Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
whoa everybody ease up on Urban Smurf he is a protected species itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

homullus posted:

There's nothing wrong with MS Paint for context, it's a good tool for showing relationships that you don't have an image at hand for. Your posts are kind of free-association riffing on the verses and images. I think they're pretty far-fetched, but good brainstorming usually produces some far-fetched stuff. I would enjoy it if you continued to post, as long as it's fun for you to do so.

Me too.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I cant gravitate too much to one main idea with these puzzles. Its not me being schizo, its sure looks schizo tho, and I put that on the puzzle design, which is a bunch of blended mythical, cultural, local, and historic business. Theres surely a mainline cultural theme, but lets face it, those fair folk were swingers. The book says they made efforts to blend in with their Indian counterparts.

Milwaukee really bust some balls. There's still little agreement on anything. Some folks seem to think Mitchell Hall on Kenwood street is the focus of the first lines of verse. I think the Mitchell mansion on 9th and Wells St. fits much better. I like the Wells connection. I even like H.G.'s description of the futuristic Morlocks, which were smallish people...like dwarves. I try working with that idea but then find myself using a practical compass and map concept only to be swallowed whole by the combine of ballet, rock polishing/tumbling, and chambermaids/footmen.

Crashdome, tell us whats going on over there in Milwaukee. Got a picture of the K-man's right boot yet?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I thought I mentioned before but, maybe not... the reason I travelled up Lincoln Avenue is no longer so I haven't actually been up that way in over a year. If I do, I promise I will attempt to get a picture as best I can without performing gymnastic feats.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get a picture of the top of his boot unless I had a 12 foot ladder with me though..

e: As far as Milwaukee, I know there are a few others out there actively using ground radar. There may have been some digging but, I wasn't involved. I've been waiting for some 1980's aerial imagery to verify buildings and landscaping just to eliminate the overwhelming number of "clues" we have. There's different directions and about 3 very good possibilities for each verse at a minimum so... it's been really hard to have it all click into place. My guess is because the visual part of Milwaukee is very different than it was in 1981.

I will say, no joke, I was standing on East Wells and Milwaukee street waiting for the bus one day and from there you could look west down a hill and see the statue of he "harpsichord" woman on the Theater, City Hall, and the parking structure with the pattern. I wasn't actively thinking about the treasure hunt and suddenly everything went all slow motion like in the movies and I just had that feeling like I should just forget everything else. Actively start looking. I'd follow some path and it would all click into place.

Instead I got on the bus and went about my business.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 11, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

crashdome posted:

I thought I mentioned before but, maybe not... the reason I travelled up Lincoln Avenue is no longer so I haven't actually been up that way in over a year. If I do, I promise I will attempt to get a picture as best I can without performing gymnastic feats.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get a picture of the top of his boot unless I had a 12 foot ladder with me though..

So you're saying that it's possible, right?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Nocheez posted:

So you're saying that it's possible, right?

You could easily do it in the evening when no one is really paying attention to some idiot climbing a statue because of all the general crime going on.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

crashdome posted:

You could easily do it in the evening when no one is really paying attention to some idiot climbing a statue because of all the general crime going on.

Sounds exactly like what Priess had in mind when he made the other two puzzles we solved. Good work!

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Thanks crashdome! I would like to consider that harpsichord lady, its probably the most sane fit we have available. As for the K statue, it shouldnt require climbing, but I wonder how close Preiss' camera wouldve been if he had stood upon one of the benches that use to be on either side. Or did they bring the benches back?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Urban Smurf posted:

As for the K statue, it shouldnt require climbing, but I wonder how close Preiss' camera wouldve been if he had stood upon one of the benches that use to be on either side. Or did they bring the benches back?

Yeah... no climbing required...

Reg718
Jan 4, 2015
Just have a general question about the NY. I have tried to look through all the posts regarding NY on here for info on Leif Ericson. I haven't seen all posts but in the ones I have seen I don't see him mentioned. My question is, has anyone considered Leif Ericson park in Brooklyn? It is located on Fort Hamilton Parkway (indies native) and I read online that people struggle with the exact spelling of his name, there is actually 3 different spellings (him of hard word in 3 Vols)? The park Id located about 20-25 blocks from Verrazano bridge (shadow of grey giant) and its visible. I am going to look in park this weekend. I still lean more towards shore rd. park or Jpj park. But this is just something I stumbled on. Anyone else have info on Leif Ericson

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The best way to play is to go to the park and see if you can find image matches and word matches to the verse.

That's it, learning more about Lief Ericson is not going to help you.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I would doubt very much that all of those clues in the verse all refer to Hamilton. He's unlikely to be both the Indies Native spoken of by the sign, and He of Hard word in 3 Vols.

Also I'm working from memory but the word Nearby is capitalized. That's probably important as well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Or that verse is based on an assumption of a grey giant being NYC, and it could be a totally different verse.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
That's very true, and I'll say this again, regardless of Liberty Island which I think is a cute little pet theory but I have no REAL evidence for, there is a pretty common theme that the first line in the poem does not relate to a specific place you should be standing.

"In the shadow of the grey giant" in my opinion, if it refers to NYC, could just as easily mean "in the shadow of Manhattan/NYC" in much the same way that "Pass two friends of Octave/In December" does not refer to Roanoke NC in any way.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

xie posted:

I would doubt very much that all of those clues in the verse all refer to Hamilton. He's unlikely to be both the Indies Native spoken of by the sign, and He of Hard word in 3 Vols.

Also I'm working from memory but the word Nearby is capitalized. That's probably important as well.

Reg718 is suggesting Leif Ericson as him of hard word, not Hamilton for both.

Reg718
Jan 4, 2015
Megaman, I tot agree, best way to get info is to get out there and look. I will be checking out Leif Ericson park this weekend. I have been to shore road park, jpj park and a few others in the Bensonhurst/Dyker area of Brooklyn. All close by where I live. I'm still not sure it is here but if I had to say at this point, my guess bet is shore road park. That being said, I was just wondering if anybody had gone over the Leif Ericson theory before and was wonders what they found.

Xie, like Merlot said, I was referring to Ericson as he of hard word, not Hamilton. I'm convinced Hamilton is the Indies native. Most people (the natives) are not sure of exact spelling of his name(hard word) and I seem to find 3 different spellings for it they agree on(in 3 Vols). I know it's a stretch, but so far most of the info on the supposed NY casque is a stretch. And this park is located on Fort Hamilton Parwakway. So the sign nearby speaks of Indies native.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
is there a particular reason why cask 12 is married to nyc? the evidence that is posted in the second post seems rather unconvincing. is it just the eagle or is there anything more concrete?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Concerned Citizen posted:

is there a particular reason why cask 12 is married to nyc? the evidence that is posted in the second post seems rather unconvincing. is it just the eagle or is there anything more concrete?

The woman has the same face as the Statue of Liberty and her robe is shaped like southern Manhattan.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Monkey Man posted:

The woman has the same face as the Statue of Liberty and her robe is shaped like southern Manhattan.

oh, that makes sense. is there a place where all this stuff is up again? the wiki link in the op seems to be dead

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Image 12? Most everyone seems to agree its Statue of Liberty. Its difficult to say its tied to NY anymore than WA, because a similar installation was placed at Alki Point near Seattle. The book map claims one of the Fair Folk cultures to place a jewel was Russian in origin. Its possible they were Rusalki Folk as the book describes.

http://m.seattlepi.com/local/article/Sea-Scout-leader-recalls-unveiling-of-Alki-s-Lady-1169719.php

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
anyway, this is my very ill-researched theory for cask 12. i wish i had more info to look at previous solutions but i'll just give it a whirl anyway.

most of the poem is fairly literal. the grey giant is a literal large statue and many of the directions are straightforward. in this case, columbus circle makes some sense. the grey giant is the giant 70ft statue of christopher columbus on a pedestal.

1. the object in the shadow of the grey giant is the uss maine monument, just across the street in central park. the statue has multiple arms that "extend."

here's a google street view that has both monuments in view (the top of the uss maine is cut off in this photo)

2. the uss maine and columbus square fit the sea motif going on in the image that accompanies the poem.

3. the area is a major tourist spot and likely also was in 1980. "in summer you'll often hear a whirring sound" doesn't refer to the cars - it refers to ye olde analog cameras that made whirring noises when you shot a photo. summer is a major tourist season for nyc.

4. major traffic area. although honestly that could basically be anywhere in manhattan. but the cars certainly abound here.

5. the indies & natives could refer to either columbus' interactions with natives (who still have a lot to say about him) or uss maine's position in cuba (west indies) when it was destroyed. who knows! the verse here claims there is a sign but i have no idea if that is the case.

6. the monument is right next to central park and honestly, if you're going to bury something in manhattan, wouldn't central park be the place you'd pick? yes, it's a fairly obvious place but that's not the worst thing.

that would mean the rest of the instructions are to narrow down the location to a very specific point. possibly referring to the road structure - "east steps" could refer to east dr., for example. or rhapsodic soil could be related to rumsey playfield, which numerous plays and musical performances take place. who knows! one of the downsides of central park is that you can probably fit anything in there if you try hard enough.

of course, since this is a lovely theory there are unanswered questions that don't fit:

a. what is isle of b? there's certainly nothing that matches that near the area i've pinpointed. it could either be a. something farther away, once you've followed the cryptic directions a bit farther or b. completely unrelated and this entire theory is hilariously wrong. but truthfully there are basically no "isles of b" near nyc that make sense. in the chicago solve, every initialism was literally that - "L" referred to Lincoln, etc.

b. the uss maine monument does feature multiple arms extending, but not over a slender path. however, columbus circle was renovated several years ago and this particular spot might have been modified as well at some point to accommodate additional tourists.

c. of all the casks, one in manhattan is least likely to survive over the years. if it was here, it's probably long gone. also, central park is no longer a den of crime so you probably can't get away with just wantonly digging the thing up even if it was there.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 16, 2015

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Preiss said there isn't a cask in Central Park, though the Maine monument isn't an unheard of theory. There's a fairly 'complete' one floating around out there that ends in some sandy soil, but it's pretty off limits either way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
NYC cask was buried on top on WTC7. Now we know why the govt did a demolition.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Jet fuel doesn't melt ceramic

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

xie posted:

Preiss said there isn't a cask in Central Park, though the Maine monument isn't an unheard of theory. There's a fairly 'complete' one floating around out there that ends in some sandy soil, but it's pretty off limits either way.

what a shame. half of it seemed pretty elegant :smith:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Waltzing Along posted:

NYC cask was buried on top on WTC7. Now we know why the govt did a demolition.

preiss did 9/11

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

anyway, this is my very ill-researched theory for cask 12. i wish i had more info to look at previous solutions but i'll just give it a whirl anyway.

most of the poem is fairly literal. the grey giant is a literal large statue and many of the directions are straightforward. in this case, columbus circle makes some sense. the grey giant is the giant 70ft statue of christopher columbus on a pedestal.

1. the object in the shadow of the grey giant is the uss maine monument, just across the street in central park. the statue has multiple arms that "extend."

here's a google street view that has both monuments in view (the top of the uss maine is cut off in this photo)

2. the uss maine and columbus square fit the sea motif going on in the image that accompanies the poem.

3. the area is a major tourist spot and likely also was in 1980. "in summer you'll often hear a whirring sound" doesn't refer to the cars - it refers to ye olde analog cameras that made whirring noises when you shot a photo. summer is a major tourist season for nyc.

4. major traffic area. although honestly that could basically be anywhere in manhattan. but the cars certainly abound here.

5. the indies & natives could refer to either columbus' interactions with natives (who still have a lot to say about him) or uss maine's position in cuba (west indies) when it was destroyed. who knows! the verse here claims there is a sign but i have no idea if that is the case.

6. the monument is right next to central park and honestly, if you're going to bury something in manhattan, wouldn't central park be the place you'd pick? yes, it's a fairly obvious place but that's not the worst thing.

that would mean the rest of the instructions are to narrow down the location to a very specific point. possibly referring to the road structure - "east steps" could refer to east dr., for example. or rhapsodic soil could be related to rumsey playfield, which numerous plays and musical performances take place. who knows! one of the downsides of central park is that you can probably fit anything in there if you try hard enough.

of course, since this is a lovely theory there are unanswered questions that don't fit:

a. what is isle of b? there's certainly nothing that matches that near the area i've pinpointed. it could either be a. something farther away, once you've followed the cryptic directions a bit farther or b. completely unrelated and this entire theory is hilariously wrong. but truthfully there are basically no "isles of b" near nyc that make sense. in the chicago solve, every initialism was literally that - "L" referred to Lincoln, etc.

b. the uss maine monument does feature multiple arms extending, but not over a slender path. however, columbus circle was renovated several years ago and this particular spot might have been modified as well at some point to accommodate additional tourists.

c. of all the casks, one in manhattan is least likely to survive over the years. if it was here, it's probably long gone. also, central park is no longer a den of crime so you probably can't get away with just wantonly digging the thing up even if it was there.

How would you say the Columbus circle area is like a sea? A sea of loving rear end in a top hat tourists maybe, but that's about it.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Urban Smurf posted:

Image 12? Most everyone seems to agree its Statue of Liberty. Its difficult to say its tied to NY anymore than WA, because a similar installation was placed at Alki Point near Seattle. The book map claims one of the Fair Folk cultures to place a jewel was Russian in origin. Its possible they were Rusalki Folk as the book describes.

http://m.seattlepi.com/local/article/Sea-Scout-leader-recalls-unveiling-of-Alki-s-Lady-1169719.php

I just recently moved to Edmonds from White Center. That statue is still there on Alki. If anyone has any questions about the Seattle area, let me know. I can get around on foot and take pictures.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Kingnothing posted:

How would you say the Columbus circle area is like a sea? A sea of loving rear end in a top hat tourists maybe, but that's about it.

well it's irrelevant since it's not that area, but I meant the "grey giant" (i.e. the columbus statue) not the entire area. obviously columbus is most famous for his voyage to the new world and the pedestal has several ship reliefs sticking out of it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Bina posted:

I just recently moved to Edmonds from White Center. That statue is still there on Alki. If anyone has any questions about the Seattle area, let me know. I can get around on foot and take pictures.

i think it would be a hilarious troll if it were meant to be a replica of the statue of liberty rather than the actual one. but i dunno if that area fits any of the other clues.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Hey just wondering if there is a record of the dude getting busted for digging in a park? i want to laugh at him and see how badly he got punished for being a treasure hunter.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Surely with the wide variety of people we've got here, someone has the ability to run a criminal background check on a dead man?!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OctoberBlues posted:

Surely with the wide variety of people we've got here, someone has the ability to run a criminal background check on a dead man?!

Who, Priess? What would that accomplish?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I'm 99.99% sure he meant the moron in Boston. I don't think he was arrested, just warned, and I don't know where to find the blotter/report

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

I think they mean the Goober who went in an attempted a go on Xie's spot.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

i think it would be a hilarious troll if it were meant to be a replica of the statue of liberty rather than the actual one. but i dunno if that area fits any of the other clues.

Do you think this treasure hunt is easy?

The Fair Folk puzzles are set as a challenge to Man so that their hidden jewels may be recovered by someone who is clever and pays attention to their surroundings. Every idiot knows about the NY statue of Liberty. Locals to the Seattle area would be foolish to ignore the prospects of the Alki Point Lady Liberty.

It still surprises me to think the Cleveland locals let some carpetbagger hunters from NY/NJ beat them to the Grecian Gardens cask, which at this point looks so obvious a location. Fact is, locals in a preGoogle era had the advantage. If Image 12 isn't NY, then its WA.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

It still surprises me to think the Cleveland locals let some carpetbagger hunters from NY/NJ beat them to the Grecian Gardens cask, which at this point looks so obvious a location. Fact is, locals in a preGoogle era had the advantage. If Image 12 isn't NY, then its WA.

So I think this raises an interesting point, when combined with xie's "Polaroid" approach. Since Preiss figured they'd all be found quickly, I think he thought the same thing: locals first, then puzzle-philic tourists would find them. I wonder whether AAA (or similar) city guides from 1980 are around? He might have used them to decide what things would be "prominent enough" in cities he wasn't intimately familiar with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

homullus posted:

I wonder whether AAA (or similar) city guides from 1980 are around? He might have used them to decide what things would be "prominent enough" in cities he wasn't intimately familiar with.

That is an excellent idea.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Urban Smurf posted:

Do you think this treasure hunt is easy?

The Fair Folk puzzles are set as a challenge to Man so that their hidden jewels may be recovered by someone who is clever and pays attention to their surroundings. Every idiot knows about the NY statue of Liberty. Locals to the Seattle area would be foolish to ignore the prospects of the Alki Point Lady Liberty.

well, there are hundreds of statue of liberty replicas. why not one of them? why WA?

edit: why not the one in webster, MA? it even has more matches.

hey look this sign nearby

not saying it's webster, but if we're going with statue of liberty replicas that would be it. but it also would be a loving ridiculous puzzle because no one on earth is like, wow the statue of liberty face. must be the lovely, cheap replica on the harbor rather than the actual one in new york city.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

homullus posted:

So I think this raises an interesting point, when combined with xie's "Polaroid" approach. Since Preiss figured they'd all be found quickly, I think he thought the same thing: locals first, then puzzle-philic tourists would find them. I wonder whether AAA (or similar) city guides from 1980 are around? He might have used them to decide what things would be "prominent enough" in cities he wasn't intimately familiar with.

This was my idea while scouting around San Francisco. I tried to think of what a tourist would be drawn to. Ghirardelli Square is a great starting place, and there is a battery close by and a park at Fort Mason where you can see the Golden Gate bridge from. I would not doubt that the wrong verse has been used and is a dead end.