Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Cue the UKIP party having suckling pig BBQs all over the place to protest the PC Police. Bonus points if they do it right outside of Mosques and Muslim communities.

I don't understand guys, why do that hate us? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Rick_Hunter posted:

Cue the UKIP party having suckling pig BBQs all over the place to protest the PC Police. Bonus points if they do it right outside of Mosques and Muslim communities.

UKIP: "Ya, take that towelheads! We're eating PORK!!" :c00l:
Muslims: "Well, don't they look like they're having a nice time!" :)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Staryberry posted:

I used to work at a large law firm, so all of the lawyers were rich/HENRY ($160,000 to $280,000, with some partners making even more than that). For those who felt that they were HENRY, the feeling usually was based on having six figures of student loan debt, or just general pressure to meet the financial expectations that they set for themselves. This usually was not absurd stuff like fancy vacations. Everyone knew that was a luxury. Instead, people worried about saving for retirement, making sure their kids went to good schools, making sure they had saved for their kids to go to college, buying a home etc. The difference was that advise like "you need 60% of your income to live comfortably in retirement" is a proportionally higher number, than for the middle class. "Good schools" often meant private schools if the public schools are mediocre or bad or buying a house in an expensive neighborhood with good public schools. "Saving for college" meant saving enough to send your kid to private college without saddling the kid with debt. It's amazing how quickly, "financially responsible saving" can eat through a six figure salary. Buying a home, meant looking for a home in a good, safe, neighborhood, without too crazy of a commute, the same neighborhood where everyone else wants to live, so the prices are astronomical. No one felt poor. Everyone knew that they were one of the lucky few, but that did not mean that they did not worry about money. People might grouse about taxes (because everyone wants to keep more money, even if they don't want services cut for the poor) but almost everyone voted democrat.

On the other hand, hearing your boss complain about how the watering bill at his "estate" is $10,000 a month, and how he's going to re-landscape, but it will be $15,000 just to put in the new outdoor lighting, and then his wife will want all new patio furniture, will make you gag.

In other news, several pages ago, people posted about how people had responded to the Charlie Hebdo shooting saying that the victims would have survived if they had been armed. A Texas guns rights group decided to test that theory by reenacting the shooting, with armed "staff members" and paintball guns. They did it a dozen times. The only "staff member" to survive was one who ran from the shooters. Every other "staff member" died. A few times, the "staff members" were able to kill a gunman before they died, but they were never able to kill both gunmen or survive the shooting if they engaged the shooters.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/...omments/#disqus

That debt number is no joke. Considering the median salary of most graduates even in high tier institutions you can sometimes look to half of your salary to fighting back accrued debt. In turn, you make sure that your kids never ever have to go through that nonsense for a degree.

Me and my girlfriend are in the lower 100s and with the combined debt of vet and law school holy poo poo does it feel crushing. Of course, if I had a choice of this or a shitload of other situations I would take mine in a heartbeat. The cost of tuition is loving insane and I hate it (especially in law school since most of it feels loving worthless compared to practice).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

resurgam40 posted:

I would love to come to one of those with a T-shirt saying "Secular Jews for Free Food from Bigots".

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ZenVulgarity posted:

That debt number is no joke. Considering the median salary of most graduates even in high tier institutions you can sometimes look to half of your salary to fighting back accrued debt. In turn, you make sure that your kids never ever have to go through that nonsense for a degree.

Me and my girlfriend are in the lower 100s and with the combined debt of vet and law school holy poo poo does it feel crushing. Of course, if I had a choice of this or a shitload of other situations I would take mine in a heartbeat. The cost of tuition is loving insane and I hate it (especially in law school since most of it feels loving worthless compared to practice).

You know, I feel blessed that my education was paid for through my earned GI bill, and my wife's E.E. masters was paid in full with the Russian government's "hey smartie girl, smartie girl get education in mathematics & physics at secret squirrel government lyceum, then smartie girl go to secret squirrel government college, then afterward design secret weapons," program. Being DINK with no debts means we can save bajanga bucks for our non-existent kids, but also turned her Republican in some ways. ("Why can't the homeless just work?! It's so easy in this country!" actually came out of her mouth in one way or another a few times)

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 16, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Ask her if she would hire a hobo if she owned a business.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ask her if she would hire a hobo if she owned a business.

It's a interesting Russian-OG paleoconservative and progressive-compassionate world view mix that is slowly leaning toward compassion over time as she digests more and more news radio, participates with me in community service, & after meeting "some gays" that were not fitting the spoon-fed narrative.

I'm helping.

resurgam40 posted:

I never understood where they developed the "dip your bullets in PORK FAT," bit. :shrug:

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 16, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Oh god, I just saw some LL101 in the wild. Hilariously enough, from an incredibly progressive friend of mine. It seemed more her confused by math (it was one of those COMMON CORE IS EVIL) posts again, but I'm laughing because holy crap last person I expected to see putting down an LL101.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Bee posted:

Oh god, I just saw some LL101 in the wild. Hilariously enough, from an incredibly progressive friend of mine. It seemed more her confused by math (it was one of those COMMON CORE IS EVIL) posts again, but I'm laughing because holy crap last person I expected to see putting down an LL101.

Every time I ask a nut why they don't like common core they either can't give a answer or give a crazy "Just look at this 100,000,000,000 - 1!" example.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Angry Fish posted:

I never understood where they developed the "dip your bullets in PORK FAT," bit. :shrug:

It's a sort of ignorant self-contradicting thing done by those with a modern-era crusader mentality, where having pork in their system at death will send Muslims to hell (doesn't work theologically, since forced injections and feeding aren't consensual). Which, logically, would mean that there actually is no god but Allah, thus the pork-fat dippers are themselves also hellbound. And given that its use isn't approved by the armed forces, it doesn't even work in a psy-ops sense.

Nobody's going to look at a random bullet wound and know "Oh! There are trace amounts of swine in that wound! I'm scared now"

If you want a cool example of that tactic being widely used in history, check out the Indian Rebellion of 1857.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ratbert90 posted:

Every time I ask a nut why they don't like common core they either can't give a answer or give a crazy "Just look at this 100,000,000,000 - 1!" example.

Had a little luck with common core by patiently teaching people the basic math technique they're using as a crazy example until it makes sense and then explaining that children will be getting similar instruction.

From there, you can turn it around against the meme by explaining that 'someone' is trying to trick you into thinking that Common Core is crazy math.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ratbert90 posted:

That's pretty much it. I'll link the pic.

Like, its pretty clearly trying to explain that numbers aren't big monolithic entities, and you can break them up to make simpler numbers easier to add on the fly. Its just explained/asked kind of poorly, and looks silly when done for an example like 8+5 even if we need to teach it that early to make it a building block of math.

I actually effortposted to try and help explain, too, because I thought it was just a reblog confused about math. Then I checked the source, saw it was liberallogic101, and couldn't believe my eyes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

sweart gliwere posted:

where having pork in their system at death will send Muslims to hell (doesn't work theologically, since forced injections and feeding aren't consensual).

It also doesn't work theologically because just having pork in your system doesn't mean you're going to hell in any sense.

Sin is so easily washed away that it is almost impossible to earn a place in Hell, according to God. Those who are punished to hellfire will accept their punishment once presented with the damning (haha) evidence, according to hadith.

A sin is between the person and God; if the community is harmed, the community has the right to rectify that harm, but Islam as a religion states that judging a person based on sin is left to God alone (and to make excuses for the sin, going as far to bend logic on its head until you're comfortable with the excuse). That's why, for example, it requires four individual witnesses to actually view the penetration in order for a person to be convicted of the crime of adultery: it is an nigh-impossible bar, meant for extreme circumstances for a civilization 1000 years ago to rectify a harm to the community at that particular time. Yet God alone knows what was is the heart of people.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Had a little luck with common core by patiently teaching people the basic math technique they're using as a crazy example until it makes sense and then explaining that children will be getting similar instruction.

From there, you can turn it around against the meme by explaining that 'someone' is trying to trick you into thinking that Common Core is crazy math.

This. I've done this for a number of people that posted common core memes and after walking through it with them only one kept up with "WELL IT'S DUMB STILL, I WAS TAUGHT GOOD OLD AMURICAN MATH AND IT WORKED FOR ME!".

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

The Bee posted:

Like, its pretty clearly trying to explain that numbers aren't big monolithic entities, and you can break them up to make simpler numbers easier to add on the fly. Its just explained/asked kind of poorly, and looks silly when done for an example like 8+5 even if we need to teach it that early to make it a building block of math.

I actually effortposted to try and help explain, too, because I thought it was just a reblog confused about math. Then I checked the source, saw it was liberallogic101, and couldn't believe my eyes.

People who have not been in the education pipeline for decades trying to criticize educators for teaching new methods that are not rote memorization?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

You know, I feel blessed that my education was paid for through my earned GI bill, and my wife's E.E. masters was paid in full with the Russian government's "hey smartie girl, smartie girl get education in mathematics & physics at secret squirrel government lyceum, then smartie girl go to secret squirrel government college, then afterward design secret weapons," program. Being DINK with no debts means we can save bajanga bucks for our non-existent kids, but also turned her Republican in some ways. ("Why can't the homeless just work?! It's so easy in this country!" actually came out of her mouth in one way or another a few times)

That's kind of common in your wife's case. Good for both of you to not deal with that garbage.

I don't have any emails but I overheard someone talking about a Mexican plot to overthrow the government the other day while waiting to get some paperwork notarized.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
People who bitch about common core math (using that very wrong term) also probably hated math, sucked at it, and only learned arithmetic through memorizing the algorithms.

Math using sweet manipulations rocks and makes it a puzzle rather than boring plug n chug.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

People who bitch about common core math (using that very wrong term) also probably hated math, sucked at it, and only learned arithmetic through memorizing the algorithms.

Math using sweet manipulations rocks and makes it a puzzle rather than boring plug n chug.

Math can be really fun if you can relate it to kids too and let them figure poo poo out like a puzzle

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A good common core technique I've used is how much easier it is to go beyond the multiplication table. Most people know up to their 12s (12x12=144). Beyond that? Pencil and paper or the calculator comes out. I ask people to try 12x17 and to use the 10-5-1 rule.

12x10=120
12x5=60
12x2 24

Add them up, you get 204. Go to the closest 10, then to the closest 5 (which is easy since you just halve the previous number in this case) and then multiply by 1 until you're finished with the answer.

I hated memorizing multiplication tables. Waste of drat time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I suddenly understood what common core means. To think I've been doing it all my life because I'm one of those guys who absolutely loathe rote memorization and prefer to find shortcuts instead. I thought everyone split stuff like 12x12 to (12x10) + (2x12) instead of memorizing by heart. Maybe Belgian education has been teaching me common core all along but I certainly don't remember them asking me to make 10 from 8+5. What a horribly obtuse way of explaining it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What? No, Common Core is nothing except a set of standards regarding what kids should be able to do, and what they should know, by a certain grade.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Common core math is the term assholes use to give math teaching methods that focus on developing math over memorizing algorithms.

The depressing part is both give the same drat answer because it's math and math gives no shits.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

The Bee posted:

It's an ambiguously worded question. As written it sounds like an old joke; "how do you divide 5 apples among 4 people? You make apple sauce."

Besides, just knowing that 8+5=13 is a lot quicker than subtracting 8 from 10, then 2 from 5, then adding 3 to 10.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Armyman25 posted:

It's an ambiguously worded question. As written it sounds like an old joke; "how do you divide 5 apples among 4 people? You make apple sauce."

Besides, just knowing that 8+5=13 is a lot quicker than subtracting 8 from 10, then 2 from 5, then adding 3 to 10.

Yes but memorizing that does not help you add 617 to 888 in your head in seconds. Breaking off 12 gives you 900+605.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Armyman25 posted:

How about "just knowing that" 1490+281=1771? When you're teaching a new tool, you use easy examples to make it easier for the student to realize when they've made a mistake. It is then used for more complicated problems.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

it seems oddly worded but presumably the context of that homework assignment is breaking numbers down into more easily managable units to facilitate mental math

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Armyman25 posted:

Expecting young children to "just know things" when they are learning math seems like a fine educational program.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Armyman25 posted:

You're not wrong, but you're missing the point here. Undoubtedly, I'm sure smaller numbers like that would become memorized after a while, but the key thing being taught here is the composition of numbers. You may start with something as innocuous as 8+5, but once you've established an understanding that numbers can be broken apart into easier, more manageable equations, you can easily start making those numbers much larger.

This also goes a lot farther in introducing the concepts of number bases. If, in a few years, a few of these kids start taking interest in computers, alternate number bases will become more intuitive. Algebra becomes far more familiar too. When you start adding variables and unknowns, number manipulation like this becomes far more important, so introducing these concepts at the easier levels goes a long way. Math builds upon itself, and it pains me to see people dismissing concepts like these just because memorization is quicker some scenarios.

We're not asking kids to "Solve for X" at this level, but it's introducing an entirely new way of thinking that will undoubtedly be useful for the rest of their lives. The earlier you introduce it, the longer it's used, and the better kids get at it. I bet math would have been a hell of a lot easier had these different scenarios been introduced to me earlier.

xergm fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 16, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xergm posted:

We're not asking kids to "Solve for X" at this level, but it's introducing an entirely new way of thinking that will undoubtedly be useful for the rest of their lives.

it is kind of solve for x, "make 10 out of 8 and 5" is building up to "8 + x = 10"

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I guess I meant to say is that they're not formally doing "Solve for x" algebra here. This is just the basics of number manipulation so that when you start putty funky letters in symbols into the equations, it becomes far more intuitive to start breaking things apart into familiar blocks. Math never bothered me, but I remember a lot of other students getting really upset because they couldn't understand how you were allowed to do things like subtract 8 from both sides to get x = 2.

I remember my discrete logic classes from college, and there were still a few people who couldn't grasp how things like substitution and the commutative and associative properties could be used to manipulate and simplify equations.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

xergm posted:

I guess I meant to say is that they're not formally doing "Solve for x" algebra here. This is just the basics of number manipulation so that when you start putty funky letters in symbols into the equations, it becomes far more intuitive to start breaking things apart into familiar blocks. Math never bothered me, but I remember a lot of other students getting really upset because they couldn't understand how you were allowed to do things like subtract 8 from both sides to get x = 2.

I remember my discrete logic classes from college, and there were still a few people who couldn't grasp how things like substitution and the commutative and associative properties could be used to manipulate and simplify equations.

All math is just manipulating the problem until you get something that looks like a problem you know the answer to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or looking for the answer in the back and working backwards, hoping that you get something that you can meet in the middle.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One cool thing is that because so many engineers are right wing tools, you can use advanced mathematics against them.

There are no easy step by step algorithms for calculus, you just have a bunch of tools and you have to move stuff around until one works.

As for the "make 10" problem, a great example for adults might be:

How can you make 100 from 45+19.1+56
(Solve the problem by making 100 first)

You can do it algorithmically by lining up all the numbers on the decimal point, adding in columns (0+1+0=1), (5+9+6=19 carry the one), (1+4+1+5=11): 119.1 or did I mess up? If only I knew a second way to calculate this.

A common core approach might be: set the .1 aside for now. Take 6 away from 56, give 5 to 45, give 1 to 19. Now you have 50 + 20 + 50 +.1

Make 100
100 + 20 + .1

Hey... It looks like I messed up the first one, I got 119.1 instead of 120.1
Looks like I messed up the ones addition Oh 5 + 9 + 6 = 20, ok.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Not to dwell but I just did some student loan math class in my head mostly because the 1098 is slow. 79.62 a month. Break the change to .5 and .12 you get 6 + 1.55 then 790 + (160-2)= 955.44

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it is kind of solve for x, "make 10 out of 8 and 5" is building up to "8 + x = 10"

This is exactly the point. I have a 2nd grader that I help with his math every day and it is very evident that the whole point to common core math is the prepare them for algebra.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Mental math rules in a field notoriously lovely with numbers.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I can see why people are shittily obsessed with criticizing common core math. Even looking at the methodologies I still don't get it. I learned my multiplication tables up to 12^2 and then x^2 up to 25. Those are useful, common multiplications that people deal with. Still, I'm not above whipping out a loving pencil and trying to do the math and barring that using a calculator. Being a scientist makes you want to double check everything and documenting it is really helpful for when something screws up.

What drives most liberals insane is the right wing belief that common core, by using a method different from what's been taught for the last 50 years, is some insidious plot to convert our children to communist feminazi faggots.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

I can see why people are shittily obsessed with criticizing common core math. Even looking at the methodologies I still don't get it. I learned my multiplication tables up to 12^2 and then x^2 up to 25. Those are useful, common multiplications that people deal with. Still, I'm not above whipping out a loving pencil and trying to do the math and barring that using a calculator. Being a scientist makes you want to double check everything and documenting it is really helpful for when something screws up.

What drives most liberals insane is the right wing belief that common core, by using a method different from what's been taught for the last 50 years, is some insidious plot to convert our children to communist feminazi faggots.

Here's some simple math for ya!

Common - on + ie = commie!

You can't fool me! :freep:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ZenVulgarity posted:

Mental math rules in a field notoriously lovely with numbers.

Engineers really are the worst when it comes to this because they're all just using calculators anyway. Sure they technically use math, but with computer models you don't actually need to remember anything.

Now physicists and mathematicians? That's the real deal. And as a physicist I really like what common core is trying to do because it's stuff I do on a day-to-day basis to work out simple math in my head. It's stuff I wish I knew as a kid, and ultimately had to figure it out on my own while being pressure tested during exams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Engineers really are the worst when it comes to this because they're all just using calculators anyway. Sure they technically use math, but with computer models you don't actually need to remember anything.

Now physicists and mathematicians? That's the real deal. And as a physicist I really like what common core is trying to do because it's stuff I do on a day-to-day basis to work out simple math in my head. It's stuff I wish I knew as a kid, and ultimately had to figure it out on my own while being pressure tested during exams.

Physics rules. I'm mainly talking about being a lawyer. Holy gently caress people don't know basic poo poo.