Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I need some guidance. Recently I've ended up with some handed down stereo equipment: a Pioneer SA-9900 amp, which is cosmetically perfect but has power supply issues (and is in for repair), a matching SX-9500 tuner which is perfect, JBL J320A speakers which look in good shape but haven't been tested, and two turntables from very different eras. Both were apparently $100 units in their respective decades.

The first is a Technics SL-BD20D, which was my sister's in the early/mid-'00s. It seems to work well, but if you watch the tonearm when it's playing a record (even a new one) it seems to wobble up and down visibly. I can't hear any audible weirdness from it, but it's there. Uneven mat? Uneven platter? It has the stock cartridge.

The second came with the other '70s Pioneer equipment, a PL-10. It's platter won't spin, which is probably a combination of having a belt older than I am and a lack of lubrication. The platter spins by hand, but it takes more force than I'd expect. The drive pulley spins when you swing the tonearm out, though, so the mechanics seem to work. I have never heard this thing play a record, so I don't know if it needs more than a belt and a lube job. It has an adjustable counterweight and anti-skate business and that's all a bit beyond my knowledge right now. I did try balancing the tonearm by following the instructions in an owner's manual I found online, but didn't seem to make any progress. It has an Audio-Technica cartridge of unknown model.

We have a tiny apartment, so only one of these can stay - the other goes into storage. So which do I keep? I don't expect much from either, just entry-level vinyl listening, and would upgrade later if I stick with this. The Technics seems ready right now. The Pioneer would be neat to use because it'd keep the '70s system together, but it will also need some attention. Which is the better-sounding table?

Keep the PL-10. Besides being older and looking cooler, it has a replaceable cartridge that would be an upgrade route in the future. Does the platter spin freely when you turn it? A platter should continue to spin for 45 seconds to 1 minute when you give it a good spin by hand (disconnect the belt first to remove tension). If it's the original belt, it's likely turned to gum by now. If you try removing it, it might crumble apart and leave a horrible residue on the platter. You'll have to clean it off really well with alcohol and/or warm soapy water. You can get a new belt for just under $20 here http://www.lpgear.com/category/P3.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

The service manual almost always lists the voltage and amp rating for bulbs. If you can track it down.

This is often worth doing. IIRC, some Marantz receivers will burn up their FM decoder IC (often the only IC in the entire system) if you use the wrong lamp for the STEREO indicator, and it's an entirely different voltage from all of the other lamps in the system.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

minivanmegafun posted:

This is often worth doing. IIRC, some Marantz receivers will burn up their FM decoder IC (often the only IC in the entire system) if you use the wrong lamp for the STEREO indicator, and it's an entirely different voltage from all of the other lamps in the system.

I had a stereo that wouldn't turn on at all if the power lamp was burnt out. I don't know why I didn't think to suggest looking up the service manual. They are a huge help fixing stuff. Some of them even have wire diagrams. That saved my life when I fixed my old tube radio.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TomR posted:

I had a stereo that wouldn't turn on at all if the power lamp was burnt out. I don't know why I didn't think to suggest looking up the service manual. They are a huge help fixing stuff. Some of them even have wire diagrams. That saved my life when I fixed my old tube radio.

It's sort of a pos Nikko from 1980 (that I think sounds sweet, but regardless). I haven't been able to find a service manual online. I wired they 6v lamp in and it seems good as new. Thanks all.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
This old magnavox console I posted about last week (made in '62, original and full of vacuum tubes).... Its got an Aux in on the tuner. I've been plugging my phone into it via a 3.5mm to RCA cable, but I had read that turning the volume on the phone up too much can overload the tuner. Is there any truth to this? I haven't gone any further than half volume, but I've gotta turn the console volume up to hear much at all and even then it sounds flat. Before I take the back off again and check the connection I was curious if it could be because the phone volume is low. Does this sound possible? Edit* Nevermind, cranked the volume up and its fine. I saw one post about it among the 50 or so posts I've read so I'm thinking it was BS especially since its straight from the phone.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 6, 2015

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Welp. Found a Technics SL-QL1 at a pawn shop today. Didn't have a price on it so they said "How about $30"?

I don't even need another TT but it looks like I might have to find something to do with it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I found this browsing flickr and it looks cool so I thought I'd share. There are more photos of stuff in the guys stream.

https://flic.kr/p/qu78RZ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TomR posted:

I found this browsing flickr and it looks cool so I thought I'd share. There are more photos of stuff in the guys stream.

https://flic.kr/p/qu78RZ

That's cool, but I think I hate rosewood. It's gaudy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I feel the same way about cherry wood.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
I'm in the market for new floorstanding speakers.

Inputs: Technics SL-1200 Mk2, Sonos CONNECT
Amplifier: Yamaha CR-2020
Music: Rock, Metal, Jazz

I'm currently using Roth Audio OLi 30s, which I got because they looked decent and were on Amazon for $200. Not the worst decision, but I figure I could get something vintage for not much cash that will easily outperform them.

Also, these things are so efficient they barely move the needle on the power output of the CR-2020, which as far as I am concerned is a massive missed opportunity.

What out there makes a good pairing?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

primitive posted:

I'm currently using Roth Audio OLi 30s, which I got because they looked decent and were on Amazon for $200. Not the worst decision, but I figure I could get something vintage for not much cash that will easily outperform them.

Also, these things are so efficient they barely move the needle on the power output of the CR-2020, which as far as I am concerned is a massive missed opportunity.

For rock and metal maybe a pair of JBL 100's? They made a million of them so they're probably easy to find. And they have the uber 70's blue foam grille.

EDIT: ok, they seem to be super expensive on Ebay. Weren't they the single most popular hi-fi speaker of the mid-70's? Why are pairs going for $1000?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 12, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BigFactory posted:

For rock and metal maybe a pair of JBL 100's? They made a million of them so they're probably easy to find. And they have the uber 70's blue foam grille.

EDIT: ok, they seem to be super expensive on Ebay. Weren't they the single most popular hi-fi speaker of the mid-70's? Why are pairs going for $1000?

Dad nostalgia, maybe? I think they're the go-to speaker choice for a lot of people. I don't think they're particularly good, but a lot of people like how they sound.

primitive posted:

I would pick up some vintage (70-90s) B&W speakers off of Craigslist. I've gone through all the entry-level hi-fi speakers: Klipch Heresys, JBL 4312s (cousin to the 100), Polk Monitor 7As, etc. A pair of B+W DM2000s I bought off of Craiglist blow all of them out of the water. You could probably get some 600 or 700 series speakers or even Matrix's if you find a good deal. They are power-hungry, which should satisfy the CR-2020 (>100 watts I think)

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Has anyone here ever had any success with painting/staining the wood on their receiver? I have a Pioneer Sx-626 that's a little beat up on the wood part, and I'd prefer it black.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Chill Callahan posted:

I would pick up some vintage (70-90s) B&W speakers off of Craigslist. I've gone through all the entry-level hi-fi speakers: Klipch Heresys, JBL 4312s (cousin to the 100), Polk Monitor 7As, etc. A pair of B+W DM2000s I bought off of Craiglist blow all of them out of the water. You could probably get some 600 or 700 series speakers or even Matrix's if you find a good deal. They are power-hungry, which should satisfy the CR-2020 (>100 watts I think)

My B&W DM-2's are the best sounding speaker I've ever owned, and they were less than $200 bucks.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
If I hear buzzing/static from about 35% volume and up, are there any possible solutions? Power conditioner maybe?

Setup is AT-LP1240->Marantz PM5004. The RCA cable that came with the TT has ground spades at each end, which are duly connected to the grounds on the TT and amp. The Marantz does not have a ground on its power plug, oddly enough. The speakers are a bit close to the TT (on one side anyway), but moving them does not seem to affect the buzzing.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

TheQat posted:

If I hear buzzing/static from about 35% volume and up, are there any possible solutions? Power conditioner maybe?

Setup is AT-LP1240->Marantz PM5004. The RCA cable that came with the TT has ground spades at each end, which are duly connected to the grounds on the TT and amp. The Marantz does not have a ground on its power plug, oddly enough. The speakers are a bit close to the TT (on one side anyway), but moving them does not seem to affect the buzzing.

The manual for that integrated amp tell you to disconnect the ground wire, strangely enough, if you hear buzzing. ("If humming or other noise is generated when the ground wire is connected, disconnect it") Also it mentions "Do not bundle power cords with connection cables. Doing so can result in humming or noise." http://www.nhthifi.com/site/pdf/PM5004_OM.pdf

Also I would try to make sure that the amp is the only thing plugged into the outlet and see if that helps. Also make sure that the ground spade is between two nuts when attached to the amp.

If those things fail, these seem like good resources for help:

http://sound.westhost.com/earthing.htm
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Chill Callahan posted:

The manual for that integrated amp tell you to disconnect the ground wire, strangely enough, if you hear buzzing. ("If humming or other noise is generated when the ground wire is connected, disconnect it")

yeah, I noticed this as well and tried it. Of course it makes the problem much worse.

Chill Callahan posted:

Also I would try to make sure that the amp is the only thing plugged into the outlet and see if that helps. Also make sure that the ground spade is between two nuts when attached to the amp.

Will try this if I can. Not sure how my co-habitator will feel about a power plug running to the next nearest outlet

Thanks for the other resources!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Does the humming change when you touch the tonearm? Some cartridges require you to isolate them from the tonearm. You might need to buy a set of plastic (nylon) washers and maybe even screws.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Adjusting the grounds fixed it. Seems like one of the spades was not installed correctly. Really glad this isn't a more difficult fix. Thanks for all the suggestions.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So I picked up six turntables last week and going through and fixing them all. I'm done with a Kenwood KD-5066 but the feet are all missing, has anyone had experience with sorbothane feet at all? Was thinking of getting something like that instead of dealing with tracking down the feet for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-He...ords=sorbothane

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
If the feet screw on, I've used rubber chair leg protectors before as turntable feet. Cut off most of the part that the chair leg slides into and then stick a screw through the middle of the flat-ish part. They're like $4 at Lowe's.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
I just volunteered to attempt to restore two pairs of Electro Voice Interface A speakers:

They're clearly in bad shape, all the surrounds have completely rotted out and gravity seems to have taken its toll on the cones for the passive radiators. I've fixed up speakers before, but they were never in this bad of shape. All the guts seem to be in good condition, and from what I've researched these guys are pretty monstrous when in working condition. Each pair comes with its own EQ, I guess to correct for the huge PR and weird back-firing tweeter. I found some reasonably priced re-foam kits on eBay, but I feel these ones in particular need some extra TLC. The owner wants to restore them for his dad, and is paying for all of the parts and labor (in the form of cash and one of the pairs of fixed up speakers) so it's not a big deal if things get a little pricey. I'm just looking for advice on how to do the job the right way...

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall
I've been looking to dip my toes into the world of vinyl... Looking at getting a turntable that I could in the short term just hook up to my home theater system. Would something like the AT-LP60 (or the USB equivalent) sound awful and/or chew up records? I was also maybe considering a Pro-Ject Elemental but not sure if it'd be overkill without a proper stereo amp/speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

micpp posted:

I've been looking to dip my toes into the world of vinyl... Looking at getting a turntable that I could in the short term just hook up to my home theater system. Would something like the AT-LP60 (or the USB equivalent) sound awful and/or chew up records? I was also maybe considering a Pro-Ject Elemental but not sure if it'd be overkill without a proper stereo amp/speakers.

One of those is fine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Don't know about the Pro Ject, and the LP60 is generally recommended against since I think you're stuck with the cartridge it comes with, so likely if you want to change anything about the table you'd be starting over.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -