Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Cardale was on Mike and Mike this morning, and confirmed what most people figured out:

- The press conference was not his idea, he was asked to do it to help bring attention to the Ginn Academy, a school for at-risk kids in Cleveland
- He really didn't consider going pro that much, so all the "sources" were BS

I still don't get why people are upset at the press conference. Peyton Manning did it. Tebow did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Omne posted:

Cardale was on Mike and Mike this morning, and confirmed what most people figured out:

- The press conference was not his idea, he was asked to do it to help bring attention to the Ginn Academy, a school for at-risk kids in Cleveland
- He really didn't consider going pro that much, so all the "sources" were BS

I still don't get why people are upset at the press conference. Peyton Manning did it. Tebow did it.

Yet another case of B1G copying the SEC.

Shameful.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Everyone had their eyes on him, the media made it a spectacle with their speculation. He just capitalized which seems sorta in character for him as a bit of a goof.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Legend of Cardale Jones, and Other Tall Tales, including "John Henry," "Paul Bunyan," "Pecos Bill," "Casey Jones," and "Johnny Appleseed."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

Yet another case of B1G copying the SEC.

Shameful.

Just like football, the B1G did it better than the SEC.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crotch Bat posted:

Honestly, how mad can you actual be at the media with Jones bringing this entirely on himself.

It wasn't "Cardale Jones press conference 4PM" it was "Cardale Jones' Super Terrific Happy Hour Lifetime Decision Making Funtime Tour WUB WUB WUB WUB". He decided to be a troll, he trolled, some people decided not to like it.

Don't misinterpret what I said about Mariota for meaning you can't call a press conference to announce a return, that's not the point.

What kind of sad life are you living where you need to validate being hip with being all "LOL YEA gently caress DA MEDIA GET TROLLED human being".

What a loving dork

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Apparently all of Joe Paternos wins are getting restored according to ESPN.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yep

Philly Inquirer ‏@PhillyInquirer
BREAKING: NCAA agrees to restore #Paterno wins, restructure #PennState fine

e: More

NCAA @NCAA
Under proposed agreement, Penn State agrees to commit $60M to activities and programs for the prevention of child sexual abuse.

Under proposed settlement, Penn State acknowledges the NCAA's legitimate & good faith interest & concern regarding Jerry Sandusky matter.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I foresee some wailing, perhaps gnashing

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
What a crock of poo poo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Shouldn't have had them revoked anyway.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Congratulations to Joe Paterno on allowing the rape of children to happen for years and to not even get a slap on the wrist. The system is good and just.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vHPh-CO8jM

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Shouldn't have had them revoked anyway.
Ugh.

Here's the problem. Probably not? The NCAA didn't have much authority in the rulebook to punish this sort of matter. But hey, they decided to swing their big dicks around in order to get that publicity. And now that they think it's safe, they're undoing it so they don't have to make it a precedent. It's loving cowardly.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Has there been anybody in this whole sordid mess that hasn't acted reprehensibly? Aside from the victims, obviously.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JT Jag posted:

Ugh.

Here's the problem. Probably not? The NCAA didn't have much authority in the rulebook to punish this sort of matter. But hey, they decided to swing their big dicks around in order to get that publicity. And now that they think it's safe, they're undoing it so they don't have to make it a precedent. It's loving cowardly.

They're being more or less forced to at gunpoint, in their defense.

Still, as I said back when this was all a hot topic -- it was really, really stupid idea to punish Penn State extra-judicially that would, long-term, undermine the credibility of the organization. And I was tarred and feathered for it.

Forgive me while I laugh my rear end off.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Congratulations to Joe Paterno on allowing the rape of children to happen for years and to not even get a slap on the wrist. The system is good and just.

Let's be fair, what did that have to do with what happened on the field? I mean we all know it happened and it will forever be on his legacy anyway. What did "taking away his wins" really do?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're being more or less forced to at gunpoint, in their defense.

Still, as I said back when this was all a hot topic -- it was really, really stupid idea to punish Penn State extra-judicially that would, long-term, undermine the credibility of the organization. And I was tarred and feathered for it.

Forgive me while I laugh my rear end off.

Let's be fair, what did that have to do with what happened on the field? I mean we all know it happened and it will forever be on his legacy anyway. What did "taking away his wins" really do?
You were right. And I think I actually agreed with you at the time, though I wasn't as vocal.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Didn't Penn State use moral superiority over never having done anything wrong as a part of their recruiting while this kind of poo poo was being covered up? I'd say that recruiting is a pretty big deal.

I mean, the NCAA never used any of that as justification because they're bad and dumb, but still.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Let's be fair, what did that have to do with what happened on the field?

I'd say not having to talk about how your former defensive coordinator was taking kids to the rape shower is a pretty big boon to recruiting. He avoided a huge negative public relations nightmare that almost certainly would have scared away a hell of a lot of players. Of course, instead he didn't and covered it up for years to save face for the program. Good Guy Joe Paterno.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Trolled a bunch of rape-apologist Penn State fans? It was worth it.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Great White Hope posted:

Didn't Penn State use moral superiority over never having done anything wrong as a part of their recruiting while this kind of poo poo was being covered up? I'd say that recruiting is a pretty big deal.

I mean, the NCAA never used any of that as justification because they're bad and dumb, but still.

"Success with Honor" as long as it doesn't ruin anyone's weekend.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
It's also really cool and good that there are a significant number of Penn State fans who think that making sure a guy who covered up the rape of children gets wins back is important. Like at some point don't you think you would be like "hm, do I really need to defend this man who covered up child rape" but actually they really do want to defend and applaud a man who covered up child rape.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
It's highly ironic Joe Paterno poo poo his pants, as he himself was a shitstain on the conscience of America. A sexist egomaniac more concerned with his own cult of personality than the lives of children, Joe Paterno for years helped cover up the most heinous of crimes to protect the power structure of which he was figurehead. Not only that, but he went further, allowing the criminal responsible to become a permanent fixture of the community without even the slightest hint of caring that a goddamned child rapist was the toast of the town. A petulant rear end in a top hat, an irresponsible enabler, and past his expiration date for years before his death, he nonetheless remains the center of local mythology and the hearts of a legion of supporters that will remind detractors of "what he did for the university" and that "the only thing he did wrong was win."

They should have gotten the goddamned death penalty.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'd say not having to talk about how your former defensive coordinator was taking kids to the rape shower is a pretty big boon to recruiting. He avoided a huge negative public relations nightmare that almost certainly would have scared away a hell of a lot of players. Of course, instead he didn't and covered it up for years to save face for the program. Good Guy Joe Paterno.

Raku posted:

It's highly ironic Joe Paterno poo poo his pants, as he himself was a shitstain on the conscience of America. A sexist egomaniac more concerned with his own cult of personality than the lives of children, Joe Paterno for years helped cover up the most heinous of crimes to protect the power structure of which he was figurehead. Not only that, but he went further, allowing the criminal responsible to become a permanent fixture of the community without even the slightest hint of caring that a goddamned child rapist was the toast of the town. A petulant rear end in a top hat, an irresponsible enabler, and past his expiration date for years before his death, he nonetheless remains the center of local mythology and the hearts of a legion of supporters that will remind detractors of "what he did for the university" and that "the only thing he did wrong was win."

They should have gotten the goddamned death penalty.

Y'all familiar with how rule of law works, right? Like that's the point. For all the awful, terrible things he did -- absolutely none of them were actual violations of NCAA rules and none of the punishment was handed down through the (lovely) process that the NCAA and its members agree to hold validity.

And, if your goal is to somehow BREAK Penn State, basically turning him into a martyr in their eyes is prolly not the best way to go about it.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's also really cool and good that there are a significant number of Penn State fans who think that making sure a guy who covered up the rape of children gets wins back is important. Like at some point don't you think you would be like "hm, do I really need to defend this man who covered up child rape" but actually they really do want to defend and applaud a man who covered up child rape.

I'd just like to note, for the record, that I am neither a Penn State fan or a Paterno supporter. My concern has always been that in the larger scheme of things the NCAA did more harm to the situation than they could ever have done good by acting the way they acted.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 16, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And, if your goal is to somehow BREAK Penn State, basically turning him into a martyr in their eyes is prolly not the best way to go about it.

I don't disagree with you, but there's no way he wasn't going to be treated like some martyr/messiah after he passed away, regardless of what the NCAA did.

E: Although yeah, the NCAA's actions definitely made it worse.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A reminder that this pretty much completely restores Joe Paterno's reputation in the NCAA's eyes and Jim Tressel is still serving a show-cause penalty for some tattoos.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

I don't disagree with you, but there's no way he wasn't going to be treated like some martyr/messiah after he passed away, regardless of what the NCAA did.

E: Although yeah, the NCAA's actions definitely made it worse.

I think the NCAA's actions made it far worse because they seemed capricious.

Mahoning posted:

A reminder that this pretty much completely restores Joe Paterno's reputation in the NCAA's eyes and Jim Tressel is still serving a show-cause penalty for some tattoos,

That's because he lied to them and they couldn't nail him for Youngstown State/Clarett

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Whenever I get really mad about Penn State, I try to keep things in perspective. What if a single member of the university I liked did something horrible, and no actual NCAA rules were broken in the process? Coverup or no, I wouldn't want to give the NCAA the authority to punish a school as hard as they want in an arbitrary manner entirely based on the climate of public opinion, as is what happened in the Penn State case. Because it's the NCAA, and gently caress the NCAA.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

As an addendum, the NCAA is basically losing every lawsuit from the state of PA fwiw

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Uggggghhhh I need to get out of Pennsylvania.

I mean there a lot of good reasons to get out, but I'm really not looking forward to smug fans preaching about "the Penn State way" without a hint of irony again.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's loving dead and died while everyone still hated him. His last memory of his legacy was coal black, and he went to the grave knowing that the only thing anyone would ever remember him as is the guy who did nothing to stop child molestation.

Yeah, totally a slap on the wrist.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Strobe posted:

He's loving dead and died while everyone still hated him. His last memory of his legacy was coal black, and he went to the grave knowing that the only thing anyone would ever remember him as is the guy who did nothing to stop child molestation.

Thank you Antony, but

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
gently caress the NCAA forever. Seriously.

When they punish a school more permanently and severely for one of its players receiving "Improper benefits" of some sort than they do for a school that actually covers up and lies about child rape, then gently caress them forever.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like, please don't understand me. I think Paterno was a poo poo heel. And for more than just the Sandusky thing. Like he covered Rene Portland's biggoted rear end for eons too at the expense of the mental and physical well being of LGBT athletes. And poo poo like:

quote:

Today is a great victory for everyone who has fought for truth in the Sandusky tragedy.--Paterno family statement

Totally, totally does not help the situation.

Retail Slave posted:

gently caress the NCAA forever. Seriously.

When they punish a school more permanently and severely for one of its players receiving "Improper benefits" of some sort than they do for a school that actually covers up and lies about child rape, then gently caress them forever.

One thing is their job, the other isn't. I am not sure how much clearer that has to be made.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
gently caress Joe Paterno.

Strobe posted:

Good

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

:unsmith:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
So has the NCAA added a "don't cover up child rape to protect your football program" clause yet or should we just burn the organization down and make a new system that doesn't let Penn State join to begin with

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'd just like to note, for the record, that I am neither a Penn State fan or a Paterno supporter. My concern has always been that in the larger scheme of things the NCAA did more harm to the situation than they could ever have done good by acting the way they acted.

Oh, I wasn't attempting to say that you were one of those fans. But I know a lot of Penn State fans who are just plain giddy that their child rape enabling coach just got some wins back

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Whenever I get really mad about Penn State, I try to keep things in perspective. What if a single member of the university I liked did something horrible, and no actual NCAA rules were broken in the process? Coverup or no, I wouldn't want to give the NCAA the authority to punish a school as hard as they want in an arbitrary manner entirely based on the climate of public opinion, as is what happened in the Penn State case. Because it's the NCAA, and gently caress the NCAA.

Quite frankly if my tax dollars went towards actively covering up child molesters for fun, I'd want everyone involved it in, and all the organizations involved in it, burned to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raku posted:

So has the NCAA added a "don't cover up child rape to protect your football program" clause yet or should we just burn the organization down and make a new system that doesn't let Penn State join to begin with

No and they shouldn't either. The last thing anyone should want is the NCAA getting involved in policing conduct outside of athletic activity.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Oh, I wasn't attempting to say that you were one of those fans. But I know a lot of Penn State fans who are just plain giddy that their child rape enabling coach just got some wins back

It was more for the influx of posters who prolly think I am a Penn State fan somehow.

• Locked thread