Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
For all your education chat needs: http://mikethemadbiologist.com/category/education/

:raise:

We have a horrible history of racism towards Natives, but I'm awful glad I live in Canada.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eNeMeE posted:

For all your education chat needs: http://mikethemadbiologist.com/category/education/

:raise:

We have a horrible history of racism towards Natives, but I'm awful glad I live in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F7bvhllDeI

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

disheveled posted:

I was going to stay out of this, but you were aggressive enough to deserve a response:

I am a scientist, and a biologist. I hardly know any Latin besides what you pick up from roots and knowing Spanish, and at no point in my career have I ever thought it even might be helpful in even the slightest possible way for anything related to biology, medicine, or science as a whole. And yes, I have had to learn human anatomy.

I don't care to get into a fight over what learning Latin is good for — I imagine it has value, somewhere, and so I will just grant you that point — but "anatomy still uses it" is a damned stupid reason to care about Latin.

I'm not sure what kind of biologist you are but anyone working within systematics/ecology would find some knowledge of Latin to be useful. This isn't to say that you need four years of Latin to do your job, but it certainly makes initial identification of organisms easier at times since the latin name generally hints at major morphological features, and common names can be rather imprecise for research purposes anyhow.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “Under president Obama, the rich have gotten richer, income inequality is getting worse." ~ Willard Mitt Romney

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “Under president Obama, the rich have gotten richer, income inequality is getting worse." ~ Willard Mitt Romney

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahah

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

Is... is this a joke?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > US Pol January - Si hoc vos scandalizat, placere relinquere disputationem

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

I was wondering what they would push for charges beyond normal protester bookings, but I didn't quite expect new legislation already. Former state trooper isn't surprising though, MA state troopers are all dickheads.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Lemme guess, the next part was "and that's why you should cut all my income taxes so I will feel inclined to redistribute excess wealth to the 47% in the form of jobs"

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
I don't understand how Charlie Baker says the focus of his governing will be to close the budget deficit, then his first act in office is to release a bunch of transportation money to towns that Deval Patrick said the state couldn't afford. Am I missing something?

I'm not complaining, I think the roads around here need work, but it doesn't really make sense.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

Populist Mitt Romney is so much more puzzling a redirect to me than Prof. Rick Perry

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Learning an entirely new language for at most 500 parts of the body is amazingly inefficient. Plus you're absolutely boned when they use terms like the "Innominate" artery or use the colloquial term like "pec major" or get asked what nerve goes to the serratus anterior and you don't know because you can't figure out what muscle looks like a saw and the answer is the long thoracic nerve

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't understand the "learn Latin because Latin words are useful" argument. How is that not the same logic that gives you computer science majors whining incessantly about the one core social science class?

Wouldn't it be better categorized as social studies anyway?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

Considering the two-pronged history of parochial schools in the US, I'm not sure that comparison helps you.

Also, maybe I'm misreading this but you seem to be saying that the benefit of charter schools is that it sells snake oil (perceived but not actually better education), making sure kids stay in "their communities" and don't mix with the communities with actually better schools. At the end there you say that this will somehow ameliorate concentrated poverty, but given that charter schools divert funds from the schools that other kids have to go to and do not themselves provide benefits, that seems like a speculative conclusion. I mean I guess you could say that the charter schools will cater to the people that would otherwise move districts but how does that not just stratify the community?

Charters are a policy tool to increase rates of gentrification and retention of human capital, not a policy tool to directly increase educational achievement. By increasing rates of gentrification and retention of human capital, third-order impacts increase rates of educational achievement in public schools.

Chantilly Say posted:

MIGF, how do you feel about for-profit prisons? Charter prisons, if you will.

I put money in for-profit prisons before I took money out of for-profit prisons. I made an informed investment in '07 that privitized prisons would do well with the collapse of the housing market.

Privitized prisons are vital to the downstate economy. I think its a shame that European nations refuse to save on prison costs by sending their incarcerated individuals to Illinois prisons, and would be most accepting of Anders Brevik being shipped to an Illinois prison.

Privitized prisons aren't a tool for best-practices incarceration management, they're a Keynesian investment in downstate.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Joementum posted:

ZekeJMiller · 50m 50 minutes ago
Romney: “We haven’t seen rising incomes in over decades”

I assume by "we" he means everyone not in that room

Please please run you loving idiot.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Winkie01 posted:

ZekeJMiller · 50m 50 minutes ago
Romney: “We haven’t seen rising incomes in over decades”

I assume by "we" he means everyone not in that room

Please please run you loving idiot.

Romney's running as the Nixon candidate to everyone elses' compasionate, Bushian conservatism.

It took Nixon to go to China, just like it'd take Romney to crack down on tax evasion, corporate loopholes, and income inequality in America. By god, Romney has learned from 2012. He understands that 49% will win you POTUS and they'll love you for it, whereas 51% will hate you and your weird, mormon robot ways.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

Romney's running as the Nixon candidate to everyone elses' compasionate, Bushian conservatism.

It took Nixon to go to China, just like it'd take Romney to crack down on tax evasion, corporate loopholes, and income inequality in America. By god, Romney has learned from 2012. He understands that 49% will win you POTUS and they'll love you for it, whereas 51% will hate you and your weird, mormon robot ways.
I started imagining a world in which Romney runs on a platform of redistributing wealth, wins, and actually does it and then I started crying and poo poo myself.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Contrast this to 2012
http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/12/news/economy/romney_envy/

quote:

"You know, I think it's about envy. I think it's about class warfare," the leading Republican presidential candidate said Wednesday on The Today Show.
When asked if there are any fair questions about wealth distribution, Romney replied, "It's fine to talk about those things in quiet rooms and discussions about tax policy and the like."
Romney has accused President Obama of promoting the "bitter politics of envy." The president is ramping up his talks about the nation's growing income divide and the shrinking of the middle class. He is focusing on the tax benefits afforded to millionaires and executives.
Romney, who is one of those millionaires, is taking a different path. He says he's distancing himself from what he calls "a very envy-oriented, attack-oriented approach."
Instead, he is talking about making America a merit-based society, rather than an entitlement society.
"I believe in a merit nation, an opportunity nation where people by virtue of their education, their hard work and risk taking and their dreams -- may be a little luck -- could achieve great things," he said Thursday at a campaign rally in Florida.

I don' even...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

cams posted:

I started imagining a world in which Romney runs on a platform of redistributing wealth, wins, and actually does it and then I started crying and poo poo myself.

Look to Rauner and see if he raises taxes on legal services and financials in Chicago. If he does, perhaps Romney/Rauner could be a double Nixon-goes-to-China.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Romney's like that guy who just learned referencing Hitler is maybe bad.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Joementum posted:

This has to be quote of the week. I guess it reinforces the etch-a-sketch aspect of his personality.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

With Bush it was easy, any time he did something that seemed out of character it turned out he had read his yearly book and wanted to fix the problem he had read about. Romney is more inscrutable.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Income Inequality. Bad. Money.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I gotta a feeling this is going to be a pretty good primary season. Not 2012 good, but its gunna be good.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

1stGear posted:

I gotta a feeling this is going to be a pretty good primary season. Not 2012 good, but its gunna be good.

This one will be better imo.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Winkie01 posted:

At some point an onion writer just starts typing and to our horror he seems to be transcribing the present instead of some alternative future.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Joementum posted:

Not surprising folks' thoughts seem to be jumping to Nixon, because this is some 'the new Nixon' level poo poo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Winkie01 posted:

It will be both better, and worse, as repubs keep finding ways to top themselves.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Joementum posted:

hahahaha

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Wow, he didn't even have to be in a private donor meeting to make a train stopping gaffe.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Wow, he didn't even have to be in a private donor meeting to make a train stopping gaffe.

I don't know if it's as much a gaffe as it is insulting dishonesty and hoping/foolishly believing people will buy it.

But it is pretty loving hilarious, like so hilarious that it's going to take a while for it to really land for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't know if it's as much a gaffe as it is insulting dishonesty and hoping/foolishly believing people will buy it.

But it is pretty loving hilarious, like so hilarious that it's going to take a while for it to really land for me.

That is pretty much his trademark.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
gently caress, just be yourself Romney. Nobody is buying your obvious focus tested insincerity.

He's just so transparently saying what he thinks people want to hear and he isn't selling it at all.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress, just be yourself Romney. Nobody is buying your obvious focus tested insincerity.

He's just so transparently saying what he thinks people want to hear and he isn't selling it at all.

I think it's too early to tell if this will be a successful strategy or not.

"Lemon, wet, good."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Its funny, the defining moments of the 2012 convention, for me, were a lot of "he or she" or otherwise using standard appeals but with she/her as the generic instead of he/him and him ripping off Chaplin's speech at the end of the Great Dictator (specifically the give youth the future and security for the old part.) Romney and his team know that his policies are unpopular so they try to dress them up in liberal terms. It doesn't work though and leaves no-one happy.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Good Citizen posted:

The best part is that apparently Republicans understand that inequality is something Americans care about now, but can't actually bring themselves to address this in any way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fox was on the TV as I passed by and I heard some choice quotes from whoever the guy on the screen is regarding Obama allowing 2 years of free college for good grades.

"Why not free 4 years? Why not free masters, free PhDs? Why stop there!?!?!"

He also called it an "un-American gimmick". He's not wrong.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

420DD Butts posted:

The best part is that apparently Republicans understand that inequality is something Americans care about now, but can't actually bring themselves to address this in any way.

A lot of whiny people think blacks are getting unequal amounts of views in the news lately. If only they'd quit getting killed by cops and focused on important poo poo like shutting up about them getting killed by cops *keeps twisting like a corkscrew, babbling*

I deleted my Facebook a long time ago. I can't imagine what that's got to look like for you guys.

Armani fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Charters are a policy tool to increase rates of gentrification and retention of human capital, not a policy tool to directly increase educational achievement. By increasing rates of gentrification and retention of human capital, third-order impacts increase rates of educational achievement in public schools.

This is a stone-cold retarded way to fund schools. Negative effects of charter schools aside, why not equalize existing school funding, or just increase funding for poorer schools? For the community, why not directly implement strong social programs? If the only thing that's going to keep rich idiots around (setting aside the assumption that's beneficial) is a second school that has, as you're admitting, no actual advantages over public schools, what happens when everyone figures that out?

• Locked thread