Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

2 3 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Arsenal would not sign Wolverine, he is very obviously a tenacious defensive midfielder. They would sign a pretty-boy like Gambit and wonder why he was looking more like Professor X (wheelchair optional) a year later...

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

chuggo is BACK posted:

Arsenal would not sign Wolverine, he is very obviously a tenacious defensive midfielder. They would sign a pretty-boy like Gambit and wonder why he was looking more like Professor X (wheelchair optional) a year later...

Iread itbwrong, sorry

fat gay nonce fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 17, 2015

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
lol bunnyx I actually read yours wrong as well

chuggo is BACK fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 17, 2015

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Im not an xmen expert but i think beast would sign for arsenal and its obvious why!!

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Beast is already signed to AFC Wimbledon

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
arsenal would sign the retard one that speaks with an accent that disappears and is blue.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
hes BLUE because he is DEPRESSED playing for arsenal. hahaha. #footybants. also the disappear this was a reference to disappearing in big games.

e. sorry i thought these posts were in pwm.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

right thread nonetheless

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

big soccer thread with title "is jurgen klinsmann a homophobe", lulzy posts ensue.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/is-jurgen-klinsmann-a-homophobe.2014835/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

big soccer thread with title "is jurgen klinsmann a homophobe", lulzy posts ensue.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/is-jurgen-klinsmann-a-homophobe.2014835/

its also why he dropped donovan imo

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

quote:

Klinsmann is Rand's Objectivist hero if there ever was one: he's handsome, successful, motivated by self-interest, despises weakness and opposes systems of control. He could've leaped right out of Atlas Shrugged. It's probably one of the reasons he has adopted the US to begin with, where a form radical libertarianism prevails.

Like most libertarians from this tradition (including Rand herself) Jurgen is hypocrite who opposes tyranny but behaves like a tyrant and seeks to control every aspect of his players' lives. They also tend to be non-collectivists (which is an obvious problem with coaching a football team). You can see this in the way Jurgen has tried to motivate players by appealing to their desire for individual achievement, which has been misguided in some instances (obviously Donovan). And of course, real objectivity is a lie, which is why the impartial, robotic Jurgen has repeatedly shown preference for guys like Julian Green who don't meet his objective criteria for selection. Objectivists make great strikers and Wall Street traders, but lousy leaders because they can't see past their own self-interest.

I think he probably just sees RR as "weak" or a quitter, which was his problem with LD. Of course, it could also all be nothing.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's this year's NaNoWriMo plot taken care of

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

quote:

That's extended meaning, but the proper meaning is the one in the dictionary.

A jerk was a carnival performer, who unlike the geek (who did gross things), stood around the crowds doing silly faces, animal noises, juggling oranges badly, and other such fatuous things, to amuse those waiting in line. So he was the least important of all the people working there, and easily ignored.

That's the proper meaning, and it's used to denigrate someone who insults you. By calling him or her a jerk, it means whatever they say is inconsequential.

The fact that the Bayern players figured Klinsmann was not going to work there, and what he talked about was not important for the games, fits like a glove the actual definition of the word.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Is this all because he said the MLS is poo poo or something?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Make no mistake, a top talent, a top lad. Doing great work both offensively, defensively, unfazed by pressure, building lovely understandings, constantly oozing confidence and it has been contagious for the team. I'd say this young man has easily been our best player recently and it doesn't seem as he'll ever look back.

Markovic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dunban posted:

Is this all because he said the MLS is poo poo or something?

He said the national team players aren't facing quality opposition in MLS, and somehow MLS signing more national team players is supposed to be some kind of massive own.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
take your pick

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/what-team-should-i-support-part-2-cont.958788/

quote:

I don't don't know which team has the most supporters on here so I might get blasted for this but I don't care. America's Team is Manchester United. I guarantee you even the number one soccer hater in the world will know Manchester United. I don't know how to explain it but when I was young and only remember watching Euro and World Cup I would always here about even on MSM about Manchester United nothing else. There is just something about the team maybe the players, the brand, the coach,the trophies. They a reason why there followed so much. If you are watching soccer for the first time you should follow Manchester United. Now if your one of those people who don't like rooting for the "biggest" team I would say Chelsea is the next best team. On the East Coast the team with the most Jerseys is Chelsea. There always in contention and always have a lot of recognizable players. Now I see on here the team recommend is Arsenal. I respect that but I don't understand why. First when's the last time they came to see there fans in the US. Not in the last few years ( if I'm wrong I apologize). Next is the Trophies . Yes they won the FA Cup and have had memorable BPL title seasons but when the last time they were in contention for something outside of England. I agree if you want to root for a team that you could say is an underdog Arsenal is your team. However not for someone new to EPL. Comments are welcome but like I said if you just wanting to yell at me Don't try. Thanks for reading

TL;DR: Manchester United is best choice ( America's Team,Brand)
2nd Chelsea (Many supporters,Good Team with many popular players)
Arsenal is good for the underdog team but not the best

8raz fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 20, 2015

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Hmmm well I was thinking of rooting for plucky underdogs Arsenal but I'm just not sure if they have the brand power I crave

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I went through this last year. I'm from Boston, but the Red Sox were not yet WS Champs and I was still very angry about the whole Bobby Valentine thing. I did not cross off Liverpool as a result but I refused to just let them be the default that the Red Sox wanted them to be. I put them in the mix and none of my friends who were Liverpool fans said to "Root for Liverpool and You'll Never Walk Alone". Why? I don't know. But I took their lack of trying to sell me as a negative. So I went to Wikipedia and looked at American Players in the PL. I narrowed it down to Sunderland, who had Altidore, my favorite US player, and Stoke City, who had the most US players on their team. I asked around and my cousin said "Not Stoke they're going to get relegated." I signed onto the Sunderland Rollercoaster ride, without knowing before it was a rollercoaster. Their FA Cup run and matrix-style relegation dodge hooked me.

If you are new to a league: Pick the obvious team, or you take a great risk of going Base Jumping without a parachute. hehehe For example our CEO is a big AS Roma guy, so when it comes to Serie A and Champions League, I'm a Roma fan!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I was once accused of being a glory hound because of my avatar, but my accuser was wrong. I was born in 1960 and the first sport I liked was basketball (however short an affair that was). By 1968 I was turned on to gridiron football, baseball by 1971 and soccer shortly thereafter. By 1972 I was on my high school soccer team. At some point there, I read about the Manchester United plane crash in Germany during 1958 and began following the club and what was going on in League Division One. I don't know why, but I seem to support those who have the most to overcome, just as I chose Lokomotiv Yaroslavl as my club to support in the Kontinental Hockey League after a plane crash decimated the team.

Now this might sound like a most ridiculous reason to choose a club, but I was born in Chester, Pennsylvania just south of Philadelphia (and now the home of Philadelphia Union) and since the name of my native city was spelled out in that of the Red Devils, I chose them as my club. That they went on to win another 13 English titles was unforeseeable.

If I were truly a glory hound, I would have chosen Leed's or Liverpool at the time.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Leed's

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

big fan of plane crashes here

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Agree 100%. I even think it's okay to flirt with a couple of clubs. You know date them for a few matches maybe even half a season. You can't get committed. Not allowed to use the "we" when describing them. But can admit a soft spot for them. If it feels natural take the plunge, if not flirt with another. But once you have made the commitment and identified yourself as a supporter that's it. You stuck for life. No divorces in football. Even if your favorite player leaves, a new manager gets the team relegated to the Conference North (which is a real accomplishment consider the team you support is Plymouth), or the chairmen screws his secretary loses the club and the ground to his vindictive wife in the divorce. No matter what you're stuck with them.

straight up brolic posted:

big fan of plane crashes here

in that case may i suggest queens park rangers they're rapidly on the rise in this demographic

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 20, 2015

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lamont Cranston posted:

in that case may i suggest queens park rangers they're rapidly on the rise in this demographic

:golfclap:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lamont Cranston posted:

Nah mate, actually they're on the decline.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
West Midlands Football Teams

Aston Villa
or
Birmingham City
or
Wolverhampton Wanderers

The reason being is because I've learned that the city of Birmingham is the sister/twin city to my hometown, Chicago. Since I don't have much of a geographical connection to any of the cities in England, save for Southampton where my aunt lives (married an Englishman), the sister/twin city would be, theoretically, the next 'logical' and 'well-reasoned' step to choose a team in my eyes. I never saw the "the team chooses you" way of doing as was, well, well-reasoned. I'm not compelled by such a mantra. And in my experience Man. U., Arsenal and Chelsea are the most chosen EPL teams that came out of the "team chooses you" stance, which is predictable. (Controversial and offensive, I know.) Then there's Wolverhampton Wanderers in Wolverhampton.

I'm aware that BC and Wolverhampton are not in the EPL. That's okay. I'm also aware that Aston Villa, in recent years, have been in the bottom half of the standings in the EPL. That's okay as well.

I'm looking at this in a "support your team no matter what division they play in." Though relegation is non-existent in the MLB, if I had to choose, I'd cheer for the Cubs over the White Sox, so dealing with a losing season has become normalcy.

What are the youth development philosophies of each team?

I know Birmingham City took a financial blow, so I'd like a team with "sound" finance, though BC isn't out of the running. This is where I wish Arsene Wenger was present in Birmingham football. (If had to choose between the top EPL teams, I'd probably choose Arsenal due to Wenger.)

I'm also putting "choose a team by their playing style" aside as well because I know managers are fired every few years, so if they're out then the style is out unless the new manager so happens to follow that same style. But, in saying that, I have soft spot for solid back fours since I was a centre-back in my days playing organized soccer. To me, without a good back four you don't have a "healthy" team.

If any Americans are on the team? Not a really factor. It helps, but like I said, not really a factor since players are sent out on loans and there's free agency. My favorite Bulls (NBA) player is Joakim Noah. If he ever left the team I'd be upset, but I woudn't suddenly cheer on his new team - I'd cheer for the Bulls, and I'd cheer for the Bulls if they were up against him. I'd follow the player but not the team.

Team colors and motto? Not really a factor. I feel the same way about those aspects as I feel about whether or not an American plays on the team.

Also, how are the fans of each of the three teams, in general? I know there are bad seeds in each fanbase, so it's not like I'm expecting cordial perfection out of the group. A turn off would be if a given team was known for hooliganism, like if they formed any "firms."

I know I rejected many common paths on choosing a team, but again, I'm looking at this at a more cold position, much less emotional: Choosing a team based where one lives. Or, for me, my sister city, which so happens to be Birmingham, England. Even if I move to another US city I'll be cheering on my Chicago teams. It is parochial, but that's what I'm about when it comes to sports teams. I don't follow "cheer for whoever you want f_ck the detractors."

I'm adding West Bromwich Albion (closer than Wolverhampton) & Walsall FC (close enough) to the list all while crossing out Wolverhampton Wandarers. So that's four teams I'm choosing from.

Aston Villa
or
Birmingham City
or
WBA
or
Walsall

And I'll make clear that it doesn't matter the league. AV is in EPL, BC is in Champion, WBA is a bordleline EPL+Champion club while Walsall is in League One.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

do europeans who watch american football go through these kinds of insane contortions to pick a team

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
TRP was packed with all those kinds of Bigsoccer type autism people until maybe like 2009 they began to be hunted as prey

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

Homework Explainer posted:

do europeans who watch american football go through these kinds of insane contortions to pick a team

Watching the Super Bowl I plastic for whichever team does not have a Manning or Tom Brady as quarterback. That's about it.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I was once accused of being a glory hound because of my avatar, but my accuser was wrong. I was born in 1960 and the first sport I liked was basketball (however short an affair that was). By 1968 I was turned on to gridiron football, baseball by 1971 and soccer shortly thereafter. By 1972 I was on my high school soccer team. At some point there, I read about the Manchester United plane crash in Germany during 1958 and began following the club and what was going on in League Division One. I don't know why, but I seem to support those who have the most to overcome, just as I chose Lokomotiv Yaroslavl as my club to support in the Kontinental Hockey League after a plane crash decimated the team.

Now this might sound like a most ridiculous reason to choose a club, but I was born in Chester, Pennsylvania just south of Philadelphia (and now the home of Philadelphia Union) and since the name of my native city was spelled out in that of the Red Devils, I chose them as my club. That they went on to win another 13 English titles was unforeseeable.

If I were truly a glory hound, I would have chosen Leed's or Liverpool at the time.

Small timers Manchester United, not like they had won the champions league 4 years before that and still had world class players or anything

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Round up round up lads for its time for more made up Scholes circlejerking from the daily mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...dream-team.html

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

TelekineticBear! posted:

Round up round up lads for its time for more made up Scholes circlejerking from the daily mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...dream-team.html

:lol: there's no loving way Pirlo wouldn't pick himself. And there's nowhere near enough backhanded compliments either.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Homework Explainer posted:

Asking a friend who likes that thing: He's been watching NFL since 2002 and he likes Reggie Bush so he started liking the New Orleans Saints. I think he started liking Reggie Bush first because he was a star debutant or whatever they call it, then because he apparently was banging Kim Kardashian.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Von Linus posted:

Asking a friend who likes that thing: He's been watching NFL since 2002 and he likes Reggie Bush so he started liking the New Orleans Saints. I think he started liking Reggie Bush first because he was a star debutant or whatever they call it, then because he apparently was banging Kim Kardashian.

Oh, I am more familiar with sinners than saints , my dear. And sinners always look good.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 23, 2015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://twitter.com/MadFootyMoments/status/557296526007877632

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

wrong thread

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Sterling is more like Messi, but Black. It's sharp turns, pace and body movement. Love Couts's skill but it ain't always necessary to beat your man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Brony Car posted:

Sterling is more like Messi, but Black. It's sharp turns, pace and body movement. Love Couts's skill but it ain't always necessary to beat your man

This but Jozy