Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Here's one that's bugged me about Guardians Of the Galaxy

Why, in ~20 years, did Quinn never never open his mom's gift until the climax of the film?

Honestly, it sorta looked like it had already been opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It had been. That's where he got the name Star-Lord from.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
There people who won't delete a email/messenger/phone contact of some one who has passed away. Wont clean out their clothes from the closest because of the smell. Its the last gift his mom ever gave him, by opening it he is accepting the fact that she is gone.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Byzantine posted:

It had been. That's where he got the name Star-Lord from.

Only if you assume this is the first time she ever referred to him as such.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Darth Freddy posted:

There people who won't delete a email/messenger/phone contact of some one who has passed away. Wont clean out their clothes from the closest because of the smell. Its the last gift his mom ever gave him, by opening it he is accepting the fact that she is gone.

Yeah, when I worked for Verizon there were a bunch of people that would come in for like 45+ minutes because they water damaged a phone with their dead mom's texts on it or something. People are weird about that kind of stuff.

And the entire point of the gift is that he only opens it after he finds a new family.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

The fact that it doesn't make sense to you says all kinds of things about your relationships with your loved ones.

My mom passed away not long before Christmas a few years back, and you can be damned sure I opened my last gift(s) from her. If anything, it was more important to open them for me.

Not opening up someone's gift is a memory-insulting move, especially if it's the last one that person will ever give you.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MisterBibs posted:

My mom passed away not long before Christmas a few years back, and you can be damned sure I opened my last gift(s) from her. If anything, it was more important to open them for me.

Not opening up someone's gift is a memory-insulting move, especially if it's the last one that person will ever give you.

Is there a giant :spergin: that spits out lots of tiny :spergin:s? There should be for situations like this.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

People grieve in different ways.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Razorwired posted:

Yeah, when I worked for Verizon there were a bunch of people that would come in for like 45+ minutes because they water damaged a phone with their dead mom's texts on it or something. People are weird about that kind of stuff.

And the entire point of the gift is that he only opens it after he finds a new family.

Plus, doesn't she say on her deathbed to open it when she's gone?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's almost as if opening the gift would have meant he had to finally face the very death he literally ran away from. He would have to leave all hints of his denial behind and finally accept that his mother was actually dead. Beep boop such a :spergin: for not opening it

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
It's okay I often forget that people I know are still alive because human sentiment is a weakness and death reigns supreme

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
If you don't dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed first thing in the morning, I don't know what to tell you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really weird thing about Taken 3 is how in the end Liam Neeson is cleared of killing his wife and let go by the LAPD even though he committed hundreds of other crimes when on the run. Also just the way the bad guys framed him was incredibly sloppy and easily disproved.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Darth Freddy posted:

That seems kind of backwards. Whatever the gift is, you can be sure that he would treasure it and keep it for the reason you describe. But opening it, finding what it was that she gave him, is the opposite of that - it's making more of a connection, not throwing one away.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Strudel Man posted:

That seems kind of backwards. Whatever the gift is, you can be sure that he would treasure it and keep it for the reason you describe. But opening it, finding what it was that she gave him, is the opposite of that - it's making more of a connection, not throwing one away.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

People grieve in different ways.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know computers are portrayed badly to make them look cool in action movies, but the new Jack Ryan movie has him hacking a company by running a program that is twisting and pixelating the company's logo. Literally, twisting and coloring the logo of the company gave him the filez...

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
My girlfriend insisted that Sherlock was great (she's, thankfully, not into the fandom or any of the actors) so I gave it a shot.
While I liked the first episode, from that point on it seemed like it got campier and dumber. I'm really bothered by the fact that it seems to be that TV and films can't make a 'genius' unless they make him socially retarded.
I mean, Sherlock clearly suffers from. autism in this show. I think I read here that in the Imitation Game Cumberbatch also took that "retarded genius" approach, although I wouldn't know.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sherlock Holmes is pretty much an autistic person in the original stories as well. The BBC shows definitely overdo it, though.

As a lifelong Holmes fan, the weird fandom and obsession surrounding the BBC show (which is just "okay") irritates me a little bit.

I imagine this is what literary nerds felt like when Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet came out.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Sure. I can suspend disbelief enough to buy that as an explanation. But the specific examples people were bringing up weren't really supportive of that particular form of grieving.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Strudel Man posted:

Sure. I can suspend disbelief enough to buy that as an explanation. But the specific examples people were bringing up weren't really supportive of that particular form of grieving.

Beep boop suspending belief subroutines beep boop.

Stop spergin about Guardians of the Galaxy please. It literally has a talking tree.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Strudel Man posted:

As a human being, his hesitance to open the gift made perfect sense and provided closure for Peter's character arc.
I smiled and teared up when he finally felt ready to open it. He had decided it was time to stop running, grow up, and let himself care about someone other than Peter Quill. It was real and symbolic at the same time. It was beautiful and it was excellent storytelling.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

My girlfriend insisted that Sherlock was great (she's, thankfully, not into the fandom or any of the actors) so I gave it a shot.
While I liked the first episode, from that point on it seemed like it got campier and dumber. I'm really bothered by the fact that it seems to be that TV and films can't make a 'genius' unless they make him socially retarded.
I mean, Sherlock clearly suffers from. autism in this show. I think I read here that in the Imitation Game Cumberbatch also took that "retarded genius" approach, although I wouldn't know.

The problem with Sherlock as a character is how brash and blunt he is was a HUGE big deal back when he was first written, but nowadays, not so much. It's why they go a little over the top to make him even more a spergtacular asshat when they can. Same reason he smokes in the new one versus doing coke, because back then coke was about as frowned upon as cigs are now.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The problem with Sherlock as a character is how brash and blunt he is was a HUGE big deal back when he was first written, but nowadays, not so much. It's why they go a little over the top to make him even more a spergtacular asshat when they can. Same reason he smokes in the new one versus doing coke, because back then coke was about as frowned upon as cigs are now.

My problem with Sherlock is how, in spite of the above fact that Holmes is a huge rear end in a top hat, everybody seems to love him for it and fawn over him constantly. I have the same sort of problem with Moffat's seasons of Doctor Who, in that people who've barely met the Doctor just immediately fall in love with him. gently caress Moffat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I think the only person who actively hangs out with him in the new series is Watson. Everyone else is basically like "Oh, man gently caress this guy". He gets famous for being a good crime solver and has fans and whatnot, but other than whats-her-name (the love interest lady I can't remember the name of at the moment) most people who deal with him day to day think he's an asshat.

The cops learn to like him when they have some mysterious poo poo happening but I don't think any of them are really friends or anything.

Unless you mean the huge amount of fans from people loving the show, cause then I don't get it either. It's a decent show but it's not the second coming of christ like half the fandom thinks.

Ninja edit - It's been probably 2 years since I watched it, so I might not be remembering poo poo clearly when it comes to this.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Without having read the original Holmes novels, how does Robert Downey Jr. do in the movies?

I think Sherlock is a good series, but he sure can be a oval office. I think they say he's on the spectrum in the first episode, but it gets a bit tedious.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I liked em, but the sound mix was all hosed up in the first one.

We "hear" an inner monologue of his thoughts when he gets all into hyper detective mode, and in the first movie it sounds like he's mumbling poo poo.

They fixed it for the second movie though.

As far as if they are good movies, I liked em. I've never read the sherlock novels either.

A big difference between the movies and the show is that Watson is more prone to yell poo poo at Holmes for being a dick, and calls him out on his poo poo a few times.

Again, haven't seen the movie in a few years, so I might be remembering things incorrectly. If they are on netflix or something, they are at least worth a watch.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Sherlock says he's a functioning. Sociopath, but it's clear he's autistic.

Another problem with Sherlock, and many shows and movies...

"we're not so different, you and I".

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Unlike a lot of old books with way too much outdated/purple prose (I'm looking at you, Scarlet Letter, I still loathe that experience years later), the Sherlock stories are actually a breeze and really entertaining. Even better? You can get the well-narrated audiobook for free in the US (and no, not as part of the "free trial" stuff).

First get the Kindle book for free:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083Z12V0

Then go to Audible and get the whispersinc audiobook upgrade for free (even if you already have an account, no signup BS):
http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-Thrillers/The-Memoirs-of-Sherlock-Holmes-Audiobook/B003B3AEW2

Er... Looks like it's $2.99 to do the upgrade now, but it might just be showing that way because I already bought it; in either case, the book is still showing as free

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

I dunno, I think the only person who actively hangs out with him in the new series is Watson. Everyone else is basically like "Oh, man gently caress this guy". He gets famous for being a good crime solver and has fans and whatnot, but other than whats-her-name (the love interest lady I can't remember the name of at the moment) most people who deal with him day to day think he's an asshat.

John falls for Sherlock like nobody's business, of course there's Molly the lab tech, and then there's Irene Adler, who is not only a lesbian, but also falls in love with Sherlock after meeting him, like, two times?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Irene Adler, who is not only a lesbian, but also falls in love with Sherlock after meeting him, like, two times?

She's a hell of a narcissist, and his sharp cheekbones remind her of her own meatless hips

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, Sherlock was autistic before people knew what autism was. The descriptions of him in the books suggest that maybe he was based on a real autistic person Doyle knew.

Like... he was fully capable of playing sheet music on the violin, and would if asked, but left on his own was just as happy plucking the strings seemingly at random, just to hear the sound.

My favourite Sherlock Holmes book is the one written by Holmes and not Watson. It's like it's an answer to the criticism saying 'Oh, they don't give you the clues to work it out' because at one point Holmes writes "and I did this, this, and this and one more thing which I won't tell you because it'll give it away."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lamprey Cannon posted:

John falls for Sherlock like nobody's business, of course there's Molly the lab tech, and then there's Irene Adler, who is not only a lesbian, but also falls in love with Sherlock after meeting him, like, two times?

The only people who dislike him are Lestrade's underlings, who are just jealous that he's way better at everything than they are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Non Serviam posted:

Watch Elementary, it's way better.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sherlock Holmes is pretty much an autistic person in the original stories as well.
He never came across that way to me. He's temperamental and often inconsiderate, but in the little bits we get of him outside of solving a case he often seems cheerful and gregarious.

Same reason he smokes in the new one versus doing coke, because back then coke was about as frowned upon as cigs are now.
The cigarette thing is from the original stories (except it was a pipe instead of cigarettes).

mng posted:

Without having read the original Holmes novels, how does Robert Downey Jr. do in the movies?
He's a magical ninja rather than a brilliant detective, so, badly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some documentary/behind the scenes thing on netflix tossed up the cig/coke comparison.

Something about how it was distasteful back then to do coke, but something people saw a lot of other people do, kinda like how cigs are handled today. Didn't know about the pipe thing though, that's pretty cool.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Tiggum posted:

He's a magical ninja rather than a brilliant detective, so, badly.

There is no combination of the phrase "Robert Downey Jr: Magical Ninja" that doesn't make me want to immediately watch/read/participate in whatever that phrase describes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Watch Elementary, it's way better.

Yeah, I was gonna post the same thing, I ended up liking Elementary's approach to the character much more. He still has difficulties connecting to other people, but that's more due to a number of relatable and understandable personal issues rather than Sherlock's 'beep boop how do humans work?'.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

IshmaelZarkov posted:

There is no combination of the phrase "Robert Downey Jr: Magical Ninja" that doesn't make me want to immediately watch/read/participate in whatever that phrase describes.

Robert Jr: Downey Magical Ninja

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Robert Jr: Downey Magical Ninja

Sir, I stand by my statement. :colbert:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In one of the earlier Bumberbatch Sherlock episodes they have a bit where he didn't realise Earth revolves around the Sun, or something ridiculous like that. Was that Sherlock (or the writer) just having a laugh, or an actual thing we're meant to think he thinks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's actually a thing Conan Doyle originally wrote. The reasoning is that Holmes can't keep everything in mind and that particular bit of knowledge isn't relevant to his work. It makes sense on a certain level, but mostly to Holmes himself.