Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

autism enthusiasts claim every important historical figure had aspergers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Popular Thug Drink posted:

based on other people's descriptions of him, he fits all the criteria. he had no friends, did not socialize, did not have facial expression, showed little emotion, talked oddly, dressed like a slob, read tons of books about generaling to the exclusion of everything else, slavishly devoted to a legalistic interpretation of the rules, seemed to completely lack empathy, etc.

also thomas jefferson was on the spectrum. guaranteed.

Jefferson had a bangmaid while not being a reclusive artist, doesn't sound like being on the spectrum at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

R. Mute posted:

which ideas, specifically? the only thing i know about him is what the war nerds keep posting in this thread

nationalism,, federalism, the "inevitability" of war and destruction.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

i'm watching the man in the high castle pilot and i know it's just a pilot and all but drat guys this babby's first cgi is distracting. like, you can shoot the foreground in a studio at least

If it's any consolation i think they used up all their cgi budget for the pilot.

It was a bit goofy tbh

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

Jefferson had a bangmaid while not being a reclusive artist, doesn't sound like being on the spectrum at all.

jefferson was socially awkward, hated public speaking, didn't leave the house much and had a comfort animal. he tinkered with monticello obsessively for decades. he designed the carvings on the mantlepiece to like ten decimal degrees of precision, that's some ullillillia poo poo right there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yeah and he was right.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

he tinkered with monticello obsessively for decades. he designed the carvings on the mantlepiece to like ten decimal degrees of precision, that's some ullillillia poo poo right there

Monticello is ugly as gently caress.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This does not go into any of that crazy poo poo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Also Sherman was a war criminal you yankee scum

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"All war is a crime" ~ some guy on The West Wing

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

this conversation was resolved thousands of years ago

scipio africanus: who was the best general of all time?

hannibal: me lol

scipio: no respect no respect at all

hannibal himself had a huge nerdboner for pyrrhus for some reason.

I have never understood Pyrrhus's sterling reputation considering his whole career was just carpetbagging around the med, starting and then narrowly losing wars with whoever he could find

epeirots: the Buffalo Bills of the ancient world

Disinterested posted:

Monticello is ugly as gently caress.

UVA is pretty as hell though. Too bad it is inhabited by UVA

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 16, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

eh the worst thing he did was permit freedpersons to tag along with him knowing that he wasn't capable of feeding or protecting them while also pursuing his mission

i mean like a little lovely, but not really

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Sherman actually left receipts for everything he destroyed.

Also: Crazy Horse was probably a better cavalry commander than anyone in the Civil War on either side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought NB Forrest was held to be a top calvary mans.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
little bighorn is one of my fav. battles

custer's all "here's the plan. i'm going to split my forces into a bunch of little units and send them all over the place. them i'm going to take me and six of my blood relatives and like 1/10th of my dudes and we're going to ride straight at that huge pissed off indian camp over there"

zoux posted:

he was, also stuart and sheridan were good but crazy horse was baller

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

zoux posted:

Forrest and J.E.B. were both fucks. Forrest was a competent gently caress.

I'm a fan of John Buford. I like to imagine foppish southern cavalrymen popping their monacles at the vulgarity of using dragoons

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 16, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

He got a huge postwar boost to his reputation for founding the KKK, but there was the time when he led two regiments of cavalry against two infantry companies defending a railroad crossing and lost miserably.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

little bighorn is one of my fav. battles

custer's all "here's the plan. i'm going to split my forces into a bunch of little units and send them all over the place. them i'm going to take me and six of my blood relatives and like 1/10th of my dudes and we're going to ride straight at that huge pissed off indian camp over there"

he was, also stuart and sheridan were good but crazy horse was baller

And then his XO managed to avoid hearing the battle until it was all over bar the shouting.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
General pershing was a visionary, he invented a number of anti muslim memes we still have today.

He also founded a fruity club for rifle twerling and poo poo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
pointing out hideous mistakes from civil war generals isn't that illustrative given the rock bottom standards of the war

gotta have like a three strikes rule

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Should have hanged more plantation owners

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

paragon1 posted:

Should have hanged more plantation owners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-dzCt2xeSo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So why was US Generalship so bereft in the ACW?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

And then his XO managed to avoid hearing the battle until it was all over bar the shouting.

Tried and true method of receiving a battlefield promotion

zoux posted:

Most of the Regular army officer corps was southern pre-war.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

euphronius posted:

seems like pretty light thought crimes for the times

kustomkarkommando posted:

If it's any consolation i think they used up all their cgi budget for the pilot.

It was a bit goofy tbh
it's goofy as gently caress, even for a alt history of ww2. it's currently at early sons of anarchy levels, but i have a feeling it'll shoot up to the rest of sons of anarchy levels soon enough. y'know, if they actually make it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

because leadership roles are handed out by seniority rather than skill and most of the dudes that learned poo poo in the mexican war fought for the confederacy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

this was before the era of what we might call 'professionalism' in war leadership. like the prussians had JUST invented the concept

also prior to WW2 the military generally stayed pretty small except in wartime so your cadre of maybe a handful of decent generals is enormously diluted by civilian soldiers, back in the day when just buying a bunch of guns and uniforms and showing up with your own homebrew unit got you at least a colonel's hat

also yeah most of the US's good generals decided to go fight for the south, and lincoln basically had to just test out dudes and fire them until he found one (grant) that didn't suck

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 16, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the CSA having the better officer corps isn't nostalgic southern bullshit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

the south did have better generals, but they weren't better enough to make a meaningful difference

while the union was fumbling around in 1861/2 constantly tripping over its own feet the south just had to maintain a baseline standard of adequacy to not lose the war

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

yes and no, the union had good officers as well, they just had a whole lot of morons to shitcan first

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

pointing out hideous mistakes from civil war generals isn't that illustrative given the rock bottom standards of the war

gotta have like a three strikes rule

Well, we also have Tupelo and Wilson's Raid and Third Murfreesboro, so...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Well, CSA had a more experienced officer corps, who often slept with each other pre-war, organized around a cohesive agenda with strong incentives for victory. If their officers lost, not only wouls they lose their lovers, their wives would bitch them out for having to give up their slaves.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yes and no, the union had good officers as well, they just had a whole lot of morons to shitcan first

With a larger army and less cohesive agenda, more purely political appointments were made by USA than by CSA. Basically, USA was never on total war footing, whereas CSA genuinely gave the war its all.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

zoux posted:

The US had an army of 12,000 that was mostly an old boys' club, and its only real land war up to that point was against Mexico while it was itself in the middle of a civil war. It spent the first 50 years of its existence in actions which history books don't like to remember too loudly that they usually amount to little more than congress rubberstamping strongmen like Jackson, and going through radical reorganizations. The army of the 1860s was stable, professional, and too small to make a dent.

quote:

No, it pretty much is, neither side had enough officers for modern mass mobilization scale armies and ended up either having proprietary officers, people rapidly promoted based on who they knew, or elected officers for the first year of the war.

Ultimately it turned out that there really isn't that much to officer academies besides prestige.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i guess the better way to put it is that the south was able to immediately put their most skilled officers in higher positions, more or less (joe johnston) whereas the north inherited a legacy command structure full of dead wood

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Agnosticnixie posted:

The US had an army of 12,000 that was mostly an old boys' club, and its only real land war up to that point was against Mexico while it was itself in the middle of a civil war. It spent the first 50 years of its existence in actions which history books don't like to remember too loudly that they usually amount to little more than congress rubberstamping strongmen like Jackson, and going through radical reorganizations. The army of the 1860s was stable, professional, and too small to make a dent.

No, it pretty much is, neither side had enough officers for modern mass mobilization scale armies and ended up either having proprietary officers, people rapidly promoted based on who they knew, or elected officers for the first year of the war.

A national army requires regular pay and taxation rates which simply could not pass while the South maintained control over Congress. When you fight to maintain your property and priviledge, both real and perceived, in the form of slavery, then you're willing to fight for lower, less regular pay.

Basically, the southern gentry kept their capital in the form of humans, while industrial northerners kept it in the form of money. Having capital kept as human enables you to enjoy a much more leisurely life, whereas northern men required regular and stable pay in currency. Playing officers was a pasttime for southerners, with organizational experience persisting from slave hunts and continuous drilling on the basis of fear of a slave uprising, whereas playing militia was a drunken weekend pasttime for northerners.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 16, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

No, that's one thing that legit historians agree upon.

Of course it helps that Franklin Pierce made Jefferson Davis his secretary of war like 10 years before the Civil War so he could stack the deck in the South's favor for both war material and officers which was effective for the first year or two, but the South's aristocrats favored sending their kids to west point over traditional colleges were most of the northern aristocrats sent their kids to traditional college as opposed to west point.

vvv It's a super important part of US history since it set the stage for us becoming a world power vvv

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 16, 2015

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
man i am so glad my family came to this country after the civil war because i cannot imagine actually having to give a poo poo about this.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

man i am so glad my family came to this country after the civil war because i cannot imagine actually having to give a poo poo about this.

The south heavily restricted migration to HENRY WASPs, whereas northern cities welcomed cheap foreign labour with open arms.

A Winner is Jew posted:

vvv It's a super important part of US history since it set the stage for us becoming a world power vvv

Well, the standardization of rail gauge in America due to the civil war was one of the largest contributors to America's becoming a world power.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, the standardization of rail gauge in America due to the civil war was one of the largest contributors to America's becoming a world power.

Not only that but it broke the stranglehold that the south had on congress which lead to things like an income tax to pay for a shitload more rail lines, strengthened the federal government's power especially when it came to international trade and a larger military, and solidified that an industrial economy was vastly superior to agrarian economy which is why we were equal with England and Germany during the industrial revolution afterwards.

Basically the CW was a cleansing fire that led to the US running the world table afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

i had three relatives who fought for the north and one for the south. every one of them died of disease

• Locked thread