Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I...I don't...Why would you do that? What the gently caress is wrong with people? This is why we can't have nice things.

Because the archetype of the character I was handed was a femme fatale and the Nazi liked her just a bit too much.

I never tried to do anything diplomatic after that and just took to aggressively shooting Nazis the rest of the game. The GM gave me bonus fate points for "roleplaying" but I just didn't want to risk being (almost) raped again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

To be honest I considered it but I've never had good luck with PBPs, and I feel like I wouldn't do the setting justice and that'd just be awkward with Hyperactive being around and all.
1. The game is built to emulate the comics, but you aren't meant to be chained to them. I've heard podcasts and seen write ups of Robo games with characters/situations that would NEVER happen in the comics, and they were all amazing. The Robo RPG is really a toolbox designed to create situations that feel as fun as the situations in the Robo comics no matter how far you get from the comics themselves. In fact, we encourage taking your games into non-canonical spaces, as that's where you're going to find the most room to have fun with your characters.

2. I can't stand reading PBP games, so I'll never know what you get up to anyway!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Len posted:

Because the archetype of the character I was handed was a femme fatale and the Nazi liked her just a bit too much.

I never tried to do anything diplomatic after that and just took to aggressively shooting Nazis the rest of the game. The GM gave me bonus fate points for "roleplaying" but I just didn't want to risk being (almost) raped again.

See, there's your problem right there: You were handed a character, and that character was 'femme fatale'. For some reason, being a strong female means having to fight off an (almost) rape to help build the tension, because 'oh no, the strong lady is about to be violated! Help her!' is a cheap way to call the team to action, or to make the scene more powerful.

The problem is, it doesn't do any of those things. It's straight-up creepy, invalidates the character to a stereotype, and does nothing to improve the characterization or the plot going on. It's simple wankery of the lowest caliber.

Femme Fatale characters can be great characters, especially during a time period like WW2 or the 20s, where women's roles in society were seen as passive. But they, like any other character, have to be given respect in concerns with the story to make it work.

Also, since he gave you fate points for doing nothing but shooting after that, maybe the GM didn't want his femme fatale to be someone who could outsmart/out-talk the other people there. He wanted Sparrow, from one chapter of the book, not Sparrow from the rest of the book and backstory. Which is a shame. One of the worst things I did as a DM was try to shoehorn the people playing into archetypes I thought worked, instead of giving them situations to overcome and seeing what their characters did.

Sorry about this :words: about roleplay and setting.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I got a box today:

:toot:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Nice! The hardcovers came out quite handsomely. Glad they're finally getting out into the world.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Verry nice indeed, we're very pleased with our copy and all the goodies :)

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

Nice! The hardcovers came out quite handsomely. Glad they're finally getting out into the world.

My apologies, but I got Scott to doodle in mine instead of you because he draws real good. If I catch wind of you at near enough convention I'll show up with crayons though, so be on your guard.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Is there gonna be another kick starter? I'm pretty :qq: about missing this one.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Martello posted:

Is there gonna be another kick starter? I'm pretty :qq: about missing this one.
Several answers.

We're about to launch a new Kickstarter, but it's not for Robo. You might like it anyway.

We'll launch another Robo Kickstarter in 2015, but it's not for these items.

Some items from this Kickstarter will be available for sale online. Hopefully by the end of the year. I don't have the whole list, but the Field Guide is absolutely on it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Hyperactive posted:

Several answers.

We're about to launch a new Kickstarter, but it's not for Robo. You might like it anyway.

We'll launch another Robo Kickstarter in 2015, but it's not for these items.

Some items from this Kickstarter will be available for sale online. Hopefully by the end of the year. I don't have the whole list, but the Field Guide is absolutely on it.

Cool! What about the mug? I'm a sucker for cool mugs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still haven't gotten a shipping notification for my Kickstarter stuff. :(

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Endless Mike posted:

I still haven't gotten a shipping notification for my Kickstarter stuff. :(

You're not alone, buddy. I've decided not to worry until Hyperactive starts talking about how everything has shipped and I still haven't gotten a notification yet, then I'll panic. Then I'll panic so hard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume it's probably more appropriate to talk about it in the generic indie thread, but I just saw in the promos at the end of Django/Zorro #1 that Hyperactive's writing a Phantom mini, which is awesome news! I realise it's probably been known for a while, but still!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaz-L posted:

I assume it's probably more appropriate to talk about it in the generic indie thread, but I just saw in the promos at the end of Django/Zorro #1 that Hyperactive's writing a Phantom mini, which is awesome news! I realise it's probably been known for a while, but still!

News to me. I'll have to get it on my pull list.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

It's old-ish news but not terribly big, so it was easy to miss. We did a little interview about it a couple weeks back and the response from Phantom fans is the most concentrated grognardiness I've been exposed to in my career.

I understand their apprehension, but it's pretty funny to be looked at suspiciously as a guy who cannot deliver fun pulp adventures.

Meanwhile there seems to be some controversy over whether or not we can print these comics. I have NO INSIGHT into this matter. All I know is: I'm writing scripts, staying on deadline, and they're paying me. Might just be a bunch of corporate bluster.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hyperactive posted:

It's old-ish news but not terribly big, so it was easy to miss. We did a little interview about it a couple weeks back and the response from Phantom fans is the most concentrated grognardiness I've been exposed to in my career.

I understand their apprehension, but it's pretty funny to be looked at suspiciously as a guy who cannot deliver fun pulp adventures.

Meanwhile there seems to be some controversy over whether or not we can print these comics. I have NO INSIGHT into this matter. All I know is: I'm writing scripts, staying on deadline, and they're paying me. Might just be a bunch of corporate bluster.

As long as you keep it Flying She-Devils and reference this sequence of panels from the classic "The Voodoo Menace" story: you should be okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

This has yet to stop Dynamite from printing a book. They didn't have the Tarzan rights so they called the book Lord of the Jungle. They'll just make a last minute change to the title and press on.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Finally got my robo stuff in! The shirts are awesome, and my computer now has a 'Our friend the Atomic Robot' sticker on it's topside.

Also, glad to see my full title made it in the credits.

All in all, great stuff!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Okay, so we launched a new Kickstarter today.

As I mentioned earlier, it isn't Robo, but it's in that same neighborhood of tone/quality, and it'd be dumb not to point you guys to it.

It's a bit like The X-Files in ancient China. Scripts by the writer and editor of Atomic Robo (me and Lee Black) with art and color by Erica Henderson of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl fame.

Hope you check it out and like what you see!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Uh yup that looks awesome.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Pretty much the only reason I'm not going to back it immediately is because I don't trust myself to remember to have the money set aside for it when the campaign ends. That said, I'ma back the poo poo out of that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Pretty much the only reason I'm not going to back it immediately is because I don't trust myself to remember to have the money set aside for it when the campaign ends. That said, I'ma back the poo poo out of that.

Yeah. I'm in the same boat. I want to back at the $75 level but I don't think I'd remember to have that squared away in time.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Yuuuuuuuuup, this is pretty much the WORST time of year to launch a project. But our hands are tied and we're giving it a shot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
My field guide pack arrived today, very exciting! It got here early enough that I could have morning coffee out of the mug and read the book during breakfast.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

thatbastardken posted:

My field guide pack arrived today, very exciting! It got here early enough that I could have morning coffee out of the mug and read the book during breakfast.
Hooray! Hope you like your goodies.

Meanwhile, preview pages of INFERNAL AFFAIRS have started to appear at the campaign. Take a gander.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/Hiveworks/status/555763564460265472

Looks like Atomic Robo will be taking the webcomic route. That's certainly something. Glad there's still a way to get them in print, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I guess that means Diamond will stop shorting my shop issues so I'll be able to actually finish volumes.

Unrelated to that announcement: is Real Science Adventures coming back?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I guess that means Diamond will stop shorting my shop issues so I'll be able to actually finish volumes.
Diamond is almost entirely why we're doing this. They've been the biggest hurdle for getting our book to people who want it, much less those who haven't discovered it yet. We spent seven years fighting the system and getting nowhere, so now we're out.

quote:

Unrelated to that announcement: is Real Science Adventures coming back?
I sure hope so. We have a lot of ideas lined up for it. The structure of the second volume was a lot of fun to work with and was much more popular with readers. So, we wanna do more like that. Our next one will almost certainly be about the Flying She-Devils. Not an origin story because that's boring. They teamed up. The end. Probably their first big adventure though. Sort of like how Volume 5 is not Robo's origin, but it is his first big adventure.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Diamond is almost entirely why we're doing this. They've been the biggest hurdle for getting our book to people who want it, much less those who haven't discovered it yet. We spent seven years fighting the system and getting nowhere, so now we're out.

I sure hope so. We have a lot of ideas lined up for it. The structure of the second volume was a lot of fun to work with and was much more popular with readers. So, we wanna do more like that. Our next one will almost certainly be about the Flying She-Devils. Not an origin story because that's boring. They teamed up. The end. Probably their first big adventure though. Sort of like how Volume 5 is not Robo's origin, but it is his first big adventure.

What can we do to ensure that Atomic Robo continues for a long time? (I mean, aside from buying the books when they're collected, which is still awesome btw.)

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

What can we do to ensure that Atomic Robo continues for a long time? (I mean, aside from buying the books when they're collected, which is still awesome btw.)
There is a big blog post with all sorts of details, most definitely including this one, and I'm just waiting for the OK to push it live. Probably Monday?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can still buy digital copies of the stuff I can get for free online, though, right? :ohdear:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity did Diamond botch your the shipping on your Marvel stuff too, Hyperactive? Basically I want to know if they actively look to mess with you or what.

Also so long as trades still come out I'll be happy. My Robo books get loaned to friends out more than anything else I read.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

I can still buy digital copies of the stuff I can get for free online, though, right? :ohdear:
Yup.

Shakenbaker posted:

Out of curiosity did Diamond botch your the shipping on your Marvel stuff too, Hyperactive? Basically I want to know if they actively look to mess with you or what.
No. It's just that Diamond has limited resources to solve the constant barrage of emergencies and they apply those resources to the squeakiest wheels. That's always gonna be Marvel and DC, then Image and the other big indie companies. Red 5 just didn't have the ability to get on Diamond's radar and stay there.

Fun Fact: DIamond made it almost impossible to buy Atomic Robo in the UK for years. Because, Diamond claimed, the demand for it in the UK didn't warrant listing it for the UK. Mind you, if something isn't listed, then you can't order it, so it looks like there's no demand. Fuckin' brilliant.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
If this is something that has been answered/can be found on Google/will be in the aforementioned blog post, sorry, but - will we still be able to get Robo in trade form? Because I hate reading comics on anything but paper. I've even tried my beautiful Kindle Fire and I still don't like it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Hyperactive posted:

Fun Fact: Diamond made it almost impossible to buy Atomic Robo in the UK for years. Because, Diamond claimed, the demand for it in the UK didn't warrant listing it for the UK. Mind you, if something isn't listed, then you can't order it, so it looks like there's no demand. Fuckin' brilliant.

It's not a problem if we can't see it's a problem, so it's not a problem! Simple!

That sounds like it ended in it's fair share of headaches, and I'm glad that Atomic Robo Tesla will be continuing his adventures with his fearless sidekick Jenkins.

Out of curiosity, will there be a Patreon project after a while, or some other way to throw my money at your pictures to get more pictures?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Fun Fact: DIamond made it almost impossible to buy Atomic Robo in the UK for years. Because, Diamond claimed, the demand for it in the UK didn't warrant listing it for the UK. Mind you, if something isn't listed, then you can't order it, so it looks like there's no demand. Fuckin' brilliant.

...That's why I could never find it despite hearing buzz online for years?!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Martello posted:

If this is something that has been answered/can be found on Google/will be in the aforementioned blog post, sorry, but - will we still be able to get Robo in trade form? Because I hate reading comics on anything but paper. I've even tried my beautiful Kindle Fire and I still don't like it.
There will be print trades. They'll go on sale after they appear online. We aren't completely crazy.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Out of curiosity, will there be a Patreon project after a while, or some other way to throw my money at your pictures to get more pictures?
Some say it's already out there. Secret and silent. Waiting for the official launch to burst on to the world stage. But not that hard to find if you go searching for it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

No. It's just that Diamond has limited resources to solve the constant barrage of emergencies and they apply those resources to the squeakiest wheels. That's always gonna be Marvel and DC, then Image and the other big indie companies. Red 5 just didn't have the ability to get on Diamond's radar and stay there.

That's disappointingly reasonable. I mean it makes sense that if you're the big dogs making noise you get ignored. Also explains why when I tried to make the move to floppies instead of trades (I got impatient) that it felt like a complete crap shoot on me getting my books.

The UK thing is pretty :psyduck: though. Circular as all get-out.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Out of curiosity, will you still be drawing on paper? Or going digital for all the art now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Hyperactive posted:

There will be print trades. They'll go on sale after they appear online. We aren't completely crazy.

Ok, I figured, but I just had to know!

• Locked thread