Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So how is this game Pay-2-Win if you have to pay to play it at the moment anyway? Can you buy more Drops yet with Smedbux? How much does a drop cost? Why is the internet full of turdbucket moron gamers and why do they flock to zombie MMO games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Three guys tried to axe me a question, but my shotgun had other ideas.

So far it seems to lack the character of DayZ, and it looks poo poo. It does run considerably better, though.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
So I see a lot of crying about airdrops and broken promises yada yada, but think about how sweet it's going to be to kill someone that has just spent money on items. Dying sucks, but dying after you've just dropped $$? That's going to sting.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
There's also a post from smedley on the reddit about it with some pretty hilarious replies about how poo poo-ily and consistently he lies.

kcer fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 16, 2015

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Yeah Smed tried to take the "suck it up" approach initially and the backlash is so huge I'm predicting a furious backpedal.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I just played for a couple hours. Decided to quit cause I really need to sleep and I died to some guy after getting decently geared up and the game was lagging horribly. It's happened a couple times where interacting with anything either doesn't work or takes forever as if I'm desyncing from the server. I was alive for pretty much the entire two hours that I played. I discovered a hunting rifle early on but no ammo.

Some things I've discovered so far:

You can combine blackberries with purified water to make blackberry juice. In fact, blackberries will boost your hydration and energy by a small amount but if you can collect a lot of them it adds up.
Scraps of cloth have several uses so scrap whatever extra tshirts or caps you find. With 6 you can make a satchel which gives you a 300 more carrying capacity. They can also be used to make makeshift bows with wood sticks.
Scraps of metal can be made into makeshift hatchets with wood sticks.
Break up the large wooden boxes because sometimes you find stuff in them.
RIght now there really isn't much loot in cabinets or anything. I think I found one item in a cabinet the entire time I was playing and that was through searching roughly 50-75 of them. Most of the stuff I found was just laying out in the open.

I really don't get the point of the recipe system. On the PVP servers you lose recipes when you die but if you remember this stuff you're not really losing anything. Once you find the items to create it you can discover the recipe anyway.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Smedley's carefree-I-don't-give-a-gently caress approach has always been a source for comedy. We got EA, "p2w", a zombie survival game, SOE and of course, smedley. It's the recipe for a perfect shitstorm so sit back and enjoy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Has any of these zombie survival games left early access yet? This has to be the breaking point right? This has to be the game that will break the camels back and stop this poo poo. (It won't because people are idiots and keep buying this trash)

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Has any of these zombie survival games left early access yet? This has to be the breaking point right? This has to be the game that will break the camels back and stop this poo poo. (It won't because people are idiots and keep buying this trash)

Until the next pile which everyone will buy into as quickly as they can because it's going to be epic unlike the last dozen of these wastes of time

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Nether did. And it was poo poo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Nether did. And it was poo poo.
Which one was that one?
I remember there was one set in a city with NPC factions or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Croccers posted:

Which one was that one?
I remember there was one set in a city with NPC factions or something.

It was the one set in a city with these teleporting monsters. I remember it surprising the hell out of everyone because it left Early access pretty quickly and you could tell that the game wasn't finished.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I just watched a guy on Twitch walk up behind a bear and punch its rear end for two minutes until it died. The bear just sat there.

Looks like a SOE game to me.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Posting recipes:

Wooden Arrow - 1 stick
Makeshift Bow - cloth and a stick
Punji Sticks - 8 sticks

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I played for a few hours right after the launch and I liked it. It's not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. After some practice I could avoid zombies for the most part, killing one here and there with the bow, moving through towns vacuuming up loot. I didn't have a chance to make any structures, but after playing ArmA-based games for the last couple of weeks, the interface feels good, and it seems to have more content than the current iteration of Rust.

Bummer that it's SOE we have to count on here, but I am sure I'll get 20 bucks out of it.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Battle royale looks fun as hell.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

It was. I just played half an hour of it. Found an axe. Heard a car. The driver chased me around a tree for like 10 minutes when I decided to lure him into a barn and hit his car with my axe. He won.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Trip report:

This game has nothing to offer that Rust/DayZ or even WarZ have. It's just a weird mix of all three, another boring hiking simulator with bugged zombies that do nothing and like 95% of the containers have no loot, and the ones that do are filled with junk. Airdrops are sadly probably the best way to get guns/ammo atm, so yeah, it actually is pretty p2w, unless you get a group and hunt other players for their guns actively. I played with some goons and it wasn't "bad" it was just pretty boring city looting with killing a few random pubs, the exact same thing you'd do in the other games. I feel like, sadly, the best game mechanically is actually WarZ/Infestation atm, it's basically L4D and DayZ combined, which is actually fun, but it's sadly ruined by lovely decisions with the market and a poo poo ton of hackers. Some day maybe this game will be good, today is not that day. The map is extremely boring. Losing all of your food bar every 5 minutes is tedious as gently caress too.

It's definitely an early access game, save your money if you don't enjoy dicking around in a new game.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gotta admire SOE's chutzpah on this whole thing, 20$ for early access to a freemium game, it's really quite incredible.

Like seriously, if other EA titles charge years in advance for a game that might never be finished with the extra privilege of testing the product during its development in this case SOE is charging you strictly for testing their product as the game itself will be freemium, and p2w. And if you don't think that this game will become even more p2w in the future, with the crates being harder to contest and/or giving greater benefits to the player who purchased them you're much less cynical then I am.

I was somewhat excited for this release but I really can't bring myself to pay for this thing. Keep us posted if it does become the first zombie-survival-fps game that is actually good though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Like seriously, if other EA titles charge years in advance for a game that might never be finished with the extra privilege of testing the product during its development in this case SOE is charging you strictly for testing their product as the game itself will be freemium, and p2w.

This isn't exclusive to SOE mind you. This is actually kinda the status quo for EA, Kickstarter, "Alpha", "Beta", etc games.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Vehicles handle 100x better than DayZ

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'd have hoped that SOE could come up with more than a "slightly less janky DayZ" but oh well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ahahaha, just saw an article about the P2W complaints so I came to find the thread.

Sony is shamelessly milking the ZOMBIES ONLINE cow and to be honest I can't blame them. I hope they make millions on these idiots because eventually you have to stop blaming the con men and start blaming the idiots who give them money time after time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It was the one set in a city with these teleporting monsters. I remember it surprising the hell out of everyone because it left Early access pretty quickly and you could tell that the game wasn't finished.

Nether? Yeah Nether sucks

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is what you'd expect from an SOE Early access game

but I still had fun with it last night

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
FREE TO PLAY. YOUR WAY. *

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

8 european servers!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Stanley Pain posted:

This isn't exclusive to SOE mind you. This is actually kinda the status quo for EA, Kickstarter, "Alpha", "Beta", etc games.

I really think Valve needs to clamp down on this poo poo.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

this is a mediocre berry picking simulator

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
How can I loot the people I murder? A guy was flashing a pistol at me, so I acted friendly until he started looting stuff and then brained him with a branch. Tried mashing e everywhere by his corpse but there was nothing there and the body disappeared after like 15 seconds.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Played for 2 hours. Saw 5 zombies and around 100 players. Couldn't find a single piece of scrap metal or really anything other berries and various forms of wood. I did find a single multi-vitamin after searching over 200 empty containers.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Bloodmobile posted:

How can I loot the people I murder? A guy was flashing a pistol at me, so I acted friendly until he started looting stuff and then brained him with a branch. Tried mashing e everywhere by his corpse but there was nothing there and the body disappeared after like 15 seconds.

If it's the same as killing zombies a little bag should appear with stuff in it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Eonwe posted:

game is what you'd expect from an SOE Early access game

Which we now know is the same quality as their launch day titles! :suicide:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
logged in last night

chased a deer in front of the police station
zombies chase deer
i run inside loot a shotgun and 30-40 shells

im a badass

walk down the road at night
a bear runs up in the darkness and kills me in two hits

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Bloodmobile posted:

You KoS assholes ruin my immersion.

I want to farm loving berries and sticks.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Bloodmobile posted:

and then brained him with a branch.

And people wonder why we're all hopelessly addicted to this genre.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Game really isn't that bad. Yes, EA version is super rough, but the engine itself is infinitely better than DayZ or I:SS. The potential is here, assuming :soe: don't cock it up, which they definitely might.

Over all, has the most potential for social play and teamwork compared to many other games because of how inventory and building/fortifying works. When they add the additional agricultural/construction etc features it will be nice. Combat was reasonably fluid if buggy which is to be expected. Also vehicle handling is good, crafting is fairly intuitive with good variety of loot and recipes. Items in nature like berries/sticks/cloth are abundant. It's easy to establish a baseline level of equipment and then experiment further. You can completely lumber trees to make planks then construct various primitive walls, etc right now. I think it's quite fun, really. Frustrating with lack of polish but that is expected. It has potential for a lot of goony fun.

IMO, we definitely can't complain about bugs, loot, etc, because those will be fixed. The core mechanics are there, and most of them work. Bugs and wonky behaviors/mechanics don't bother me because they get fixed, I sort of knew to expect them with EA.

Such is my opinion.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 16, 2015

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Ran along a road until I came upon a gas station. Some zombies and a guy looting dumpsters in the back. Immediately ran up to said guy and started hilariously fist-fighting until I lost and was told to "get hosed". Yup, it's another survival game. Why do I keep coming back? It's a buggy piece of poo poo but already miles ahead of DayZ, which has so many problems that no patch can fix.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

rizuhbull posted:

. Why do I keep coming back?

Because once things get up and running to a semi decent degree and everyone gets a feel for the mechanics this poo poo is fun.

So what's with the Reddit sperg over name plates? Do you really see a username on top of someone at all times? Kinda sucks for snipers/stealth if thats the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Because once things get up and running to a semi decent degree and everyone gets a feel for the mechanics this poo poo is fun.

So what's with the Reddit sperg over name plates? Do you really see a username on top of someone at all times? Kinda sucks for snipers/stealth if thats the case.

no if you are really up close to them you'll see it

just to clarify I don't want anything to think I'm defending the game

it needs a lot of work despite being fun

but reddit is full of big dumb babies who will cry about literally anything

• Locked thread