Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Never had a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I mean I believe you as someone who has never had to do it. Just going from Word of Mouth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

use a sharp knife

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'd just karate chop 'em - a three-inch punch to the skull to explode its heart or whatever. I feel like the goat ghost would be jumping around a little happier in goat heaven knowing that his death was wicked fuckin' sick.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

IslamoNazi posted:

I have a much more niche question for the thread. Carp / mullet are somewhat bland fish that have a histamine reaction when distressed that can cause them to end up with a really bad / muddy flavour. If you drop them on ice straight after catching them it stops the reaction. Does anyone know if you can get the same result by instantly processing them (killing, gutting etc) after catching them?

I'm willing to become a test guinea pig for this information but have a vague notion that carp may actually be eaten by people so it may be a solved problem.

Catfish also counts for this if it helps.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drifter posted:

I'd just karate chop 'em - a three-inch punch to the skull to explode its heart or whatever. I feel like the goat ghost would be jumping around a little happier in goat heaven knowing that his death was wicked fuckin' sick.

:goonsay:

cool story

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I mean I believe you as someone who has never had to do it. Just going from Word of Mouth.
Somehow or other shochetim have been managing to produce edible meat for a couple millennia without too many complaints. An animal whose throat has been cut drops a lot faster than you might be imagining.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

IslamoNazi posted:

I have a much more niche question for the thread. Carp / mullet are somewhat bland fish that have a histamine reaction when distressed that can cause them to end up with a really bad / muddy flavour.

I'm guessing you mean freshwater mullet. What's keeping you from chucking it in a cooler of saltice?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Knife to the throat. The pigs we do a rifle shot to the skull, but that ricochets too much with the goats.

I can see that, goat bones are as hard as stone.

I know, I shattered a tooth on a tiny sliver of goat bone.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Apologies for this maybe crazy question, but I'd appreciate any answers I can get, and hope I get plenty of replies:

How can I make a typical american yeasty standard issue glazed donut, and not just transform it into something great, but also give it a mexican flair? Oh, and the kicker, facilities are rather limited, so try to be as simple as possible, and also, all I'll have to cook with is a Large BBQ grill.

Thanks again for any and all input/answers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Bananana posted:

Apologies for this maybe crazy question, but I'd appreciate any answers I can get, and hope I get plenty of replies:

How can I make a typical american yeasty standard issue glazed donut, and not just transform it into something great, but also give it a mexican flair? Oh, and the kicker, facilities are rather limited, so try to be as simple as possible, and also, all I'll have to cook with is a Large BBQ grill.

OK. Well, I have two suggestions, not sure how helpful they will be. When you say grill, do you mean gas or charcoal?

First, as to the using of the grill, it would be possible, but incredibly stupid and dangerous, to put a pot of oil on the heat and fry your doughnuts. This is stupid. This is dangerous. And you won't be able to control the heat of your oil at all (unless you have gas, in which case, you have a little more control). . But if you somehow are in the woods and someone has a gun to your head and is demanding doughnuts or your brains will decorate the forest floor, then sure, go for it. Use a tall, heavy stockpot and as little oil as possible to minimize spill potential and good luck.

As for a Mexican flair, you might be able to make a dulce de leche style glaze. You can probably make it ahead of time and bring it with you to the 'facility' and just heat it up over the grill heat. Add a little cinnamon and maybe a pinch of cayenne. It takes a while to make if you want to do it right

½ cup evaporated milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
½ cup heavy cream
2 tsp. cornstarch

combine all ingredients in a saucepot and Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for up to 2 hours until thick and caramel colored, stirring occasionally.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 16, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The Bananana posted:

Make a cheeseburger out of it

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

CzarChasm posted:

OK. Well, I have two suggestions, not sure how helpful they will be. When you say grill, do you mean gas or charcoal?

First, as to the using of the grill, it would be possible, but incredibly stupid and dangerous, to put a pot of oil on the heat and fry your doughnuts. This is stupid. This is dangerous. And you won't be able to control the heat of your oil at all (unless you have gas, in which case, you have a little more control). . But if you somehow are in the woods and someone has a gun to your head and is demanding doughnuts or your brains will decorate the forest floor, then sure, go for it. Use a tall, heavy stockpot and as little oil as possible to minimize spill potential and good luck.

As for a Mexican flair, you might be able to make a dulce de leche style glaze. You can probably make it ahead of time and bring it with you to the 'facility' and just heat it up over the grill heat. Add a little cinnamon and maybe a pinch of cayenne.

Sorry, I might not have been clear-- I am trying to utilize and incorporate items I already have. In this case, I have access to already prepared donuts. So I wont have to make the donuts, but I do want to know if there is any way to liven them up. The Cinnamon, dulce de leche and cayanne are good tips though. I'd already considered the first two. Thanks and hopefully the clarification can lead to more tips.

Also, using a charcoal grill, and MAYBE a gas grill too.

Gyshall posted:

Make a cheeseburger out of it

Realtalk: I make a mean DonutBurger™, a tasty breakfast sandwich, but It's a little more intensive and involved than I want to get into for this event, as well as being a breakfast food, whereas I am preparing to make a more lunch oriented meal.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm guessing you mean freshwater mullet. What's keeping you from chucking it in a cooler of saltice?

Bushwalking so won't have access to ice or anything

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Okay, brainstorming here:
I'd like to use Cajeta
Cinnamon
Dulce de leche
Maybe chocolate?
Cinnamon sugar

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Bananana posted:

Okay, brainstorming here:
I'd like to use Cajeta
Cinnamon
Dulce de leche
Maybe chocolate?
Cinnamon sugar

You know how donuts with a maple glaze and bacon bits on top are popular?

Do a dulce de leche glaze and chorizo bits.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

IslamoNazi posted:

Bushwalking so won't have access to ice or anything

If you gutand skin the fish (fillets are difficult on carp, and the scales are super tough) the instant you kill it, then put it imediately on the fire, you might get away with it. I'm talking less then 5-10 minutes from death to fire.

Then maybe salt liberally and roast on green sticks from a tasty hardwood tree.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2015

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The Midniter posted:

You know how donuts with a maple glaze and bacon bits on top are popular?

Do a dulce de leche glaze and chorizo bits.

An interesting idea. Not sure if my audience will have the palate to appreciate chorizo on donuts, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Bananana posted:

An interesting idea. Not sure if my audience will have the palate to appreciate chorizo on donuts, though.

You'd have to use chorizo seco for it to work.

Even then, though, meat on donuts is pretty gross imo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You'd have to use chorizo seco for it to work.

Even then, though, meat on donuts is pretty gross imo.

It's jsut sugar and bread. Like you've never eaten a ham sandwich with apple slices inside. :colbert:
Or what, like, a reuben or whatever?

Meat on donuts DOES strike me as rather hipster-pretentious, however.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

While I have never eaten a ham sandwich with apple on it, there is a quantitative difference between fruit being added to a savoury item and meat being added to a confectionary item. That difference being that one of those things is fundamentally gross.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The local hipsteria makes a tasty grilled pear and bacon sandwich, fwiw

Note: however, i am still inclined not to make a chorizo topped donut.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

grilled apple, bacon, tomato, cheese sandwiches own

bacon on donuts does not

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

What about a simple bread pudding, using diced donuts, apples, cinnamon, cajeta and dulce de leche?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Bananana posted:

What about a simple bread pudding, using diced donuts, apples, cinnamon, cajeta and dulce de leche?

That would work, though it sounds sooooo sweet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hit me with your pro-est stuffed pepper recipes, please. My fiancee likes to request these every once in a while and when I make them ab initio like that I'm never happy with the results.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Aren't cajeta and dulce de leche just different names for the same thing?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Aren't cajeta and dulce de leche just different names for the same thing?

I think the difference is cajeta is a darker brown, and also made from goats milk.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

The Bananana posted:

I think the difference is cajeta is a darker brown, and also made from goats milk.

A quick google leads me to see that cajeta is indeed goat (or half goat and half cow milk), and dulce de leche is all cow milk. Except sometimes they are called by either name :v:

I for one can't really taste a difference and they are both delicious

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

C-Euro posted:

Hit me with your pro-est stuffed pepper recipes, please. My fiancee likes to request these every once in a while and when I make them ab initio like that I'm never happy with the results.
If you mean stuffed peppers like peperoni ripieni then I like breadcrumbs, persillade, anchovy, pecorino, s&p. A lot of American recipes are basically for meatloaf with a pepper wrapper, and I've never been crazy about that form of the dish.

If you mean stuffed peppers like what are sometimes called poppers then I think my current favourite is dry fried shishitos with chèvre, s&p, and then finished with a little soy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubG posted:

If you mean stuffed peppers like peperoni ripieni then I like breadcrumbs, persillade, anchovy, pecorino, s&p. A lot of American recipes are basically for meatloaf with a pepper wrapper, and I've never been crazy about that form of the dish.

I have always been crazy about that form of the dish. It's hearty, delicious, a good way to get kids to eat veg, and a decent way to stretch a pound of ground beef to feed 6 people. I make Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers. It helps if you grind your own meat, so you can grind together chuck, cheap short rib, and a bit of bacon. Try for a 70/30 for the stuffing (buying a nice butcher grind is also good if you don't what to bust out the grinder and are not using this recepie as a cheap way to feed people with your pound of scrap meat). Mix the meat with cooked brown rice, minced yellow onion, and seasonings (worcestershire, bit of paprika, slivers of sun tomato packed in olive oil) . Stuff into peppers. Top with cheddar and smoked gouda. Bake at 350f until peppers reach an internal temperature of 160f with a probe thermometer. Side with fries or kettle chips.

It's not fancy, but it's delish.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 17, 2015

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

How the heck do you slice up raw bacon? I have a bunch of recipes that want me to cut it into little pieces before cooking but even with the sharpest knife I have and cold bacon from the fridge it's just way too stretchy. I always end up just cooking the slices and crumbling them. Should I toss it in the freezer or something, or is there something I'm missing?

Also: is there still a food exchange thread, similar to the beer exchange thread but for mysterious overseas snacks?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fuzzy_logic posted:

How the heck do you slice up raw bacon? I have a bunch of recipes that want me to cut it into little pieces before cooking but even with the sharpest knife I have and cold bacon from the fridge it's just way too stretchy. I always end up just cooking the slices and crumbling them. Should I toss it in the freezer or something, or is there something I'm missing?

Also: is there still a food exchange thread, similar to the beer exchange thread but for mysterious overseas snacks?

par freeze it, throw it in the freezer until its a bit slushy but still pliable.

this trick also works for slicing beef, chicken, and pork super thin

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

fuzzy_logic posted:

"Your sharpest knife" sounds like it might be dull. Sharpen it and then try. Bacon can be difficult, there's lots of connective tissue and if it's warm the fat can make it slide around under the blade, but if your knife is actually sharp you shouldn't have an issue. It's also easier to slice up thicker slices of bacon, so buy thicker-cut bacon over the skinny sad super-thin cheapo bacon. (If you aren't doing that already.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nicol Bolas posted:

"Your sharpest knife" sounds like it might be dull. Sharpen it and then try. Bacon can be difficult, there's lots of connective tissue and if it's warm the fat can make it slide around under the blade, but if your knife is actually sharp you shouldn't have an issue. It's also easier to slice up thicker slices of bacon, so buy thicker-cut bacon over the skinny sad super-thin cheapo bacon. (If you aren't doing that already.)

Yeah, that sounds like a dull knife to me. Even my victorinox beater goes through bacon without problems, let alone my sharp knives. Like Grav said, chilling the meat can work wonders, but I'd really look into sharpening or getting better knife.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Cut more than one slice at a time; and then if you can cut through the top few slices and it's only the bottom ones that don't cut, you might also have a lovely cutting surface, or poor technique.

Make sure you're actually slicing the meat, forward and back, and not just compressing it down the way you'd chop an onion quickly or something.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Does anybody have a recommendation or Internet resource for someone in my situation? I'm not overly concerned with the ethics, but I am interested in incorporating more and more vegan food into my diet because of lactose intolerance and a preference for vegetarian foods regardless. So far, I've been eating a lot of processed foods (e.g. soy-based taco meat) which I'm not proud of - I guess I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to cook unprocessed foods to my satisfaction. I'd kinda rather just eat a raw bell pepper than try to spice and jazz it up, but just veggies doesn't leave me full - at least, not yet, since I've only been on this kick for a couple weeks and I'm sure I'm still more physiologically accustomed to eating less healthfully.
One exception is a lentil and rice dish made in my rice cooker, steaming frozen veggies in the compartment above, but I don't always nail the spices and sometimes it's flavorless mush.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
To add to the bacon slicing solutions, if an actual sharp knife is not available, use a pair of scissors.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

What works for me is tossing bacon in the oven whole, then when it's nice and crispy, dicing.

Of course, I only dice bacon to put in my salads, so idk if this method offers you a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

fuzzy_logic posted:

I use kitchen shears. It involves holding slabs 'o bacon in-hand, but well worth saving myself the frustration of trying to slice it with a knife.