Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WeaponX posted:

but you see spike never promoted tna

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WeaponX posted:

but you see spike never promoted tna. that 360k viewers on DA is better than the 1mil viewers spike would get cause destination america is gonna make tna a household name. just wait and see.

"Household" as in "TNA holds shows in Dixie Carter's house".

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

"Household" as in "TNA holds shows in Dixie Carter's house".

bob and janice are gonna ground dixie if she keeps them up filming another "impact zone episode" in their backyard.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just realized something: you know how one of the main complaints about TNA is their endless attempts to emulate ECW? Even when it comes to complaining about the way the flagship show is promoted (on the same network, no less), they have the same complaints (although ECW on TNN was promoted sorta poorly).

Learn a new song, TNA Mecca/Asylum (I can't be bothered to differentiate which one said it).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Rude!

SpikeTV truthers are always fun

I like the analogy of dropping a bowl of Brussel sprouts because it implies that the person is either 10 or a fat slob who refuses to eat vegetables.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The_Rob posted:

I like the analogy of dropping a bowl of Brussel sprouts because it implies that the person is either 10 or a fat slob who refuses to eat vegetables.

You can enjoy the health benefits of vegetables without forcing yourself to eat disgusting vegetables.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

You can enjoy the health benefits of vegetables without forcing yourself to eat disgusting vegetables.

yeah vegetables are great and brussel sprouts are goddamn disgusting

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Brussels sprouts are awesome when you cook them properly :colbert:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Brussels sprouts king of veggies

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sauerkraut only good cabbage dish

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
New Japan King of Sports

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

epitasis posted:

Brussels sprouts king of veggies

A Good Post.

So with DA being available in about half as many homes as Spike, am I looking at it correctly when it actually looks like they lost around two thirds if their viewers? How do you spin that?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Sauerkraut only good cabbage dish

I hope hot dog-related tangents aren't bannable offenses

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memento posted:

A Good Post.

So with DA being available in about half as many homes as Spike, am I looking at it correctly when it actually looks like they lost around two thirds if their viewers? How do you spin that?

People don't realise it's moved yet and obviously viewership will skyrocket once it starts airing on the discovery channel proper.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Bobtista posted:

People don't realise it's moved yet and obviously viewership will skyrocket once it starts airing on the discovery channel proper.

This is even more of a long shot now that the head of DC has said that they are going to move back towards actual nature documentaries and the like. I wonder if TNAMecca has heard that yet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A Dapper Man posted:

This is even more of a long shot now that the head of DC has said that they are going to move back towards actual nature documentaries and the like. I wonder if TNAMecca has heard that yet.

TNA is ahead of the curve with the documentary aspects of Impact. This is how close TNA is to Discovery!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

TNA is ahead of the curve with the documentary aspects of Impact. This is how close TNA is to Discovery!

Also is Discovery is going back to documentaries they're the perfect platform for Dixie's reality show about being a strong independent single mom who JUST HAPPENS TO OWN A WRESTLING COMPANY! And that just wouldn't make sense without Impact for context. QED.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

quote:

Will1225 Moderator • 22 minutes ago

Fun fact: two full length uploads of the 1/7/15 episode of Impact had a combined 200K views in two days. #ProofTVRatingsAreNotAccurate

Clearly this means the ratings are inaccurate rather than the channel is impossible to get or TNA fans love rewatching Impact.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

Clearly this means the ratings are inaccurate rather than the channel is impossible to get or TNA fans love rewatching Impact.

The followup to that is what gets me

quote:

That's funny. Nielsen's ratings jumped the shark in the late 80's/early 90's when everyone was starting to get cable yet it's still around today for some reason when we know it's faulty and doesn't quite represent this country's viewing habits.

Said by Chris Regal, the same guy who (as discussed in the TNA thread) spent the day in a twitter war with PW Torch about them not accurately reporting ratings and demanding they reveal their source so that he could personally inspect the printouts himself so he could see the REAL ratings Impact pulled instead of the filthy lies the dirtsheets are using to bury TNA.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
But Chris, I thought the ratings didn't matter?

Which is it?

Chris?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
TNA doesn't need ratings as proof of popularity. Just look at the PPV buys, ticket sales and the amount of money it makes from merchandise.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

yeah vegetables are great and brussel sprouts are goddamn disgusting

lol brussel sprouts are loving awesome and can be made in a dozen different ways that rule.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
More 1997 Observer letters:

quote:

PWI

I'm sure by now you've seen the PWI Top 500. A friend of mine and I were goofing on it pretty hard. "Hey, you know, Bart Gunn's way better than Dory Funk Jr. It must be true, they wrote it." Dean Malenko is a tremendous talent, but No. 1? I was shocked that they actually placed Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada and Kenta Kobashi in the top 15 but that same top 15 included Diamond Dallas Page, Lex Luger, The Giant and The Undertaker. Okay, Page has improved to the point where I could see him being in maybe the top 50. Undertaker is probably the most over gimmick performer ever. The Giant? Let's see in five years. But Lex Luger as the No. 5 wrestler in the world was way too funny to the point of being sick. Think about it. Year in and year out he's always been pushed and only the densest marks buy it.

As much as I mark out for ECW, in their employ is absolutely the worst wrestler I've ever seen. Big Dick Dudley blows up picking his nose. Crush and Jim Duggan can now look in the mirror and say, "Hey, at least I'm not the worst wrestler in the world." Mercifully they placed Taka Michinoku ahead of this tie-die wearing refrigerator.

Pat Crocker

Newport, Rhode Island

Imagine wasting a stamp on the PWI 500.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wish TNA was like Smile so I wouldn't have to hear about it for forty years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Oldie but a goodie, what a toolbag this guy is!

quote:

PANCRASE

Here are a few things about Pancrase to think about.

1. Why are the fighters allowed to kick each other with shoes? You can't do that in the UFC. The shin pads didn't cover the hardest part of the shoe, the bottom. Front and side kicks, which use the bottom of the shoe, were thrown.

2. Why are punches not allowed and brutal leg kicks rarely used? Could it be because punches are impossible to fake convincingly and leg kicks, while not as difficult to fake as punches, are hard to make look full power and the fighters tend to overact when hit by them (like in UWFI)? I don't think you'll see too many people outside of shootfighting get knocked out cold by a palm heel slap.

3. Why do none of the fighters seem terribly worried when they are obviously in a position to be choked out and the fighter in the position to do the choking rarely tries very hard to do so? You rarely see anybody who knows chokes in the UFC not take advantage of the opportunity.

4. With points scored so infrequently, doesn't it seem silly that Ken Shamrock would have said that one fighter, in a dominant position, would just let his opponent up when the opponent would lose a point if he locked on a submission hold because of a rope break, would decide against working for the submission because he didn't want to give away any of his submissions. Doesn't he know at least a few?

5. I've never heard of a boxing, kick boxing or judo organization that only consists of about 20 fighters, most of whom are trained by the same people, who just rotate fighting one another. The UFC is actually fairly easy to get into and anyone can compete. From what I understand, Pancrase is a very exclusive organization and difficult to get into. I wonder why? Also, why are the fighters paid salary like pro wrestlers instead of given purses for each match based on the result?

6. Finally, doesn't it seem strange that even SEG won't come out and state officially that Pancrase is 100% real?

Pro wrestling is great, but in no way should it be confused with something real like UFC. I loved the Rocky movies, but Sylvester Stallone was never the legitimate heavyweight boxing championship of the world. Let's not blur fantasy and reality. Pancrase may occasionally have some legitimate shoots but so did the UWFI. It is not terribly hard to tell the difference between real matches and not-so-real matches. Pancrase is simply a better worked, though less entertaining, version of UWFI. As much as I like and respect Ken Shamrock, I have to say that if he wants to claim any glory from his victories in Pancrase, he is also going to have to acknowledge his losses in pro wrestling matches, such as his loss to Bart Vale, which was an obvious work. You can't have it both ways.

Joe Silva

Richmond, Virginia

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
You know I was just thinking that TNA was exactly like Brian Wilson because that is a rational thought for a human being to have.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Optimist with doubt posted:

You know I was just thinking that TNA was exactly like Brian Wilson because that is a rational thought for a human being to have.

Dude is getting paid a lot of money to be bad at baseball there's gotta be some connection to TNA here.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

MassRafTer posted:

Oldie but a goodie, what a toolbag this guy is!

Lmao that's amazing. Was that written before he got his position in the UFC?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Solomonic posted:

Yea, long time ago, it came up in CXB_'s stream of Grandslam MMA or ZST or one of them, asked Dave a question about RINGS too which was apparently salaried as well

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Solomonic posted:

A year or two before he started consulting with them. He got that position by sending them letters about what they were doing wrong.

blizzardveers
Jan 17, 2015

Memento posted:

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this trope.
I don't think I will either.

Nevermind that I remember when Spike TV first aired TNA, and they hyped the poo poo out of it being on their network. I remember it got advertising on WWE, since WWE was moving back to USA Network. Pretty exciting time. Then they had that two hour special, which was a legitimately awesome show.

I remember TNA being pretty much the centerpiece of Spike's TV programming and advertising outside of the Ultimate Fighter and general UFC programming.

It's like they're not old enough to actually know any better, tbh.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Katy Perry isn't even dead and she's spinning in her grave

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Who's BoD?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

TNA trying to sign a big name free agent. "THAT IS SLANDER YOU MOTHER FUCKER SHANE SELTZER AND YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE TNA LOOK BAD"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Scott Keith's Blog of Doom

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I would be so happy if Dixie were to fire a lawsuit against Dave because I'd love to see what evidence she pulled out to prove he was lying.

"No, we didn't offer Alberto four hundred thousand, we offered him four million!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

flashy_mcflash posted:

Scott Keith's Blog of Doom

Holy poo poo he's still going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Bloodreign is probably right but not in the way he meant.