Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I was sick the week or so we spent on the civil war in 11th grade US history so that's my excuse for why I apparently know none of the vitally important civil war factoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The civil war is played out, but on the other hand, the Philippine-American War is just Vietnam but 60 years earlier.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not only that but it broke the stranglehold that the south had on congress which lead to things like an income tax to pay for a shitload more rail lines, strengthened the federal government's power especially when it came to international trade and a larger military, and solidified that an industrial economy was vastly superior to agrarian economy which is why we were equal with England and Germany during the industrial revolution afterwards

It also brought about universal public elementary education in the South during Reconstruction.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shear Modulus posted:

I was sick the week or so we spent on the civil war in 11th grade US history so that's my excuse for why I apparently know none of the vitally important civil war factoids.

My 11'th grade class just watched Glory... which was Mathew Broderick's best role and a bad rear end movie you should watch if you haven't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Effectronica posted:

It also brought about universal public elementary education in the South during Reconstruction.

Yeah well we are sooo close to getting rid of that Yankee yoke placed on our necks for these 150 years.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

How many of you civil war nerds were history majors

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*raises paw*

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Effectronica posted:

The civil war is played out, but on the other hand, the Philippine-American War is just Vietnam but 60 years earlier.

Only with no news cameras so no one gave a poo poo when US troops ethnically cleansed entire villages.

Shear Modulus posted:

Math, but history was my favorite subject.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

man i am so glad my family came to this country after the civil war because i cannot imagine actually having to give a poo poo about this.

sometimes there's interesting stuff like finding out your hillbilly ancestors actively worked to sabotage the confederacy and hid deserters

all of a sudden one's own innate mistrust bordering on outright hostility toward authority makes a lot more sense

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

comes along bort posted:

sometimes there's interesting stuff like finding out your hillbilly ancestors actively worked to sabotage the confederacy and hid deserters

to be fair i have similar hillbilly family, but the cool thing there was finding out one fought in the battle of the bulge and was in the 101st airbone.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Winner is Jew posted:

Only with no news cameras so no one only Mark Twain gave a poo poo when US troops ethnically cleansed entire villages.

Also, not quite so eloquent:

John Roberts, 13th Minnesota All Volunteer Infantry posted:

We enlisted to fight the Spaniards, to fight them for two years if necessary, but we did not enlist to fight niggers in the Philippines, and if we had been asked to do so I, for one, would have refused.

"Albert Robinson, correspondent for the [i posted:

New York Post[/i]"]There are towns here which have been 'captured' again and again, each time with a 'glorious victory.' Today it is unsafe for an American to go even ten miles from the city of Manila.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

Not really. If we didn't invade the Phillipines, the Japs would.

And we all know that a distant master in Washington is far, far better than a close master in Tokyo, Beijing, Moscow, Brussels, or Berlin.

Effectronica posted:

The pacification of Cuba was a success of the Spanish-American War.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

Only with no news cameras so no one gave a poo poo when US troops ethnically cleansed entire villages.

smedley butler gave a poo poo :mad:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shear Modulus posted:

yo

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i've been listening to npr and let me just say i suddenly get all the stereotypes about it

jesus christ these people are insufferable. do i really have to listen to these people self medicate via radio show just so i can get to some weird rear end stories about weird rear end people?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not really. If we didn't invade the Phillipines, the Japs would.

uh it didn't stop them in 41

in 1899 the japanese were too busy mean mugging russia and creepily groping korea to go that far from home

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i've got a masters in history but i know v. little about the american civil war because it was unimportant and also lame

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

smedley butler gave a poo poo :mad:

not really, he was on the dole for landlords in Central America who were pissed at US troops came in and forced them to pay their national governments excise tarriffs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
also the philippine-american war was necessary; the phone system weren't gonna pay for itself

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i had three relatives who fought for the north and one for the south. every one of them died of disease
Was the disease a broken heart?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

R. Mute posted:

i've been listening to npr and let me just say i suddenly get all the stereotypes about it

jesus christ these people are insufferable. do i really have to listen to these people self medicate via radio show just so i can get to some weird rear end stories about weird rear end people?

If you want weird rear end stories about weird rear end people start listening to The Dollop podcast

They just did a short episode recounting the Killdozer :woop:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pangstrom posted:

Was the disease a broken heart?

no, im pretty sure they all poo poo themselves to death except for one guy who had a gangrenous arm

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

no, im pretty sure they all poo poo themselves to death

The thing which McClellan was boss at preventing, and for which everyone seems to poo poo upon him for.

Civil War was gonna be a war of attrition; McClellan realized this, and took measures to regiment camp health and hygine. 2/3rds of casualties in the Civil War were from preventable causes. Sure, McClellan could have taken more audacious movements in the Peninsular Campaign: to do so would have resulted in the standing army coming down with several outbreaks of infectious disease and would have further reduced combat efficiency.

Don't poo poo on a man who understands public health and the need for properly organized latrines.

uh it didn't stop them in 41

in 1899 the japanese were too busy mean mugging russia and creepily groping korea to go that far from home

Stopped them from 1899 to 1941. And Philipines aren't more than a day's sail from home islands for the Japanese policymakers of this period.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 16, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

The thing which McClellan was boss at preventing, and for which everyone seems to poo poo upon him for.

Civil War was gonna be a war of attrition; McClellan realized this, and took measures to regiment camp health and hygine. 2/3rds of casualties in the Civil War were from preventable causes. Sure, McClellan could have taken more audacious movements in the Peninsular Campaign: to do so would have resulted in the standing army coming down with several outbreaks of infectious disease and would have further reduced combat efficiency.

Don't poo poo on a man who understands public health and the need for properly organized latrines.

if you want an acw general that understood the benefits of a developed sewer system, ben "the beast" butler is your man

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Effectronica posted:

Mark Twain doesn't count since he's the only person in competition with Franklin and greatest American ever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

yeah thats why lincoln appointed him sanitary commish

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you want an acw general that understood the benefits of a developed sewer system, ben "the beast" butler is your man

chamber pots with his face painted in the bottom were popular household items in new orleans after the war lmao

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 16, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Butler, McClellan, Logan--they understood the need for sanitary encampments. And yet we believe southern revisionists and northern copperheads that McClellan was poo poo because he failed to win a decisive battle.

R. Mute, take heed, for Belgium failed to learn this lesson from the ACW: Decisive battles don't matter in wars of attrition.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The best thing to come out of the civil war is the 14 th amendment which is like crazy enlightened.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
migf goin full ben horne itt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tons of Supreme Court activity is just evading the plain meaning of the 14 th amendment

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean look at this jazz how could it be any more clear

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There are 19 paramilitary Muslim training facilities in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPIGEpgg3h8&t=90s

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

14th amendment is baller as gently caress

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maLIXQLxvvA

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

R. Mute, take heed, for Belgium failed to learn this lesson from the ACW: Decisive battles don't matter in wars of attrition.
weird, i'm assuming you're talking about wwi? belgium pretty much spent 90% of the war sitting behind the flooded yser, refusing to join offensives and occasionally having a bit of a rough and tumble with german sappers, so they obviously weren't looking for a decisive battle.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

Who's that?

quote:

The richest man in Twin Peaks, Horne is an archetypical 1980s cutthroat businessman, whose greatest desire in life appears to be the acquisition of wealth. As the series progressed, he was revealed, like many of the show's other characters, to have a hidden side; beneath his ruthless, greedy facade, he is a lonely, deeply depressed man who is disappointed with how his family and his life turned out.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Horne

What do I have to be disappointed about? You don't aim to innovate education in Africa without rolling with disappointment and banality of evil.

For instance, had a laptop stolen with year's worth of project data on it from E. Af. airport; $23k of capital expenditure and $80k worth of vencap in the pipes gone. C'est la vie, at least I don't stick loving bananas in a transax day-to-day.

R. Mute posted:

weird, i'm assuming you're talking about wwi? belgium pretty much spent 90% of the war sitting behind the flooded yser, refusing to join offensives and occasionally having a bit of a rough and tumble with german sappers, so they obviously weren't looking for a decisive battle.

And how many Africans died for Belgium, while white troops manned the machine guns in the rear to prevent their retreat?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 17, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Joementum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylFqdxRMwE

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

quick, someone get him a sandwich

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

comes along bort posted:

quick, someone get him a sandwich

melt that brie and then top it in a thick layer of grease. Chicago style.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

joeburz posted:

Jefferson had a bangmaid while not being a reclusive artist, doesn't sound like being on the spectrum at all.

I will still laugh at the word "bangmaid" when I am 95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
paging randler

also, migf i think you answered your own question

• Locked thread