Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

No you weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

It's equally likely that poor records, poor policing, and the general lack of communication at the time have covered up evidence of historical ones.

And the fact that people who felt the urge to do a spot of killing could quite easily join a lord or kings army and cheerfully murder his way across European countryside on the way to Jerusalem, committing sickening atrocities in each village they came across, and would probably be praised for his battle fevour and dedication to the kings cause.

Am reading Dan Jones The Plantagenets just now, about the English monarchy 1100-1399, and the horrors they and their armies inflicted upon foreign lands, their own lands and quite often their own family members are deeply unpleasant and shocking.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jack Gladney posted:

Vronsky gives a chapter to each, actually, and speculates in a pretty half-assed way about folklore creatures like werewolves and vampires that were normal people who transformed into monsters, saying they could have historical origins with premodern people driven to kill. He also writes about HH Holmes and that lady in New Orleans who did crazy mutilation sex stuff to her slaves. He says of her and the others that they could do it because they had near-total aristocratic power, and that once they were found out the community did go after them.

He mentions Sawney Bean too, and says the story was probably embellished.

To be fair a large amount of "werewolf" lore comes from serial killers in France since that was what the popular media of the time referred to them as. They didn't think they were literal werewolves but it was just the popular buzzword of the time for serial killers.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Jose posted:

Stolen from the osha.jpg thread

http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/africa/south-africa/Raising-the-Dead.html

I just don't see the appeal in cave diving or people who drag themselves through tiny caves where you can get stuck purely to get to the bottom

That was harrowing. :smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nettle Soup posted:

Cave diving :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Not quite unnerving, but considering the fact that these threads inevitably spawn cult discussion, (as this one did many, many pages ago,) I figured you guys would be interested in a very old cult:
Hashashin

quote:

The name "Assassin" is often said to derive from the Arabic Hashishin or "users of hashish"

quote:

After being drugged, the Ismaili devotees were said be taken to a paradise-like garden filled with attractive young maidens and beautiful plants in which these fida'is would awaken. Here, they were told by an "old" man that they were witnessing their place in Paradise and that should they wish to return to this garden permanently, they must serve the Nizari cause.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bonestructure posted:

He is still, no poo poo, like the boogeyman in South Carolina. I remember his arrest when I was a kid, and the awful details that kept coming out. He still terrifies us around here. They found remains from two of his victims in a swamp not far from my family's house.

As with so much in South Carolina, he was also a source of horror/amusement for us in NC. I remember my parents discussing the daily goings-on with trial/incarceration/execution every morning like it was a soap opera.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Cornjob posted:

I wouldnt be suprised if this has already been mentioned here...
Im reading UNBROKEN right now. The author references this:
NSFW pics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre:gonk:

It pro'lly did, but the Rape is one of the most obscene events in the twentieth century, and it bears abhorrence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes#Comfort_women

Shinzo Abe once publicly protested a sculpture commemorating these women.

He also tried to revise the entirety of Japan's involvement in China during WW2, but that is a broad subject.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Endbringer posted:

Not quite unnerving, but considering the fact that these threads inevitably spawn cult discussion, (as this one did many, many pages ago,) I figured you guys would be interested in a very old cult:
Hashashin

The "user of hashish" is a backward folk etymology. The two are not actually connected.

The Same Wikipedia Article posted:

Many scholars have argued, and demonstrated convincingly, that the attribution of the epithet "hashish eaters" or "hashish takers" is a misnomer derived from enemies of the Isma'ilis and was never used by Muslim chroniclers or sources. It was therefore used in a pejorative sense of "enemies" or "disreputable people". This sense of the term survived into modern times with the common Egyptian usage of the term Hashasheen in the 1930s to mean simply "noisy or riotous". It is unlikely that the austere Hassan-i Sabbah indulged personally in drug taking ... there is no mention of that drug hashish in connection with the Persian Assassins – especially in the library of Alamut ("the secret archives").

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
More nuketalk. So... what year would you say the last time the US and/or USSR/Russia played around with the thought of a nuclear exchange?

Would you believe it was... 1995??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

She also continued to gently caress that guy over until the day he died. It's beautiful. It must have felt so satisfying to her every time her presence in a courtroom hurt his case more and more.

How did that guy end up having such a short sentence for kidnapping, rape, mutilation, and attempted murder anyway? :psyduck:

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
I was going to remark on that too. Actually come to think of it you see a lot of weirdly lenient sentences from that period going back a few decades. Seems like half the crime articles in this thread have a line like "after serving two years for rape" or "after serving six years for murder." Maybe it's because I can only vaguely remember a time before stuff like three strikes laws or mandatory minimum sentences (not that I'm a supporter of those in general), but goddamn.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Mak0rz posted:

How did that guy end up having such a short sentence for kidnapping, rape, mutilation, and attempted murder anyway? :psyduck:

Modesto.

*shrug*

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I was going to remark on that too. Actually come to think of it you see a lot of weirdly lenient sentences from that period going back a few decades. Seems like half the crime articles in this thread have a line like "after serving two years for rape" or "after serving six years for murder." Maybe it's because I can only vaguely remember a time before stuff like three strikes laws or mandatory minimum sentences (not that I'm a supporter of those in general), but goddamn.

It's enough to make you want to get Tough On Crime.

Like this guy's record is pretty unnerving:
http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/CT1090504/Frank-Czumalowski.html
http://newsok.com/octogenarian-eager-to-see-killer-hubby/article/3103008

He served 18 months of his 30 month sentence. A sentence he got for parole violation, while on parole for two first degree child rape convictions, which he committed while on parole from his double murder conviction.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mak0rz posted:

Sentencing used to be a lot more lenient in the the US

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
About Gilles de Rais, what creeped me out the most was his confesstion/defense. He kept insisting that he tortured & murdered children purely for his own gratification - that it had absolutely nothing to do with trying to summon the Devil. Because, at the time, the latter was the far more serious offense.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

Phyzzle posted:

It's enough to make you want to get Tough On Crime.

Like this guy's record is pretty unnerving:
http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/CT1090504/Frank-Czumalowski.html
http://newsok.com/octogenarian-eager-to-see-killer-hubby/article/3103008

He served 18 months of his 30 month sentence. A sentence he got for parole violation, while on parole for two first degree child rape convictions, which he committed while on parole from his double murder conviction.

There was not a single loving detail of that article that wasn't pure WTF, but the 88 year old wife longing to see her 49-year-old double-murderer child-rapist husband again squicked me right out. A girl I knew in high school got involved with a guy serving a sentence for aggravated manslaughter (who had previously been arrested for sexual assault and several burglaries) and it was like she got brainwashed. She went from being pretty normal to constantly posting about how no one could stop their love, about how he was the nicest guy in the world and just got framed and was so misunderstood, and how she'd always wait for him forever and ever. I have no idea what happened to her because I unfriended her, but she joined some weird online group of women involved with prisoners and every time she posted these women would pat her on the back and swarm anyone who suggested that hey, maybe don't wait another ten years till the violent inmate gets released.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mak0rz posted:

According to the article, because of him, they passed a law making it 25-to-life after that.

quote:

The outrage at this sentence resulted in legislation, supported by Mary Vincent, which prevents the early release of offenders who have committed a crime in which torture is used: in 1987 Singleton's parole led to passage of California's "Singleton bill", which carries a 25-years-to-life sentence.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Nettle Soup posted:

I usually don't check out cave-diving videos or photo spreads because duh claustrophobia, but I think certain tight spaces would freak anyone out, even if they're not normally claustrophobic. I mean, there are people who get the heebie-jeebies around spiders without actually being arachnophobic, but then you've got people who absolutely love them. I wonder if there are people who actually like the tight spaces, or at least, the tightness doesn't bother them?

Or maybe that's just my mind really wanting these people to at least enjoy the crazy terrifying poo poo that they're doing.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I wonder if there are people who actually like the tight spaces, or at least, the tightness doesn't bother them?

When I was a kid, I would do things like stuff myself under the bottom shelf in the closet, and just curl up down there with the closet door closed for long periods of time. I had favorite hidey-holes in the woods and at the beach that where just big enough for me to fit in, and I loved spending time in those, with the dirt and pine needles sealing me in. I loved big cardboard boxes, as little boys do, but I loved to shut them tight, cover up the cracks, and just chill inside them. As a grown man, I have an affinity for tight, enclosed places, and I am a big man. I like attics, closets, shower stalls, etc.

Being bound, however, does not suit me. There's a scene in some flick I've seen a few times where a dude is in a duck-tape cocoon and suspended from some monkey bars, and it makes me really uncomfortable. I like to be in tight places, but I'm not sure I could keep my cool if I were so thoroughly restrained and helpless.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cornjob posted:

I don't know everything about everything.

You son of a bitch

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Centripetal Horse posted:

When I was a kid, I would do things like stuff myself under the bottom shelf in the closet, and just curl up down there with the closet door closed for long periods of time. I had favorite hidey-holes in the woods and at the beach that where just big enough for me to fit in, and I loved spending time in those, with the dirt and pine needles sealing me in. I loved big cardboard boxes, as little boys do, but I loved to shut them tight, cover up the cracks, and just chill inside them. As a grown man, I have an affinity for tight, enclosed places, and I am a big man. I like attics, closets, shower stalls, etc.

Being bound, however, does not suit me. There's a scene in some flick I've seen a few times where a dude is in a duck-tape cocoon and suspended from some monkey bars, and it makes me really uncomfortable. I like to be in tight places, but I'm not sure I could keep my cool if I were so thoroughly restrained and helpless.

Growing up, my buddy had a closet under the stairs that had a hidden rear panel you could remove that opened into a decent sized crawl space. We made a little clubhouse in there when we were probably 8-9 years old. Nowadays I can't imagine being in a space equally as restrictive. You couldn't stand, there were nails sticking out of boards, the floor was wood but littered in general homing debris.. I can just imagine the spiders and roaches and other critters that we probably shared that room with, but we were fine planning our next Nerf gun assault on fictional bad guys.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Carroll Edward Cole raped and strangled at least 14 women between 1971 and 1980. Not exceptional or shocking by this thread's standards, until you notice that he approached authorities at least three times asking to be committed because of his urge to rape and strangle women and was turned away each time.

Some serial killers get away with their crimes for so long because they're smart and are aware of what to do to avoid the police, but how can the authorities excuse themselves when more than a dozen women die at the hand of a man who repeatedly told them to get him off the streets before he killed?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Phyzzle posted:

About Gilles de Rais, what creeped me out the most was his confesstion/defense. He kept insisting that he tortured & murdered children purely for his own gratification - that it had absolutely nothing to do with trying to summon the Devil. Because, at the time, the latter was the far more serious offense.

I was under the impressions his confessions were offered under threat of torture. Not that I'm convinced he didn't do it, but a cursory analysis seems like there's a good chance we've gotten only the church's side of the story, and in many cases the Church was equally as monstrous in enough past events that I wouldn't rule out some kind of agenda on their side.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
It's funny how mental disorder never gives people the urge to, like, build orphanages by hand or feed every homeless person on their home block or something. Instead of having the urge to break into women's apartments to rape them in their sleep, how about breaking in to tuck them in and sing them lullabies? Why's it always got to be rape and torture, mayhem and murder?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rabbit Hill posted:

It's funny how mental disorder never gives people the urge to, like, build orphanages by hand or feed every homeless person on their home block or something. Instead of having the urge to break into women's apartments to rape them in their sleep, how about breaking in to tuck them in and sing them lullabies? Why's it always got to be rape and torture, mayhem and murder?

Turns out the people whose illnesses compel them to kill and eat people are reported on more than those whose illnesses compel them to donate modestly to charity or help old women cross the road.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Rabbit Hill posted:

It does? Where do you think religious leaders come from.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Rabbit Hill posted:

There was that lady in California last year whose mental disorder gave her the urge to give every little girl in her town a doll that looked like them.

Also, rape and torture make better press than starting a mission or feeding homeless people, which is probably why we know so many more examples of the former.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sometimes mental minor mental illnesses can lead to charitable behavior, but due to the detrimental effects of extreme mental illness with regards to keeping down a job and such it's rare that someone has such impulses and the ability to act on them. So yeah schizo johny may want to give everyone a house, but he's homeless and barely fed himself.

Buh
May 17, 2008
I've met plenty of people with mental illness who are church going charity supporting types whose illness mostly manifests as self flagellation, guilt, anxiety and the like. But they function well enough that they're effectively invisible and will certainly never make a sexy headline.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Random Stranger posted:

The "user of hashish" is a backward folk etymology. The two are not actually connected.

Oh of course, it was just more of a derogatory term. Like calling a gay guy human being when he is clearly not a bundle of sticks.

quote:

...applied abusively to them by the Mustali Ismailis

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Carroll Edward Cole raped and strangled at least 14 women between 1971 and 1980. Not exceptional or shocking by this thread's standards, until you notice that he approached authorities at least three times asking to be committed because of his urge to rape and strangle women and was turned away each time.

Some serial killers get away with their crimes for so long because they're smart and are aware of what to do to avoid the police, but how can the authorities excuse themselves when more than a dozen women die at the hand of a man who repeatedly told them to get him off the streets before he killed?

Yeahhhhh....

wikipedia posted:

A suspicious neighbor called the police eight days later, but although they found Pashal's body wrapped in a blanket and stuffed in a closet, they inexplicably decided that she had died because of her heavy drinking, and Cole was released without charge after questioning.

:psyduck: It's like the authorities took bets on how long he could stay free or something

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Yeahhhhh....

:psyduck: It's like the authorities took bets on how long he could stay free or something
You also have to remember that back in the '70's "she was asking for it" was a perfectly valid defense. It was a very different time.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Mak0rz posted:

Sentencing used to be a lot more lenient in the the US

Two words: Private. Prisons.

(Bolding mine.)

Wikipedia posted:

Federal and state government has a long history of contracting out specific services to private firms, including medical services, food preparation, vocational training, and inmate transportation. The 1980s, though, ushered in a new era of prison privatization. With a burgeoning prison population resulting from the War on Drugs and increased use of incarceration, prison overcrowding and rising costs became increasingly problematic for local, state, and federal governments. In response to this expanding criminal justice system, private business interests saw an opportunity for expansion, and consequently, private-sector involvement in prisons moved from the simple contracting of services to contracting for the complete management and operation of entire prisons.[9]

The US Department of Justice statistics show that, as of 2013, there were 133,000 state and federal prisoners housed in privately owned prisons in the US, constituting 8.4% of the overall U.S. prison population. [12] Broken down to prison type, 19.1% of the federal prison population in the United States is housed in private prisons and 6.8% of the U.S. state prison population is housed in federal prisons. [13] While 2013 represents a slight decline in private prison population over 2012, the overall trend over the past decade has been a slow increase [14] Companies operating such facilities include the Corrections Corporation of America, the GEO Group, Inc. (formerly known as Wackenhut Securities), and Community Education Centers. In the past two decades CCA has seen its profits increase by more than 500 percent.[15] The prison industry as a whole took in over $5 billion in revenue in 2011.[16]

According to journalist Matt Taibbi, Wall Street banks took notice of this influx of cash, and are now some of the prison industry's biggest investors. Wells Fargo has around 100 million invested in GEO Group and 6 million in CCA. Other major investors include Bank of America, Fidelity Investments, General Electric and The Vanguard Group. CCA's share price went from a dollar in 2000 to $34.34 in 2013.[16] Sociologist John L. Campbell and activist and journalist Chris Hedges respectively assert that prisons in the United States have become a "lucrative" and "hugely profitable" business.[17][18]

You know what, just go read the whole article. It's a pretty good fit for this thread.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Because altruism isn't a sickness.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because altruism isn't a sickness.

Someone tell all the people who love Ayn Rand.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Someone tell all the people who love Ayn Rand.

Ayn Rand and her work deserve a place in this thread. The fact a person can be such a hypocritical sociopath and not be laughed out of the room but instead be worshiped by millions as some sort of saint is nothing short of mortifying.

Ayn Rand posted:

"What are your masses but mud to be ground underfoot, fuel to be burned for those who deserve it?"
-- We the Living, page 95, 1936 ed.

Yup, totally not something a loving comic book villain would say! Let's take this person's ideals seriously!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rand also idolized a psychopathic serial killer, planning to use him as the model for the hero of a novel she left unfinished when she died. Her notes suggest that she believed he was the nietzschean superman but that she'd have to clean up his character before starting the book. He was hanged for killing and mutilating a 12-year-old girl:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Edward_Hickman

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As an aside, my favorite Rand joke is in the first season of Mad Men, when Don Draper's boss gives him a bonus because the boss has been reading a lot of Rand and sees Don as embodying her ethical system. At this Don, who himself qualified as a remorseless psychopath more or less, gets really worried about what the gift says about his moral character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love that Rand died lonely and impoverished, forced to rely on welfare.