Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

mycot posted:

Most first party Nintendo titles were alright on the motion controls, but I think people are forgetting how almost every third party game or Wii port had some shoehorned "oh poo poo we have to use the wiimote somehow" mechanic.

This sounds more like an issue on the part of game developers not being able to come up with creative games that were supposed to use the wiimote. Instead they just made the same poo poo over again, I can hardly fault Nintendo for that. It's been 8 years since the Wii was released and people are still going on about Wiimotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Guys which game should I play when I get mad high and play Nintendo

should I play Mario Space Two or Metroid Prime 2

should I play Cucco Warriors

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Awesome Mario Planet in the Third Dimension

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Good news friend. Almost all Nintendo games are for drug addicts. You should probably play Mario Across the Space Dimension first because it is colorful and fun. First party Nintendo games are all pretty weird and visually exciting though so just do what thou wilt.

edit: and gently caress yes to Hyrule Warriors btw that poo poo is going to keep me entertained for well over a year at least, it basically never ends

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mario Goes to Space is really good.

Kin posted:

No-one i ever fought in Wii Boxing ever figured out that the reason i was winning so much was because i was just staying still but flicking my wrists while they wildly flailed their arms and got knackered.

Speaking of vWii homebrew, i need to get a new SD card to do it with, but i've not dealt with SD cards for gently caress knows how long now. Is this a suitable card for doing it with?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dane-Elec-T...+sd+memory+card

Yes it should be fine.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Just finished Champion's Road a bit ago making SM3DW the first Wii U game I've 100%ed. I should try to finish up Captain Toad next.

I have never actually played through any of the Metroid Prime games and as much as I am normally opposed to Wiimotes I have mine ready because I am excited to buy the digital trilogy when it comes out later. I did try a friend's copy of Metroid Prime once to see how the Wiimote controls felt and the aiming felt really natural for me so I hope to have a good time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mario will probably be more fun high

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WadeBartender posted:

if Sin and Punishment comes to the US again on the e-shop I'm actually super tempted to buy that game because everything i've seen about it looks cool

Just go into Wii Mode and play it that way :shrug:.

Now Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Skies, that's what needs to go on the eShop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MykonosFan posted:

Galaxy 2 is available right now on the eShop for download. Punch-Out!!! Wii is next week and Metroid Prime Trilogy the week after that. So far these Wii games will debut at $20 USD. For these three games, for the first week they're available they're half off.

AKA buy these great games for ten dollars if you haven't bought them already.

Just so people know, PAL-land is getting Donkey Kong Country Returns instead of Punch-Out (and Japan is getting Kirby Wii instead of Metroid).

KennyMan666 posted:

I'd love if they released Kirby's Adventure Wii on this.

List of confirmed titles:

Mario Galaxy 2
Punch-Out Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Kirby Wii
Sin & Punishment Wii
Pandora's Tower
Zangeki no Reginleiv (JP-only)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

List of confirmed titles:

Kirby Wii

Which one? There's two Kirby games on the Wii.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which one? There's two Kirby games on the Wii.

Return to Dream Land

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Return to Dreamland / Kirby's Adventure Wii. Stop changing subtitles between regions, idiots.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Skies, that's what needs to go on the eShop.
Yeah, if Star Successor ends up on the NA eShop instead of just the PAL and JP ones, I'm going to pick it up immediately.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh no, I really want Punch Out, Metroid Prime trilogy, Kirby Wii and Sin & Punishment, I think I'll need to finally get an external hard drive :ohdear:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hope that since they are just dumping the ISO of the Wii games on the eShop that they can put out a lot of these very fast.

Maybe they'll see that not putting all the bells and whistles on these titles and releasing them quickly means more sales.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just based on the publishers that are currently making an effort on the VC, here are the third-party games we might reasonably expect to show up at some point:

Capcom:

REmake/RE0/RE4 ports
RE Umbrella Chronicles
RE Darkside Chronicles
Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (eh maybe not)
Zack & Wiki
Sengoku Basara 3
Okami

Konami/the rotting corpse of Hudson:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Castlevania Judgement
Elebits
Kororinpa/Kororinpa 2
Lost in Shadow

Namco-Bandai:

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Tales of Symphonia 2
Namco Museum Megamix/Remix/whatever

Tecmo-Koei:

Zero Project 2: Wii Edition (Fatal Frame 2 remake)
Rygar: Battle of Argus
Samurai Warriors x89758493

Natsume:

Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility

Sega, Atlus, Square-Enix, XSEED are all no-shows at this point.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 17, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Let us hope we never see Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop in any form ever again.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh no, I really want Punch Out, Metroid Prime trilogy, Kirby Wii and Sin & Punishment, I think I'll need to finally get an external hard drive :ohdear:

I don't know who's in what region, but Kirby and S&P have only been confirmed for PAL and JP, for anyone in NA getting their hopes up.

edit: actually I dunno if Kirby's coming to Japan or not, but I know both are coming to PAL regions.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 17, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Chop Til You Drop feels like a Russian RE4 fan mod or something, I love it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Basically where I am. I figured I wouldn't need one, but with the eshop gift cards I got for Christmas and these Wii games coming out, ai think I'm gonna have to buckle and buy one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

I don't know who's in what region, but Kirby and S&P have only been confirmed for PAL and JP, for anyone in NA getting their hopes up.

edit: actually I dunno if Kirby's coming to Japan or not, but I know both are coming to PAL regions.

I'm just getting my hopes up that they'll come out eventually.

What are the chances for Okami? Might as well get in on that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh yeah, Okami. Dunno how I missed that one.

Ultigonio posted:

Japan's getting Kirby instead of Metroid Prime Trilogy,

JP/PAL have a history of announcing things further in advance than NA, so I don't think NA's silence is anything to worry about, really.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope Zack and Wiki is a game they put up on there too

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
So Nintendo Support is pretty fantastic. Not only did my call in to them to restore my Wii U and 3DS digital games work, they also threw in Mario Kart 8 (which I've never bought). I don't know if this was a mistake on their end, or one of the reps saying "here you go, sorry for no unified account system", but it was a pretty sweet thing to find when I looked at my downloads! Thanks Nintendo! All I really wanted was to not pay for Earthbound and Harvest Moon again, but hey... I'll take it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

I hope that since they are just dumping the ISO of the Wii games on the eShop that they can put out a lot of these very fast.

Maybe they'll see that not putting all the bells and whistles on these titles and releasing them quickly means more sales.

Wii ISO's aren't the same as getting VC games working on the WiiU.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I gotta say, I'm surprised to see people say Prime 2 had less backtracking than Prime 1, because it was the backtracking in Prime 2 that was so tedious that I stopped having fun and never finished it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

I gotta say, I'm surprised to see people say Prime 2 had less backtracking than Prime 1, because it was the backtracking in Prime 2 that was so tedious that I stopped having fun and never finished it

It turns into Backtracking: The Game riiiight at the end. Kinda like Jet Force Gemini. Except I actually did it in Prime 2.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

It turns into Backtracking: The Game riiiight at the end. Kinda like Jet Force Gemini. Except I actually did it in Prime 2.

Of course, you also get a warp so it gets a lot easier!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prime 1 also turns into Backtracking: The Game right at the end if you're not actually collecting the widgets beforehand. It made a friend of mine stop playing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

Prime 1 also turns into Backtracking: The Game right at the end if you're not actually collecting the widgets beforehand. It made a friend of mine stop playing.

I know right? Having played every Metroid game religiously I was shocked to have to do backtracking towards the end of Prime 1.

Prime 2 was slightly more tedious in that you had to find and shoot the same floating enemy thing a bunch of times, I liked how you had to figure out weird stuff in Prime 1 from the clues a lot honestly.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Since they figured out how to bypass the vWii home menu for eshop games, I really hope they add the option to boot Wii discs directly too

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

fruitpunch posted:

Since they figured out how to bypass the vWii home menu for eshop games, I really hope they add the option to boot Wii discs directly too

This is honestly what baffles me about the whole thing. Why isn't there a way to just boot into what Wii disc is in the tray almost exactly like how it was done on the Wii for Gamecube games?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that you can grab most of the widgets before the phazon suit if you're exploring thoroughly makes it much nicer, though. The game makes a point of guiding you to the impact site and giving you a bunch of clues pretty early on

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

This is honestly what baffles me about the whole thing. Why isn't there a way to just boot into what Wii disc is in the tray almost exactly like how it was done on the Wii for Gamecube games?

Because the Gamecube didn't have it's own OS, it just booted directly into the game old-school style. It's hilariously easier, more stable, and cheaper to have just left the Wii's firmware OS in place as it is now. If you notice when you did fire up a GC game on the Wii, it goes full-on GAMECUBE MODE and you have to physically reset the console to get back out of it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Wii U is literally 3 consoles in one and it owns

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean hey it officially has a GC controller adapter now so...

ehhh? GC games? Get off your rear end Nintendo? Money?

?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean hey it officially has a GC controller adapter now so...

ehhh? GC games? Get off your rear end Nintendo? Money?

?

Honestly if they can get Wii games working on the eShop, gamepad controls and all, there's really no reason they can't pass a Gamecube game through that. Matryoshka hardware emulation! :science:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd love GC games on the eShop if only because that'd mean you could buy Super Mario Bros 3, World, Sunshine, Galaxy 2, New U and 3D World but never 64.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd love GC games on the eShop if only because that'd mean you could buy Super Mario Bros 3, World, Sunshine, Galaxy 2, New U and 3D World but never 64.

Wii Shop Channel :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly if they can get Wii games working on the eShop, gamepad controls and all, there's really no reason they can't pass a Gamecube game through that. Matryoshka hardware emulation! :science:

Yeah, if they can trick the vWii into thinking the gamepad is a classic controller, there shouldn't be an issue making it spoof a gamecube controller in addition to adding Gamecube adapter compatibility. Homebrew can pull off the adapter compatibility, so Nintendo should be able to offer a legit form of it.

And if they pull it off, they can boast that every Nintendo home console's games are playable on the Wii U.

Here's hoping they eventually come out with a 3DS player (totally doable since the system has a "top" screen and "bottom" touchscreen to begin with) and add GB/GBC games to the Wii U VC so they can extend that claim to all home consoles and handhelds. (Nobody cares about the Virtual Boy.)

• Locked thread