Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Fixed that for you :colbert:

Well now, it's not mutually exclusive to 360 noscope save the day, and take out your captain.

Examples. Last shot through two windows saves the day and kills the final Chrysalid before it can zombify your veteran... Oh, whoops! Sorry, I forgot I still had the Explosive rounds loaded into this thing. :downs: But at least you didn't die a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Merry Christmas everybody!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think Pat primarily survived because she had the Rocket Launcher and thus was never on a breaching team, plus once she got going I decided 'Yeah, Pat gets the best gear as soon as it's available.' She did survive getting shot in the face, unarmored, with a plasma pistol during the first Terror Op, though. And took no damage from it. I know realistically that was because the damage ranges from x0-x2 of the expected value in X-COM Original, but I like to think she loving no-sold a plasma bolt to the face and then quickdrew a laser pistol and shot the little grey bastard.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Section Z posted:

Well now, it's not mutually exclusive to 360 noscope save the day, and take out your captain.

Examples. Last shot through two windows saves the day and kills the final Chrysalid before it can zombify your veteran... Oh, whoops! Sorry, I forgot I still had the Explosive rounds loaded into this thing. :downs: But at least you didn't die a zombie.

Always be autofiring. So they can kill the captain and the last alien in the same action. That's X-Com efficiency.
My best/worst story was taking an Alien Battleship. Typical withetring casualties. One of the last guys left is on the command deck. I know there's an Ethereal commander left because he paniced last turn. So I equip a stun rod before I go round the corner.

He had a buddy with a Heavy Plasma.

And because I had a Stun Rod equipped I didn't have the TUs to autofire. Or the accuracy to make the shot with a Laser Rifle. RIP that guy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sorry for lack of updates. That rejection hit me so hard it was very difficult to do or care about anything at all and I'm still not over it. If I can't give you an xcom update I'll give you a Tropico update this weekend.

Can't believe I've even kept DD going during all this...

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

DD?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Dragon Doctors, Speedball's webcomic. Give it a read.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yep, colorizing the current page right now.

Then I make more XCOM. I'm feeling good tonight.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
DD is pretty ridiculous. And by that I mean awesome. It gets a giggle or even an outright chuckle out of me pretty often.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I trust that Dragon Age, for all its flaws, has been a worthwhile distraction, though?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Just checking in to say that I just caught up to this, and I'm loving it.
Carry on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Just checking in to say that I just caught up to this, and I'm loving it.
Carry on.

Awesome. YES I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON X-COM. ...intermittently. But this one supportive comment has made me decide to try to finish tonight's update tonight!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Awesome. YES I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON X-COM. ...intermittently. But this one supportive comment has made me decide to try to finish tonight's update tonight!

I (and everyone else) look forward to it!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
You can do it!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Speedball posted:

Dude, we love your stuff. If you want some encouragement, we're happy to give it. It's actually convinced me to push on through my own game that seems to give me half a dozen missions+ ufos every month.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Drakenel posted:

Dude, we love your stuff. If you want some encouragement, we're happy to give it. It's actually convinced me to push on through my own game that seems to give me half a dozen missions+ ufos every month.

Why thank you!

Just got reminded that I have to go into work early tomorrow, which means I can't stay up tonight doing the LP like I wanted to...dammit...but I will keep going on!

In the meantime, have a sample:

Meat smoothies! They turned everyone into meat smoothies!!!
Oh, God, I think I've seen this. They're melting everyone into a giant robot skeleton at the end, aren't they?!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Awesome. I'm looking forward to this part.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Speedball, your LP's brilliant and you should feel brilliant. I've been following your stuff for a while, and your updates always put a smile on my face. I'm very much looking forward to whatever mad schemes you can think of for your LPs.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Depression is the worst thing. Don't worry about us Speedball, we'll be here when XCOM returns :)

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Depression is the worst thing. Don't worry about us Speedball, we'll be here when XCOM returns :)

Indeed, we all look forward to you updates, and we'll be here if you ever want anyone to voice your woes to. And only a few of us will ever demand more updates. The rest of us will at most ask nicely, like this "Speedball, this is an awesome lp, could we please have more?". Or well, you get the idea.

If I could, I'd offer you a swig of rum from the flask I got for my 21st. Sadly, I can't do that through the internet.
Oh, and did you know that Winston Churchill suffered from depression? he called it his "Black Dog". So remember, depression does not mean you cannot achieve greatness!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 16, 2015

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Stephen9001, the "he" in your signature should be "who", by the way. :)

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rythian posted:

Stephen9001, the "he" in your signature should be "who", by the way. :)

oh, thanks for pointing that out, though truth be told I had left it like that deliberately for some reason which I can't currently remember. Possibly because I thought a small sign of being a little stupid like that might be endearing or some crap like that? (incidentally, I notice that I seem to be the only person who bothers with a signature on this forum, likely because not many people can be arsed to click the "show signature" box every time they post.).

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 17, 2015

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

There are many who use signatures in the more disreputable parts of the forum.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Last time I checked, LP was one of the more disreputable parts of the forums.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cathulhu posted:

Well, it's like highschool: every subforum is its own little clique and everyone thinks their forum is better than the others. The question is what the general outsider opinion is.

And hey, at least we aren't GBS :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And hey, at least we aren't GBS :v:

I liked it back when it was the random news/photoshop subforum. :rip:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Did GBS always have the "heh I'm going to laugh at these goons and be all meta" attitude?

Because it's more obnoxious than funny to me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cathulhu posted:

Anybody know just what the whole "Nofriendo entertainment system" joke that apparently got pulled and nobody cared was about?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Section Z posted:

Anybody know just what the whole "Nofriendo entertainment system" joke that apparently got pulled and nobody cared was about?

This is a really weird place to be having this discussion, but I'll venture to say the other forums don't like LP because we have a tendency to attract some of the more... "unsavory" individuals on the internet.
This has been evidenced by "alleged" rapists, bigots, pedophiles, racists and convicted murderers. I'm serious.

At least we aren't FYAD. v:v:v

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dooky Dingo posted:

This is a really weird place to be having this discussion, but I'll venture to say the other forums don't like LP because we have a tendency to attract some of the more... "unsavory" individuals on the internet.
This has been evidenced by "alleged" rapists, bigots, pedophiles, racists and convicted murderers. I'm serious.

Really? I thought it was as simple as "We're all game-loving goonlords who've not no money or friends so we watch other people play games for us for free." The usual SA stigmatizing, you know?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dooky Dingo posted:

I was only aware of 1 or 2 creepers ever sticking around for more than a day or two.

Unlike FYAD, GBS etc.

which tend to attract the worst kind of people (goons)
:xcom:

(Steelball, please help us and post an update. Look at what the thread is reduced to. I know you're in a funk right now and I know how hard it is to do poo poo in such a mood. Please try anyhow. For the thread.)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ViggyNash posted:

Really? I thought it was as simple as "We're all game-loving goonlords who've not no money or friends so we watch other people play games for us for free." The usual SA stigmatizing, you know?

A little of A, a little of B.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Section Z posted:

Some mods like to change around forum names sometimes. It happens. I thought it was worth a laugh when I first saw it.

ViggyNash posted:

Keeshhound posted:

A little of A, a little of B.
Yeah, something like this. SA humor at its finest, plus the fact that the subforums tend to be self-segregating, so goons create stereotypes of the ones they don't frequent.

ViggyNash posted:

I liked it back when it was the random news/photoshop subforum. :rip:

Yeah, me too. But it was lowtax who decided that GBS had gotten too serious, so he decided to make GBS 1.(whatever it is now), and now it's become what it is now. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I did like it better in its previous incarnation as well.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Speedball, I'm sorry for causing this derail by virtue of using a signature. But oh well, that's life, sometimes things can have consequences that seem almost unrelated to the cause. Like, I dunno, eating a fig and somehow triggering some guys fig related PTSD and getting the crap beaten out of you.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Strange derails are an LP tradition. you know you've got a good thread if the goons find something weird to talk about in it between updates.

As for 'Nofriendo' I thought all the Games subforums were getting funny namesat the time. I think Trad Games was 'Debate and Disco' or something like that.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Stephen9001 posted:

Like, I dunno, eating a fig and somehow triggering some guys fig related PTSD and getting the crap beaten out of you.

Please do not talk about my fig-related PTSD TUMBLR unless you use trigger warnings first, CIS-Fruit scum.
TIA.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dooky Dingo posted:

Please do not talk about my fig-related PTSD TUMBLR unless you use trigger warnings first, CIS-Fruit scum.
TIA.

Please stop eating figs unless you are Asian/Mediterranean because that's cultural appropriation.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...that's what's missing in the ant farm view of XCOM's base. A cafeteria! They have a bar, but that's it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

That explains why rookies have such terrible aim. They have yet to get used to the all-alcohol diet and are fighting aliens while completely wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

pun pundit posted:

That explains why rookies have such terrible aim. They have yet to get used to the all-alcohol diet and are fighting aliens while completely wasted.

Be honest, if you were told "Hey, we are being invaded by aliens, it is your job to fight them", wouldn't you want to be drunk for it?

• Locked thread