Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lawen posted:

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that they could do some cool Top Gear sets. Hell, half the poo poo they build on the show is like the automotive equivalent of a double decker couch. The campers/caravans (particularly Clarkeson's modern apartment camper) or pickup truck hovercraft are good examples. I'd buy a Reliant Robin kit too.

Some company did do Lego knockoffs with the Top Gear brand already. Had The Stig and everything. I was shocked when I saw it, especially since I live in the US, and saw them at a Toys R Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hmm, if they are doing Top Gear sets, that would indicate they've worked out a deal with BBC Worldwide, the BBC's merchandising arm. To which my first thought is "What other BBC properties might they have also just worked out deals for...? What other BBC properties are currently sitting in the Ideas tray with an unknown status...?"

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I hope the doctor who stuff is good, then I'll even if go to London again if I need to to get ahold of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neurion posted:

The Dreamworks smirk on him is really selling it for me.

He's also well prepared with hearing protection.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Davros1 posted:

Some company did do Lego knockoffs with the Top Gear brand already. Had The Stig and everything. I was shocked when I saw it, especially since I live in the US, and saw them at a Toys R Us.

They actually released an offical Top Gear Lego Stig keychain about 2 years ago. It's the simplest thing in the world but I love it. :)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I want a polybag with Hammond sitting in a little Barbie 911.

EDIT: in case you've never seen the episode, http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj95dl_ham_auto

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 15, 2015

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It'd be great if for a Stig minifig, they had the visor be completely opaque and the head either have no printing whatsoever, or just a big 'ol '?' smack dab in the middle.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I went and checked out a local TRU for Series 13 minifigs, someone must have got to all the hotdog men because I swear I checked out a ridiculous number of bags and didn't find any of them. Given the popularity of the hotdog, I suppose I should just bricklink it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just wait until later in the series run. Usually by about the time the next series is announced there's several boxes of the current series just rotting on the shelves. The jorts crowd will have spent themselves by that point.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
There's an Official Lego Stig (key ring).

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It'd be great if for a Stig minifig, they had the visor be completely opaque and the head either have no printing whatsoever, or just a big 'ol '?' smack dab in the middle.

I was thinking the helmet and head would just be one solid piece.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Target wants $4.39 for minifigures now, gently caress that

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
I was in target and found they had the double decker couch and the new minifigs, got the couch and a few minifigs. Now that I have the hotdog guy my life is complete.
As an aside I felt a few and it seemed like they had a bunch of hotdog guys. If people are interested I could go back and get a couple more if people are really having a hard time finding them and ship them out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Has anyone else noticed that the rubbery animals that come with minifigures don't stick very well? I'm seriously considering gluing a white circular stud to the bottom of the seagull that came with the Sea Captain in Series 10.

Also, I'm getting back into MOCs and I'm not sure how I ever lived without sand.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

No Egrets posted:

I was in target and found they had the double decker couch and the new minifigs, got the couch and a few minifigs. Now that I have the hotdog guy my life is complete.
As an aside I felt a few and it seemed like they had a bunch of hotdog guys. If people are interested I could go back and get a couple more if people are really having a hard time finding them and ship them out.

I'll take as many hotdog guys as you can get. I have a feeling they will be good trade bait on the minifig trading forum and I can use some of them to fill in my other needs.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Made an admittedly shite Reliant Robin, we'll just call it a prototype. I like the makeshift Stig though, used the fencer's outfit and a black stormtrooper head turned backwards. Gotta make do with the pieces you've got, right?

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
I guess the economy recovered, because Target/Walmart have almost nothing for big clearance near me. Last few years I got so many awesome sets 50-80% off because they were retiring, the stores were dumping them and no one bought them. This year, almost all the sets got wiped out when it was only 10-20% off.

I also didn't see Toys-R-Us doing any BOGO50% off sales during the holidays. I could have sworn they did last year. Was hoping to pick up duplicates of 31015 Emerald Express and 31026 Bike Shop once they got past the TRU tax phase. Any ideas when you'll do their next round of sales?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Mine GO BOOM posted:

I also didn't see Toys-R-Us doing any BOGO50% off sales during the holidays. I could have sworn they did last year.

I know I saw these in Target before Christmas, but for Duplo.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Roots Radical posted:

Made an admittedly shite Reliant Robin, we'll just call it a prototype.

That's delightful. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Microfighters are just great. It's a shame Lego doesn't really have many other licences where they'd work as well. Marvel and DC I guess could be good.

They should do a Microfighter Death Star too.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

mattfl posted:

I'll take as many hotdog guys as you can get. I have a feeling they will be good trade bait on the minifig trading forum and I can use some of them to fill in my other needs.

What forum do you use?

The only clearances I saw this year were for Chima stuff. I think everything else legitimately sold out before the holidays. The increasing popularity of LEGO is making it more difficult to find deals sometimes.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The stores here just don't do clearance, I checked for S13 minifigures and saw a technic backhoe (8069) from 2011 in the shelves of the first store and the alien mothership at the second. Both for full price.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

McDragon posted:

Microfighters are just great. It's a shame Lego doesn't really have many other licences where they'd work as well. Marvel and DC I guess could be good.

They should do a Microfighter Death Star too.

Microfighter Slave I would be the best.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ika posted:

The stores here just don't do clearance, I checked for S13 minifigures and saw a technic backhoe (8069) from 2011 in the shelves of the first store and the alien mothership at the second. Both for full price.

A department store near me has a really good toy selection, all up to date stuff, except the Transformers toys. They have Revenge of the Fallen toys still, which came out in 2009. At full price. And they won't order anything new until those sell. :cripes:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

bloodysabbath posted:

Microfighter Slave I would be the best.

That's be a good one. Although it'd take some doing to beat the AT-AT. It's just so ridiculously posable. It can do headstands and the limbo and dog play bows and all sorts of things. I might have to make mine an armchair to sit in as well. Vulture Droid and Spider Droid are quite nice as well. Basically all the ones with feet are excellent.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pirate Ken posted:

What forum do you use?

http://swapfig.com/

I've had real good luck trading on here. Probably have done 10 or so trades with people.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Roots Radical posted:

an admittedly shite Reliant Robin

But really, is there any other kind?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI, the IKEA VITTSJÖ shelves make a pretty good display case for a Lego collection. They have enough height to fit my modulars, and wide enough to fit four of them (with a half inch overhang). Pretty fancy looking for $80, and you can add on more units if you need more space. Only negative is that the shelves are spaced a bit far apart for any models other than modulars.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20213312/

The fact that I bought a new shelf unit, and moved all my sets to it, and it's full, suggests I may have a problem.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

smackfu posted:

FYI, the IKEA VITTSJÖ shelves make a pretty good display case for a Lego collection. They have enough height to fit my modulars, and wide enough to fit four of them (with a half inch overhang). Pretty fancy looking for $80, and you can add on more units if you need more space. Only negative is that the shelves are spaced a bit far apart for any models other than modulars.

The fact that I bought a new shelf unit, and moved all my sets to it, and it's full, suggests I may have a problem.

You certainly do. You need more shelves!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

smackfu posted:

Those are really nice looking shelves, my problem is I have close to 3 shelves from Walmart completely filled up and at $80 a pop that could get expensive fairly quick. Only issue with my current shelving is the lack of light from all sides, might have to get around to rigging some inexpensive LEDs to the inside shelves.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's what it looks like installed. The vehicles at the very top are at about 6 feet tall.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What are you going to do when another modular comes out?!:mrgw:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's worse than that. It's "what am I going to do when I build the modular in a box in my closet?" :)

Maybe another shelf for modulars and demote the town stuff to somewhere else? Or sell off some of the sets I don't care that much about.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How do y'all dust your display sets without the tiny detail pieces on top popping off? I've yet to master it, especially antennas and stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

How do y'all dust your display sets without the tiny detail pieces on top popping off? I've yet to master it, especially antennas and stuff.

Big soft makeup brush. You may have to reattach some bits, but it's Lego, that's kind of its thing.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So over the past three years I've been collecting lots of loose brick, some of it from work (PAB pieces that wind up on the floor are usually swept up over the course of the day, and as they can get really dirty they are usually thrown out,) some of it from sets I bought long ago for parts. The bags and boxes had been cluttering up my room for too long, so tonight I went out and bought two 66 quart Rubbermaid buckets. I've amassed quite a lot of nice parts, as well as general stuff like plates and brick. Altogether I've got maybe 55 quarts worth, and the 2nd bucket is going to be for future part purchases. It feels nice getting rid of the clutter, but its going to be a pain in the rear end down the road when I finally start sorting my loose brick for projects.

Also, I had a customer tonight that was convinced he could make good money buying PAB cups and flipping the parts on Bricklink. I'm not a fan of reselling, but more for people snapping up popular sets that kids would want down the road. With bricks I suppose it's not such a big deal. Still, I was skeptical it was a good idea, considering he'd be looking at what I imagine to be pennies worth of profit. He specifically pointed out to me that 2 x 4 dark grey bricks were selling for $0.22 a piece, and I countered that the only reason that seller turns a profit is because of volume. He was adamant, though, quoting a questionable statistic that less than 10% of Americans are within driving distance of a Lego store, and that somehow meant he could flourish in the brick flipping market. I told him that most of the time people in the piece selling business will buy sets that contain pieces in rare and useful colors and then sell the parts individually. He said he knew a guy that had success just buying PAB parts and he had a 'system' to work out exactly how much each piece would cost him. Things got even more awkward when he bemoaned the fact that he could not identify what exact color the bricks in the PAB wall were, as he was hoping the 2 x 4 bricks we had in a light blue were one of the rarer shades. He told me he'd go order a part of every color from BrickLink so he could compare them to our stock. Even more awkward was the fact that he had dragged his girlfriend along with him for this business endeavor, and she didn't look particularly comfortable to be there.

What I'd like to know is if this poor guy is chasing a pipe dream or is actually onto something, albeit in a somewhat misdirected manner.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SaNChEzZ posted:

:unsmigghh:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

:frogout:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Trying to make a Securitron from Fallout with an incredibly limited parts selection. I already know the pieces I want to order to fix the arms but is there a better piece for the face? Like a rounded rectangle plate?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That picture's way too small, dude, I can barely make it out.