Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

MechaCrash posted:

"Working on the Gundam" series sounds pretty good until you check which Gundam series. "Worked on Destiny" is not really a ringing endorsement, I'm afraid.

Noooooooooo.

I'm not a huge Gundam fan, but I watched Seed and that was pretty bad and I heard Destiny was worse.

I'm gonna update OP with info soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MechaCrash posted:

"Working on the Gundam" series sounds pretty good until you check which Gundam series. "Worked on Destiny" is not really a ringing endorsement, I'm afraid.

Hey, at least it's not AGE.

:gonk:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah this seems like it's leaning more towards the earlier Xeno- games in tone than it is Xenoblade, which is a shame as the shounen framing and hot blooded no-nonsense protagonist helped alot in making the series' philosphical plotting and gnostic themes more relatable and engaging.

I mean we'll see and I'm still totally going to pick this up because the exploration looks amazing but I'm expecting a big dip in the story department as things stand

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can see this is going to be one of those games where you focus on exploration and combat and try your hardest to ignore the cringe-inducing plot.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mak0rz posted:

I can see this is going to be one of those games where you focus on exploration and combat and try your hardest to ignore the cringe-inducing plot.

What a lovely step backwards if this is the case. They had a winning solution with Xenoblade's plot and just had to clone the "deep" concepts it presents and introduce some fun oh poo poo moments and it seems instead we're getting Generic Anime Robot Game with Generic Silent Protagonist. I'm guessing the generic player character is to bring uniqueness to online battles or exploration so I get that but I really hope the story isn't some massive heap of garbage.

I'm playing FF13-2 right now and I enjoy the battle system but jesus christ the story is a giant curly turd, the characters and their dialogue are embarrassing and it all literally makes me fall asleep.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 16, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was quite funny how idiotically single minded Shulk was at the beginning of the game, even after it's been extensively established the Monado can't hurt faced mechon in every cutscene he still keeps going after Metal Face like this time it'll be different before going down in like two seconds

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Actually decided to go and find out Hyodo's further writing credits, and its... a mixed bag for sure.

Basically, he's got some experience with the general genre Xenoblade Chronicles X is in - mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, etc. But he's also got a lot of stuff that I wouldn't exactly call the gold standard of writing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Louisgod posted:

I'm playing FF13-2 right now and I enjoy the battle system but jesus christ the story is a giant curly turd, the characters and their dialogue are embarrassing and it all literally makes me fall asleep.

As bad as the story will probably be in Xenoblade X, there is no way it can beat the turd story that the XIII games had

Astro Nut posted:

Actually decided to go and find out Hyodo's further writing credits, and its... a mixed bag for sure.

Basically, he's got some experience with the general genre Xenoblade Chronicles X is in - mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, etc. But he's also got a lot of stuff that I wouldn't exactly call the gold standard of writing.

All of those credits are poo poo except for Gun X Sword and Wagnaria and he's only credited as a media writer for Gun X Sword so I don't think he had anything to do with it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I love that new trailer. A big part of Takahashi's world building style is to constantly impress you with the physical scale of things, and it doesn't look like this game will be any different.

You guys are getting too worried about the plot. Xenogears was his first game, and it got its funding cut, and Xenosaga was conceived as a 6-game clusterfuck. Also, Nintendo is overseeing it all. Just because the sci-fi elements are returning doesn't mean X is going to be a dissertation on Gnosticism, guys. I do hope though that the MC gets lines in battle. I'd be sad to see battle chat go away.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
That trailer definitely sold me on the game if I wasn't before (and the Wii U). I suspect the story wont be quite as solid as the first but the world looks so BIG this time around. My stomach dropped when the character jumped off the giant cliff. I can't wait to play that poo poo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I hope you can use a Shulk amiibo to inexplicably play as Shulk instead of Blandy McNovoice.

want to get a shulk amiibo

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

For some reason I thought that the MC was customizable? Was this a fever dream I had during last E3 or something?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hopeandjoy posted:

For some reason I thought that the MC was customizable? Was this a fever dream I had during last E3 or something?

I also was under that impression which is why I laughed so hard at the derpface version at the end of the trailer.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

hopeandjoy posted:

They are. I don't think they got into it too deeply in the Treehouse demo but you can customize your character. Not sure about gender but everything else seemed to be adjustable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Louisgod posted:

They are. I don't think they got into it too deeply in the Treehouse demo but you can customize your character. Not sure about gender but everything else seemed to be adjustable.

Yes, they even showed it for a moment at the E3 event that your main character can be female or male.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I remember the original trailer for this had a closeup of Shulk at the very end but I guess that was just for marketing purposes? This probably has zero to do with the previous game which is kind of a shame. Still impressive as gently caress and looks like a day 1 purchase but I'm gonna miss Reyn Time, as well as the (likely gone) British accents.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dragon Quest VIII's localization set the localization style for all subsequent games in the series. Maybe the same will be true for Xenoblade, and we'll get British voices despite the game taking place in New Los Angeles.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The onboard computer for the Dolls better have unlockable Xenoblade voices for its AI. I don't care how many Amiibos I'll have to buy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I can't get over how bad the faces look in this game. The main character in particular.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rascyc posted:

I can't get over how bad the faces look in this game. The main character in particular.

At least you'll be able to change the MC's derp face. I wonder exactly how much customisation there'll be.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rascyc posted:

That chick with the Monado berette has a particularly mournful mug.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
There's a five minute offscreen gameplay footage of Xenoblade 3D here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8HNLX7xpeM

I'm not really worried about Kazuho Hyodo contributing to the project, apparently he only did a couple of episode scripts for Destiny so he wasn't responsible for it being a flaming bag of poo poo.

Outside of some of the human faces like Lyn (the monado clip girl) and the MC (which is customizable) I'm not particularly bothered by the faces. The alien faces look fine from what we saw in the E3 trailer. They're better than Xenosaga Ep 2's uncanny valley full of them at least.

I'm curious about the way the music is going to turn out. Takahashi is rather picky about it, during the original Xenoblade's development according to Iwata Asks he wrote scathing criticism to the composers until they got it right and wrote the lyrics to the ending song himself. For X he insisted on having Sawano as the composer, probably after hearing his Gundam Unicorn soundtrack since he seems to love that series.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

For some reason, the protag they use for the latest trailer reminds me of Brian Peppers.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm still pretty surprised at the idea of Xenoblade being on a handheld. Aside from graphical and framerate stuff, are there really no other compromises like needing to add new loading screens?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You've pretty much nailed it. Reduce framerate and resolution, as well as the texture qualities, then have loading screens take as long as they need to for the hardware to run it.

e; also Xenoblade was for the Wii, which had about as much processing power as a 1998 nokia

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's hard to really tell from that video, but the frame rate looks better to me than in the announcement trailer. The textures looks worse than the wii version, it seems, but that's to be expected. It's not like the wii version has stellar textures to begin with.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So in X, do we have any idea yet if the protag is going to be completely silent ala a generic MMO character, or if it will be voices with a semi-set personality like a Bioware game? The early trailers made it look like it was the former.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Butt Ghost posted:

It's hard to really tell from that video, but the frame rate looks better to me than in the announcement trailer. The textures looks worse than the wii version, it seems, but that's to be expected. It's not like the wii version has stellar textures to begin with.

Actually the Wii version has fantastic textures, it's the hardware itself that made the game look like poo poo.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So in X, do we have any idea yet if the protag is going to be completely silent ala a generic MMO character, or if it will be voices with a semi-set personality like a Bioware game? The early trailers made it look like it was the former.

We don't know exactly, but there is an option for what voice you want for them. Could be something like the Avatar for Fire Emblem Awakening.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

NTT posted:

Actually the Wii version has fantastic textures, it's the hardware itself that made the game look like poo poo.
Oh. Well, point is, Xenoblade isn't the prettiest thing when playing on actual hardware, and until we get a closer look at the 3DS version, it doesn't look like too much of a downgrade to me. :shrug:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I have a feeling Xenoblade ran under Dolphin is going to end up looking better than X.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

planetarial posted:

There's a five minute offscreen gameplay footage of Xenoblade 3D here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8HNLX7xpeM

I'm not really worried about Kazuho Hyodo contributing to the project, apparently he only did a couple of episode scripts for Destiny so he wasn't responsible for it being a flaming bag of poo poo.

Haha, wow. That trailer is awful. "Hey, what's the best way to show off combat in this game? I know! I'll go gently caress with something twice my level!" :shepface: "Oh poo poo, that didn't work. Let's try something six times my level!" :shepface: "That went poorly, but maybe now I can beat that first guy twice my level!" :shepicide:

It's kind of hard to show what things look like to new buyers when combat consists of "run up to dude, get completely ruined."

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So I want to try this Xenoblade Chronicles thing out that everyone won't shut up about. Do y'all suppose it's worth waiting for the 3DS release, or would the game be better played on a Wii? $60 ain't exactly that steep for a game that looks like it'll consume a stupid amount of my time, but if the 3DS version is gonna be cheaper (and portable, that's a bonus) without losing too much then it might be worth it? I dunno.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BlackFrost posted:

So I want to try this Xenoblade Chronicles thing out that everyone won't shut up about. Do y'all suppose it's worth waiting for the 3DS release, or would the game be better played on a Wii? $60 ain't exactly that steep for a game that looks like it'll consume a stupid amount of my time, but if the 3DS version is gonna be cheaper (and portable, that's a bonus) without losing too much then it might be worth it? I dunno.

Portable RPGs are pretty awesome. No one has played the new port, but it's a very long game that's probably better for extended couch time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember that it's going on the New 3DS, not the 3DS. Nintendo apparently did not learn from the Wii-U's poor start as a result of most consumers not realizing it was a new, completely different console.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is it even really a new console? It feels more like the 32X if it were released as a different Genesis model. Well, either way, you can't play Xenoblade 3D on the original 3DS or 3DSXL

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

Xenoblade's better off when played on a big screen and looks even more gorgeous when on the Dolphin with the resolution cranked up. And it might be best to wait a little bit to see how well the port runs. And you can only play the port on the N3DS so if you had no intention of getting a N3DS before it is going to be more expensive anyway. That said, if you were going to get a N3DS anyway, sure why not?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I wouldn't say the New 3DS is a completely new console. It's not a Wii -> Wii U situation, I'd call it more Game Boy -> Game Boy Color, or DS -> DSi: there are upgrades in the hardware, and some games can use them, and other games will require them, but they're mostly the same thing. I do agree that the name is stupid, though, and would have gone with 3DSi. It sounds different from the old machine and doesn't have the "could lead to some Who's On First bullshit" problem.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MechaCrash posted:

Haha, wow. That trailer is awful. "Hey, what's the best way to show off combat in this game? I know! I'll go gently caress with something twice my level!" :shepface: "Oh poo poo, that didn't work. Let's try something six times my level!" :shepface: "That went poorly, but maybe now I can beat that first guy twice my level!" :shepicide:

It's kind of hard to show what things look like to new buyers when combat consists of "run up to dude, get completely ruined."

Well if you wanted to show off the future vision mechanic, the quickest way would be to go fight something that can kill you in one hit :v:

That doesn't explain doing it again twice more though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
New characters!

http://xenobladex.jp/character/chara05.html
Apparently named "Chia"

http://xenobladex.jp/character/chara04.html

Sorta wish I knew japanese, but apparently the guy's name is somethingsomething VAN DAMME

• Locked thread