Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How does archer stack up against summoner? I just hit 30 and got summoner but I'm really just not liking the DOT style of the class at all. I'll probably just level it later as a SCH with faster queues. This is my first char. I have THM at 15 as well, so I might do that instead, but archer might be easier for solo play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

If you're ranking them in terms of how much they're wanted for raids, BRD is #1 among dps and SMN is currently last.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Bard has lower damage but significantly higher raid utility with their buffing songs and their ability to apply DPS while handling mechanics.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

queeb posted:

How does archer stack up against summoner? I just hit 30 and got summoner but I'm really just not liking the DOT style of the class at all. I'll probably just level it later as a SCH with faster queues. This is my first char. I have THM at 15 as well, so I might do that instead, but archer might be easier for solo play.

Bard is also a dot class :ssh:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

queeb posted:

This is my first char. I have THM at 15 as well, so I might do that instead, but archer might be easier for solo play.

Algid posted:

If you're ranking them in terms of how much they're wanted for raids, BRD is #1 among dps and SMN is currently last.

No he's not asking that. Play whatever you want. You have to level up Archer a bit to get raging strikes anyway for SMN so you might as well see if you like it better.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
If you don't like dots you're going to have a rough time on most classes because every dps except black mage has at least two dots

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

DarkstarIV posted:

With the patch notes being released, its time for another official forum safari!!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/214549-Trials-in-patch-2.5

Pubbie in that thread bitches about how SE should have made the minimum ilvl for the new stuff higher than Shiva EX. Yes, that includes the storyline duties.

There are times I regret not still being some anonymous dude and thus can't completely flip out at this kind of idiot

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

There are times I regret not still being some anonymous dude and thus can't completely flip out at this kind of idiot

Are you like an OF superstar or something?

Not being sarcastic, genuine question.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Stufoo posted:

Oh yeah, never not use your Jobstone.

I disagree in the case of Marauder. The extra tp, dps cooldownS, and the availability of a slow debuff more than make up for the jobstone buff.

No feeling in the world like popping 5 dps buffs, holmganging a healer, then completely wrecking them :allears:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

just tag all the bad threads with #rekt #tears #ho

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

drunk asian neighbor posted:

No, I'm (ostensibly) an Actual Industry Professional so I actually need to watch my behavior and maintain decorum in online settings in general :v: the travails of working in the games industry and not being anonymous!

Kagemusha posted:

The title or achievement you get is "Ichiban" as well.

I wanted to bonk Koji on the head the instant I saw that achievement. Some puns simply go too far.

ilifinicus posted:

just tag all the bad threads with #rekt #tears #ho

don't tempt me

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Spacedrake is a successful games man and we like having him around. His most well known work is probably on Recettear

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Boten Anna posted:

I disagree in the case of Marauder. The extra tp, dps cooldownS, and the availability of a slow debuff more than make up for the jobstone buff.

No feeling in the world like popping 5 dps buffs, holmganging a healer, then completely wrecking them :allears:

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/fadf2b32981eb251c1d852a50cd25e9c20c4849c#battle

Jobless characters are kind of poo poo in PvP post-2.4 alterations due to how stats are adjusted in PvP based on Job or lack thereof. The extra DPS cooldowns are unlikely to make up for the permanent always up 10% DPS buff Warriors receive in addition to reduced incoming damage.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RuanGacho posted:

Spacedrake is a successful games man and we like having him around. His most well known work is probably on Recettear

Oh, neat!

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Doublestep posted:

You want VIT jewelry with Crit and Parry/Det on it I believe

My FC tells me that the scaling on Parry means it's always a garbage stat on any gear. Is it different in PvP? Or is the math wrong?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/fadf2b32981eb251c1d852a50cd25e9c20c4849c#battle

Jobless characters are kind of poo poo in PvP post-2.4 alterations due to how stats are adjusted in PvP based on Job or lack thereof. The extra DPS cooldowns are unlikely to make up for the permanent always up 10% DPS buff Warriors receive in addition to reduced incoming damage.

I havent done a lot of frontlines in 2.4 admittedly, but I've done some, and it still seems viable, but that does explain why I wasn't hitting the 11:1 k/d streaks I was in 2.3 so easily.

Damage is so bursty in PvP though that the extra cooldowns may actually make up for that 10%, however. The war/mrd day job is more annoying healers than dpsing, and the lnc crosclass that does slow is a nice addition to that toolkit, as is actually being able to sprint after the mages because you have 2 tp refreshes.

I guess I'll have to play both after the patch for a while and see what works!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How is participation for tanks calculated in fates? Is it based on damage done like DPS or can I just rack up a ton of threat with flash and get gold?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Verranicus posted:

How is participation for tanks calculated in fates? Is it based on damage done like DPS or can I just rack up a ton of threat with flash and get gold?

You must deal damage at least once in order to be flagged for credit. Once you do, though, you can just flash all day and get all the gold.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SpaceDrake posted:

You must deal damage at least once in order to be flagged for credit. Once you do, though, you can just flash all day and get all the gold.

Thank you. This is great.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Is it different by class role? Because you not only can get credit for a FATE by solely healing, you can do it by healing without bothering to level sync. Throw Regen on a bunch of level 30s, tank the FATE mobs, get gold.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You don't need to do damage to get fate contribution. You just need emnity so just mashing flash works.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

kafziel posted:

My FC tells me that the scaling on Parry means it's always a garbage stat on any gear. Is it different in PvP? Or is the math wrong?

We aren't talking about tanks. The extra mitigation from parry is Nice To Have on healers since you're wearing vit jewelry anyway

Don't go marauder in PvP unless you enjoy getting burned down faster than a black mage while doing less damage than warrior or paladin

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 16, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

You don't need to do damage to get fate contribution. You just need emnity so just mashing flash works.

Does this work even when you're not in a party and the mobs have been tagged by someone else?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Fate participation is purely enmity based for all roles, regardless of party membership. Same with hunt credit.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

oops think i was wrong @ that image i posted earlier.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/25m4v8/chinese_style_boss_the_year_beast_revealed/

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
someone noticed an interesting typo on one of the new trials:

square expecting some hefty body counts with this new patch it seems

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceDrake posted:

pm me something you want to say and i'll be ur mouth for you

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Any big surprises in those patch notes? It sounds like perhaps oaknot rewards may have increased, and there's some "secret" trial?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

Any big surprises in those patch notes? It sounds like perhaps oaknot rewards may have increased, and there's some "secret" trial?

I'd laugh if instead of increasing oaknot rewards, the added reward was a new currency that was needed to make the lucis tools.

And then I'd cry.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Either that or it'll be more rep. :catstare:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Nah, I figure they're going to add like five shards to each quest to match the lower level Ixali dailies.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

I thought this was some boss/mount that was exclusive to the Chinese version of the game that was coming out? The thread talked about it a while back.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Speaking of DoT classes, I wish there was a visual separation of your debuffs on a mob vs. everything else. I know they come at the start of the list and have a green font, but it's still hard to pick them out sometimes when things are hectic, and I prefer not to select the option to hide everyone else's effects. Just being able to glance up and quickly see how many DoTs are still up would be a huge help in deciding my next moves.

Also, is there an option to sort target's effects by time remaining? If there isn't, I would love to see that.

Luna Was Here posted:

someone noticed an interesting typo on one of the new trials:

square expecting some hefty body counts with this new patch it seems

The duty is failed if you accumulate 60 or more deaths. The encounter is designed around this. :unsmigghh:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That world make a lot of sense on what may be a really bizarre greg fight.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

DizzyBum posted:

Speaking of DoT classes, I wish there was a visual separation of your debuffs on a mob vs. everything else. I know they come at the start of the list and have a green font, but it's still hard to pick them out sometimes when things are hectic, and I prefer not to select the option to hide everyone else's effects. Just being able to glance up and quickly see how many DoTs are still up would be a huge help in deciding my next moves.

Also, is there an option to sort target's effects by time remaining? If there isn't, I would love to see that.

The duty is failed if you accumulate 60 or more deaths. The encounter is designed around this. :unsmigghh:

Each death gives Greg another arm. At 68 arms he just shakes his head and walks away.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Eej posted:

You're quite certain? I've tried it before (multiple times even) and gotten no credit at all despite having flashed quite a bit (and seen the blind connect etc.)

Meanwhile, FF World Problems: I remain torn between Lady-Midlander and Lalafell for the time being.

On the one hand, being a Midlander actually gives me legs and feet and does a better job of showing off my frankly-unsettling collection of Cute Shoes™, especially my Allagan-Bellbottoms-and-Lady's-Clogs combo for my current main job, as well as my Fistfighter's Jacket, Peltast Breeches & War Caligae ensemble as NIN/MNK, my preferred DPS. There's also a new hairstyle coming in the 2.5 cycle I'm interested in for my Midlander design. And the fact that the camera behaves a bit better in cutscenes when you're a normal-height human :v: And also the fact that, as much as I enjoy being Yololo Yolo, sometimes pubs think I'm just going to be a troll and it can cause all kinds of problems.

On the other hand... well... Lalafells. Lalafell animations, specifically, especially compared to the boringly Anime Girl Midlander animations. It's almost depressing how much better the Ninja animations are on Lalafells compared to practically everyone else (and not just the superior run and dash - the attack animations feel like they flow a little better, too) and letting go of /grovel, the /sits, /disappointed, the jumping /huzzah... it's difficult. Lalafells are also getting some hair options I've looked forward to in the coming patch (hairbands for everyone!), and seriously - I own the name Yololo Yolo. My inner Goon nearly compels me to use it.

This will all likely be moot come Heavensward as I am probably going Full Dragonprincess (and even then, the Lala animations might lure me back), but that's still some months away and in the meantime I am torn with indecision about what to be for 2.5. Midlander with actual legs or Lalafell with actual animations? It is a struggle. :smith:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 17, 2015

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Verranicus posted:

I thought this was some boss/mount that was exclusive to the Chinese version of the game that was coming out? The thread talked about it a while back.

yeah that's exactly what it is. i didnt even know there was a separate chinese version whoops

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

You're quite certain? I've tried it before (multiple times even) and gotten no credit at all despite having flashed quite a bit (and seen the blind connect etc.)

Meanwhile, FF World Problems: I remain torn between Lady-Midlander and Lalafell for the time being.

On the one hand, being a Midlander actually gives me legs and feet and does a better job of showing off my frankly-unsettling collection of Cute Shoes™, especially my Allagan-Bellbottoms-and-Lady's-Clogs combo for my current main job, as well as my Fistfighter's Jacket, Peltast Breeches & War Caligae ensemble as NIN/MNK, my preferred DPS. There's also a new hairstyle coming in the 2.5 cycle I'm interested in for my Midlander design. And the fact that the camera behaves a bit better in cutscenes when you're a normal-height human :v: And also the fact that, as much as I enjoy being Yololo Yolo, sometimes pubs think I'm just going to be a troll and it can cause all kinds of problems.

On the other hand... well... Lalafells. Lalafell animations, specifically, especially compared to the boringly Anime Girl Midlander animations. It's almost depressing how much better the Ninja animations are on Lalafells compared to practically everyone else (and not just the superior run and dash - the attack animations feel like they flow a little better, too) and letting go of /grovel, the /sits, /disappointed, the jumping /huzzah... it's difficult. Lalafells are also getting some hair options I've looked forward to in the coming patch (hairbands for everyone!), and seriously - I own the name Yololo Yolo. My inner Goon nearly compels me to use it.

This will all likely be moot come Heavensward as I am probably going Full Dragonprincess (and even then, the Lala animations might lure me back), but that's still some months away and in the meantime I am torn with indecision about what to be for 2.5. Midlander with actual legs or Lalafell with actual animations? It is a struggle. :smith:

Just keep the name and be a catgirl.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Just keep the name and be a catgirl.

christ no, I have some standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

SpaceDrake posted:

My inner Goon

SpaceDrake posted:

christ no, I have some standards