

'Married to Ayers' doesn't air until '16, Joe, no need to pull a d'Souza and jump the gun.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Obama's approval rating is intersting because the recent uptick is undoubtedly due to the perception of him acting on issues after multiple years of inaction from Congress, but action also creates division. If you do things, some people will not like those things. He'll need to continue acting while walking the line of not acting too much to sustain those numbers.

I'm not really worried about moderates thinking Obama is too divisive. In two years, the economy will look better, he will have plenty of opportunities to appease his base by vetoing Republican measures, and his party will have an easier time winning back seats as the underdog. The radicalization of the republican party is gonna hurt them badly in 2016, as twitter and god knows what social media becomes even more prevalent, which makes it easier to spread video clips about views on "legitimate rape" and what the rich really think about the poor.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

swampcow posted:

I'm not really worried about moderates thinking Obama is too divisive. In two years, the economy will look better, he will have plenty of opportunities to appease his base by vetoing Republican measures, and his party will have an easier time winning back seats as the underdog. The radicalization of the republican party is gonna hurt them badly in 2016, as twitter and god knows what social media becomes even more prevalent, which makes it easier to spread video clips about views on "legitimate rape" and what the rich really think about the poor.

'The economy will look better' is quite the optimistic prediction. Two years of a Republican House and Senate, I'm drat uncertain how the economy will look for anything except for growing wealth inequality, deflationary forces in non-personal spending (healthcare, education), and wage stagnation.

Worsening economy means that Obama gets blamed for vetoing regressive proposals of Republicans and gets blamed by the base for not vetoing enough.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Gyges posted:

I should hope you get a little pissy at the dude destroying your wife's coronation march to the White House. If there remains some Blood Feud between them, they certainly keep it under wraps well enough that it sure as poo poo isn't going to affect the 2016 election.

I'm not sure "a little pissy" does it justice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Warszawa posted:

It certainly did turn rather ugly, but the particular quote I was responding to is barely even pissy. "luckier than a dog with two dicks" doesn't start a night at the bar feud, let along a blood feud.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

I don't know where this is coming from. Hillary Clinton was the Secretary of State. It's a chief position in the white house you don't sit in for years with a poor working relationship with your boss. I like to think that Bill Clinton is pragmatic, understands realpolitik, and adult enough at this point in his life to drop whatever grudge he held back in 2008 at Obama. Edit: Maybe they don't like each other, but that's fine. Grudge? Cmon now.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 16, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

bpower posted:

Remember Ryan refusing to say how he was going to fill the holes in his budget because it would take too long to explain or some poo poo? If a candidate said that in any other country it would be devastating. The US press just shrugged their shoulders and moved on. Bizarre.

No you see, he's a numbers wonk, it's too wonky for you to understand, he's wonky, wonk wonk. Wonk.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

'The economy will look better' is quite the optimistic prediction. Two years of a Republican House and Senate, I'm drat uncertain how the economy will look for anything except for growing wealth inequality, deflationary forces in non-personal spending (healthcare, education), and wage stagnation.

Worsening economy means that Obama gets blamed for vetoing regressive proposals of Republicans and gets blamed by the base for not vetoing enough.

It's quite likely the economy will continue to recover because the EU is hell bent on doing the worst things possible politically, meaning the money seeking a safe harbor after any European crisis (which is a lot more likely to happen than an American one in the next two years) will be coming right back to the States. Also, since gas costs something like a third of what it does in Europe, cheap oil benefits the US consumer much more than a European in percentage terms.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

My Imaginary GF posted:

people said basically the same thing about hillary when bill was president. 08 was essentially, bill is a smart guy, used to be the most powerful man in the world, and he's used to getting a seat at the table. hillary's top advisors were actively working to push him out of the decision-making structure (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) but they themselves were so busy fighting turf wars with each other that bill ended up freaking out and going off on his own.

i would definitely not describe it as "it's bill's call" whatsoever. presidential campaigns don't function that way. no one gets veto power except the candidate, and bill got overruled many times during both hillary's senate campaign and her presidential campaign.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Is there a thread where we make fun of the Democratic primary?

Because I want to see Hillary and whoever Obama backs eat each other alive in the primary and laugh.

i sincerely doubt obama will back anyone in the 2016 primary. he will endorse the democrat for the general.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Adar posted:

It's quite likely the economy will continue to recover because the EU is hell bent on doing the worst things possible politically, meaning the money seeking a safe harbor after any European crisis (which is a lot more likely to happen than an American one in the next two years) will be coming right back to the States. Also, since gas costs something like a third of what it does in Europe, cheap oil benefits the US consumer much more than a European in percentage terms.

The Eurozone is the largest economy in the world (and the US's third-largest export market) and any Eurozone meltdowns will likely cause major problems for the US economy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

baw posted:

The Eurozone is the largest economy in the world and any Eurozone meltdowns will likely cause major problems in the US.

yeah i don't see how the US escapes suffering from eurozone issues. money fleeing to the US isn't all that useful since the US already has plenty of capital but lacks demand to fill with it. reducing our overseas market is not advantageous to us.

it would be very nice if the economy continued to recover but i'm personally betting we will see at least a minor recession by then.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slate Action posted:

Yeah but Paul Ryan met the minimum requirement for presentability, in that Joe Sixpack couldn't immediately tell he was a moron. Remember when a bunch of media outlets agreed that Ryan '''''won''''' that debate?

Those exact same outlets said Palin won her debates, and was actually a maverick who refused to play by establishment rules and was actually giving great answers or some bullshit. Right wing propaganda places will dispense right wing propaganda and don't care about the facts. There's a reason mouth breathers still hang on her every word, and it ain't cause she's just that charismatic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Anecdotally, quite a few people who think Obama is a secret Muslim suddenly like him because gas is cheap, while remaining unchanged in their opinion of his hidden religious views.

So Obama just needs to keep crippling Russia's economy until the election and even Hillary could win in traditionally red states that have been trained to growl when they hear the name Clinton.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah, we talk about the uptick of Obama's approval rating because of him "taking a stand" but perhaps it's more to do with gas prices...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ohgodwhat posted:

Yeah, we talk about the uptick of Obama's approval rating because of him "taking a stand" but perhaps it's more to do with gas prices...

I don't have it handy but pretend this is a picture of the political cartoon with the "Gas" and "Economy" levers or whatever. That stuff cuts both ways, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Something like 80% of a President's approval rating can be explained from the rise and fall of gasoline prices.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

OP of the politoons thread, now and forever.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Has a sitting president ever backed a candidate of his party at primary stage? Apart from saying a serving VP would be "a good choice", has a president ever committed more at a primary stage? I can't remember examples.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, now that Ebola and ISIS aren't the big news stories his approval is ticking up. Americans basically are happiest when they think the President is successfully controlling the world and being a BOLD LEADER without inconveniencing them in any way.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
RNC sanctioned debate schedule:

1. Fox News, August 2015, Ohio
2. CNN, September 2015, California
3. CNBC, October 2015, Colorado
4. Fox Business, November 2015, Wisconsin
5. CNN, December 2015, Nevada
6. Fox News, January 2016, Iowa
7. ABC News, February 2016, New Hampshire
8. CBS News, February 2016, South Carolina
9. NBC/Telemundo, February 2016, Florida

Three additional debates are pending: A Fox News debate in March 2016, a CNN debate in March 2016 and a conservative media debate.

No MSNBC debates, quelle surprise!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

What happened to the RNC trying to minimize the number of debates?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

baw posted:

What happened to the RNC trying to minimize the number of debates?

Getting front row tickets to the circus, I'd imagine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

RNC sanctioned debate schedule:

1. Fox News, August 2015, Ohio
2. CNN, September 2015, California
3. CNBC, October 2015, Colorado
4. Fox Business, November 2015, Wisconsin
5. CNN, December 2015, Nevada
6. Fox News, January 2016, Iowa
7. ABC News, February 2016, New Hampshire
8. CBS News, February 2016, South Carolina
9. NBC/Telemundo, February 2016, Florida

Three additional debates are pending: A Fox News debate in March 2016, a CNN debate in March 2016 and a conservative media debate.

No MSNBC debates, quelle surprise!

Oh gently caress yes :getin:

Could it possibly be as magical and wonderful as it was in the halcyon days of 2013? Will there ever be another Space Admiral Bachmann in our hearts?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, there were 20 sanctioned debates in 2012 and that doesn't count Frank Luntz's Thanksgiving Cornucopia of Family Values or the Newt vs. Huntsman and Newt vs. Cain "debates". So, they're cutting down on the total number.

But the goal wasn't so much limiting the number of debates as it was limiting the number hosted by Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow. They appear to have succeeded there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are they going to follow through on the idea to have guys like Mark Levin and Rush moderate some of these debates?

• Locked thread