Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

TheKingofSprings posted:

Marth and Lucina are not good

I am sorry
That seems to be the case! Ike also comes across as worthless against decent opponents. Suck it, Fire Emblem fans.

I've generally been impressed with SSB4's balance, having encountered a lot of different characters being used extremely well. There's just a handful that are like, what the hell am I even supposed to do with these useless fuckers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Whatev posted:

There's just a handful that are like, what the hell am I even supposed to do with these useless fuckers?

All the more fun. Git gud :c00lbutt:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Whatev posted:

That seems to be the case! Ike also comes across as worthless against decent opponents. Suck it, Fire Emblem fans.

I've generally been impressed with SSB4's balance, having encountered a lot of different characters being used extremely well. There's just a handful that are like, what the hell am I even supposed to do with these useless fuckers?

You've got Robin if you want decent FE people, I guess :v:

Also I gazed into the future hell that is For Glory just now. I was immediately paired up with and played 4 games with a textbook flowchart Diddy, losing the first one.

Every loving banana slip is a free 24% damage and I die around 115% against an almost impossible to evade up air. Thankfully the guy wasn't actually all that good and I got more than a couple free shield breakers off him (and one pretty funny kill where I took him out with his own banana as he tried to recover using his rocket barrels), but it's looking bad.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Your Computer posted:

All the more fun. Git gud :c00lbutt:
If you can whoop my rear end with Olimar, I'll suck your dick, bitch. And I never make that offer unless I am at least like, 60% sure I won't end up sucking a dick.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

TheKingofSprings posted:

You've got Robin if you want decent FE people, I guess :v:

Also I gazed into the future hell that is For Glory just now. I was immediately paired up with and played 4 games with a textbook flowchart Diddy, losing the first one.

Every loving banana slip is a free 24% damage and I die around 115% against an almost impossible to evade up air. Thankfully the guy wasn't actually all that good and I got more than a couple free shield breakers off him (and one pretty funny kill where I took him out with his own banana as he tried to recover using his rocket barrels), but it's looking bad.
Having played a good loving amount of matches on For Glory on 3DS, I have yet to encounter a single one of these super Diddys. Really, I don't recall encountering any fights where I truly felt like I stood no chance because of bullshit mechanics. Ain't saying there's nothing like that, but it's definitely harder to find and a step up from past games, where it was more-or-less literally impossible to beat a few opponents with my boy Wolf cause he could for real be chain thrown from 0% to death.

Also nothing to do with anything, but what is with the facial animations being so bizarrely horrible in this otherwise beautiful game? N64 quality poo poo. Find me another current gen game that does not have transition animations between an open and closed mouth. Motherfuckers look like they're cracking walnuts in there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I beat the guy 3 times out of 4, but it was because he wasn't a good player, and they were way closer games than I would've liked anyways.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Whatev posted:

Having played a good loving amount of matches on For Glory on 3DS, I have yet to encounter a single one of these super Diddys. Really, I don't recall encountering any fights where I truly felt like I stood no chance because of bullshit mechanics.

Yeah, I've also never met any of these. I do however feel like 1v1 For Glory is mostly either mopping the floor with someone or vice versa. Matchmaking would be nice :negative:

Whatev posted:

If you can whoop my rear end with Olimar, I'll suck your dick, bitch. And I never make that offer unless I am at least like, 60% sure I won't end up sucking a dick.
But Olimar looks so stupid :( The most important part of choosing a character in Smash is choosing a character that you think is cool. In my defence I've never played Pikmin, and in my language 'Pikmin' roughly translates to "my dick" so I ask to be excused.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Olimar is a deep-space long haul trucker and family man who commands a limitless army of tiny soulless plant men who will gladly die for him without a second thought. He has survived crash-landing on a planet where the very air is toxic and everything wants to kill you, slain monsters hundreds of times his size, made enormous sums of money on treasures he recovered(though most of it went to paying back debt), and has a wife and two children waiting for him at the end of the day.

Basically what I am saying is Olimar is, in fact, a pretty cool guy.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 16, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

meta knight wants people to fight him because he has everything to prove and nothing to lose

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Whatev posted:

Marth seems waaaay goddamn harder to use in this one.

I feel the same way about Link. But he's always been crap so v:shobon:v

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Link is good in this game though. He has an abundance of kill moves, a bazillion tools, and is good weight and speed for once. Especially compared to the previous iterations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Away all Goats posted:

Link is a little ridiculous this time around actually. His projectile game is amazing and his new dash attack is good. As a Robin player, I have a lot of trouble getting past those projectiles to do anything meaningful.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Link is a little ridiculous this time around actually. His projectile game is amazing and his new dash attack is good. As a Robin player, I have a lot of trouble getting past those projectiles to do anything meaningful.

Robin Players should never be approaching?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Away all Goats posted:

Link owns and is a million times better in Smash 4 than in any previous iteration. Throw boomerangs and watch people get angry.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Sade posted:

Link owns and is a million times better in Smash 4 than in any previous iteration. Throw boomerangs and watch people get angry.

Your boomerangs should be fade-away fyi. I have people hit me during the boomerang windup all the time, its about as long as the Gyroid windup.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Robin Players should never be approaching?

all of his projectiles beat robin's except for thoron, and 1. thoron isn't that useful at low percents and 2. good luck getting that charged up against link. robin has no choice but to approach in that match up and she doesn't have the mobility to do that

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, I wish I were able to charge up a Thoron against a Link but I can't, so it's either sit there and be pelted by arrows forever or try to approach and force Link to do sword things.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If I can beat Link with Ganondorf y'all bitches can beat him with robin.

It's not even canon ffs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ganondorf has superarmor on like 90% of the things he can do, doesn't he? Robin doesn't. :colbert:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cicadas! posted:

Olimar is a deep-space long haul trucker and family man who commands a limitless army of tiny soulless plant men who will gladly die for him without a second thought. He has survived crash-landing on a planet where the very air is toxic and everything wants to kill you, slain monsters hundreds of times his size, made enormous sums of money on treasures he recovered(though most of it went to paying back debt), and has a wife and two children waiting for him at the end of the day.

Basically what I am saying is Olimar is, in fact, a pretty cool guy.

Technically Pikmin have souls because you can see the souls departing when they die :goonsay:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ChaosArgate posted:

Ganondorf has superarmor on like 90% of the things he can do, doesn't he? Robin doesn't. :colbert:

No. Just his warlock punch and maybe a little on his side smash.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I admit I haven't played much Robin, but isn't the sword really powerful? Combined with how you can lock people in with Arcfire and Thunder...2? that sounds like a lot of potential.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Robin plays a spacing game similar to Marth from Melee in that you want to be far enough away to always hit with Arc Fire but also hit with the very, very tip of his anime sword. He doesn't get tipper, but any hit from that thing will murder people, so you generally want to float like Puff and Marth right outside of people's range and poke with bair.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Robin's best killing tool is the Levin Sword and following up an Arcfire with a Levin Sword strike is great. I've gotten people in Arcfire -> Levin Sword -> Levin Sword -> Levin Sword chains and it's great. Arcthunder (this one's thunder 3) is hard to follow up with a Levin Sword, but if you're close enough, you can follow up with a grab instead for really good damage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

I admit I haven't played much Robin, but isn't the sword really powerful? Combined with how you can lock people in with Arcfire and Thunder...2? that sounds like a lot of potential.

Generally, he gets most of his kills from the Levin Sword, and Thoron at times, with the spells functioning as damage rackers and setting people up. But let's all agree that without the Levin Sword, his swordplay would be garbage.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Generally, he gets most of his kills from the Levin Sword, and Thoron at times, with the spells functioning as damage rackers and setting people up. But let's all agree that without the Levin Sword, his swordplay would be garbage.

I wouldn't say garbage, but mediocre at best. The bronze sword can be handy for gimping people's recovery but it's a little tricky to do that.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I wouldn't call Marth/Lucina bad at all. They're just middleground, and people aren't used to them not being top tier. Marth has been an overpowered poo poo for two games straight and now he's actually balanced.

I also think Ike is fairly decent in this game, he just needs to be careful with how he plays. There was a video a while back that someone posted of an Ike tearing through some Sonic players and it showed that he has some potential, although not a *lot* admittedly.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I wouldn't say garbage, but mediocre at best. The bronze sword can be handy for gimping people's recovery but it's a little tricky to do that.

Works for me.

That said, I think some design choices in regards to Robin makes his swordplay aesthetically the worst out of all the sword users... and makes him look rather bad with a sword compared to when he casts spells (or when he strategizes).

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Just just use jab combo until bair can kill.
I hope u enjoyed reading my guide for Ike, the fire's emblem

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Clearly Sakurai played Robin as a mage.

Seriously though, stuff like Robin's dash attack look really amateurish when juxtaposed against like Marth's or Ike's swordplay. It just really emphasizes that Robin's bread and butter are her spells and the swordplay shouldn't be relied on too much.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Seriously though, stuff like Robin's dash attack look really amateurish when juxtaposed against like Marth's or Ike's swordplay. It just really emphasizes that Robin's bread and butter are her spells and the swordplay shouldn't be relied on too much.

:agreed:
Robin is definitely a mage in this game. The swordplay is incredibly strong but it feels very "whelp, I guess I'm swinging a sword now :shrug:"
Pro Robin strat though, when whenever you're not pursuing or just evading attacks you can chalk it up to strategizing :pseudo:

Also it feels weird to read "his" attacks since Robin is clearly female.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

:agreed:
Also it feels weird to read "his" attacks since Robin is clearly female.

if female Robin got the white mage outfit this would be indisputable

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Or just look at his smash and aerial attacks without the Levin Sword. If it wasn't for the fact that Levin Sword is practically a magic sword infused with thunder magic, his range with those attacks would be really bad.

Also, I think a mage is pretty much how everyone played him. And, well, I'm pretty happy that Sakurai made it clear that he's more of a mage since I'm sick of males from JRPGs being focused on swords. (Also, he clearly has Magic as his asset and Speed as his flaw.)

(Also very glad that Robin's main gender is male, since JRPGs tend to give females all the magic power.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I was talking more about Robin's general form, but yeah Bronze Sword is pretty crappy compared to Falchion and Ragnell. And speak for yourself, my first Robin was a swordsman. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

(Also, he clearly has Magic as his asset and Speed as his flaw.)

further damning evidence that Sakurai is Bad At Video Games

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

(Also very glad that Robin's main gender is male, since JRPGs tend to give females all the magic power.)

Still feel like they should have included Isaac from Golden Sun with his kickass Psynergy for a proper interesting JRPG protagonist :colbert: (Or Jenna, Garet, Sheba, Ivan or any of the others....)

e: Kraden for Smash Bros 2020

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I was talking more about Robin's general form, but yeah Bronze Sword is pretty crappy compared to Falchion and Ragnell. And speak for yourself, my first Robin was a swordsman. :colbert:

That too, but since Robin has the Levin Sword which slings out thunder magic when he attacks, his range (and power) gets rather good with it and it somewhat makes up for (and disguises) his poor sword skills. You could say that Robin gets worse every time he must recharge one of his magic aspects (his tomes and his Levin Sword).

(And also, the choice in the Levin Sword further highlights the fact that Smash!Robin is a rather poor swordsman compared to his magic skills.)

Your Computer posted:

Still feel like they should have included Isaac from Golden Sun with his kickass Psynergy for a proper interesting JRPG protagonist :colbert: (Or Jenna, Garet, Sheba, Ivan or any of the others....)

e: Kraden for Smash Bros 2020

I'm rather happy with them picking Robin though. Finally someone other than Pikachu who primarily uses electricity in his moveset. (And dark magic through Nosferatu.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

something's not right here...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

something's not right here...

Psynergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Literally my favorite thing about Robin is when one of her resources is completely depleted, to be honest. Grabbing a depleted weapon and chucking it is Robin's true secret weapon.

• Locked thread