Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

thespaceinvader posted:

Or (for Stareplant) plant cube. Or (for Baby Golem) gold token. There is no thematic reason for this rule.

I love the Dungeon petz rulebook. Especially the fact that all the important rule points are in bold red text, including, 'if you let a pet die you must feel guilty'.

My favourite rule is the one in Galaxy Trucker that states (paraphrased) "If you lose more than double your maximum insurance, though....well, nothing happens, but the person who recommended you for the job is almost certainly going to get fired. How you assuage your guilty conscience is up to you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Ancient Rome... I really want a Rome themed board game (since between the history of Rome podcast and total war rome 2 I've been on a huge roman kick), any recommendations on that theme alone? I'd prefer something not too crunchy, but I'm open to pretty much any type of board game.

Tribune but it's out of print and expensive unfortunately. Nice Roman touch though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I love Dungeon Petz but I sometimes worry about the theme because sometimes it is explicitly the best option to make your pets suffer in order to gain more points. I think this is the reason Lorini (iirc) doesn't like it and why my SO also kind of dislikes it.

Yup, I just don't like the feeling of doing that. I don't have an issue with other people playing or anything like that, it's just not for me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

I love Dungeon Petz but I sometimes worry about the theme because sometimes it is explicitly the best option to make your pets suffer in order to gain more points. I think this is the reason Lorini (iirc) doesn't like it and why my SO also kind of dislikes it.

The thing that minorly bothers me about it is all the poop references. It feels a little juvenile as an adult, but it's way too complex for a kids' game. The overall theme doesn't feel the same way to me as it does to you though - it's very important to minimise suffering as much as possible in Petz. It's just really drat hard.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like to replace my wooden meeples with little generic multi-colored Galaxy Trucker mans. If they make poop shaped blocks in a Dungeon Petz anniversary version, I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace a brown cube in all my other euros with one of them.

I wish I could eastern-euro upgrade all of my euro games because jfc is it easy to get people interested in playing a game of Dungeon Petz just from the box art alone.

Edit: I can sympathize with the pet suffering thing but maybe just pretend that particular species enjoys it because it's a masochist because fantasy. I mean, a lot of the most highly regarded board games literally involve slavery as an abstract theme. Not that one will justify the other but just surprised to hear this as a complaint about Petz and so seldom do I see the worker thing brought up

vvv Edit:maybe the lich really loves his pet and converts it into a lich-pet and they enjoy listening to The Cure together for eternity? You guys are going to make me feel uncomfortable about playing one of my favorite games by the time we're done here huh

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 16, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thespaceinvader posted:

The thing that minorly bothers me about it is all the poop references. It feels a little juvenile as an adult, but it's way too complex for a kids' game. The overall theme doesn't feel the same way to me as it does to you though - it's very important to minimise suffering as much as possible in Petz. It's just really drat hard.
No, you don't understand: sometimes it is worth more VPs to make a pet suffer than to prevent him from suffering: the lich buyer is one example.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Edit: I can sympathize with the pet suffering thing but maybe just pretend that particular species enjoys it because it's a masochist because fantasy. I mean, a lot of the most highly regarded board games literally involve slavery as an abstract theme. Not that one will justify the other but just surprised to hear this as a complaint about Petz and so seldom do I see the worker thing brought up

That's because the discussion is already played out.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also this look loving awesome: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152470/fief-france-1429

quote:

In Fief: France 1429, a player may attempt to gain control of all the villages in a Fief to gain the Royal Title of Baron, Earl or Duke. For each Fief a player controls, he gains 1 VP. These Titled Lords may now take part in the election for the next King. They may even be a candidate to become King, thus bringing 1 VP and more power to the family! Other members of your family may follow the calling of the Church to gain the Ecclesiastical Titles of Bishop and then Cardinal. These titles allow you to Tithe Bishoprics, taking the Church's (i.e. "your") fair share of income from other Fief Lords! The highest goal your clerical family member can attain is to be elected Pope, bringing 1 VP and special privileges to your family!

You win the game as soon as you have 3 VPs. This is easier said than done and you may need to form alliances with other players through diplomacy and marriage to obtain your goal. When one of your family members marries a noble of another family, the two of you become allied. You now win the game together with 4 VPs and cannot win alone, unless your marriage is annulled by the Pope or your spouse is "mysteriously" murdered or dies of some other foul means!

Kind of Game of Thronesy (with a suggested hour less playtime) -- and that marriage + assassination mechanic sounds delightful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

No, you don't understand: sometimes it is worth more VPs to make a pet suffer than to prevent him from suffering: the lich buyer is one example.

In one case, I guess.

Every other buyer dislikes Suffering, and if your pets suffer too much they die and then you're proper hosed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

T-Bone posted:

Also this look loving awesome: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152470/fief-france-1429

Kind of Game of Thronesy (with a suggested hour less playtime) -- and that marriage + assassination mechanic sounds delightful.

It's supposed to be modeled after Crusader Kings. I'll let you know when my Kickstarter arrives ;)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

GrandpaPants posted:

It's supposed to be modeled after Crusader Kings. I'll let you know when my Kickstarter arrives ;)

As someone who has a poo poo load of CK2 logged on Steam -- gently caress yes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

In one case, I guess.

Every other buyer dislikes Suffering, and if your pets suffer too much they die and then you're proper hosed.
No, that's just one example, because the Lich dislikes suffering too. He likes Magic and 3x (different coloured) Sickness: if you put two sickness, you get 6 score, if you put 3, you get 9 (but 2 suffering), if you put 4 sickness you get 12 (and 3 total suffering). This is a situation where it is explicitly good to give your pets suffering.

Any buyer that has a 2x need can potentially have the same thing as well, because you only get one suffering but you get two points for it, overall net 1 point. Sure, it is strictly better to not give him the suffering at all, but if your choice is 1) a lower score without suffering or 2) a higher score with suffering, the optimal choice is 2.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

thespaceinvader posted:

The thing that minorly bothers me about it is all the poop references. It feels a little juvenile as an adult

I work with dogs for a living, and dealing with poop is a major part of the job. If you think it's juvenile for a game about raising pets to repeatedly reference the fact that they poo poo where they please and it's your job to clean it up, I don't know what the hell you were expecting.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Zveroboy posted:

My girlfriend's brother has been going on about the XCOM board game for ages now, and since my FLGS is taking pre-orders for it I thought I'd pick up a copy for him as a "getting out of hospital" gift. Can't say I'm surprised he's interested in it, he's pretty much surgically attached to his iPad so the whole app thing is a big attraction.

Reviews seems mixed, some say that under all the theme and the app gimmick, it's just a push-your-luck dice roller. Other say that while it is just that, the tension, theme and the fact that the app does all the book-keeping for you makes it a good game. Any goon opinions?

It hasn't been released yet, release date isn't even announced so far. So the amount of people actually played it are limited to very few lucky ones that got the chance at a CON.

As a result, at the moment it is hard for anyone to come and give you an educated opinion of multiple plays, limiting all you hear about it to theory-crafting and guessing.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 16, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got opinions on how that Imperial Assault game stacks up against Descent 2e?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
They made a game about the boring Geoscape side of XCOM, I don't know what to expect.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

No, that's just one example, because the Lich dislikes suffering too. He likes Magic and 3x (different coloured) Sickness: if you put two sickness, you get 6 score, if you put 3, you get 9 (but 2 suffering), if you put 4 sickness you get 12 (and 3 total suffering). This is a situation where it is explicitly good to give your pets suffering.

Any buyer that has a 2x need can potentially have the same thing as well, because you only get one suffering but you get two points for it, overall net 1 point. Sure, it is strictly better to not give him the suffering at all, but if your choice is 1) a lower score without suffering or 2) a higher score with suffering, the optimal choice is 2.

If you care more about "points" than the wellbeing of your petz, well, you might just be history's greatest monster

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The rules don't say I caaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn't
t:haw:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well that's the thing, isn't it. The game has mechanism that promote the fact that you should not care about the health of your pets as long as they make you money (or, in this case, renown). I guess it pretty accurately reflects the true nature of for-profit pet shops, but it is a theme that some will find distasteful.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Zveroboy posted:

Board Game Thread 2015: "Oh, like those games Sheldon plays?"

I once caught the start of a Big Bang episode while changing channels and I paused because Sheldon had designed his own board game and was explaining it to the others. It took one line from him to turn to my partner and say "I don't believe someone like Sheldon would design a game that used a roll-to-move mechanic" and she stared at me blankly and I realised what I had become.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Well that's the thing, isn't it. The game has mechanism that promote the fact that you should not care about the health of your pets as long as they make you money (or, in this case, renown). I guess it pretty accurately reflects the true nature of for-profit pet shops, but it is a theme that some will find distasteful.

Mechanically it's awesome, no question. I'm not complaining about the theme, I don't fault Vlaada for the theme, it's just not for me.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Gutter Owl posted:

This is sort of a consistent problem with Talton and Level 99. His games range from decent to excellent--BattleCON is the second-best money I've spent on this hobby after Dominion. But christ, his rulebooks are pathetically bad/unclear, and the card templating is all over the place. (You can induce an immediate headache in most BattleCON players by asking a rules question about the "Pulse" special action.)

Next time he does a kickstarter, I really hope one of the stretch goals is "hire a loving technical writer."

AFAIK you're the most experienced with Level 99 Games so I'm gonna ask you: I'm waiting on the BattleCon War kickstarter to arrive (not owning Battlecon yet), but I'm wondering if Pixel Tactics is worth pledging for, or is it another 2 player game occupying a similar length/weight that's just not as good as Battlecon (and I'll just end up playing Battlecon instead)?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

burger time posted:

AFAIK you're the most experienced with Level 99 Games so I'm gonna ask you: I'm waiting on the BattleCon War kickstarter to arrive (not owning Battlecon yet), but I'm wondering if Pixel Tactics is worth pledging for, or is it another 2 player game occupying a similar length/weight that's just not as good as Battlecon (and I'll just end up playing Battlecon instead)?

Pixel Tactics is simpler than Battlecon is, much simpler really. Not as many characters either. Pixel Tactics is easier to get to the table in a way because the setup is faster and you don't sit down to play a ton of games of it, like you might with Battlecon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lorini posted:

Mechanically it's awesome, no question. I'm not complaining about the theme, I don't fault Vlaada for the theme, it's just not for me.
Yeah sorry, maybe distasteful was the wrong word here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tekopo posted:

It's a pet-shop full of monsters run by imps. I think it's less about "the true nature of for-profit pet shops" and more about how goblinoid culture is cruel and terrible. They are the bad guys, making horrible beasts to populate a villains dungeon after all.

I don't cry for my lost troops in a war game, I'm not going to lose sleep over a sad Fiery Fairy.

That said, if it's not your cup of tea so be it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 16, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

burger time posted:

Well, pledging for it is a bit of a sailed ship, since the Deluxe edition Kickstarter finished last weekend. I pledged for a copy, but I might end up turning around and selling it.

PT is a whole different beast from BattleCON, and doesn't compete for the same space. If anything, it plays more like a CCG with mirrored preconstructed decks. You have a hand of cards, you play dudes from that hand and send those dudes to attack other dudes for damage. If BattleCON is a short but thinky game about predictive play from fixed, known positions, Pixel Tactics is a lighter, more random game of drawing cards and slapping chumps on a board.

Here's the big problem for me: Pixel Tactics isn't competing against BattleCON for my table time. It's competing against Tash-Kalar. In the (way zoomed-out) abstract, both games are about drawing from a fixed deck of options and trying to keep the board stable enough to put those options to optimal use. And for that kind of gameplay, Tash-Kalar is far and away the better experience. I like Talton, but he's got a looooong way to go to compete with Vlaada.

My big hope is that the upcoming cube draft format will add the extra weight I want out of the game. Otherwise, it's hitting eBay or getting donated.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fat Turkey posted:

I once caught the start of a Big Bang episode while changing channels and I paused because Sheldon had designed his own board game and was explaining it to the others. It took one line from him to turn to my partner and say "I don't believe someone like Sheldon would design a game that used a roll-to-move mechanic" and she stared at me blankly and I realised what I had become.

I've clearly become the same thing, because I know exactly what you mean.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gutter Owl posted:

Well, pledging for it is a bit of a sailed ship, since the Deluxe edition Kickstarter finished last weekend. I pledged for a copy, but I might end up turning around and selling it.

Here's the big problem for me: Pixel Tactics isn't competing against BattleCON for my table time. It's competing against Tash-Kalar. In the (way zoomed-out) abstract, both games are about drawing from a fixed deck of options and trying to keep the board stable enough to put those options to optimal use. And for that kind of gameplay, Tash-Kalar is far and away the better experience. I like Talton, but he's got a looooong way to go to compete with Vlaada.

My big hope is that the upcoming cube draft format will add the extra weight I want out of the game. Otherwise, it's hitting eBay or getting donated.

I like Pixel Tactics, but this is a fair assessment of what it is and where it is within my collection, although I'm not sure about Tash Kalar since TK is way more brain burnery for me in a way that definitely isn't there in PT. But in the scope of primarily 2p games, I don't really think it's good enough to replace something like Tash Kalar or Netrunner or WH40k Conquest for me, especially since right now it's super cumbersome to carry around. It's fine to bring it out once in a while, but it's never a game I'm really tempted to master its intricacies or think of when I'm not playing it. Heck, I think I even prefer Sellswords to it, especially if they ever properly write out a good rulebook for it. Sellswords also has the benefit of forcing me to use this as its soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Hm, maybe I should pick it up; my wife hates animals.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, when you really think about it, in Agricola you are this family that's strategizing about how to make other families either starve or beg, even if you have a surplus of perishable food.

Also, there's all the incest

that last part probably isn't true although when all the other families have starved to death one does wonder..

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I mean, when you really think about it, in Agricola you are this family that's strategizing about how to make other families either starve or beg, even if you have a surplus of perishable food.

Also, there's all the incest

that last part probably isn't true although when all the other families have starved to death one does wonder..

Now I'm imagining that the families in Agricola are like the Peacock family from the X-Files episode "Home." :stonk:

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lorini posted:

Pixel Tactics is simpler than Battlecon is, much simpler really. Not as many characters either. Pixel Tactics is easier to get to the table in a way because the setup is faster and you don't sit down to play a ton of games of it, like you might with Battlecon.

Gutter Owl posted:

PT is a whole different beast from BattleCON, and doesn't compete for the same space. If anything, it plays more like a CCG with mirrored preconstructed decks. You have a hand of cards, you play dudes from that hand and send those dudes to attack other dudes for damage. If BattleCON is a short but thinky game about predictive play from fixed, known positions, Pixel Tactics is a lighter, more random game of drawing cards and slapping chumps on a board.

GrandpaPants posted:

I like Pixel Tactics, but this is a fair assessment of what it is and where it is within my collection, although I'm not sure about Tash Kalar since TK is way more brain burnery for me in a way that definitely isn't there in PT. But in the scope of primarily 2p games, I don't really think it's good enough to replace something like Tash Kalar or Netrunner or WH40k Conquest for me, especially since right now it's super cumbersome to carry around. It's fine to bring it out once in a while, but it's never a game I'm really tempted to master its intricacies or think of when I'm not playing it. Heck, I think I even prefer Sellswords to it, especially if they ever properly write out a good rulebook for it. Sellswords also has the benefit of forcing me to use this as its soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c.

Thanks for the information, good to know it overlaps with Tash-Kalar. I've gotta think about it some more but I appreciate the responses. If anyone else is interested, you actually can still pledge for the game through level 99's website.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Now I'm imagining that the families in Agricola are like the Peacock family from the X-Files episode "Home." :stonk:

Replace your meeples with the little igor guys from Mordheim

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Gutter Owl posted:

Well, pledging for it is a bit of a sailed ship, since the Deluxe edition Kickstarter finished last weekend.

If anyone is sad or mad about missing a Kickstarter and can't wait for the retail or bear the loss of exclusives, you can just mail and ask the host if you can still join. If it made the goal and they haven't shipped the goods yet, most do accept to add you to the Kickstarter roster. You don't get pledger access like leaving messages on the board and such but they send you a set along everyone else.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Gort posted:

Anyone got opinions on how that Imperial Assault game stacks up against Descent 2e?

I'm going to need to know more about your opinions and thoughts on Descent 2E before I can answer you in detail. But, I have played Descent 2E quite a few times on Vassal before buying Imperial Assault as a Xmas present for my girlfriend. I've played it with a few people as only the Imperial but I enjoy it a lot. The changes from Descent seem great and make it much more actiony and stream-lined. One specific change I enjoy is the defensive player is now tasked with the dodging rather than rolling a blank blue die and screaming that Avric is a loving worthless hack. I can't speak to balance issues or anything. The game has been fun enough that I decided to paint the miniatures and give in to being an old piece of poo poo at this point.

If you have any specific questions you can always PM me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I'm going to need to know more about your opinions and thoughts on Descent 2E before I can answer you in detail. But, I have played Descent 2E quite a few times on Vassal before buying Imperial Assault as a Xmas present for my girlfriend. I've played it with a few people as only the Imperial but I enjoy it a lot. The changes from Descent seem great and make it much more actiony and stream-lined. One specific change I enjoy is the defensive player is now tasked with the dodging rather than rolling a blank blue die and screaming that Avric is a loving worthless hack. I can't speak to balance issues or anything. The game has been fun enough that I decided to paint the miniatures and give in to being an old piece of poo poo at this point.

If you have any specific questions you can always PM me.

My major issue with Descent 2e was that one side of the game (heroes or overlord) always felt like they were in a "fail spiral" of losing quests, then getting bad rewards as a result so they can go on to lose more quests. As a result one side always gave up before we completed half a campaign.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Gort posted:

My major issue with Descent 2e was that one side of the game (heroes or overlord) always felt like they were in a "fail spiral" of losing quests, then getting bad rewards as a result so they can go on to lose more quests. As a result one side always gave up before we completed half a campaign.

In my experience, losing missions didn't lead to any feelings of hopelessness. With influence, I bought a few side missions from the agenda deck which can really screw with the heroes deciding potentially to toss a hero quest or give me my reward straight up. I never got into the forced missions but those also sound great to stunt the heroes for a bit (there's some rule about not being able to shop with 2 side missions back to back or something...never quite got the handle on that).

I got the sense that there is balancing going on underneath it all. The only trouble will be playing against experienced players who simply out smart you in a scenario. On the missions I got rolled I never felt like it was the game punishing me but my own fault in not utilizing all my units' abilities. I can't help but send the Probe Droids in for a kamikaze mission.

In Descent, from what I played, some of those missions were ridiculous or basically auto-fails. The feeling of having no agency in that game that I felt isn't apparent (or as apparent, at least) in Imperial Assault.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've been playing Imperial Assault against a friend and it feels a lot more balanced than Descent 2e ever did, and that's coming from several campaign's worth of experience. The Overlord has more ways to customize himself and has some legitimately strong powers that don't rely on luck to draw, while the heroes are guaranteed an acceptable amount of gold and xp to keep boosting themselves up. The missions seem like they're balancing out better - both sides are neck-and-neck in how many missions they've won - and the reinforcement rules and events mid-mission are much more flexible. The fact you can 'partially succeed' at quests means it's not so black and white. Basically, I'm impressed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ah, screw you guys, you're going to make me buy a third Descent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's going to be hell for me because I'm going to have to pick it up after I move house, which means I'll miss out on all the work the friend's done to paint the minis and make big blocky supply crates to replace the chest tokens.

:smith:

(Painting the bases different colors to be better able to keep track of which squad is which is really, really helpful. It also meant he could regularly destroy me with swarms of troopers.)