Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Improbable Lobster posted:

The space ship designs are the one thing that is consistently good in Star Wars, ignoring a couple of the really bad ones like the E Wing

and the eu is mostly a text based medium so they cannot inflict their own ideas for them (and most don't invent new ones because they cannot have sex with a space ship)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What is the star wars EU?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

The space ship designs are the one thing that is consistently good in Star Wars, ignoring a couple of the really bad ones like the E Wing

All the star destroyers are p dope, as well as the republic's ships, but :lol: at the Mon Calamari ships except for this one:

That's pretty fuckin' cool

eu has force sensitive planets, but does it have force sensitive ships?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

eu has force sensitive planets, but does it have force sensitive ships?

I assumed that if you squirted enough midichlorians on anything, it'd become force sensitive.

Also:

quote:

Force Detectors, a tool used to measure midi-chlorian counts

That's some E-meter Scientology looking poo poo.

Hexel posted:

If you're serious, it stands for Expanded Universe. Basically encompasses the dumb poo poo that bad writers come up with in comic books and stuff.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also the Star Wars EU is relentlessly catalogued and for some reason every piece of media ever has to be treated as "real" and when they're inconsistent nerds get mad, in a way that isn't present in other nerd franchises.

Like, I've never seen anyone complain that the Star Trek films need to pay homage to the fact that Chekov was once transformed into a sentient crab. That's just a thing that happened in a book some dude wrote and no one cares.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assumed that if you squirted enough midichlorians on anything, it'd become force sensitive.

This raises the most fundamental star wars question: is the force inherited through sperm or eggs????

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

84 pages :psyduck:

putting this on the "goons got deep opinions on" list

-hot sauces
-beers
-whiskeys
-animes
-islams
-star wars canon tiers/jizz wailing

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

this is the most cringeworthy thing i have ever seen

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tender Bender posted:

Also the Star Wars EU is relentlessly catalogued and for some reason every piece of media ever has to be treated as "real" and when they're inconsistent nerds get mad, in a way that isn't present in other nerd franchises.

Like, I've never seen anyone complain that the Star Trek films need to pay homage to the fact that Chekov was once transformed into a sentient crab. That's just a thing that happened in a book some dude wrote and no one cares.

It's so weird and it almost seems to miss the whole point of Star Wars. It was made to be a riff on campy Buck Rodgers serials and is supposed to be a light, accessible space fantasy adventure. The EU tries to make it into a "real" universe that is completely serious with a rigid history and lore.

Star Trek on the other hand is really episodic and its continuity is way, way looser than most Trekkie nerds would like to admit. Really, really stupid poo poo happens in Star Trek constantly but it doesn't really matter because they never refer back to it.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Some Star Wars art is surprisingly good.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

what's up with the supporting poles on the circular ships? you don't need structural supports like that in a vacuum :colbert:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

What does it look like?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
EU actually stands for Extremely Ungood.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Cloud city runners taking out Jabba's barge while a bunch of imperial speeder bikes zoom past. That's so EU (pronounced eww)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

"Lando sends his regards, Jabba".

quote:

Are those Klingon Bird Of Preys? They don't really follow any design seen previously in Star Wars.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Trast posted:

What does it look like?

It's not as bad as the T Wing though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gently caress you the E-Wing is the poo poo.

The Preybird sucks though.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 16, 2015

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
It's too bad star wars will never be as cool as battlestar galactica

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, that's an E-Wing that's been redesigned by a fan to not look poo poo. The actual E-Wing looks like poo poo. It's supposed to be the the newest, most high-tech fighter but it looks like a shittier X-Wing.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Looks like Greedo got a weave and some blasterproof implants

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, that's an E-Wing that's been redesigned by a fan to not look poo poo. The actual E-Wing looks like poo poo. It's supposed to be the the newest, most high-tech fighter but it looks like a shittier X-Wing.

Still looks good. Look at the one on the right that's burning up. Looks like the redesigned one.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Does every letter of the alphabet have a stupid Republic ship yet? I wanna see a G-wing

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Preybird sucks though.

The K-Wing

The X-TIE

The Z-'ceptor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually don't mind the K-Wing. Reminds me of an A-10 with a B-17's chin turret.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Heh, it's a dick

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hexel posted:

A miserable pile of idiot nerdery.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 16, 2015

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Nckdictator posted:

The Z-'ceptor

I actually kind of like this. It's something that's been cobbled together out of spare parts and looks like it's going to fall apart at any minute. It looks like something that somebody might actually put together in a living breathing world.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I like E Wings :saddowns:

EDIT:

Young Freud posted:

"Lando sends his regards, Jabba".

Are those Klingon Bird Of Preys? They don't really follow any design seen previously in Star Wars.

Those my friends are the Hapans. They're what you'd get if the people on the covers of cheap romance novels created a space empire.

Fun fact-their ruler fell in love with one of the Solo kids, despite the fact he cut her arm off in a training accident.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 16, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I actually kind of like this. It's something that's been cobbled together out of spare parts and looks like it's going to fall apart at any minute. It looks like something that somebody might actually put together in a living breathing world.

Looks like they shoved a Y-Wing through a Tie Fighter.

quote:

The Z-'ceptor was a type of "Ugly" starfighter that was cobbled together from the salvaged parts of Z-95 Headhunters and TIE Interceptors.

Hmmmm, "Ugly" is capitalized, in quotes, and is a hyperlink. What would Wookiepedia possibly say about "Ugly?"

quote:

An Ugly was any type of starfighter that had been cobbled together out of parts that had been salvaged from varying origins, including crashed starfighters and ex-military surplus. The term itself seemed to be of Corellian origin.

Oh, okay. This term isn't especially "dumb" to me, just bizarre. And a little dumb. But fine by Star Wars standards.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SirPhoebos posted:

I like E Wings :saddowns:

I actually got them confused with the uglier T Wings from TIE Fighter.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:colbert:

I had such a dumb crush on Ru Murleen as a kid and i also liked Rebel Assault 2 as it had a fun dumb story

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the t-wing is actually a pretty neat design. it looks like something someone would buy to show off to their spacefighter enthusiast friends because of how 'slick' it looks when, in fact, it's a pile of poo poo designed to filch idiots from their space dollars

it's like the worst fighter in any game its in, worse than z95s iirc

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The T-Wing is a ricer shuttle.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Nckdictator posted:

The Z-'ceptor

i could see this actually being in a star wars movie in a junk heap somewhere so it gets a pass in my book

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

So much poo poo in Star Wars comes from people whose biggest creative influence is hamburger pizza.

Little known fact: this is actually an early prototype of Darth Insanious's personal Ickymobile, which is now the official name of a new class of imperial fighters we forgot to tell you about before now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I love the concept of splicing two completely different ships together like it's ever gonna make something usable because it's so obviously ridiculous if you apply it to anything in the real world.

"Hmm yes if I can combine these random components from this out of service A-10 Warthog with a half of a wrecked Russian MiG from that scrap dealer. Surely this will result in fully functional aircraft."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

I love the concept of splicing two completely different ships together like it's ever gonna make something usable because it's so obviously ridiculous if you apply it to anything in the real world.

"Hmm yes if I can combine these random components from this out of service A-10 Warthog with a half of a wrecked Russian MiG from that scrap dealer. Surely this will result in fully functional aircraft."

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what's up with the supporting poles on the circular ships? you don't need structural supports like that in a vacuum :colbert:

maybe they want to land it some time.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i got my e wings at sxsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like the Tie Crawler. It's a loving tank, apparently.

Elevators.

• Locked thread