Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kastein posted:

My allegedly good G1W loving completely bricked itself and won't even boot after a couple months, F----- would not buy again.

Yes but was your initial review 30min after opening the box "OMG it so awesome A++++++ buy again!" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
There are a couple of one-way streets near my office, so I occasionally get to see people either go the wrong way down them or assume the two-way streets are actually one-way. Today I witnessed someone drive an entire block in the wrong direction and then attempt to make a left at the next intersection from what was, to the driver, the right lane. Apparently the fact that there were only signals in three of the four directions was not enough to clue him in because they actually tried to pull into the intersection as if they had a stop sign. For better or for worse, the driver actually managed to make his left turn without realizing what he had done. What's the German word for being mildly disappointed that a bad thing didn't happen to somebody as a result of a stupid act?

(Shockingly, the driver couldn't have been much older than 40. He had a similarly-oblivious passenger, which made the whole episode even more impressive. And in true Seattle fashion, no pedestrian bothered to knock on the window and let them know what was up.)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Not mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7wJEmKds0

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

quote:

I like to drive in the lane that gives me the most distance between me and the vehicles ahead of me. That's for my SAFETY. But if that's the passing lane, then I do go fast enough to justify being there. I'm more likely to pass than be passed, anyway. 

:stonklol:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kastein posted:

My allegedly good G1W loving completely bricked itself and won't even boot after a couple months, F----- would not buy again.

I got a G1W based on AI chat, but bought from an ebay listing, so a different seller and could have different internals. It's been good so far, and I've had it for ages, ever since mentioned here and on the dash cam talk website, so I've had it for about 18 months or more.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
So like four months ago I got cut off by this idiot in a black Mazda3 driving like a total rear end in a top hat:

http://youtu.be/gMiNE6agvr8

Today on the way home, driving down the same stretch of road, a black Mazda3 cuts me off and then proceeds to tailgate the guy in front of me and starts weaving through traffic. I look at the plate, and sure enough, it's the very same idiot:

http://youtu.be/JXUzGxGqCsY

Guess he hasn't learned his lesson (or totaled his car) yet. :sigh:

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkjWQRVvKYc

I recorded this truck doing a right turn yesterday afternoon. Being a truck driver must require so much loving patience.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saw an old rear end dude pee on his car yesterday before getting in (otherwise normal seeming other than the vis' dick) on my walk (don't own a car) home. Luckily, he was getting into the passenger side.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

dennyk posted:

So like four months ago I got cut off by this idiot in a black Mazda3 driving like a total rear end in a top hat:

Today on the way home, driving down the same stretch of road, a black Mazda3 cuts me off and then proceeds to tailgate the guy in front of me and starts weaving through traffic. I look at the plate, and sure enough, it's the very same idiot:

Dude needs a motorcycle, it makes it even easier.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eriddy posted:

I recorded this truck doing a right turn yesterday afternoon. Being a truck driver must require so much loving patience.

Whoever planned that route is dumb as hell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eriddy posted:

He's a newbie politely waiting for someone to volunteer him the space he needs. As he gains experience/loses patience, he'll learn that it's never voluntarily given up,

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

eriddy posted:

That's impressive. . . Where did this happen, I know sometimes that is unavoidable, but I would love to look at a map to see if the truck could have taken an alternate route, like say entering it straight from across the intersection instead of trying to make the impossible right.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

He didn't cut you off. Come to a place where there's real traffic and he gave you more than a car length. Everything after that? Yeah, he's aggressive and weaving.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

That's impressive. . . Where did this happen, I know sometimes that is unavoidable, but I would love to look at a map to see if the truck could have taken an alternate route, like say entering it straight from across the intersection instead of trying to make the impossible right.

In my small city there is a sanctioned route from the highway to the Walmart loading dock that keeps them off the main drag. The route is signed but their drivers go out of their way to try slightly shorter but unnavigable (no turning space) routes or paths through residential streets.

I'm guessing this is more like that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

thetechnoloser posted:

He didn't cut you off.

Disagree. He would have had to suddenly brake much harder coming up to the light due to the Mazda 3. Maybe not a full-on panic stop, but any time someone rips the wheel over forcing you to brake to avoid them, that counts as cutting off.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Probably because most truckers just use regular GPS's which don't take that into account. Hell, we've had truckers picking up from our company who have needed directions because they're a trucker in the year of our lord 2014 who don't have GPS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

He's a newbie politely waiting for someone to volunteer him the space he needs. As he gains experience/loses patience, he'll learn that it's never voluntarily given up,

When I was in high school, I was working in a Zellers back-office and one day we had this very young trucker pull into the loading dock. Probably only a few years older than me at the time. He said it was like his third or fourth job ever and he got stuck in a situation just like the video describes on the way over (since the Zellers was outside of some hellish canted intersection just like this and the loading dock was only accessible by driving through the regular parking lot or driving way out of the way to cut through the loading dock of a different store).

About a month later I caught up to him again and asked him if his job was getting any better. He smiled and in a Newfie accent I can't hope to replicate, bragged about how he made an Accord swerve onto the sidewalk to avoid him on his way in this afternoon.

I wonder what that guy's up to now.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
If you ever have occasion to drive in western Montana, be aware of the first one or two digits on most license plates. 4 denotes Missoula County, 1 is Silverbow,13 is Ravalli, etc. The old joke goes, "What happens when you fail your driver's test three times? You get 13 plates."

Well, that's not quite correct. The true answer is "You get 15 plates". I've seen more bonehead maneuvers from Lake County drivers than any others around here.

Not half an hour ago, I was signaling to turn left into a parking lot. The guy coming the other way came to a dead stop. I wondered out loud, "What the gently caress is wrong with you?" Then I saw the 15."Oh, yeah.Lake County idiot" I turned in front of him, then watched in the mirror as he turned in behind me (without signal). I made a point of parking in a single space so he couldn't park next to me.

Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I heard somebody else say "The worst loving drivers around here have 15 plates, and the worst of the worst drive blue Fords with 15 plates".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both my parents grew up in Montana, they have every single county code memorized. A quick glance at their bumper and they can tell where the car is from. Kinda cool in a stupid trivia way.

Out east where states are postage stamp sized people get labelled idiots by the state they're from. Same stereotyping, different implementation.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We have the same thing in Kentucky except instead of a convoluted number system the plate just says the county...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Not really convoluted, they are in order of population, or were initially.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
New York state has county prefix/suffix codes for plates that are in the formats:

1 or 2 character code (NY State outline) 1-3 numbers
1-3 numbers (NY State Outline) 1 or 2 character code

I only have the codes for my county and the two neighboring.

Edit: In most rural counties the County Code plate 1 in prefix and suffix are taken by county officials or the well connected.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

waffle iron posted:

New York state has county prefix/suffix codes for plates that are in the formats:

1 or 2 character code (NY State outline) 1-3 numbers
1-3 numbers (NY State Outline) 1 or 2 character code

I only have the codes for my county and the two neighboring.

Edit: In most rural counties the County Code plate 1 in prefix and suffix are taken by county officials or the well connected.

When did they go back to that?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

When did they go back to that?
http://www.bprlicenseplates.com/New%20York%20-%20county%20codes.htm

I forgot to mention these plate numbers are now treated as vanity plates. They were the original issuing system from decades and decades ago. Last time I had one, I went to the county DMV office and they had a list of plates that were unissued.

New plates are all LLL NNNN.

Edit: So people with county code plates are people who have had them forever or people who know to ask for them. My father was the kind of guy who over time had both ZZ 123 on his car and 123 ZZ on the car my mom drove (not real plate numbers).

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 17, 2015

Dr. Jamming
Apr 11, 2007

People are talking out there... and I hear it all.
Would anyone care to explain what's wrong with passing on the right, even conceptually? Maybe I'm the people you share the road with, but if someone's going slower than I'd like to the left of me, I'll pass them on the right without a second thought. I don't even really care when someone does the same to me. It's legal where I drive, for what that matters...

If you enter a freeway, and someone's doing 10 under in the center lane, do somehow struggle all the way to the left before accelerating? If they're doing it on the far left, do they just govern down the whole road?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

dee eight posted:

If you ever have occasion to drive in western Montana, be aware of the first one or two digits on most license plates. 4 denotes Missoula County, 1 is Silverbow,13 is Ravalli, etc. The old joke goes, "What happens when you fail your driver's test three times? You get 13 plates."

I still have my old '38' plates from when I lived and worked up there for half the year. It was the only one I actually knew (county wise) since I only lived/worked there for 2 years from late March to early October. No way in hell I would have lived in East Glacier for the winter months - I don't think there's enough money for that.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Dr. Jamming posted:

Would anyone care to explain what's wrong with passing on the right, even conceptually?

The simplest rational is that with the driver sitting on the left of the car, their view is more obstructed on the right side.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Undertaking can also make merging more difficult, since presumably the merge speed will increase.

In a perfect world, no one would undertake because there'd be no assholes hogging the left-hand lane, but until we get there, I'll still happily pass on the right.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

In CA the left lane is the cruise lane so there really is no undertaking. If there are more than five cars on the road they will stack up in the left lane with the other 3,4,5 or 6 lanes having fewer cars in them the more right you go. I like it especially when I don't want to speed on my bike during the busy times. I get on the freeway and into the left lane with everyone else and road train my way to wherever I'm going with only one side to worry about getting hit on. When I want to go fast I just stay in the right lane and pass everyone.
The trick is to not get pissed when you're barreling down the right lane at 95 and come upon someone going the speed limit. Tailgating them and fuming about the one person per two mile stretch following the law makes you an even bigger dipshit than the rest of us hogging the left lane.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I like it when I'm going 5 over in the right lane on a 3 lane freeway and have a dude bear down on me, pass me, and jump back in the right lane.

I'm like, guy, that isn't how it works.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I like it when I'm going 5 over in the right lane on a 3 lane freeway and have a dude bear down on me, pass me, and jump back in the right lane.

I'm like, guy, that isn't how it works.

But getting back over to complete your pass is the correct way to do it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Depends how close they cut it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The bad drivers... They're in the thread :ohdear:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Raluek posted:

Yes. If you're not overtaking, you should not be in the left hand lane. You don't need to move over right away and cut someone off, but you shouldn't just linger in the left lane because you aren't impeding anyone yet. Staying in the left-hand lane just because no one wants to overtake you is based on the same logic that motivates people to not use their turning signal "because no one's around and it doesn't matter."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

the same logic that motivates people to not use their turning signal "because no one's around and it doesn't matter."
They loving taught this when I was learning to drive. "Why are you indicating? There's no-one around you, if you make proper observations, you'll know that".

Pointing out that hitting someone you do see is hardly the stereotype of how an accident occurs didn't impress them.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Raluek posted:

I said there were 3 lanes. Dude kept tailgating people in the far right lane.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I said there were 3 lanes. Dude kept tailgating people in the far right lane.

It's still correct to go all the way right when done passing if there's not anyone else in that lane.

I don't condemn people using the middle lane as a faster cruise lane, as long as they stay out of the far left, but it's not technically correct if the right lane is emptyish.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raluek posted:

It's still correct to go all the way right when done passing if there's not anyone else in that lane.

I don't condemn people using the middle lane as a faster cruise lane, as long as they stay out of the far left, but it's not technically correct if the right lane is emptyish.
Im ok with this, unless you're on the interstate where exits are like 15 miles apart. In the right lane you'll be getting merged into so why not just stay in the middle?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Im ok with this, unless you're on the interstate where exits are like 15 miles apart. In the right lane you'll be getting merged into so why not just stay in the middle?

I agree, which is why I say I don't condemn people hanging out in the middle. But it's not wrong to get back over, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's still wrong to hang out in the middle lane, especially if traffic in the right lane is actually moving faster. If you just learn to modulate your throttle and your desire to always "win" the on-ramp race, getting merged into isn't actually a problem.